New York Gun Felons Better Run and Hide-Gov. Cuomo Has Your Number

PDA

bushmaster1313
January 20, 2013, 12:58 PM
Any potential gun felon in New York, who even dreams of putting 8, 9 or 10 rounds in a 10 round magazine should go to a different state to commit their nefarious deed.

You see, even though 10 round magazines will be grandfathered in under the 2013 New York Safe Act, it is now absolutely prohibited under the law to load it with more than 7 bullets.

Thank you Governor Cuomo, I feel safer already.

If you enjoyed reading about "New York Gun Felons Better Run and Hide-Gov. Cuomo Has Your Number" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
xXxplosive
January 20, 2013, 01:00 PM
IMO.........if you dig deep enough....this guy could be impeached.

fdashes
January 20, 2013, 01:01 PM
I think I will move to NY...Cuomo has is all under control now.

jamesbeat
January 20, 2013, 01:33 PM
I for one feel a lot safer now.

He sure foiled those criminals!

[/sarcasm]

Sav .250
January 20, 2013, 01:41 PM
I see a new job opening in the state of NY. Chief Inspector for over-loaded mags. Of course, this does not apply to the Bad-guys as they could care less about numbers. Their motto is, fill it till it`s full.

klyph
January 20, 2013, 02:01 PM
With a 40% hit rate (better than nypd) and 2 hits per assailant (bare minimum to incapacitate), you now are unlikely to be able to fight off more than one aggressor. They have leveled the playing field between an armed citizen and two thugs with their bare hands.

bushmaster1313
January 20, 2013, 02:48 PM
Does the 7 round limit in a 10 round magazine apply in the home?

nathan
January 20, 2013, 02:57 PM
They are paying homage to Kimber whose corporate office is in New York State.

Fred_G
January 20, 2013, 03:02 PM
Does the 7 round limit in a 10 round magazine apply in the home?
Yes. And I think you have a year to sell your magazine out of state, or destroy it.

ATBackPackin
January 20, 2013, 03:17 PM
Yes. And I think you have a year to sell your magazine out of state, or destroy it.

I thought ten rounders were grandfathered, but could only be loaded to seven rounds and the the pre-ban, prior to '94, would have to be sold out of state within a year.

Fred_G
January 20, 2013, 03:22 PM
You are right ATBack.

"MAGAZINE CAPACITY

Magazines are restricted to seven bullets, down from 10. If you owned a 10-round clip before the law, you can keep it, but legally load only seven rounds.

If you own a pre-1994 clip that holds more than 10 rounds, you have a year to sell them to a licensed dealer or to someone out of state, or disable them. Or surrender them to authorities."

http://www.newsday.com/news/region-state/what-new-york-state-s-new-gun-law-says-1.4477221

I misread. :)

hso
January 20, 2013, 03:22 PM
See how easy it is to be confused by nonsensical and contradictory regulations?

BTW, Kimber has mags with better than 7 round capacities.

hq
January 20, 2013, 03:26 PM
Last I checked, the number of unlicensed firearms in New York was officially estimated at 2,000,000+. That's over forty times more than the number of participants in New York City Marathon. I'd reckon few of their owners are going to 'run' anywhere and 'hiding' items the size of firearms isn't very difficult... ;)

Fred_G
January 20, 2013, 03:34 PM
See how easy it is to be confused by nonsensical and contradictory regulations?

BTW, Kimber has mags with better than 7 round capacities.
Yep. And you better hope you don't make an honest mistake and load 8 in a magazine... Just out of curiosity, can you have 7 in the mag and one in the chamber, or is it like 6+1???

PONTIACDM
January 20, 2013, 03:45 PM
Why does New York residents elect these people? Do the majority of residents agree with these law makers? I'd like to hear the opinion of a resident.

JamesDeWolf
January 20, 2013, 03:55 PM
THATS OK AT A 150 YARDS I HOLD 1/4,CAN load 2MAG IN UNDER 5 SEC ,I'M THAT GOOD

JamesDeWolf
January 20, 2013, 04:00 PM
YES

Inebriated
January 20, 2013, 04:01 PM
"MAGAZINE CAPACITY

Magazines are restricted to seven bullets, down from 10. If you owned a 10-round clip before the law, you can keep it, but legally load only seven rounds.

If you own a pre-1994 clip that holds more than 10 rounds, you have a year to sell them to a licensed dealer or to someone out of state, or disable them. Or surrender them to authorities."

1, the "magazine" "clip" interchangeability is really starting to seem deliberate.

2, they're allowing 10 rounders, with the stipulation that you only load 7, but they're banning mags that hold more? What sense does that make? Is having a 15-round magazine going to be just enough to tempt you to load it completely? Do they really think it makes a difference what magazine those 7 rounds are coming out of? Idiots... I swear to god, I hope that jackass is impeached.

Tom from WNY
January 20, 2013, 04:02 PM
First: As I stated in another thread, the NY Legislature (Senate and Assembly) is disproportionatley Progressive Liberal due to population based districting that favors areas from Westchester County south through NYC and LI. Areas north of that tend to be quite a bit more conservative and gun friendly by nature, with the exception of large urban ares. In WNY where I live, our elected representatives were overwhelmingly agains the Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act.

Second: Here's a real example of stupidity by legislation in action. If you are at an incorporated Gun Club; you may legally load your 10 round magazine with 10 rounds. The same holds true if you are shooting in a match sponsored under the rules of the National Rifle Association or Intenational Metallic Handgun Association. If not, then you may only load 7. Loading more than 7 in your home allegedly will be treated as a violation posession that will cost you $200 for the first time. It gets somewhat more serious after that.

nathan
January 20, 2013, 04:04 PM
Kimber 1911s with seven round mags will be flying off the shelves fast. They are a NY based company as well.

Fred_G
January 20, 2013, 04:43 PM
"2, they're allowing 10 rounders, with the stipulation that you only load 7, but they're banning mags that hold more? What sense does that make? Is having a 15-round magazine going to be just enough to tempt you to load it completely? Do they really think it makes a difference what magazine those 7 rounds are coming out of? Idiots... I swear to god, I hope that jackass is impeached."

Come on, you put gubment and sense in the same statement? :what: :)

PONTIACDM
January 20, 2013, 06:07 PM
First: As I stated in another thread, the NY Legislature (Senate and Assembly) is disproportionatley Progressive Liberal due to population based districting that favors areas from Westchester County south through NYC and LI. Areas north of that tend to be quite a bit more conservative and gun friendly by nature, with the exception of large urban ares. In WNY where I live, our elected representatives were overwhelmingly agains the Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act.

Second: Here's a real example of stupidity by legislation in action. If you are at an incorporated Gun Club; you may legally load your 10 round magazine with 10 rounds. The same holds true if you are shooting in a match sponsored under the rules of the National Rifle Association or Intenational Metallic Handgun Association. If not, then you may only load 7. Loading more than 7 in your home allegedly will be treated as a violation posession that will cost you $200 for the first time. It gets somewhat more serious after that.
Thank you Tom for the insight.

ball3006
January 20, 2013, 07:15 PM
Just how are they going to know the mag was made before 94? I suppose the NY gestapo will be beating on you guys door with a search warrant looking for illegal mags. Just where is the state going to house all you felons? chris3

Fred_G
January 20, 2013, 07:38 PM
Just how are they going to know the mag was made before 94? I suppose the NY gestapo will be beating on you guys door with a search warrant looking for illegal mags. Just where is the state going to house all you felons? chris3
My guess... Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico, and Arizona. ;))

351 WINCHESTER
January 20, 2013, 08:19 PM
Does this law apply to law enforcement and federal "agents" "working" in NY?

HankR
January 20, 2013, 08:31 PM
Yep. And you better hope you don't make an honest mistake and load 8 in a magazine... Just out of curiosity, can you have 7 in the mag and one in the chamber, or is it like 6+1???

According to the part of the law that I read, you can have 7 in the mag. This implies that if you take an 8 round 1911 mag, load 8, insert the mag and drop the slide you have committed a crime. If you load 7 or less, insert the mag, drop the slide, then remove the mag and top it off to 7 (not 8) you are okey-dokey. So, two identical guns in two identical states of charge, one criminally arrived at, the other legit. See, it makes perfect sense.

Just how are they going to know the mag was made before 94?

I think that New York had their own AWB that did not sunset when the 1994 ban did. So, any mag with greater than 10 round capacity made after 1994 is already illegal there. I haven't bought many mags since the boating accident, but suspect that they stopped stamping "for law enforcement only" on them after 2004, so in most of the world it would be hard to prove for certain mags, but in New York it won't matter in a month, any standard cap mag (over 10) will be verboten.

ball3006
January 20, 2013, 08:56 PM
I forgot all pistols are registered in NY. All they have to do is look the mfg by serial number or registration date....duh.....Forgive me, I live in Texas......chris3

Fred_G
January 20, 2013, 09:01 PM
I forgot all pistols are registered in NY. All they have to do is look the mfg by serial number or registration date....duh.....Forgive me, I live in Texas......chris3
OH just wow.

blkbrd666
January 20, 2013, 09:25 PM
the "magazine" "clip" interchangeability is really starting to seem deliberate.

...and annoying.

Fred_G
January 20, 2013, 10:14 PM
OOps.

Fred_G
January 20, 2013, 10:15 PM
...and annoying.
OOps, Now that is an ammo clip... :0

Kiln
January 20, 2013, 11:25 PM
Hide your now illegal magazines in the same place you hide your non compliant sized sodas.

justice06rr
January 21, 2013, 02:18 AM
These NY laws will finally solve all gun-related crimes in NY!

New Yorkers can finally sleep soundly at night, and walk confidently down dark alleys
ROFL

January 21, 2013, 02:21 AM
As far as I'm concerned, Cuomo = friend of criminals.

tarosean
January 21, 2013, 02:34 AM
Just how are they going to know the mag was made before 94?

If the gun had the capability to hold more than 10. i.e. Glock 17, High Power, 92FS etc, etc. etc. They came with high capacity magazines prior to 1994. They were grandfathered in, but now illegal

dickz
January 21, 2013, 06:28 AM
Dear New Yorkers,
Please send me all your illegal mags and I will store them for you free of charge. When they repeal the new law I will send them back. :)

22-rimfire
January 21, 2013, 08:26 AM
The law is nearly un-enforceable. A criminal is not going to pay much attention to this law any more than most other laws that don't suit his purposes.

matt 7mm
January 21, 2013, 10:08 AM
I would like to see the southeast corner of new york split of from the rest of the state and form its own state so that western and northern ny could have normal laws and taxes.All the idiotic morons in NYC that want to be under complete care and control of the state could have there way and the rest of the state would not have to suffer

tarakian
January 21, 2013, 10:25 AM
They bill they passed did not exempt law enforcement. Once this was noticed, an official statement was made that law enforcement was again exempted from following the law.

Unfortunately, in New York the tail wags the dog. Our laws are driven by the politicians in NYC and it's surrounding areas. I can't even call them liberals, because a true liberal is accepting of other peoples rights and beliefs. Not a single politician from my area voted for this abomination, so everyone please understand that NY and NYC are not the same thing.

USSR
January 21, 2013, 10:29 AM
I would like to see the southeast corner of new york split of from the rest of the state and form its own state so that western and northern ny could have normal laws and taxes.All the idiotic morons in NYC that want to be under complete care and control of the state could have there way and the rest of the state would not have to suffer

Hear, Hear!!!

Don

goldie
January 21, 2013, 11:18 AM
The 5 buroughs are causing all the trouble for the rest of the state;& they have the nerve to call it the "freedom tower";all they need now is a giant swastika on the top if it in red, white & blue....

GAF
January 22, 2013, 10:05 AM
I heard a rumor that New York will ban any gas tank that hold over 10 gallons of gas. Those of you who already have cars with 10 gallon gas tanks will be grandfathered in ,but you will only be allowed to put 7 gallons in the tank.

New York City will have it own rules and will limit the gallons to 5 in the tank once you enter the city. Bloomberg and the state say to you :neener:

I have been looking at murder rates for a few states and have come to this conclusion. Take Milwaukee Wisconsin's murders out of the statistics and the rest of the state looks pretty peaceful. Do the same for NYC or Chicago or most any big city and you will see where the real problem is. IMHO

If you enjoyed reading about "New York Gun Felons Better Run and Hide-Gov. Cuomo Has Your Number" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!