Trouble posting, replying, and editing

PDA

Route666
March 7, 2004, 08:29 PM
At the moment I can't post replies, or edit my original. I'm lucky I got the thread posted after the second go. I don't know if this will post. Even if it does, I probably won't be able to reply to it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trouble posting, replying, and editing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
March 7, 2004, 08:34 PM
More info would be useful! Hope you'll see this!

Are you getting error messages? Are you getting prompts to log in again? Need to know what happens when these actions fail you.

There are times when cookie removal and PC reboot can help ..... and you can do a search on THR cookies selectively ... and delete only those.

Until knowing more tho - hard to diagnose this.

Route666
March 7, 2004, 08:35 PM
ok, it all seems to be fine now, just after I posted this thread...

almost instantaneous again, and it actually works.

Route666
March 7, 2004, 08:39 PM
I'll tell you what was happening anyways.

I was posting a thread, and when I clicked post, it said no forum specified, even thought to create it I clicked on create thread button in a forum. This may have been a time issue though, because it took me a while to write the post.

The second time I tried, it sorta hung for ages, not loading any page. I closed it, and fortunately it actually did post the thread.

Then I tried editing, and I edited and clicked the edit button, and it took ages before it told me page not found (standard internet explorer message).

Same thing happened with replying.

I guess the database was having a re-optimise or something.

P95Carry
March 7, 2004, 09:01 PM
Glad it seems OK for you now.

Interesting tho .. you have some issues I have at times. My machine is a work machine and I doubt I reboot more than once a week! Running Win 2k Pro. This doesn't help at times.

If I get a "no forum specified" ... then I watch my connection icon ... and if data transfer dried up .. after a pause I hit ''submit'' again .. that usually does it. At times the post is ''taken'' but does not appear so ... if then you click ''submit'' you might get a ''flood control'' message .... can't post closer than 60 seconds apart. That'll mean it has ''taken''. Just occasionally we get double taps .. hard to avoid.

The error 404 deal too, I get at times.

I try various tricks ... sometimes removing the ''gotonewpost'' from URL and retrying works .. sometimes too, one browser window seems to get ''tired'' !! I transfer URL currently being sought .. to a fresh browser window (IE6 this is) and quit old one.

Just now and again tho .. I get a totally unmoveable error 404 .. so I leave that link a while and continue on .. coming back later when usually it'll work.

Worst cases seem to be threads I have visited many times ... and when they get long.

One suggestion ... if you do a long post and don't want it lost ... type your entry in a text editor (notepad or whatever) and then ''select all'' and copy and paste that into message window .. at least then if it vanishes into cyberspace .. your efforts are not all wasted .. try again.

Route666
March 7, 2004, 09:16 PM
Thanks for helping!

I've also noticed the things you have, about windows getting tired, etc. Not specific to any forum either, happens anywhere.

I already take precautions on saving posts that I don't want lost. Usually I just copy it before I post it. Sometimes this doesn't work, like when I'm typing an email, it comes back out as garbled crud.

Thanks for the gotonewpost tip.

tyme
March 7, 2004, 11:04 PM
Just FYI...

When IE gives the standard 404 "page not found" error, that may not be true. IE uses that page for a variety of problems.

I'm not sure this fixes all of it, but if you want _somewhat_ more accurate error messages, go to Tools->Internet Options. Go to the "Advanced" tab. Under the "Browsing" section, uncheck "Show friendly HTTP error messages".

P95Carry
March 7, 2004, 11:13 PM
Interesting thought tyme .. I have unchecked mine and will see what happens.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Trouble posting, replying, and editing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!