I was thinking....

PDA

CharlieDeltaJuliet
January 20, 2013, 08:41 PM
I know the current push is trying to ban sales without FFLdealers and background checks. Is it even possible without a full firearm registry? I just do not see how it would be possible. I understand it would be against the law, but the fact is, they really don't know who owns what...

If you enjoyed reading about "I was thinking...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kiln
January 20, 2013, 08:57 PM
This will pave the way for sting operations involving FTF firearm sales.

This isn't about protecting us, this is about having a new outlet for rooting out private sales.

beatledog7
January 20, 2013, 10:22 PM
I know the current push is trying to ban sales without FFL dealers and background checks. Is it even possible without a full firearm registry? I just do not see how it would be possible. I understand it would be against the law, but the fact is, they really don't know who owns what...

A lot of private sellers "out" themselves by taking a gun to a show and walking it around or by advertising on various media a gun for sale FTF. Presumably, a ban on FTF sales (no FFL) would deter these sorts sort of things.

But if my neighbor and I are are chatting over the back fence and we strike a deal for my shotgun, there'd be no way any law could have any chance of stopping that because there'd be no way of detecting it--short of full registration (or airborne neighborhood surveillance drones).

FROGO207
January 20, 2013, 10:47 PM
Make no mistake about this, it is just another way to regulate into being another use tax at each transfer. And a way to go along for a few years to get as many people on board then a EO before the end of the next 4 years to require reporting all transfers retroactive back to and including all bound books that are now being required to be kept anyway.

BHP FAN
January 20, 2013, 10:51 PM
...then confiscation. these crooks are not fooling anyone.

Twiki357
January 21, 2013, 12:05 AM
I am totally against the universal back ground (NICS) checks. They would not accomplish anything except increasing the costs to the buyer and creating an unnecessary hassle and delay in the transaction. And... Without a total firearms registration, it would not be enforceable other than with sting operations that would be cost and manpower prohibitive.

swag
January 21, 2013, 07:38 AM
Believe it or not, 1996 Australia, they used amnesties, where you could hand the newly illegal guns in to be destroyed. People were pulling out family heirlooms, single shot .22's that hadn't been used in 50 years, and handing them in to be destroyed. Possibly saving the lives of a few rabbits in the future and ensuring less father son time. Of course criminals were the only people not caught up in this. At this time a firearms bureau was created within the Police service, PTA's created (permission to acquire) costing $30 per firearm purchase.All sales through licenced dealer or witnessed by police. Mandatory safe storage requirements, to be subject to police inspection. Semi Auto rifles and pump action shotguns banned. Genuine reason to own a firearm must be able to be proven, being *rural landowner *hunting(must be menber of club) *target(must be club member)*collector(must be club member). To be a member of a club means meeting recorded minimum requirements. no, they can't stop you from having an unregistered/recently illegal firearm, but if you can't take it to the range, if a farmer dosen't want you using something illegal on his land and if it worried you to even transport it in your boot, well, how much pleasure would you really take in having something rotting away in the ground.
Theres more, but I don't want to depress you, or is that depress myself. I was 16 at the time, was so disgusted by the whole thing i left shooting behind for 20 years,only getting back into it a few years ago, and jumping through hoops to do it. You know what, though. I don't think they're done.I can't imagine the anti's sitting back saying "that'll do". Everyones got an agenda. Mine is to hunt and fish more. Theres is to stop me.
I don't mean to go on and on, never really had my say before on what I think and thought of what happenned and what it could lead to, not trying to scare monger, but "cost prohibitive", it's not like politicians reach into there back pockets to pay for things. How much public money would they find to buy what they consider the moral higher ground? There place in history? Billions.

If you enjoyed reading about "I was thinking...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!