What's the fastest, easiest way to trim 223 brass?

PDA

Rule3
January 22, 2013, 04:54 PM
Looking for the fastest and easiest way to trim.

I have the RCBS Manual Trim Mate with the 3 way cutter that chamfers and de burrs at the same time (it's pretty slick) I have the powder drill adapter (just a hex shaft rod that you shove in instead of the turning knob. I have done a few hundred with the hand crank and that gets old real fast.!

So it's push on the handle, insert case, pick up drill shove it in trim, put down drill remove case put in the next. etc.

I looked at the Worlds Finest Trimmer which looks good, fast and easy but then you still need to de burr and chamfer so that is handling the same brass 2 or 3 times.Plus brass chips are flying all over (I can work that out)

What I like is no piolts, shell holders to unlock just shove the case in by hand.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/997722?cm_vc=S014

Then I could use this gadget.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/245424?cm_vc=S014

So would this set up beat what I have???

Any other ideas??

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the fastest, easiest way to trim 223 brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Canuck-IL
January 22, 2013, 04:59 PM
Nothing beats a Giraud ... however, the price of admission is a little steep.
http://www.giraudtool.com/

/Bryan

jmorris
January 22, 2013, 05:03 PM
Nothing is faster than the Dillon trimmer, once set up on a 650 or 1050 you can size/deprime and trim 1800 an hour without touching a single case.

ironworkerwill
January 22, 2013, 05:05 PM
I like the lee fl case trimmer. Its pretty easy and you can use a cordless drill. they are all the same every time. Cheap too, you just gotta buy one for every case you load.

mike.h
January 22, 2013, 05:07 PM
WFT works (very very well) for me :)

Rule3
January 22, 2013, 06:21 PM
Nothing beats a Giraud ... however, the price of admission is a little steep.
http://www.giraudtool.com/

/Bryan
Actually the price is about the same as the Hornady and RCBS do all machines. The Giraud, if I read the instructions correctly, chamfers and deburrs also.. I really can not justify spending that much but it's a no BS lifetime warranty so it may well be worth it. It looks to be the best designed/made machine. You got me thinking on that one.

As I do not own a Dillon. their trimmer is not an option. A 1050 with case feeder and all the extras would cost more than my car.

The WFT looks good to me, I can use it in my neighbors yard and let the chips fly.:D

1KPerDay
January 22, 2013, 06:23 PM
You said fastest and easiest... not cheapest. ;)

Rule3
January 22, 2013, 06:28 PM
You said fastest and easiest... not cheapest. ;)
I have cheapest. The Lee , Which works fine if you want to 10 or 20 rounds,No adjustment either unless you grind it down but then its permanent.

How about, fastest, EASIEST and moderately priced.;)

1KPerDay
January 22, 2013, 06:34 PM
I'd go this route:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EeZ6np1XsA

Rule3
January 22, 2013, 06:44 PM
Almost exactly what I doing now, He is a little faster as his cam lock shell holder releases the case. My RCBS you have to lift the case out.

1KPerDay
January 22, 2013, 06:48 PM
Yeah, the older model Trim Pro with the rotary collet (like mine and the guy's in the vid) is slicker if you want the case to drop free.

So you have a nice cheap quick setup already, but are looking for something faster/better/cheaper? Don't think you'll find it... ;)

jmorris
January 22, 2013, 07:30 PM
The Dillon will work in any press that takes standard dies.

cfullgraf
January 22, 2013, 07:50 PM
I have been using the Lee and an LE Wilson. I am currently transitioning to the WFT trimmers except I am looking for a better drive than a drill motor.

I find a drill motor cumbersome. I used a battery screwdriver with the Lee. Maybe I will try my lathe but it is not convient as sitting at my reloading bench.

After buying several WFTs, I looked again at the Giraud. Once the initial unit is purchased, additional trim modules are the same cost of the WFT trimmers.

So, when I get the urge for a new toy, I may get a Giraud.

Rule3
January 22, 2013, 08:18 PM
Yeah, the older model Trim Pro with the rotary collet (like mine and the guy's in the vid) is slicker if you want the case to drop free.

So you have a nice cheap quick setup already, but are looking for something faster/better/cheaper? Don't think you'll find it... ;)
That was what I was trying to evaluate. It works pretty well, just cumbersome with the drill part and push down on the flat paddle that holds the case. I really do not need 500 rounds a week so I guess I will plod along.

I like the Giraurd though!

Thanks.

Rule3
January 22, 2013, 08:41 PM
Now that's what I am talking about. Send me your brass I'll trim it for ya!:D
Since there are no more guns to buy what as well get some equipment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_420720&feature=iv&src_vid=XZuH3i4N1gQ&v=0X1Zdwnm9Fk

dap22
January 22, 2013, 09:03 PM
Giraud by a landslide.

lightman
January 22, 2013, 10:31 PM
Another vote for Giraud! Lightman

Bentley4700
January 22, 2013, 10:48 PM
Dillon. When the Giraud guys are just finished sizing/deprimming, we are done trimming too.

ArchAngelCD
January 23, 2013, 12:58 AM
Wow, there are a lot of votes for the Giraud but that will run you well over $400 just to trim cases. While I have no doubt it's the best tool for the job I just can't justify spending all that money when there are other much less expensive options.

Eb1
January 23, 2013, 03:29 AM
Post #2

Eb1
January 23, 2013, 03:36 AM
I use these with the power adapter
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=4294846266&newcategorydimensionid=11880

thump_rrr
January 23, 2013, 07:37 AM
I have the Dillon which is very fast for producing .223.
I don't chamfer and deburr my .223 since I use boat tail bullets and use them for my gas guns.

For precision reloading I use the L.E. Wilson trimmer which is not fast at all.

If I needed to produce large quantities of precision rounds which needed to be chamfered and deburred I would choose the Giraud myself.

My question to Giraud owners is how long does it take to make a caliber change?

Rule3
January 23, 2013, 02:38 PM
Wow, there are a lot of votes for the Giraud but that will run you well over $400 just to trim cases. While I have no doubt it's the best tool for the job I just can't justify spending all that money when there are other much less expansive options.

Hey Arch, What are the expansive options:D;)

Seriously though what do you recommend?

I have read pretty good reviews of the possum hollow trimmers

"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

ArchAngelCD
January 23, 2013, 03:30 PM
Hey Arch, What are the expansive options:D;)

Seriously though what do you recommend?

I have read pretty good reviews of the possum hollow trimmers

"Quando omni flunkus moritati"
Yeah, ya gota love the spell checker when you pick one and it's the wrong word! lol

I'm using a Forster Original Trimmer (http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=37130). I give one a try last year when helping a friend load up some brass and ordered it that night! Forster has all kinds of add-on tools so it does everything including pocket cleaning and neck truing. The Forster Original Case Trimmer Kit (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/614276/forster-original-case-trimmer-kit) is under $100 and the kit comes with the most common Pilots and Collets you need.

Rule3
January 23, 2013, 03:37 PM
The Foster is a very good machine but is essentially the same as my RCBS. Fine for a few cases but drudgery when doing a large number.

I need more power Scotty. (actually I am just lazy and my thumb and palm of my hand hurts from cranking) I did a 100 yesterday with the drill attachment which was a lot better.

I am gonna e mail the Worlds Finest as I have some questions and may go with that.

Cheers

Offfhand
January 23, 2013, 03:55 PM
Check out the Gracey trimmer, it and the Giraud work in identical faishon at the same speed. In fact, the Giraud is nothing but a knock off of the Gracey but is priced a lot higher, even though the Gracey is a more elegant design.

kelbro
January 23, 2013, 05:14 PM
Possum Hollow is nice but good luck finding one. Nowadays, I would have to go with WFT.

Rule3
January 23, 2013, 06:25 PM
The Gracy appears to be as nice as the Girauard and a little less$$ but still probably more than I really need. Think I will try a WFT. For the price not much to loose.

rodregier
January 23, 2013, 06:47 PM
+1 Giraud. That or equiv thruput if you're feeding a semi-auto. I've used lesser products, sorry I didn't buy the Giraud sooner.

I note that Giraud sells upgrade kits for the Gracy, but haven't heard of the reverse :-)

kostner
January 25, 2013, 05:47 PM
As soon as I get mine I'll give you a review. $24. priced right.
Out of Stock, Backorder OK
Add to Cart
Notify Me Notify me of what?

Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer 17 Remington, 221 Remington Fireball, 222 Remington, 222 Remington Magnum, 223 Remington
4.5 Read 23 Reviews

Steve H
January 25, 2013, 05:52 PM
+1 on Possum Hollow

Rule3
January 26, 2013, 02:48 PM
Thanks, I was considering that PH but no one has them in stock.

XD 45acp
January 26, 2013, 07:07 PM
You mean my Bastard file and pocket knife for deburring is obsolete? :neener:

FROGO207
January 27, 2013, 08:38 AM
I use the Lee case trimmer system on a drill press and use the base to set the length instead of the shellholder. Then I use a LE Wilson chamfer/deburr tool in the drill chuck of a hand drill mounted on a board and just touch the case necks to it before I put the casing down. I do mine in batches and outside chamfer as a separate step when I get a container full and have to turn the LE Wilson tool around each time. If I had to set it up again a case prep center would work well also I believe, after using the lee trimmer step first. Lots less money to accomplish the same end result IMHO.:D

soloban
January 27, 2013, 11:16 AM
Another vote for WFT. I have one in 30-06 and 223 for the Garand and AR-15 since I tend to load up hundreds at a time.

zxcvbob
January 27, 2013, 11:23 AM
I haven't tried a WFT yet, but I like what I see in the videos and the price isn't too bad.

I use Lee trimmers. For pistol brass (mostly making 9x18 out of 9x19), I chuck the shellholder in a cordless drill. For rifle brass, I chuck the cutter in a drill press and trim them without using a shellholder.

soloban
January 27, 2013, 12:09 PM
I started with the Lee trimmers but taking them in and out of the holder gets old quick.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
January 27, 2013, 12:39 PM
After determining the max and min OAL, I pick the middle as a length by which I measure.

Using my (good-quality) caliper, I quickly sort through sized cases, culling into two piles, those that are above the mid-length (which are the ones to be trimmed) and those that are below the mid-length which won't be trimmed.

I can go through 1,000 cases in less than about an hour.

I then set up my Forster (hand-crank) trimmer for the Trim-to length (minimum length) and trim all the culled cases that are now in a pile that are all over the mid-length.

I would say, doing this in several sessions, not all at once, the total length of time for 1,000 cases would be about two to three hours, maximum.

When reloading, any part of the process that is handling and performing the same task many times over, I find I get extremely fast at each of those tasks. Of course, I need to give my hands and body a break, so I stop every so often to go get a large drink of water, get the mail, check email, etc.

I am typically not in any hurry, whatsoever, when reloading, so it may actually take me days or weeks to finish such a task, doing it when I'm in the mood and when my body is working well and up for it.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the fastest, easiest way to trim 223 brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!