Assuming you can't get to your gun, home defense alternative?

PDA

Yelovitz_503
January 21, 2013, 06:32 PM
I know, I know we all keep our HD pistol in arms reach but let's just play with the idea that for some reason you cannot access your home defense weapon in time. What other weapons, tools, objects, or skills would you use to protect yourself.

I know for my part I would go for my SOG Seal Pup, I know a bit about knife fighting and probably wouldn't have any choice but to adapt and improvise based on the situation I found myself in. I don't know any martial arts so that's out the window, but other than the knife I guess I'd just try to bash the intruders face in with my MagLite! And I suppose the worst case scenario I'd have to use my pen as a stabber.

So there's mine, what about you? How would you adapt to that situation, and what would you bring to the fight assuming that the best option isn't an option?

If you enjoyed reading about "Assuming you can't get to your gun, home defense alternative?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCK0704
January 21, 2013, 06:53 PM
I'd say run away or hide, but if you have to fight, there are a few options.

If you had a crossbow and there was only one attacker, that could be an option.

Maybe a Louisville Slugger, golf club, hammer (my family has a big mallet for driving tent stakes) or hatchet if you didn't have a bow. Most people probably have at least one of these items around.

Chevelle SS
January 21, 2013, 07:02 PM
I have a Slugger in my room. Knives I guess, maybe I could throw some VCR tapes!! :D

MCK0704
January 21, 2013, 07:11 PM
Yeah, if you played pitcher in Little League and have some baseballs around, those could be used as weapons. :D

hso
January 21, 2013, 07:14 PM
This is nonfirearms after all so you'll find plenty of threads on this very question.

It depends upon whether you think about weapons or you're just limited to thinking of a firearm as the defensive tool. You're not going to do very well in real defensive situation if you're mindset is that the gun is your only option. So, the first thing to do is to alter your mindset and not cripple yourself making a gun a crutch.

Next is to start looking around the room for what would serve as a good defensive tool. Is that a large enough flashlight for an impact tool?
Is that lamp going to come apart in my hands or can I use it more than once to strike my attacker?
Am I carrying a knife? Do I know what to do with it to be able to be effective with it?
Is the stapler a flimsy plastic piece of junk or did I keep a full sized heavy steel Swingline from dad's desk?
Is there a baseball bat in the corner or have I stored it neatly away in the garage where it won't do you much good? Pool cue? Ax?
Heavy crystal ashtray holding spare change and keys?
Halberd?
Spear?
Magic Helmet?

joeschmoe
January 21, 2013, 07:17 PM
First you must learn to use your "tools"; Hands, feet, elbows, knees, headbutt, grapling, wrestling, locks, throws and how to hold and use basic weapons; sticks, knives, rocks.

Everything else is just an extension of these basic principles.

Kali/JKD

ObsceneJesster
January 21, 2013, 07:27 PM
If I could make it to my office across the hall, I would grab one of my many Samurai Swords.

Double_J
January 21, 2013, 07:41 PM
Spear and Magic Helmet!!!! No, I would use whatever I can grab, or use my fist/foot/elbow/knee. I have a large butcher block of knives in the kitchen, and usually have a few odds/ends laying on the coffee table. My bathroom has a can of shaving cream (think spaceballs for the use), a towel, and the top to the toilet tank.

My bedroom has a few options, such as the souvenir rock from when I went to Canada years ago, or the lamp, or the clothes iron. I can use those to get to the 12 ga. or one of the pistols in the bedroom. I used to keep a small wood bat by the bed when I was in high school, but I broke it playing ball and never replaced it.

The garage has PLENTY of choices. I almost always have a rake/shovel/mop/broom within reach. I also have a full set of golf clubs, and several hammers/large ratchets. Those are in addition to the wd-40, wasp spray, carb. cleaner type fluids that abound in my garage area.

I have put thought into what to do if I need to improvise, and I have no problem doing whatever it takes to win. I heard from an old marine Gunnery Sergeant "always improvise, cheat, adapt, and WIN AT ALL COSTS." I take those words to heart.

Sleasys14
January 21, 2013, 07:45 PM
Big screen thrown down the stairs after I blind them with my surefire.

Sent from my MiPhone !

jon86
January 21, 2013, 07:45 PM
Right now, I'm sitting in a kitchen chair at a small kitchen table. There is a glass bowl next to me with a fork in it. There is a pen on the table. There is a lamp within arms reach.

Make my day. :neener:

wep45
January 21, 2013, 07:48 PM
Louisville slugger and a bayonet:cool:

TimboKhan
January 21, 2013, 07:56 PM
I guess it depends on where I am in my house, but anything from knives to a bat to fists.

Jaymo
January 21, 2013, 08:18 PM
Saber, cutlass, Bowies, Khukuris, tomahawk, wrist rockets, 4 pound straight peen hammer.

beatledog7
January 21, 2013, 08:52 PM
In my house I could pick up a number of things: baseball bat, cane, solid cherry whomping club, various hammers, a slingshot, knives of various descriptions. Add to those anything I can pick up and throw, break to create a sharp edge, or use as a shield....

But the primary goal of self defense is to stop the attack; a firearm is probably the most reliable means of doing that against all comers.

Jaymo
January 21, 2013, 08:59 PM
Forgot to mention the telescoping baton. That sumbeach hurts.

Browning
January 21, 2013, 09:02 PM
I always have a pocket knife on me, even when I'm sleeping. Only time it's not on me is when I'm in the shower. I guess if I couldn't walk over 10 feet and grab a gun for whatever reason I'd go to that and try to fight my way to my gun.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Browning35/Knives/09757E40-32CE-44C5-993D-10B95FBE0591-5755-000001B3447AB5C3.jpg

CWL
January 21, 2013, 09:03 PM
I suppose I could throw cases of ammunition at the BG, that ought to hurt.

ZeSpectre
January 21, 2013, 09:12 PM
The truth is that EVERYTHING can be a weapon if you take a few minutes to think about it.

Triggering a Fire extinguisher is a great distraction and you can hit someone really hard with them as well.

chipcom
January 21, 2013, 09:26 PM
People who know better don't depend on their firearm always being within reach.(that's not living free, that's a prison, IMO). Almost any situation presents potential weapons of opportunity that can be used to effectively defend yourself. While having your trusty firearm at hand is optimal, your brains and mindset are the best weapons you have because they not only can prevent trouble in the first place...they also aide you in creating weapons out of just about anything.

GP100Wii
January 21, 2013, 10:00 PM
Baseball bat, KA-Bar, and Crowbar all all within reach for me.

Jaymo
January 21, 2013, 10:26 PM
USMC Ka-Bar, here too. Also have a cypress knee lamp. A face full of ABC dry chemical powder would temporarily blind someone.

Dave Markowitz
January 21, 2013, 10:34 PM
I'm currently downstairs in my office. There is a CAS Hanwei Tactical Wakizashi that I can reach without getting out of my chair. There's a four foot long octagonal cross section hiking staff made from some nice, hard curly maple a few feet away.

Up in my bedroom there's a 14th Century style longsword in my closet from Museum Replicas, and an aluminum bat on my wife's side of the bed. Of course, there's also a Mossberg 500 in my closet and a SIG P225 in a Mini-Vault on the wife's side of the bed, too. :)

rcmodel
January 21, 2013, 10:41 PM
You think I'm going to tell the whole Internet world what I have withing easy reach??

Heck no I'm not!!

Thats for me to know and them to find out the hard way!

rc

Jaymo
January 21, 2013, 10:50 PM
But, rcmodel, you're assuming I'm telling the truth and not full of BS.
This is the internet. Nobody tells the truth online. I'm a Navy SEAL, Ranger, Recondo,CIA, MIB, Green Beret.
I don't even own a gun. I use my MIB standard issue neuralizer.
Or, maybe it's an Albuterol nebulizer. I forget. Too much recreational use of the neuralizer.

USAF_Vet
January 21, 2013, 11:17 PM
In my bed room closet I have my Cold Steel Grosse Messer
http://www.coldsteel.com/images/products/88GMS_m.jpg

I have a light machete in my living room by the fire place.

If in my garage, I've got a full length machete, my wood chopping axe, a hatchet and a SOG tomahawk, also various baseball/ softball bats.

I've got my Benchmade AO folder on me as well.

Not to mention non weapons that would be used as weapons, like the mag light, candle sticks, kitchen knives and all the fire place tools that would hurt wicked bad if hit in the face.

guyfromohio
January 21, 2013, 11:26 PM
70 lb. Lab at my feet.

Clean97GTI
January 21, 2013, 11:48 PM
If I'm in the kitchen, I have a magnetic knife block full of interesting choices. The one I'd go for would be either an 8" chefs knife, 10" slicer or 12" straight carver. The carving knife is the most dangerous of the three although if my hand slips, I could lose a finger. The chefs knife has a sizable heel which would prevent this. It is shorter though and not as thick at the spine.

I also have a rope bone with three big knots that our pit bull loves to swing. I know from experience that if it catches you in the knee, it will drop you.
The pit bull is worthless though. I think the cats are more fierce than he is. :rolleyes:

Jaymo
January 21, 2013, 11:54 PM
USAF_vet, I've been eyeing that Grosse Messer for a while now.
My cutlass is a Cold Steel 1917 US Naval cutlass. I friggin love it.
My saber is a Windlass Steelcrafts Revolutionary War cavalry saber.
My Bowies have 8-1/2", 13-1/2", and 18" blades and would cut ye from yer neck to yer nertz.

Unless I'm full of BS, that is. Only one way to find out.

Deltaboy
January 22, 2013, 12:04 AM
I got tons of stuff handy my cane is always near.

rcmodel
January 22, 2013, 12:11 AM
Cavalry saber & Naval cutlass?

You must live in a really big house to have room to use them effectively!!

I'd get hung up in a ceiling fan and gutted by a BG with a .99 cent box cutter in my house.

rc

Jaymo
January 22, 2013, 12:14 AM
I have a 50 pound basset hound that is a good watchdog, a terrible guard dog, and a great obstacle to anyone trying to get to me in the night.
Trouble is she's also a great obstacle to me, when trying to get to the bathroom when I need to spew, dud to a stomach virus. Learned that the hard way.
I tripped over her, did a faceplant, and barfed out my ears. Not fun.

Anyhoo, I'm thinking about replacing my wood bat with aluminum, or a Cold Steel plastic one.

blkbrd666
January 22, 2013, 12:14 AM
100lbs of Chow/Lab mix with 1.25" teeth.

ApacheCoTodd
January 22, 2013, 12:18 AM
Chopper - sic balls!

Jaymo
January 22, 2013, 12:32 AM
Saber is for the big rooms. The cutlass and the 18.5" D guard Bowie are for the halls.
Naval cutlasses are designed for boarding, and repelling boarders on a crowded ship's deck.

Overhand swings leave you open to attack.

Sam Cade
January 22, 2013, 12:44 AM
Overhand swings leave you open to attack.

You ain't Sword and Buckler Man?

Jaymo
January 22, 2013, 12:46 AM
I ain't William Wallace, I'll tell ya that.

In the words of Bruce Dickinson

"You'll take my life, but I'll take yours, too."
"You'll fire your musket, but I'll run you through."

blindhari
January 22, 2013, 12:47 AM
My wife does Tole painting. I have more than one Cold Steel shovel with her painting and my carving on the handles. These are here and there in the house as "craft" decorations. They can be used for bashing, chopping or thrusting. Nobody has tweaked to what they really are yet.

blindhari

Texan Scott
January 22, 2013, 12:57 AM
I carry a 3" knife; I sleep with a 6" fixed wedged between mattress and box spring by my pillow. I have golf clubs and field hockey sticks, a baseball bat.... I have walking sticks by the door. I have large knives and cast iron in the kitchen, bookends in the living room.. basically every object in my house is either sharp or blunt ... unless it's rope. And I will choke someone if I have to. ETA: anything light enough to lift but not solid enough to do damage is a distraction item- something to toss while I find something to swing.

Jaymo
January 22, 2013, 01:02 AM
17" cast iron skillet will lay you out, with a quickness.
I'm thinking a riot shield may not be such a bad idea.

OptimusPrime
January 22, 2013, 01:27 AM
My first defense is the high-pitched woman-like scream that will come out of my throat. That should trigger activation of defense number 2 which is the 150 pound English Mastiff. She's dumb but quite effective (like all my bitchez are).
I don't think I'd bother throwing anything, that takes precious seconds and has small odds of working. My plan is to sprint like a scared squirrel back to where the boomstick is, knocking over chairs behind me to prevent a pursuit. Between the linebacker of a dog and the broken path to come get me, I've got the 10 seconds I need to win.

GP100Wii
January 22, 2013, 01:49 AM
For home defense (small size for indoors but still deadly), I've been trying to find the right time to buy this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21leSnWFl8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-1280-Combat-Kukri-Knife/dp/B007U5ZNOG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358833703&sr=8-2&keywords=kabar+kukri

rcmodel
January 22, 2013, 01:58 AM
You probably already have a 8" Chefs knife or 6" Boner in the butcher block knife set on the counter that would work as well, if not better then a heavy thick Kukri.

People fought wars with less blade for most of the history of mankind.

Remember, it's not the Arrow you have to worry about, it's the Indian!

rc

purebred
January 22, 2013, 02:09 AM
Did I read right VCR tapes? :confused:

guess I could throw ninja DVD's

shappa
January 22, 2013, 03:15 AM
O.k....
next to the Front door is a fokos.
2 steps back is a cane with a steel rod center.
on the wall is six tomahawks, a waki, a 22" sirupate
Down the hall is a calvary saber and a cheap viking sword.
In the bedroom is a cold steel assegi with the short handle...and I don't know how many knives...a couple of dozen at least.
The hard part would be decideing which one I was gonna use on your dumb ass.

Mp7
January 22, 2013, 04:54 AM
this.

i guess anything that qualifies as a mace or club would do.
But having something with a pointy end gives u more range.

which is desireable.

gazpacho
January 22, 2013, 05:08 AM
There is an App for this!

There is a flashlight App for the iPhone that can strobe the LED flash, kind of like the strobe function on a tactical flashlight.

If its use can give you an advantage, why leave it in your pocket when you need it?

WoodchuckAssassin
January 22, 2013, 07:52 AM
Unless you've been trained, I can't imagine using a knife if ANY fight. No reason to get fancey - everything from a baseball bat to a table leg would do just fine.

That being said, you'd be hard pressed to find a room in my house where there ISN'T a gun :D

Stainz
January 22, 2013, 12:39 PM
If nothing else, there is always my rapier wit. Failing that, there is always...

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/P8278777.jpg

Elmer, the attack kitty! Fourteen pounds of purrrrfectly irritating cat dander on the hoof.

Seriously. Use what you can/have to get to a firearm!!

Stainz

thepumpfaction
January 22, 2013, 01:08 PM
http://www.jamesmcadam.co.uk/portfolio_html/sb_table.html
I think it's mostly a joke, but it's pretty neat. I might build one when I have some spare time.

JShirley
January 22, 2013, 01:16 PM
Little bit of "riot nerd" going on in this thread...:scrutiny:

I have lots of stuff I can use in various places. Besides a firearm, I have a Swamp Rat Waki next to the bed. Just because.

ScottieG59
January 22, 2013, 02:20 PM
I would hold one of my snarling and snapping purse dogs in each hand and throw them at the intruder's jugular and groin regions. :eek:

Fiv3r
January 22, 2013, 02:51 PM
I have a lot of khukuris. I've used them for pretty much every outdoor activity over the last decade+. They outnumber my guns 5:1, and I feel very confident using one if I have my back to the wall.

Of course I would much, much, much rather hole up with my .45. However, a home invader expecting a Louisville Slugger might applebutter his britches when a guy clad in nothing but boxer shorts rushes him with 2 pounds of flashing Nepali Steel wailing "Ayo Gorkhali!!" as he thunders down the hall:evil:

Arkansas Paul
January 22, 2013, 02:52 PM
I have a Slugger in my room. Knives I guess, maybe I could throw some VCR tapes!!

What the hell is a "VCR tape"? :)

joeschmoe
January 22, 2013, 04:19 PM
Usually stored with those large black CD's'.

bubba in ca
January 22, 2013, 09:29 PM
a sharp stick, preferably one made of metal. think of all the money you will save!

readyeddy
January 22, 2013, 09:41 PM
half empty bottle of Dewar's

crazyjennyblack
January 23, 2013, 04:13 AM
It's almost inconceivable that I wouldn't be able to get to a gun of some sort. Yet, it happened to me once when I was faced in my front yard by a large snarling dog. A crowbar made a very handy doggie-deterrent!

In the house, I would probably have access to a kitchen knife, or maybe I could use a towel and a large marshmallow fork like an ancient retiarius gladiator!

JShirley
January 23, 2013, 09:59 AM
Software, not hardware. Each of us should think about making ourselves as capable as possible. It's the Indian, not the arrow.

While I was stationed at Fort Lewis some years ago, there was a serial rapist hitting the Tacoma area. He was driven off by a 13 year old girl he assaulted as she walked home from school...with her violin case! It was the determination in that girl's heart to defend herself that won the day.

Be determined.

PRM
January 23, 2013, 11:22 AM
if I'm without a gun - I must not have my pants on - so I'd look for them, to retrieve my knife...LOL

Got plenty of knives, tomahawks, machetes, bow and arrows, and club like devices. Defensive tools are not an issue.

Creature
January 23, 2013, 11:27 AM
I will beat them with my wife.

kayak-man
January 23, 2013, 01:28 PM
Really, the only time I'm not physically carrying a gun is when I'm working out or asleep.

If I'm asleep, my gun is by my bed, so if I can't get to it, the BG must have come into my bedroom, and is trying to pass my guard for the good ol "ground and pound." In that case, I've got a few sharp and pointy things and a screw driver laying around that could work nicely. There's a lamp that would make a decent club for one, maybe two strikes, but then it would most likely break...

If I'm working out, then dumb-bells, billiard balls, and pool cues are within grabbing distance.

hso
January 23, 2013, 06:47 PM
Odds are that even the wits here could put a little effort into looking around with the right mindset and see expedient weapons that would be most effective and think about what might be added that would appear just to be decorative, but serve better than some other dust catcher.

John and some others can tell you that there is probably something deadly within 3 paces of wherever you are in my house (including my daughter's room) because all 3 of us collect knives/swords/impact weapons. That wouldn't matter though because we all 3 have the mindset to consider what is at hand as a weapon and look for what best at hand makes the best defensive tool if we need it.

readyeddy
January 23, 2013, 07:02 PM
Sitting on my desk I got scissors, a letter opener, heavy coffee mug and a USB cable.

Sam Cade
January 23, 2013, 07:10 PM
However, a home invader expecting a Louisville Slugger might applebutter his britches when a guy clad in nothing but boxer shorts rushes him with 2 pounds of flashing Nepali Steel wailing "Ayo Gorkhali!!" as he thunders down the hall:evil:

'twould be more effective without the boxer shorts methinks.

..and maybe a proper southern caterwaul.

JShirley
January 23, 2013, 08:27 PM
Blood for ****, we're here has seemed to work pretty well for the Gurkhas. Their weapons routine is simple, and uses a heavy chopping blade.

Huh. That's K-A-L-I

Gordon
January 23, 2013, 08:55 PM
Let's pray it NEVER gets down to this because I am getting too old for this ....
The ultimate fighting blade for me is , ta ta
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/gordonhulme/007-7.jpg

the original Proto type Mad Dog Saxon short sword. 19" 1/4" stock 1.75" wide stock. This kife has the "combat " finish unlike all other Saxons. The sword has been proven in dreadful testing, clowning getting crazy where I don't think it's re razored by the maker blade will fail me on anything but stone !:neener: I swung it around in excercise for a couple years but hells bells getting too old for sword fighting! It would be doing my best to defend my self fo sho :D

Deltaboy
January 23, 2013, 10:30 PM
Don' t assume just buy more guns and store them with in arms reach around the house. Shoot I got one even the John.

Buckeye
January 23, 2013, 10:45 PM
Can of Wasp and Hornet spray in the LR

Onward Allusion
January 23, 2013, 10:55 PM
Yelovitz_503
Assuming you can't get to your gun, home defense alternative?
I know, I know we all keep our HD pistol in arms reach but let's just play with the idea that for some reason you cannot access your home defense weapon in time. What other weapons, tools, objects, or skills would you use to protect yourself.<SNIP>

Considering I wear one at home, it would be an odd situation for me not to be able to get to a gun. My next choice would be a Wakizashi. A short Gladiator sword would be a second choice.

hovercat
January 23, 2013, 11:56 PM
Throw the cat. Lazy thing is always nearby. 4 sets of furiously raking claws and teeth.

zorro45
January 24, 2013, 12:32 AM
Many cans of wasp spray for access by children under age 18,
Also red "practice bat" which is just an Aluminium baton about 30" long sold with a couple of whiffle balls, inside front closet. It can get going extremely fast at the tip. Courtesy of Walmart, first learned of it on this forum.

Stainz
January 24, 2013, 10:23 AM
Hmmm, since I never could find a a neck sheath for it anyway, perhaps I should keep the Benchmade 171 'BladeSport' Chopper at bedside. Hmmm, there is an image.... a fat grey-haired guy in his drawers chasing a bg around the house with that knife screaming, 'Hai Karate', 'AquaVelva', 'Old Spice'... perchance 'Brut!'. A wayward slash and I'd become my own half brother...

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_4566_edited.jpg

Seriously, 'situational awareness' is the key. The proper mindset is paramount. Use your surroundings as efficiently as you can. If our bed is suddenly devoid of cats at night - and hissing is heard from under the bed or in the closet - someone is coming up the front steps. Keep a flashlight, cellphone, and car keys by you - watching TV, sleeping, or anywhere in the house - or doing yard work. The 'Panic' button most modern car keys have can be a life saver - gripped between the fingers, any key becomes a weapon. It's all in the mindset. 'Think' you are a survivor and you'll likely be one. Of course, a nearby handgun helps.

Stainz

rodinal220
January 25, 2013, 06:58 PM
Extruded aircraft aluminum in the form of a 3-5 cell kel-lite still works.Various Estwing framing hammers,nice old carbon steel meat cleaver stashed in the cooking area.

Certaindeaf
January 26, 2013, 04:39 PM
I just reach over and pull the electrical wiring out of the wall. That'll instantly cut anybody in two that's inside of the building. If I'm just feeling mean I'll flail Bob with my newly gotten electric bolas. true story

Baba Louie
January 26, 2013, 06:01 PM
Look around, can you form some sort of rudimentary lathe?
As John pointed out, its the software and determination more than the hardware.

Having said that, I see:
Wasp Spray (check) wait a minute. Isn't this stuff a neurotoxin?
Sports Implements (check)
Fire Extinguisher (check)
Cowboy Buckled belt (I didn't see that but they can come in handy if buckle is firmly anchored)
Cane or stick (check)
Shreiking Cockatiels in cage (didn't see that one listed but other pets apply so.... check)
Martin Guitar... wait a minute, maybe the Taylor? :(
Rolled up magazine
Laptop computer
... and on and on...

Gawd, the entire house, auto and office are full of implements of death and destructon as long as I don't freeze up.

Tools are gadgets, the mind is the weapon.

HighExpert
January 27, 2013, 02:39 AM
I have a couple of authentic Masai lion spears that would spoil you day. Also a quiver full of curare poisoned blowgun darts from the Amazon. Push comes to shove, a spray can of just about anything and a lighter makes a really good close range blowtorch.

hso
January 27, 2013, 08:07 PM
a spray can of just about anything and a lighter

BAAAAAAAD idea.
These days not everything out of a spray can is flammable.
Trying to get one lit is unreliable.
Aiming and then tracking a target is challenging.
It is one of the defenses that lends itself to real failure and is far to dependent upon luck.

Zeke/PA
January 28, 2013, 04:54 PM
I have spray cans of stuff in an adjoining room to where me and mommy spend most of our time.
BUT: The kids are long gone, no "little grandkids" so I'm at an advantage.
Most of my guns are in a safe but I have a 9mm near my computer,and an AK loaded with 20 rounds of Remington Core- Lokts near my easy chair.
The Wasp spray seems to be the stuff these days however.

If you enjoyed reading about "Assuming you can't get to your gun, home defense alternative?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!