Durable 780 express finish

PDA

ID-shooting
January 20, 2013, 10:51 AM
I have this old 870 express i picked up really cheap and added a few do-dads to. I use this gun to bang around the woods, desert, and such. Goes to camp make Yogi behave, pound around chasing pheasant, and a few grouse. Love this gun, goes everywhere. The problem I have is the finish is getting rather thin and I fight rust on the receiver. I keep it oiled that that tends to wear off quickly.

I have read about all the different cold finishes out there. I do want to keep the work cheap. Any reccomendations for a cheap, durable finish? Dont need want pretty, just want it to be tough.

If you enjoyed reading about "Durable 780 express finish" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmr40
January 20, 2013, 11:50 AM
Can of Krylon. Refinish as needed.

rcmodel
January 20, 2013, 12:01 PM
In the mean time, try this:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=4110525&postcount=7

Just clean all the rust off and apply a couple of coats.

rc

dfariswheel
January 20, 2013, 07:26 PM
If you want really durable, one of the epoxy gun finishes will last very well.
Some require mixing and spraying, some come in a spray can.
Some require baking in a kitchen oven, some are air curing.

Brownell's sell most of the good ones.
Lauer Duracoat comes in many colors and is one of the toughest and most durable.
Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II is good.

For easy and cheap, engine block paint or most any flat finish heavy duty paint will work and last fairly well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Durable 780 express finish" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!