357 sig w/o the bottle neck – interesting brass

PDA

wtr100
January 22, 2013, 01:47 PM
Boys came across some interesting brass – head stamp is 357 SIG but the bottle neck is missing, the case mouth looks like it had a heavy roll crimp. They chucked them into the scrap bucket.

What would cause this? Somebody wouldn’t have reloaded 357 sig back to 40 s&w would they?

:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "357 sig w/o the bottle neck – interesting brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Elkins45
January 22, 2013, 02:21 PM
Or maybe they shot it in a 40 barrel and fireformed it back to 40? I would be surprised if it could survive this without splitting, so resizing to 40 is probably more likely.

ReloaderFred
January 22, 2013, 08:11 PM
I've seen them before, and it's caused by shooting them in a .40 S&W chamber. The roll at the mouth is the giveaway, since the 357 Sig case is longer than the .40 case. The roll is caused by the leade of the chamber.

They probably wondered why their accuracy wasn't very good...........

Hope this helps.

Fred

GP100man
January 22, 2013, 10:46 PM
The saying on the street is ,ya can shoot a sig from a 40 barrel & leave no grooves on the bullet ???

Anyone care to chrony some ???

beatledog7
January 22, 2013, 11:20 PM
...shoot a sig from a 40 barrel & leave no grooves on the bullet ???

You would also overstress your extractor, ruin the brass, and experience lousy accuracy. I guess if someone's planning a shoot he doesn't care about any of that.

hAkron
January 23, 2013, 12:04 AM
Somebody I know, who might be me, once shot a few rounds of 357 sig out of a 40 barrel by accident and the brass fire formed to look like .40

wtr100
January 23, 2013, 08:00 AM
Interesting, we're in a 'vein' of these at the moment - the boys have probably found 10 of them

I guess thise goes under the 'takes all kinds' heading - more for the scrap man ...

OilyPablo
January 23, 2013, 08:26 AM
I wonder if they discovered the issue when they came home and cleaned the new "357Sig" they bought on Gunbroker? :D:what::eek:

Or OOPs I thought my 357Sig was in....or.......

Just wow. People are amazing. Just because they own guns doesn't make their IQ or attention to detail increase.

If you enjoyed reading about "357 sig w/o the bottle neck – interesting brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!