serial #'s on custom made firearms

PDA

missuramoss
January 22, 2013, 05:36 PM
Howdy gang...Was watching episodes of Family Guns on youtube, and they had an episode where they made a custom built, from scratch SSA.

I was just wondering...How do they come up with a serial # for those? Do they just make one up, and register it somehow? Could it be any number they wish to stamp on?

Anyways...was just curious...Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "serial #'s on custom made firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kwhi43@kc.rr.com
January 22, 2013, 05:39 PM
None of my many custom guns have no number.

Sam1911
January 22, 2013, 05:41 PM
There is no registration. The maker picks out something, or works it out with the owner.

WoodchuckAssassin
January 22, 2013, 05:45 PM
Is there ANY government regulation/tracking of made-from-scratch guns? Seems like something they would want to stick their noses in.

Rattus58
January 22, 2013, 06:15 PM
Is there ANY government regulation/tracking of made-from-scratch guns? Seems like something they would want to stick their noses in.
My question to you would be as to why would you want to bring it up... especially today... :)

Aloha.. :cool:

Sam1911
January 22, 2013, 06:23 PM
No. There is no government regulation or tracking of made from scratch guns. Except for NFA firearms like machine-guns, short-barreled rifles or shotguns, "AOWs," or destructive devices.

rcmodel
January 22, 2013, 06:31 PM
There would be for a gun made by American Guns on TV.
(Family guns is the IMA antique arms dealers TV show)

But for Rich Wyatt's Gunsmoke Inc. company to make a complete SAA from scratch on TV and sell it requires a Manufactures license.

And that requires a designated serial number of the manufactures choosing.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "serial #'s on custom made firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!