trying to get some values for my uncle

PDA

ccsniper
January 20, 2013, 06:07 PM
My uncle is trying to find out the value of several guns, some for selling and some just to know. Just need ballpark and I have no pics sorry.

Marlin model 1894 Pump, reblued to perfection. He has not ever shot this gun, the previous owner did.

Winchester 1897 no bluing, dark wood with slight gouges, functions great. 28" Full choke

2x Original Ruger Bearcat with box and even the receipt. Absolutely pristine condition, never fired.

He was trying to sell the 97 and the bearcats at a local gunshow and they were trying to low ball him. Would like to know what to tell him to offer, said he would have taken 400 for the Ruger if the guy would offer it. The vender was trying to give 250 for it.

If you enjoyed reading about "trying to get some values for my uncle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wv109323
January 20, 2013, 07:03 PM
Marlin 1894 is not a pump it is a lever. It all depends on age and caliber. Reblue may actually take away from it's value. Most any 1894 would go for 300 to 350. It may be worth $1000.00
1897 Winchester should be able to get 250 to 400.
Ruger Bearcat- $400.00 might be a little high but 350.00 to 375.00 is not out of the question. The second generation is not as desirable as 1X.

Steel Horse Rider
January 20, 2013, 10:32 PM
I think maybe your Uncle should rethink his efforts to sell. If he was trying to sell them to a vendor for retail price the vendor would not make any money when he resold them. If he wants retail price then he needs to market them to the end user and not someone who is only going to put them back on the market. Do you have a shooting range or club that would allow him to post for sale posters or a Thrifty Nickel type of paper that takes gun ads? Or he could put them in a shop on consignment as that would give him a higher return than simply selling them to the shop.

ccsniper
January 21, 2013, 12:54 AM
Marlin 1894 is not a pump it is a lever

You are correct, I had the year model wrong. It is a Model 24 I believe.

The second generation is not as desirable as 1X

Sorry I meant he has two, not 2nd gen. I believe both to be the first generation. One has a 4 digit serial.

ccsniper
January 21, 2013, 12:57 AM
I think maybe your Uncle should rethink his efforts to sell. If he was trying to sell them to a vendor for retail price the vendor

He was trying to sell them at a gun show, the vendors kept trying to pick them off of him so they could resale them, he was not interested in selling to a vendor at all.

boommer
January 21, 2013, 02:39 AM
gun broker, guns America, auction arms and such sites see what they are SELLING for not what they are WISHING for. Condition of them is what going to make them a 5$ gun or a 1000.00 $ gun

303tom
January 21, 2013, 11:29 AM
The Marlin he should be able to get $500.00 any day.
The Bearcat`s I would say 250 or 300 bucks.
Now 1897 Winchester, depending on the condition I seen them go for $300.00 to well over 2000 smackers.
Don`t let anyone get over on the old man, if someone would offer him say 400 bucks a piece, that would be a good deal for the both of em..............

If you enjoyed reading about "trying to get some values for my uncle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!