POLL: Were You Ready?

PDA

SharpsDressedMan
January 21, 2013, 08:45 PM
Were you ready for this latest panic? After surviving the Clinton era, and the first Obama election panic spree, I made it a point to get my ducks in a row. I handload extensively, and gathered up components so that I can make myself busy in the winter, as I normally do, so that my ammo is on hand for the better months. I have the weapons, ammo, and components I want and need, and related magazines and accessories. I'm figuring a lot of you were equally prepared. Were you ready, or not?,

If you enjoyed reading about "POLL: Were You Ready?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browningguy
January 21, 2013, 08:52 PM
At my wifes suggestion, beggining in the summer of 2008 I have kept several thousand rounds each of 9mm, .40 S&W and .223. Naturally I also have hunting ammo in sufficient supply as well as reloading components for those I reload for.

I did find myself overstocked with EBR's when the craze first found it's legs. So I traded a couple for a new shotgun and 1911. Luckily .45 ACP ammo had not been hit that hard, and I had a few hundred rounds to feed my H&K USC, so now I am up to speed on .45 also.

sidheshooter
January 21, 2013, 08:52 PM
I put "still shopping", but only because I am a "buy as you need it" plinker. I don't like dipping into my substantial reserves of good (expensive) stuff just for an hour at the range.

I'm covered for anything important, though, no need to panic buy.

JohnBT
January 21, 2013, 08:53 PM
I began preparing before the passage of the GCA of '68.

What's that old saying, you can't be too tall, too rich or have too much ammo? Something like that. I have ammo...

TIMC
January 21, 2013, 08:53 PM
I was ready on the last one and ready on this one. I always keep well stocked up; guest that boyscout stuff paid off! :D

dark.zero.x
January 21, 2013, 08:54 PM
I have a good stash, but its never enough. I did get caught with very little 5.56 and that has had an effect on what I shoot.

Justin
January 21, 2013, 08:54 PM
I suppose that I wasn't ready.

I haven't been supporting the NRA-ILA, Second Amendment Foundation, or my state-level RKBA groups as much as I should have been.

I'm not as well-connected in gun-rights circles outside of the internet as I would like to be, and I suck at meatspace grass-roots activism.

So, it would seem, I was caught unprepared.

Sauer Grapes
January 21, 2013, 08:56 PM
I was caught ''flat footed" only in reguards to .22 cal ammo. {go figure} I handload everything else and have an ample stock of components to last a year.

rcmodel
January 21, 2013, 08:58 PM
I began preparing before the passage of the GCA of '68.What he said.

rc

Inebriated
I have what I need as far as guns, ammo, mags, etc., but I did just jump into reloading, so I voted that I'm still shopping. I do wish I'd gotten into it long ago, and stocked up along with my other stuff...

joeschmoe
I know my rights.

I didn't panic then or now.

gp911
January 21, 2013, 09:00 PM
I have what I need, but I would like to have had more before the supply dried up, mostly more ammo and magazines.

Centurian22
I only got into reloading at Christmas so didn't have time to get 'on top of' components in time. Also my wife is against having 'stockpiles' because they take up too much room so I have some but not as much as I'd like to. This should get better when we get a bigger house.

padd54
I have what I need, but still want much more and will be adding to my stock once things settle down.

slamfirev10
January 21, 2013, 09:03 PM
i was just starting to stock up and then this latest attack, not a happy camper

padd54
January 21, 2013, 09:04 PM
I only got into reloading at Christmas so didn't have time to get 'on top of' components in time. Also my wife is against having 'stockpiles' because they take up too much room so I have some but not as much as I'd like to. This should get better when we get a bigger house.

Do you have anything stored under your bed?

NHCraigT
January 21, 2013, 09:07 PM
Overstocked on everything, including spare gun parts, bullet molds and reloading supplies.

....just sitting back and watching the show.....

bikerdoc
Been ready since 1988.

MErl
I placed 2 orders the they day of the shooting for items I had been on the fence about getting. If I had not gotten in before prices went crazy waiting or doing without would have been acceptable.

Otherwise, well stocked

joeschmoe
January 21, 2013, 09:12 PM
This is all I need:

https://www.canoeonline.net/img/products/full_size/2005.jpg

SharpsDressedMan
January 21, 2013, 09:16 PM
History will tell whether that is a work of fact, or fiction. There are people out there that want to re-write it.

Ignition Override
January 21, 2013, 09:20 PM
Were you prepared before the presidential election in November? There were plenty of clues about the potential.
If people had the cash beforehand and bought nothing that they really wanted/needed, they made the personal decision to take a chance.

Everybody (who watches the news/reads newspapers etc) knew that the White House and some state governments were waiting for a disaster/mass murder in order to exploit it for an increase in govt. control.
They don't "allow any disaster to go to waste". It is All about control.

Carter
January 21, 2013, 09:22 PM
I was not ready ammo wise. Good on mags. Have an ar, 17 round 9mm, 7 round shotgun, but low on ammo.

montanaoffroader
50/50 here. Ok on some stuff, a little light on some. I have plenty of ammo/components for my hunting rifles and magnum pistols, not as much for my 9mm's. Also a little light on .22, but I do have some.

I was planning to pick up an AR receiver and parts with my Xmas bonus, but that didn't happen. I'll wait until things settle down a bit, and if prices stay up I might just pass altogether as I have plenty of long guns already.

MErl
I suppose that I wasn't ready.

I haven't been supporting the NRA-ILA, Second Amendment Foundation, or my state-level RKBA groups as much as I should have been.

I'm not as well-connected in gun-rights circles outside of the internet as I would like to be, and I suck at meatspace grass-roots activism.

So, it would seem, I was caught unprepared.

As far as this type of preparation, not prepared. much the same boat.
I've not supported the NRA for a long time, mainly because the people they support often do not match my views outside firearms. It had appeared to me that the issue of gun control was essentially dead. How wrong I was.
For at least the next election I'll be a single issue voter. Beyond that we'll see if the point is made. For the first time in my life I've joined the NRA. I've registered (D) so I have a voice in the primaries that matter here.

moto_stevo
I'm not panicking... But I would sure feel better with about 3000 more 9mm projectiles.
Ive been stocking up on everything else since September.

Now I've decided to learn long range rifle too. Anyone have any spare 260rem does lying around?

buckeye8
January 21, 2013, 09:53 PM
I bought a house this past year, so my money has been diverted to more important things.

My ammo stash is weak by my standards, and I had planned to get another AR-15 for Christmas.

The AR will just have to wait, because I certainly won't be settling for these prices!

RFMan
January 21, 2013, 10:01 PM
As far as the durable goods...in pretty good shape.

As far as mags/ammo...they are consumable. They run out. One can be prepared to weather a siege, but for how long? That makes it tough to decide which side of the prepared/still shopping line to pick. I'll never stop shopping...but I'm taking less to the cash register due to finding less of it...

btaylor73
January 21, 2013, 10:15 PM
I was prepared, but like most, always want more. I do have to say that when my wife, sister and mom head out on the day after thanksgiving sales I just roll my eyes then go back to sleep. They like to get into the thick of it just for the show.
I have to admit that I actually like to stop into the gun shops and enjoy the show, and panic being displayed. For some reason it makes me feel good about being prepared for it. I will usually walk around and see if there is something that I can add as long as it is not out of this world pricing.
This way, if I get something great, and if I don't, no stress!

FROGO207
January 21, 2013, 10:32 PM
I planned to keep at least 2 years use ammo ahead at minimum. I far exceeded that goal. Mostly .22 and reloading supplies. I have all the "stuff" I need for all my firearms already also. Ya know history is a great teacher if you are willing to pay attention.:D

Magichelmt
January 21, 2013, 10:33 PM
I have had a policy of 1000 rounds of factory ammo for every caliber I shoot except .22cal. I also have components for everything I reload to triple that. I keep at least 3 thousand of .22 rim-fire on hand. I have recently started shooting .308 so I only have 200 factory rounds, 1000 match primers, and a total of 750 projectiles of various sizes. I am pretty comfortable, but could use a few things I guess. The places that have primers locally are getting $50/1000. I am good on primers for a while at least.

MedWheeler
January 21, 2013, 10:35 PM
I have more than I need, but not as much as I'll likely want. There is no poll option for that.

USAF_Vet
January 21, 2013, 10:42 PM
I was 14 when the Clinton era AWB was enacted, and my folks weren't gun people. So it had no effect one me at all.

I saw the run on guns, somewhat, when 0 was elected the first time. I had purchased my first gun early that year. But quite honestly, I saw guns and ammo on all the racks and shelves in virtually every gun related store I set foot in. I read about the 0 panic of '08, but I never saw it.

So not having been even aware of the '94 AWB, and was uneffected by the '08 0 election run, I guess I was caught unaware. I had purchased my AR in October last year, just before the Presidential debate where the dreaded AWB was mentioned, and figured I was set, just needed ammo. I bought some as I needed it, not thinking much about it. Then Sandy Hook happened, and I didn't have the cash flow to purchase massive amount of ammo. Now I can't because it's simply just unavailable.

So I buy here and there, when I can find it. At this point, I need just about every caliber I shoot, despite having curtailed much of my shooting.

I'll be making the investment once prices and availability regulate to something near normal. I don't want to ever go through this again.

OilyPablo
January 21, 2013, 10:50 PM
I have what I need AND I am still shopping

HOWARD J
January 21, 2013, 10:51 PM
Clinton got rid of that 8 cent 7.62 x 39 chinese---I still have about 1500 rds of it---corrosive so I only use when necessary.
I have an excellent stock of all the calibers that I shoot
In fact I have so much I have stopped reloading & am finally working on old guns I ment to repair years ago.
Join or send money to NRA---we have a serious enemy in DC--sending money to pro groups will aid us greatly.
Stay faithful to the cause.
Good shooting & good luck
HJ

gc70
January 21, 2013, 10:57 PM
The Christmas gun was greatly appreciated and very thoughtful of my wife; the lack of extra magazines is now awkward.

Lateck
January 21, 2013, 11:20 PM
I have what I need, but still want much more and will be adding to my stock once things settle down.
For me this:
Can always have more.

Lateck,

clocker
January 22, 2013, 03:01 AM
This is tough only because the questions overlap. Yeah, I have what I need, but I'm always shopping :) Last year and especially Thanksgiving was very good as I was able to get set in most of the aspects: reloading, casting, knocking some firearms off the wishlist and factory ammo... I still go out to the stores to watch the people and look for deals, but don't have a need or desire to buy anything overpriced.

BHP FAN
January 22, 2013, 03:54 AM
I mostly shoot black powder, and I have over a hundred pounds of lead. I'm good.

DeepSouth
January 22, 2013, 04:10 AM
More than I need
Less than I want

Story of my life.

mikeasb
January 22, 2013, 04:13 AM
What DS said!

bannockburn
January 22, 2013, 07:09 AM
I'm still in good shape and have been that way for quite some time now. I did pick up some .22LR last fall because it was on sale and the price was right.

NWCP
January 22, 2013, 07:21 AM
I own all the firearms I've needed for some years now. My last purchase was a year ago when I picked up a new HK45C for my carry piece. I sold the pistol it replaced. As for ammo I buy in bulk and replace what I use each month so I'm good to go there. I'm fishing for repair parts in the event I need them, but those are mostly springs and other small ticket items.

joeschmoe
January 22, 2013, 07:31 AM
History will tell whether that is a work of fact, or fiction. There are people out there that want to re-write it.
It been a fact for over 200 years, written in blood and wrought by fire. It's going to stay that way.

People are welcome to try to change it. There is a system written into it for that purpose. Until then, it's the law of the land.

cfullgraf
January 22, 2013, 08:34 AM
I am in pretty good shape for now.

I do not specifically remember shortages in the 90's during Clinton but I was shooting less then for some reason. I had what components i needed on hand for the most part and what little I needed, I had little trouble finding them.

In 2009, things were also fine but my shooting habits changed a little after the election and added a couple new cartridges. I had a difficult time keep up with components for the new ones, but my established cartridges were well suppled. A side benefit, I discovered a couple new powders that I continue to use.

For 2012, incumbents tend to get re-elected, so I started planning and stocking back in 2010. Bought a little here, a little there over the two years.

mcdonl
January 22, 2013, 08:38 AM
I use much of what I have on a regular basis. I shoot for a hobby, and for training/preperation so I always buy... every week for the most part.

Does being ready mean having a hoard?

I have supplies for a 1000 rounds of everything I shoot, but as soon as the weather breaks that is only about a two months supply so I *WILL* have to alter my shooting habits because of this.

foghornl
January 22, 2013, 08:56 AM
Only thing I'm light on is .30/30, only have 240 rounds.

On the other hand, I don't expect a Marlin Mdl 30A to be a "main battle rifle"

SpazC
January 22, 2013, 09:39 AM
You know, you think you have enough till something happens.

Pre Shortage I kept 1500 rounds of .22lr in stock. When I went to the range I would buy a new brick, put it on the shelf and bring the oldest brick with me.

I also had 1k small pistol primers handy, and kept a unopened pound of powder in reserve.

Also kept plenty of 00 12ga handy.

.... Now that feels like nothing.

Lesson Learned.

bikerdoc
January 22, 2013, 09:57 AM
Bought a little here, a little there over the two years.

For 45 years I have been following the same formula.
Buy two shoot one. in the beginning it was boxes, then as things got better I went to cases. About 10 years ago I got into reloading, I'm good!

LemmyCaution
January 22, 2013, 10:06 AM
By the time I'm finished reloading the backlog of components I have presently, I figure this panic will be over. Then I'll have a short window to buy more stuff before the next panic ensues, as the fear mongers and profiteers realize they can capitalize on the fact that democrats will be running in the next round of elections, as well.

But, sooner or later, just as new political campaigns seem to begin before the previous campaigns have ended, we'll have overlapping panics. And maybe at that point people will realize that they are panicking, and stop making fools of themselves.

But I'm probably asking too much.

freyasman
January 22, 2013, 10:12 AM
I'm a fan of Warren Zevon's music, specifically "Lawyers, Guns and Money"
You can never have enough of all three... :evil:

SharpsDressedMan
January 22, 2013, 05:45 PM
Isn't it funny? During a collapse, you could probably do o.k. without the lawyers.:D

esheato
January 22, 2013, 05:50 PM
I haven't been loading or shooting anywhere near what I used to, so my meager supplies are just fine for now.

I bought 4 lowers a few years ago, but only had one left when things went haywire. I picked up a couple more and paid only slightly more. I don't feel like I did bad.

Bought some magazines too, but again, prices were acceptable. I refuse to buy into the really crazy stuff.

I voted that I was prepared because even though I bought some stuff, I felt more prepared than unprepared.

ngaither
January 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
I have to say that I'm really glad to be almost fully stocked up on almost everything that I shoot. I did how ever get a new gun for X-mas that I didn't reload for and I'm going to have to wait a couple of weeks for my supply to come in. But you really don't plan for those scenarios.

Silent Bob
January 22, 2013, 06:08 PM
I had already started stockpiling ammo and Glock 19 standard-cap mags before the election as I had anticipated that Barry would win re-election. At the time, I was more concerned with a Re-Election Panic, but that never really emerged in my area. I fully expected there to a push for gun control in his second term, but I did not anticipate Sandy Hook happening so soon after the Anointed One's re-election and the all-out assault on the 2nd Amendment that followed.

Ky Larry
January 22, 2013, 07:48 PM
I had a toe removed right after Xmas so I've been off work. I've been sitting at the reloading bench with my foot propped up pulling the lever on my old Rockchucker. So far, I've reloaded 1,000 38spls, 1,000 .40 S&Ws, 250 .308s, and a few .243s. This is all components I had on hand without getting into my Obamanation stash. I have 13,000 .22lr rounds, several thousand .223 bullets, primers,and powder. I have a couple thousand .308 bullets, 3,000 .243 bullets, and 1,000 6.5 bullets. I got Obamanated once. He won't get me again. I remembered the primer shortage of 2009-09 and stashed plenty before the last election.

SharpsDressedMan
January 22, 2013, 08:07 PM
Well, we might not be the average lot, here on THR, but I am glad to see that it is about 5-1, those being prepared leading. I only wish it were so for everyone, but that isn't the way it is. After all, we here at THR are in the know, aren't we? :D

Old Dog
January 22, 2013, 08:49 PM
I actually got caught light on revolver ammo, of all things ... Who knew .38 and .357 supply was gonna dry up, too? But why is there .380 and .40 still on the shelves? Hmm...

On election day, as the grim returns poured in, I stopped off and picked up some more cases of stuff I didn't really need ... but it made me feel better.

HOOfan_1
January 22, 2013, 08:55 PM
Yes and no. I built an AR back in May, knowing Obama would likely win. Finding parts was a PITA back then. I bought a bunch of PMAGs and Glock mags in October...and a day after the Sandy Hook event, I tried to buy 8 lb of H335. No luck. I have 3.5 lb of that left. I have about 500 .224 bullets, 200 .223 brass, plenty of 9mm, .40 and .45 bullets and brass, about 2 lb of w231... But I am out of small pistol primers, almost out of small rifle primers. I have about 300 large pistol primers.

From now on, I will make sure I have a full year stock of reloading components.

wally
January 22, 2013, 09:24 PM
I have what I need but some new stuff I was looking forward to may never happen now :(

mljdeckard
January 22, 2013, 09:27 PM
Better than last time. I have a quantity of loaded ammo and reloading components. Last time I was completely dry. For MONTHS.

Ryanxia
January 22, 2013, 09:27 PM
I was pretty prepared but I voted 'still shopping' because until I can arm a large group of folks without putting a dent in my supplies I'll never have enough. :D

otrman
January 22, 2013, 09:34 PM
I was pretty well set then I lucked into two 55 gal. barrels of wheel weights and a 1600 pound lead keel weight out of a sailboat all within 2 weeks. Now I'm short on primers and powder.

M2 Carbine
January 22, 2013, 09:36 PM
POLL: Were You Ready?
I stay ready.
Look at the dates on some of this stuff and I usually shoot 4-6 times a week.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/9mmWWB.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Ammoin50calcans.jpg

tomrkba
January 22, 2013, 09:41 PM
I have what I need, but I am always shopping.

When in doubt, buy primers and 22 Long Rifle cartridges!

Dirtdgger
January 22, 2013, 09:43 PM
Loaded up on primers in October bought 80,000 at gun show. Same on bullet and brass bought when things were sane. Bought parts to build 7 Ars for me and my son got 5 done finish the other to when I get caught up. My problem is friends were not so lucky they waited to long now they think I should get them thru this Not happening. They went to same gun shows I did.

AWDMK4
January 22, 2013, 09:46 PM
I'm a late bloomer when it comes to firearms. Bought my first AR and pistol (G19) in late '04 after the AWB expired. Didn't fire them much for the first 6-7 years. :eek:

Got the bug last year when prices were decent and built 2 ARs, got my CCW, and joined the NRA. Watched sale ads and collected ammo in just about all my calibers up until the December tragedy. Since I don't shoot much, I have enough to last a while or at least until things settle down.

The only "panic" buying I did that I'll probably regret is hunting down 3 more G19 15-rd mags and paying more than I should've ($97 shipped). The best move I made was last week when I upped my NRA membership to life member and joined the VCDL. I figured they need all the help they can get.

I recently starting researching reloading and buying the tools I'll need. I'm going to ride out the panic season and hopefully this summer I'll be able to buy bullets, cases, primers and powder.

I love this hobby too much to give up now...

therainmaker
January 22, 2013, 09:48 PM
I made sure I had what I needed before the election and continued to add to it until everything disappeared in late December.

hogshead
January 22, 2013, 09:49 PM
Have what I need but slowed down on the shooting.

colorado_handgunner
January 22, 2013, 09:50 PM
10 mostly full 50 cal ammo cans, so I am doing pretty good. I saw a shortage coming with the possibility of Obama getting reelected, so I started stocking up extra beginning in August of last year, in addition to the regular stockpile. I mostly shoot 22 due to cost, which I have a few thousand of. Just waiting for my 22 revolver to arrive now.

Also picked up half a case of 22 when I found some at a good price, and did the same for 38 so I could practice with the snubbie.

I would like to get into lever action shooting, but can't find rifle ammo, so I will have to wait on that.

All in all I am set well to wait this one out.

Cast of One
January 22, 2013, 09:58 PM
I started buying primers right after the election so I have a good supply. I've been stocking up on other components so I'm good for now. My only worry is running out of powders but I'm good so far.

2zulu1
January 22, 2013, 10:34 PM
I have what I need, but since I like to shoot a lot, I'm also buying. I have about 700 38 Supers loaded up, will do another 100 tonight. With temps back in the 70s, I'll be at the range working on my tan lines. :)

horsemen61
January 22, 2013, 10:36 PM
sadly no I wasn't I kept putting it off and was blindsided :fire: mad at myself for letting it happen never again I vow to never let this happen again.

itchy1
January 22, 2013, 10:40 PM
Apparently a lot of people were not ready since they are all too eager to spend 3-4 times what stuff cost just a little over a month ago.

Cosmoline
January 22, 2013, 10:42 PM
I sold off my Colt carbine to a good guy right after this happened. I had decided to focus on my A1 retro build instead. Haven't lost any sleep over not demanding 3x's its value. And what goes around comes around. I don't alter my collection based on political issues. I do have a large backstock of primers though because we've had supply problems with those in the past. The only EBR I'm personally interested in adding would be an AR-10 and I'm still on the fence on that one frankly.

On a purely personal level I could be happy with black powder guns alone. But this was never about my personal stuff or personal interests. It's not about protecting my HOBBY. It's about protecting a fundamental right to keep and bear arms, and in so doing maintain the distinctive relationship we have with our central government. We are armed citizens.

stinger26
January 22, 2013, 11:20 PM
Got enough ammo, and certain types of rifles to be comfortable, however I only have one AR. I was always looking at picking up another and some lowers, but other priorities took hold. Looking back, seeing my local gun shop full of ARs and my local Wal-Mart with 6920s on the shelf in early December just reminds me of a missed opportunity. But I refuse to pay the prices I'm seeing currently (local Wal-Mart has pre panic pricing, but a 5 page waiting list), so hoping this blows over and stuff comes back to normal.

TanklessPro
January 23, 2013, 01:44 AM
I answered that I have what I need. Always shopping just in different areas.

Queen_of_Thunder
January 23, 2013, 02:00 AM
I was caught short on 45acp,9mm and .357 in factory ammo but I can reload them so I guess I'm ok. Yet one can never have enough ammo.

KNO3
January 23, 2013, 02:31 AM
I voted "have what I need", but all that means is I can't afford to shoot what I own! :banghead:
I've got a few thousand rounds each of 223/5.56, of 9mm, and .22lr but I haven't been to the range since October.
No way in hell I'm going to fork over $1/round for 5.56.:cuss: I'll let this blow over before I go plinking again.
What blows is I'm fairly new to shooting, and I need a lot more practice before I'm competent with my AR15 and my Glock, but I'm on hold right now because of the cost/scarcity of ammo.

tarosean
January 23, 2013, 02:37 AM
Im still shopping..

only because I picked the absolute worst time to start a 6.8spc upper build... ordered the Barrel on the 5th of Dec. knew that would take 8-10wks.. but all other parts BCG, Barrel Nut, etc. have vanished. Might pick up another high cap 9

rdhood
January 23, 2013, 09:54 AM
I'm still on the lookout for some eastern european AK47 30 rounders at decent prices. Most every other caliber I have is stacked at least 10 deep in magazines. No hurry, though. Everything else is well stocked (guns I want, ammunition, magazines).

mljdeckard
January 23, 2013, 06:21 PM
I have tried to implement a 2-1 rule. Whatever I buy or load, I only shoot half of it.

readyeddy
January 23, 2013, 06:41 PM
It's a cycle. Threat of bans, hoarding, less shooting, excess supply, increased shooting, threat of bans...

The trick is to stock up during the excess supply and increased shooting periods. That's what many have been doing for decades. That's why I have what I need now and I don't plan on buying anything gun related for at least the next 6 months.

TRX
January 23, 2013, 07:50 PM
I started picking up what I needed/wanted in late 2011, knowing it would probably get crazy before the election, and definitely crazy should wossname get re-elected.

leadchucker
January 23, 2013, 08:08 PM
Running low on powder. Didn't realize it until about a week ago. The only place that has any (I hope) is a fifty mile drive away. :cuss:

Tommygunn
January 23, 2013, 08:12 PM
Although there are still some guns I would like to buy, in all honesty I would have to say I really have what I need, and I did think it highly likely if Obama was re-elected there'd be another buying spree like 2008. I didn't think it would be this wild, but that doesn't alter the fact that I have what I need.

DMK
January 23, 2013, 08:14 PM
I have everything I "need", but not everything I "want". ;)

lionking
January 23, 2013, 08:44 PM
Reading through this thread made me retrospect a bit to my childhood with dad. Dad had a few guns not too many but a few. Couple of .22 pistols, a blackhawk .357, a .38 spcl and a shotgun. He bought me a .22 rifle and a 30-30. Still have them.

But he would take me out and we would have a great time shooting , maybe 100 to 150 rds of .22 and maybe use half a box of the bigger stuff at a time. He was on a budget after all. But the fun wasn't in how many rounds fired that day, it was trying to make each one count and the relaxing time in between. To this day I still like just breaking in between and watching others shoot and being social.

Gun wise and ammo on hand wise I have much more than my father ever had but for me I don't need to have 300 rounds just to go on one range trip. Too often at the range I see people unload a 30 rd mag as fast as they can.Reading through this thread tells me that while we might be in a down turned economy a lot of people are far better off then many in the past were even in good economic times. Not knocking it, heck I have some stuff too, but comments like " I only have 240 rounds of 30-30" or " I only have ONE AR" makes me think that some people in America have become the ultimate "keeping up with the Jones" sort to speak and I have been guilty of that also.

sgtstryker
January 23, 2013, 09:59 PM
I decided to sell a case of 7.62, to fund a need for a new revolver. As I was digging one out, I found some cans that I had forgotten about, so, I am more prepared than I thought. A whole bunch of .45 acp and 500 rounds of m118, mixed with boxes of Argentine 7.62 ball, talk about a surprise. Not to mention a spam can of chinese 7.62 ball. So I'll be shooting in the morning.

shooter_from_show-me
January 23, 2013, 10:13 PM
I was caught ''flat footed" only in reguards to .22 cal ammo. {go figure} I handload everything else and have an ample stock of components to last a year.

Same here in regards to .22 ammo.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Deserthunter
January 24, 2013, 01:22 AM
I was expecting anti-gun moves, but the school shooting pushed up the date. I was not quite ready and need more mags. On a positive note, I have been stocking up for the last few years. Besides the obvious anger we all feel, I'm also angry that I feel hurried to buy the remaining items I want before a possible AWB ban.

Arkansas Paul
January 24, 2013, 01:51 AM
I have everything I "need", but not everything I "want".

This. I'll just say, my shooting habits haven't changed one bit. I have several thousand loaded up and ready to go. I know some have more and some less. I'd like to have a bigger supply of components on hand though.

Aaron1100us
January 24, 2013, 04:00 AM
I was only some what prepared. I bought my Arsenal slr101s after Obumer got re-elected. But failed to stock up on enough ammo.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

col_temp
January 24, 2013, 05:00 AM
Marked have what I need but would have liked a both selection!

Got the 9mm and 22LR I need. (But could always use more :) )
Was in the pursuit of a hunting rifle. So got caught a bit short there. Guess its good I was leaning towards 270 in the end though I had thought about a 308/7.62 bolt originally. If I had gone that way I would be in a pinch trying to find some ammo to practice with!

justice06rr
January 24, 2013, 05:36 AM
I will admit I'm somewhat "new" to the firearm culture and only got into guns at the end of 2010 (due to younger age and going to college). So in a sense I'm still shopping a bit here and there and do not have massive stockpile like others.

Because of that, newer shooters like me did not go through the Clinton AWB and didn't really have much idea of the Obama scare in 2008. I speculate that many others (newer or younger shooters) may be going through the same.

thump_rrr
January 24, 2013, 05:46 AM
I must admit I'm in panic mode but not because I haven't been buying before hand.
I've only been shooting for a little less than 2 years now.
I have 1 AR-15, 1 precision rifle, an SKS, a shotgun and 2 pistols.
I have both a single stage and a progressive press and 2,000 rounds of ammo per pistol caliber. My intention for the winter was to build my rifle ammo stock before buying an M1 Garand.
I have 5,000 primers of each type and was in the process of making a powder and bullet order when the Newtown incident occurred.

Since I live in Canada yet shoot in Vermont I felt that I would be better served by purchasing another AR since my Norinco cannot be brought into the USA.
I found a Noveske lower which I wanted at a fair price so I bought it in hopes of finding an upper to pair it to.
When I began to look for a BCG I realized that finding exactly what I wanted for an upper would be a challenge since my existing upper is 14.5" and not able to be brought to the USA.
I decided then and there that I would purchase a complete AR.
I found a Stag 3 Gun which was in stock and actually on special a week ago today so I bought it.

Panic buying in Canada began with Pmags and to this day there are none to be found. I happened to find 11 of them in OD Green and FDE at a local store which I bought at regular price.
Since I really wanted some black ones I bought 6 black ones at an inflated price but at the same time sold 6 OD and FDE at the same inflated price. I was willing to trade them straight up for black but The 1 taker I had backed out.

SharpsDressedMan
January 24, 2013, 01:52 PM
I know what some of you mean by "both". I can make do with what I have, but went to a bigger store yesterday after bruinch with old co-workers and didn't really plan on paying scalping prices, or buying just to buy (I was just going to window shop), BUT, they had several ammo can promo's of the Federal "00" buck, 175 to the can, and I am not much of a shotgunner, and don't have much on hand. I bought one can, to augment the other can I bought a year ago that still has 150 rounds in it. They even had black rifles, etc, but they were about $400-$500 more than they were worth (Fin Feather & Fur in Ashland, OH).

Sheepdog1968
January 24, 2013, 06:48 PM
I'm in my mid 40s and have been through this kind of thing several times plus I live in CA which already has plenty of restrictions. Think hard about what you need (vs want vs hyped up) and buy it as soon as you can. 20+ years later I am still very happy with my initial choices in case that was all that I could ever get. Don't forget training. It's more important than just about anything else. Even if the ban goes through, there are lots of good choices still left.

If you enjoyed reading about "POLL: Were You Ready?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!