Outreach to the Spanish-speaking community

PDA

Artigas
January 21, 2013, 02:54 PM
Good day, folks. I have been thinking a lot recently of the growing Latino community here in the United States (I am part of it) and its potential to influence the course of our nation. I have seen some effort to share the importance of the right to keep and bear arms, especially in the language many of us consider our mother tongue, but I still feel more can and should be done. We cannot afford to let the antis continue to prey on the hearts and minds of such a large segment of our population uncontested. With this in mind I have recently created a blog, the link to which is in my signature, that seeks to reach out, in Spanish, to this demographic. This will be a single-issue, non-partisan affair. Anyone who is interested or knows someone who might be, please pass this along. I have one article so far and a lot of prettying-up to do, but I think it's a good start.

Mods, I checked the rules and did not find anything prohibiting a plug for another site. If this is not acceptable, please let me know.

If you enjoyed reading about "Outreach to the Spanish-speaking community" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911austin
January 21, 2013, 04:15 PM
If you could make up and post a PDF flyer describing your blog I would print some out and post them in areas of Austin. I don’t speak Spanish but will help where I can.

Ashcons
January 21, 2013, 05:07 PM
This (http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/opinion/2013/01/15/gun-control-why-latinos-should-care-about-second-amendment/) may be of interest to you.

hso
January 21, 2013, 06:21 PM
Good idea!

Do you have an english version, google translate looses some of the emphasis?

BTW, that's probably the best use of cars in the argument I've seen!

Artigas
January 21, 2013, 08:20 PM
Wow, thanks for the responses, fellas!

I will get to work on some flyers. That's a very kind offer, 1911 Austin. I was born and raised in Texas, by the way.

Thanks for the article, Ashcons. I'm going to get in touch with the author.

hso, the translation would go something like this:

What do you know about guns?

Lately I've been thinking about a topic, which is how our familiarity with firearms changes our perception of them.

I remember as a child my father took me to the countryside to teach me how to shoot a .22 caliber rifle. I'd never done it before, and I remember to this day many details of that experience. Suffice to say, it left a mark. I had fun, but I would have been a little nervous--my mother certainly was, and stayed in the van that and every other time she was present when me and my father, and then my younger sisters, went to shoot.

Today I don't feel the same nerves. Why the difference today? The firearms are no less powerful--rather, now I'm used to practicing with larger caliber guns than that little rifle, designed for a youth. Nevertheless, the experience is not the same as before. In fact, it is a little more boring now than it was in those early times. For my mother, on the other hand, little has changed.

What caused the difference in attitude was one thing, and one thing alone: ​​experience.

To make it easier to understand this principle, let's use an example: the automobile. It is not a perfect example--perfect analogies are few in this world--but for our purposes at this time, it will be of service. Now, it is necessary to recognize that there is a big difference between having or carrying, and using: to set rules regarding possession is not as innocent as setting rules regarding use, although the intent of both kinds of rules is supposedly for the public good.

Do you remember the first time you got behind the wheel of a car? What was it like? Surely something to cause nervous feelings, right? But now, what's it like to drive? Surely it has become commonplace, not something awe-inspiring, nor anything to make the heart beat. We still respect the fact that the car is a potentially dangerous machine, but now we understand--not only because we have been told, but from experience--that the car is a tool that we are able to control according to our will. Now we understand, not just by hearing it, but by having lived it, that careful driving is our own responsibility.

Now back to the issue of weapons. People that know them are not afraid of them in and of themselves, though perhaps they respect their potential more than others, since they know that potential from experience. The people who know a little about guns are not so afraid of them, but perhaps they are dubious about weapons with which they have no experience. People that are entirely or almost entirely unfamiliar with firearms often feel great apprehension at the thought of them, and can only imagine them as symbols of bad and agents of evil.

Now imagine you never had the opportunity to learn to drive a car, or be a passenger in one. Nor have your neighbors and friends, with rare exception. You see in the news that cars are involved in all kinds of evil, from fender-benders to bank robberies and accidents resulting in the deaths of many innocent people. What will you think about cars? As ridiculous as it seems, you probably will think that the cars are good for nothing but to evil, and it probably won't occur to you that the car can be used for good or be useful. You will probably even support those laws that make it impossible or very, very difficult for common people to buy or own them.

This is the same situation that many people are in with respect to weapons. They have not seen them but in the hands of police. They have not used them nor know many people who have used them, and the few they do know have not done so very safely (e.g., those that get drunk and shoot in the air to bring in the new year)--this causes poor opinion of guns. Finally, they see on the news reports of robberies and murders and end up thinking that guns are irrevocably affiliated with evil. They do not stop to think that guns, like cars, can be useful and important. Unfortunately, not only that, but these people are going to support those laws and rules that remove these alleged evils from the hands of ordinary people, since isn't it obvious that weapons serve no righteous purpose?

A large part of the problem, then, is this lack of experience with weapons, leading to a phobia of them. These same people, and you might even be one of them, in turn have the power to vote and decide for all of us the rules that will be implemented with respect to firearms. Since this is the case, and since it is everyone's responsibility to vote knowing what we are voting about, I invite every honest person who is unfamiliar with guns to get to know them, under good instruction, and respecting them with these four safety rules:

1. Treat every gun as if it were loaded.

2. Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.

3. Do not touch the trigger of a gun until you are ready to shoot.

4. Always be sure of your target and what's behind it.

If they do, I can promise them two things: they will have fun, and they will achieve a better understanding of what guns are. If we are going to be voting and instructing future generations about the matter, then really educating ourselves about the issue at hand is little to ask. We owe it to all those whose rights are at stake--namely, you, me, and our children.

Maybe now you don't like guns, but imagine: how would your life and your perception of the car be if you had never learned to drive?

I tweaked Google's translation of it.

Red Sky
January 21, 2013, 11:11 PM
I will pass this along to friends and spread flyers in the Houston area when they become available. Great idea!

VVelox
January 23, 2013, 05:05 AM
One thing I would hit own is gun controls current and historic links with racism in this country. While all the history I am aware of in regards to it revolves around blacks, it would definitely worth hitting on as latinos are another minority and if one is asked to select to be defenseless one should be well aware of the history of the subject when it applies to others.

Also may be worth while looking around seeing what could be dug up when it comes to gun control specifically targeted at latinos in the SW US. Not aware of any off hand, but still something worthwhile looking into.

Basically the point of this all is to basically say look what has been done to this other minority and how it was done, do we really wish to ever run the risk of us facing the same problem? This is a powerful message as it also allows you to bridge it into the black community as well and join together to make a more powerful and cohesive voice.

Artigas
January 23, 2013, 09:23 AM
Great idea! Thanks for the input. I will do just that.

Ryanxia
January 23, 2013, 12:04 PM
Great idea.

1911austin
January 23, 2013, 03:07 PM
One thing I would hit own is gun controls current and historic links with racism in this country. While all the history I am aware of in regards to it revolves around blacks, it would definitely worth hitting on as latinos are another minority and if one is asked to select to be defenseless one should be well aware of the history of the subject when it applies to others.

This is a great angle. I don’t think we would suggest that any group of people armed themselves if we planned on doing them any harm.

marksg
January 24, 2013, 09:33 AM
I will defiantly past this to a friend of mine. He is Cuban/American (new citizen) and i have taken him to the range with me a few times now. His English is a lot better than my Spanish, but it takes me a while to get him to understand some things.:banghead:

I have been trying to explain almost everything in your article but it has been a slow process for me .This sounds like just the ticket.

Thank you very much

Artigas
January 24, 2013, 10:38 AM
That's great! I'm glad it could be of use. The article one poster linked to above was also written by an American of Cuban descent and talks about Castro's and other Latin American dictators' gun control schemes.

j.kramer
January 24, 2013, 01:11 PM
yo me he dado cuenta que todos o la gran mayaria de los latinos que estan en contra de las armas son inmigrantes hijos de aquellos que huyeron a este pais por causa de la violencia de sus gobienos al menos ese es el sentido que encuentro en las redes a diario

dedico muchas horas del dia en las redes latinas tratando de hacerles ver que en esos paises estaba prohibido tener armas y que por eso el gobierno podia pisotear los derechos del pueblo a su antojo

muchos de ellos no saben lo que es tener un orgullo de patria porque siempre pensaron que el gobierno era malo y no tienen los valores patrios de este pais

ellos deben de entender que gran parte de ser cuidadano de este pais y lo que hace que este pais sea mejor son los valores y derechos de la constitucion de este pais y que esos valores y derechos deben ser protegidos por cada cuidadano o aquel que desee serlo
si esos valores y derechos no se protegen terminaran viviendo en un pais iwal del que huyeron ellos o sus padres con malos gobiernos

la mayoria de los que discuten en favor de que no haya armas no saben siquiera que es un derecho de cada hombre libre en este pais otorgado por la constitucion
creen que se debe a la nra y otras tantas mentiras de los medios y solo repiten lo mismo que oyen en los medios

Artigas
January 24, 2013, 03:03 PM
Gracias por sus esfuerzos, j.kramer! Me parece muy bien lo que dice usted. ¿Cuáles argumentos han sido más eficaces, en su experiencia?

Thanks for your efforts, j.kramer! I think what you're saying is great. What arguments have been most effective, in your experience?

If you enjoyed reading about "Outreach to the Spanish-speaking community" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!