3 pages of "clip vs magazine"?? don't we have anything better to discuss?

PDA

larryh1108
January 21, 2013, 09:28 PM
So, a thread was just closed.
It was a silly thread but had a lot of action.
It is a cold, mid-January day with not a whole lot to do.
My question is, what is good enough to be discussed without being shut down?

Suggestions:

Caliber discussions - beat to death
Best for CCW - beat to death
Which 3 (or 4 or 5, etc) - beat to death
Upcoming legislation - many open threads, not enough information yet.
NYS laws - many open threads
Best caliber for bears - beaten to death
.22LR (.25ACP, .32AP, .380ACP)for self defense - beaten to death
SHOT Show - not here yet
Write your reps, govs, pres. - covered
Get involved, donate to the right causes - covered

You get my point.

My question is, if a thread is moving along but the topic is dumb, should we close it? Should we be allowed to talk a lot about nothing in the dead of winter with not a lot of new stuff going on? Should we just move along to something else because there is nothing new to talk about?

Anyone here have some cutting edge topic to discuss that hasn't been covered in the last 6 months?

If you enjoyed reading about "3 pages of "clip vs magazine"?? don't we have anything better to discuss?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Solo
January 21, 2013, 09:32 PM
3D printing?

barnbwt
January 21, 2013, 09:37 PM
In before the lock ;)

I thought that thread was about the importance of correct terminology (in all walks of life, not just guns, and not just clips v. magazines)? Is that not a valid topic given all the misinformation and inaccuracies flying around (from both sides)?

You forgot:
Best Magazine Capcity: beat to death
Unrelated News Articles: constantly stamped out
Zombie Threads: revived out of boredom

TCB

danez71
January 21, 2013, 09:43 PM
SHOT Show - not here yet

Shot show pics.... but cant get on due to limited bandwidth. <banghead>

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=697046

Shadow 7D
January 21, 2013, 09:47 PM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/roomie21/ar15b.jpg

Cause you have to deal with crap like this

January 21, 2013, 10:16 PM
Just proof that everyone is settling down and we can return to the drudgery of debating minutae and semantics again. Oh, happy days. ;)

larryh1108
January 21, 2013, 10:27 PM
The dog days of winter brings out the best of us!

Big Boy
January 21, 2013, 10:28 PM
A better discussion? Like having a discussion in a thread about a thread the had three pages of discussing clip vs mag?

larryh1108
January 21, 2013, 10:48 PM
Well.... for the lack of finding something better to talk about.... yes!

This was started to point out that some times it's ok to leave a silly thread open because at least people are talking in it. The topic line was copied and pasted from the mod who closed it. Some times there isn't anything better to talk about so why shut down one where at least it has 3 pages of conversation and still going. Yes, it was a silly thread but so what? Who was it hurting? It was gun related. No banned topics. Relatively civil.

This happens a lot more than just this one and I never understood why. I still don't know why. So, I started a thread to talk about how there is nothing to talk about. It is a slow, cold, snowy, mid-January night. I suppose we can all find a different place to go but that's not what having a discussion forum is about. It's about discussing whatever 2 or more people wish to talk about, silly or not. It was a good discussion and was shut down just because. So, here we are. Still nothing new to discuss.

BHP FAN
January 21, 2013, 10:55 PM
9mm vs. .45! Revolvers, or semi automatics, which is best? Is the .338 Lapua enough for deer?

hso
January 21, 2013, 10:56 PM
When a thread devolves into stubborn bickering and the exchanges start to get personal they always get closed before they get worse. That's not "a lot of action".

We don't need to let things get to the mud wrestling stage to see them headed there.

That thread already had folks getting heated with one another so it isn't exactly fair to try to depict the close as arbitrary.

taliv
January 21, 2013, 11:20 PM
de asini umbra disceptare

larryh1108
January 21, 2013, 11:26 PM
You can see if a thread is going down the toilet and you can see when a thread has someone who is offended but can easily get back on track. Almost every thread here has someone who gets his feelings hurt but it moves on.

de asini umbra disceptare

It may be a trivial thread but the point was (is) there is nothing else going on and it had a good handful of participants. Like the gun control issue at hand, you punished a lot for the actions of a few. Silly or not, it was something somewhat interesting on a slow day in the middle of winter. You can't have a good discussion without contrasting views.

taliv
January 21, 2013, 11:43 PM
as hso stated it was the pointless bickering that resulted in the close. it's not the end of the world. life moves on. start a new thread if you must, sans bickering

if the arguing is about something important, like our RKBA, threads usually are given a little more latitude. but when it's something as ridiculous as clip vs magazine, it's just not worth anyone's time to 'clean up'.

larryh1108
January 21, 2013, 11:53 PM
Totally agree but if you really think about it, the clip vs magazine debate has gone on for years. This thread seemed to have made some headway to the hardcore group that sniped at new posters who used the word clip. That's why I was enjoying the thread. I didn't even start it but it was always irritating when someone would blast someone else for calling a magazine a clip. I hoped this thread would stop the sniping.

My protest was silly as well, which I stated from the start. It wasn't meant to slam any moderator, either. It was a mild protest about closing threads that were not hurting anybody but had some interest. There wasn't as much bickering as there were hard core stands. That's what we were trying to get thru... that's it no big deal any more. I thought we made progress. But it's closed and time to move on.

hso
January 22, 2013, 12:07 AM
When people start getting personal threads get closed.

Only when a thread is highly valuable do staff take the time away from the rest of the forums to prune the thread so it can go on a while.

The thread wasn't highly valuable, we have a very high volume these days of very serious threads, and regardless of whether you wanted to keep arguing in the thread or not over terminology, staff simply don't have time to keep it from flaming up into fights. It wasn't important enough to keep fights from breaking out after it had started getting personal so it was closed. It wasn't because it was trivial as a topic, but because people were getting personal and we just don't have time to police it.

jmorris
January 22, 2013, 12:22 AM
Can't we all just get along?

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=177562&d=1358016150

R.W.Dale
January 22, 2013, 12:45 AM
Why do I get the feeling everyone is looking at me?

I don't exactly have a beef with my thread getting closed but yeah IMO it was every bit as valid as the panic laced rumor mongering going on in every other thread at the time.

I very seldom (read never) chime in on matters of moderation so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt here. I've noticed that when a couple posters start discussing directly to one another instead of as a vague reference to the forum as a whole even when absolutely civilized that to the staff is tantamount to personal attacks and is usually stopped right then. I know that may not be the goal but its certainly how it appears from time to time.

Guns are fun and you know what gun forums NEED to be that way too every once in awhile.

If you enjoyed reading about "3 pages of "clip vs magazine"?? don't we have anything better to discuss?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!