How did this fire happen?


January 21, 2013, 09:36 AM
I just read in our local news that a shooting range caught fire when static electricity created during tumbling of brass? The artical didn't add any other details to help determine the cause. Apparently none of the powders or primers ignited according to the FD spokes person, but the fire was large enough to need 5 crews to extinguish it.


If you enjoyed reading about "How did this fire happen?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
Magnum Shooter
January 21, 2013, 09:40 AM
could it be unburned gunpowder down range?

January 21, 2013, 09:59 AM
An internal AC connector finally vibrated loose enough to arc and ignite the plastic at this link. Reloaders place many different additives in with there cleaning product . Static electricity may interact with one?? Look up the MSDS for the additive you use. Any thing flammable in it?

January 21, 2013, 07:20 PM
Reporters and editors are English majors. When they don't understand something technical, they fill in the blanks with popular myths, conjecture, and common misconceptions.

Never, ever rely on a technical or scientific explanation you read in the news. We know how innacurate they are reporting about anything relating to firearms; they're not any better with any other technical information.

January 21, 2013, 09:45 PM
If there was enough dust created by the tumbling(think walnut shells or dry corn cob) contained in a confined area, it easily could've been ignited by the spark of the brushes in the motor or by a spark created from static electricity. Happens all the time in wood shops and grain elevators. Many times this dust is almost explosive when it ignites. Too often these fires are associated with the term "spontaneous combustion" but more times than not, the dry conditions that created the fine flammable dust create the static electricity.

January 21, 2013, 10:05 PM
Thats why I use dryer sheets. Not only does it collect dust but it reduces static electricity.

January 21, 2013, 10:13 PM
Range Floor sweepings in a bucket beside the tumbler I betcha!

During the initial investigation into the cause of the fire, firefighters learned that an employee was processing brass shell casings from spent ammunition when a spark was created, which ignited some powder inside of a bucket, Langejans said.


January 22, 2013, 12:31 AM
I bet your right RC! Another good reason to keep our reloading area clean and free of any possible hazzards too.


If you enjoyed reading about "How did this fire happen?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!