grip safeties

PDA

Jeremiah10:23
January 22, 2013, 10:49 AM
I would like to what you guys think of grip safeties like the ones on the XD series. I know trigger control is the key to safety but does the grip safety make a significant improvement?

If you enjoyed reading about "grip safeties" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skribs
January 22, 2013, 10:58 AM
Some people say it does, but I honestly don't think they do too much. Unless you're cradling the gun when you pick it up, you're probably just going to get a grip on it, which means the safety is disengaged. The most common pro I see people say is safety while reholstering, but the easiest way to reholster is gripping the grip.

That said, I don't think it's a bad thing. A lot of people knock the XD for including the grip safety, saying that if it fails you could have a problem. While true, I don't think it's very likely to fail. On the XD, you probably won't even realize its there after a magazine or two.

rcmodel
January 22, 2013, 11:09 AM
I think it is a safety improvement.

There have been a lot of Glock ND's over the years when reholstering the gun.

With the XD grip safety, you can relax your grip as you reholster and be assured a snagged trigger is not going to shoot you in the leg.

rc

g_one
January 22, 2013, 11:13 AM
Having never held an XD - how does the grip safety 'feel' compared to, say, a 1911? Is it very-light-pressure-on or does it require a good squeeze?

Sam1911
January 22, 2013, 11:16 AM
And xD's grip safety is a lot less obtrusive than a 1911s, but that's not saying much as a 1911's safety (if properly set up) is very unobtrusive to begin with.

The only thing that the grip safety does that I can understand some folks not caring for is that it locks the slide as well, so you have to have a firing grip on the gun to open the action. More of an annoyance than anything else, though.

Skribs
January 22, 2013, 11:22 AM
Ah yeah, Sam, that did annoy me.

I'm speculating here, but I think the number of people who choose whether or not they want the XD based on the fact it has a grip safety are in the minority to people who consider it a minor change or don't even care.

rcmodel
January 22, 2013, 11:26 AM
On the plus side, the XD grip safety locking the slide when not depressed prevents a tight holster from pushing the slide out of battery.

I like it.

rc

ku4hx
January 22, 2013, 11:26 AM
My first grip safety was/is on my GI issue 1911; several more since then. My experience is they're totally innocuous.

2wheels
January 22, 2013, 01:21 PM
I think it's a slight improvement to safety on a striker fired gun. As much as fanatical Glockers love to rant "all you need is trigger control!" there's nothing wrong with a barely noticeable grip safety that deactivates when you grip the gun, this isn't the thumb saftety you'll somehow forget to switch off on the draw.

And if you don't like it? Go buy something else. I'm lovin' the free market!

josephbw
January 22, 2013, 02:24 PM
The grip safety on my XDs and XD40SC are both a non issue as far as how they feel. I noticed them the very first time I fired both guns, but I've never noticed them since then. If you have an improper grip, they will remind you to cinch up as you try to pull the trigger and nothing happens. :D

holdencm9
January 22, 2013, 04:13 PM
I don't mind it on the XD or a 1911. I agree with Sam it takes slightly more pressure on a typical 1911, but after 1 shot you don't even notice it anyway.

I also agree that most people would just holster it by gripping it, but there is a technique (if your hands are big enough) to sort of "palm" it and you can holster without depressing the grip safety.

2wheels
January 22, 2013, 04:34 PM
I also agree that most people would just holster it by gripping it, but there is a technique (if your hands are big enough) to sort of "palm" it and you can holster without depressing the grip safety.

I used a technique I picked up somewhere mainly intended for hammer guns but it works for the XD because of the grip safety, I placed my thumb on the back of the slide when reholstering. It removed the web of my hand from the grip safety, making reholstering that much safer. Should work for most people.

matrem
January 22, 2013, 05:31 PM
Bought my first XD several years ago without any regard whatsoever to the grip safety. Years later, I have absolutely nothing negative to say about it being there.
In fact, after habitual holster inserting with thumb on back of slide, and the going out of battery issue that was brought up, I can think of a minor positive or two of it being there.

Buck Kramer
January 22, 2013, 05:51 PM
I love it, the extra safety was a selling point for me over the M&P and Glock models. I dont even notice it on the draw and putting the thumb on the back of the slide (thus disengaging the back safety) makes for a safer re-holstering.

J2FLAN
January 22, 2013, 06:48 PM
The grip safety only locks the trigger on the XDs, wish it wern`t so, cause it can be out of battery when you least need it to be.

matrem
January 22, 2013, 07:03 PM
The grip safety only locks the trigger on the XDs, wish it wern`t so, cause it can be out of battery when you least need it to be.
Just checked. You're absolutely right.
I'll not repeat that second "positive" again.
Guess I'm at zero negatives and only one positive for that grip safety.

Drail
January 22, 2013, 07:25 PM
So we have determined that the grip safety on an XD DOES NOT lock the slide?

matrem
January 22, 2013, 07:44 PM
It stops it from going back more than a quarter inch or so, but it will go back far enough to take it out of battery, so no, it does not lock it.

Sam1911
January 22, 2013, 08:13 PM
That's right. It will come back about 1/4" and then stop.

jmr40
January 22, 2013, 08:22 PM
I think they are far more likely to prevent the gun from firing when you want it to fire than it is to prevent the gun from firing when you don't want it to.

Double Vision
January 22, 2013, 08:32 PM
I usually shoot 1911s so I found the XD-S grip safety transparent in use.

breakingcontact
January 22, 2013, 11:41 PM
I love it, the extra safety was a selling point for me over the M&P and Glock models. I dont even notice it on the draw and putting the thumb on the back of the slide (thus disengaging the back safety) makes for a safer re-holstering.

Not an XD fan, but good move.

psyopspec
January 23, 2013, 12:16 AM
"Innocuous" IMO as others have said.

I don't considered it required equipment by any means, but it wouldn't stop me from owning a pistol I liked or shot well.

Lucky Derby
January 23, 2013, 01:57 AM
Just as on the 1911, its a non-issue, either way.

Roadking Rider
January 23, 2013, 06:57 AM
Grip safeties are just that safeties. They have no effect of accuracy, and if the pistol is held in your hand properly you will never know it's on the pistol.
Reguardless of what some say about it could be a problem. The fact is you'd more than likely have a better chance of a squib round then the grip safety not working. I have a few pistols with grip safeties and they have never been a problem. God only knows why some just feel the need to make it a much to do about nothing. :rolleyes:

Inebriated
January 23, 2013, 07:44 AM
If you happen to be unable to attain a full firing grip on the gun, there's always a chance you can't fire your gun. For defensive uses, I don't like them. For competitions, hunting, etc... they're a non-issue.

KenW.
January 23, 2013, 10:45 PM
I have tried, intentionally, to find a way to attempt to fire the XD without depressing the grip safety and could not. I don't believe it is a valid arguement at all. You'd have to be holding the thing with your fingertips.

AethelstanAegen
January 23, 2013, 11:34 PM
I have tried, intentionally, to find a way to attempt to fire the XD without depressing the grip safety and could not. I don't believe it is a valid arguement at all. You'd have to be holding the thing with your fingertips.

+1 You'd have to really be trying not to depress it in a shooting situation. Frankly, if you have that wonky of a grip on your gun in a life or death situation, you're not going to hit anything anyway and you'd be better off taking half a second to get a grip on the gun. I really can't find a way to shoot it without disengaging the grip safety.

rcmodel
January 23, 2013, 11:41 PM
For defensive uses, I don't like them.Yea!

Thats for sure the only reason they replaced the 1911 in military service after 2.7 million of them were used in two world wars and too many "other" wars and "police actions" to count over 74 years.

Those dang grip safetys anyway!!

They could get you killed in defensive uses for sure. :rolleyes:

rc

Inebriated
January 24, 2013, 05:42 AM
Yea!

Thats for sure the only reason they replaced the 1911 in military service after 2.7 million of them were used in two world wars and too many "other" wars and "police actions" to count over 74 years.

Those dang grip safetys anyway!!

They could get you killed in defensive uses for sure.

rc

What do I care about military or LE uses? Should I only drive Crown Vic's, too? I'm sorry I offended you and your 1911 with a personal opinion.

WoodchuckAssassin
January 24, 2013, 06:50 AM
This is the main reason why I prefer the XD series to Glocks - the added palm safety. Like other posters have said, it's all about trigger control...but if there's no thumb safety, I really prefer to have a palm safety for piece of mind. Every semiauto I'VE ever owned had a thumb safety. If you train with it, there's no reason not to have the added safety.

Fishslayer
January 24, 2013, 10:47 PM
The only thing that the grip safety does that I can understand some folks not caring for is that it locks the slide as well, so you have to have a firing grip on the gun to open the action. More of an annoyance than anything else, though.

I guess it must not be an issue for me since in the years I've been handling 1911s I had no idea that it locked the slide!:o Learn something new every day.

EDIT: I just hadsta know... went out & tried it. Grip safety didn't lock the slide on either one. :shrug:

I like the grip safety. It makes more sense than internal locks and mag disconnects...

GLOOB
January 25, 2013, 05:32 AM
1911 has a grip safety to make it more dropsafe. If it were to hit the ground muzzle up, the trigger could be depressed by inertia, firing the gun upwards, towards your head.

The XD has a trigger dongle that fills that role, already. So for an XD, I don't think the safety really makes a big difference. Sure, it locks the slide. And it prevents the trigger from being pulled if your grip is wrong. But it doesn't fulfill the fundamental and vital role that it does on a 1911.

In neither case will it prevent 99% of NDs. In the XD's case, it is redundant in the prevention of AD's.

There is a reason why 1911's have a grip safety. And nearly all other handguns do not.

Sam1911
January 25, 2013, 08:46 AM
I guess it must not be an issue for me since in the years I've been handling 1911s I had no idea that it locked the slide! Learn something new every day.

EDIT: I just hadsta know... went out & tried it. Grip safety didn't lock the slide on either one. :shrug:

No, no...on the XD!

If you enjoyed reading about "grip safeties" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!