Bolt action 22 blowing powder back in my face

PDA

hboy35
January 22, 2013, 02:26 PM
I have an old Savage 3D bolt action 22 that has seen lots of use. I have shot it on and off the past 30 years. Recently on a few outings, when I fire it, I am getting some stuff blowing back from the bolt to my face (thank heaven for shooting glasses).

What could be the cause? I am going to clean the bolt face, chamber face, chamber and barrel, but is this a sign of poor maintenance or something that needs repair?

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Bolt action 22 blowing powder back in my face" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BCRider
January 22, 2013, 02:55 PM
Check the ejected casings for splits. Especially around the rim where the firing pin struck.

If they are not split then look at the outsides for fouling on one side and compare it for signs of erosion or wear on the chamber. And, although it's a slim chance of this, check the barrel for signs of a crack that may be letting some of the gases leak back when under pressure then it's snapping closed. But again a cracked barrel or eroded area of the chamber will, or should, show as fouling on the sidewalls of the spent casings.

NORMALLY the gas pressure should cause the casing to expand and seal against the side of the chamber. But if the chamber area is corroded/erroded away over the years and the rounds fit rather loosely in the bore then the elasticity of the brass can cause the casing to spring back to normal while there is still some considerable pressure in the chamber. But the gases leaking back like this will/should stain the sidewalls and that is an indicator of the situation.

RPRNY
January 22, 2013, 02:59 PM
What ammo are you shooting. I'm unfamiliar with the model Savage that you reference and would have thought a bolt gun would handle HV ammo in any event, but in addition to the good points made above, it may be that your rifle is not suited to high velocity ammo. In any event, it wants a very thorough going over before further shooting.

mac66
January 22, 2013, 04:28 PM
I had the same problem with an old Marlin. What I learned is that they were not designed for the modern high velocity ammo. Use standard velocity and the problem will likely go away. I don't think it unsafe to use HV ammo, just not very comfortable

Reloadron
January 22, 2013, 04:47 PM
Thoroughly clean the rifle paying attention to the chamber, breech face and the bolt-face. Does the breech-face have a divot from the firing pin striking it during dry fire?

Ron

jr_watkins
January 22, 2013, 04:51 PM
Using Remington 22lr bulk ammo? I'd try something else and see if you still have the same issue.

Gig 'em!

If you enjoyed reading about "Bolt action 22 blowing powder back in my face" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!