Wow, Virginia Military Institute in mass

PDA

nathan
January 21, 2013, 07:40 PM
formation with M 14s. What a sight to behold !! They were the last formation in the presidential parade. I didnt see West Point though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wow, Virginia Military Institute in mass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnBT
January 21, 2013, 08:14 PM
www.vmi.edu/Content.aspx?id=10737423536&libID=10737423532

It was their 14th time, beginning with Taft in 1909. Nearly 3000 groups applied this year; 41 were invited.

“We had to go through security, which was probably the longest part of the day because all of our rifles had to be checked,” he said. “Every rifle had to go through … to make sure there weren’t any firing pins.”

Jolly Rogers
January 21, 2013, 08:26 PM
And as VMI had cadets fight in the Civil War, they march and drill with fixed Bayonets at the Institute.
Their drill execution is exemplary also. My oldest son was a Cadet so I was attending parents weekend and I watched as a rat fell out at attention. Luckily when he passed out the bayonet didn't hit the Cadet in the front. A corpsman attended to him and pulled him from rank and the next Cadet filled his spot automatically. This action followed rank by rank until the last . Not a word was said.
Joe

nathan
January 22, 2013, 02:16 AM
Im so proud of VMI . They produce the best military commanders in our military. Patton was one that i can think of.

BHP FAN
January 22, 2013, 02:19 AM
My Uncle ''Hut'' was VMI, then WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Grandpa was Annapolis, a China Gunboat sailor, and captain of an ammunition ship in most of the major battles of the Pacific, in WWII. I was an enlisted ''tin can'' sailor. go figure...

rcmodel
January 22, 2013, 02:19 AM
What?
High-capacity assault rifles at the Inauguration parade.

Shirley, you jest!

rc

BHP FAN
January 22, 2013, 02:24 AM
Well yeah, but no firing pins.

rcmodel
January 22, 2013, 02:30 AM
Yes, but they had those Shoulder Things that Flip up.
All M-14's have them!

And they had those Pointy Things that Clip On too!!!

Oh the Humanity!
The Horror! The Horror!!

rc

pikid89
January 22, 2013, 02:33 AM
its amazing that those bayonet lugs didn't go out of control and start causing all sorts of problems lol

Ehtereon11B
January 22, 2013, 05:06 AM
I don't even think their drill team is Div I.

Like most ceremonial rifles at the academies and SMA, the firing pin may or may not be removed depending on the the rifle. The bolts are often filled with solder and sometimes down the barrel for good measure.

Trent
January 22, 2013, 10:10 AM
Well done.

Odd, how they don't even trust our own, though.

No firing pins in parades, no live ammo at Benghazi...

Robert
January 22, 2013, 10:13 AM
Neat, but off topic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wow, Virginia Military Institute in mass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!