Your Concealed Carry Gun?

PDA

Dynasty
January 22, 2013, 07:54 PM
How long did it take you to find your "go to" everyday concealed carry gun?

I'm in the process of getting my concealed carry permit and there are so many choices out there.

How many guns did you experiment with before you found your favorite?

If you enjoyed reading about "Your Concealed Carry Gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
snooperman
January 22, 2013, 08:16 PM
I have been carrying the Colt magnum carry 357 mag. for the past 12 years and before that the Colt Cobra 38 special. Both hold 6 shots and are reliable.

guyfromohio
January 22, 2013, 08:21 PM
I'm always searching, but I keel falling back to the 642. Sig 239 is a close second.

OptimusPrime
January 22, 2013, 08:23 PM
Availability trumps wish list. I carried a 4" revolver for a short time before I found the LCP which I carried for a short time before I found love in the shape and weight of a plastic brick that is a Glock 21.
So 3rd time was the charm for me, and I'm big (fat) enough that I don't need to downsize and therefore don't plan on changing.

1 old 0311-1
January 22, 2013, 08:24 PM
I have had my CCW permit over 40 years. Probably carried 10-15. This has lasted the longest, 4-5 years.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n489/kcq1/P1020135.jpg

USAF_Vet
January 22, 2013, 08:24 PM
I'm currently carrying a S&W 469. It carries well with a good belt and a proper holster. It's a medium sized frame, so it helps I'm a big guy and can get away with wearing a cover garment 8-9 months out of the year.

It does not conceal as well in warmer weather, which is not a big deal here in Michigan, since I can open carry.

12+1 rounds of 9mm is a nice feeling, though.

But having said that, I'm looking for another carry gun. Something a little smaller and a lot lighter. Not to replace my S&W, but to carry in lieu of at certain times.

Pud
January 22, 2013, 09:01 PM
I carry a Ruger SR9C...easy to carry, even with the 17 round mag.
Excellent trigger and accuracy.
Very happy with it! :D
Pud

ETXhiker
January 22, 2013, 09:17 PM
Smith & Wesson 3913. It is thin, reliable and accurate, but still a little heavy. I'm looking at something smaller, maybe a Beretta Nano, or a Smith M&P Sheild. I'm still searching for the "Holy Grail" - something you have great confidence in, yet easy to carry. Right now, my confidence is in my 1911 and my easy to carry gun is an LCP. Bridging the gap is the challenge...

ID-shooting
January 22, 2013, 09:18 PM
Carried a P3AT but now carry a LCP.

Sergei Mosin
January 22, 2013, 09:23 PM
It's been a few years since I got my carry permit, and I still use the same gun I was carrying then - my 1911. I carry other guns from time to time, but there's nothing quite as comforting as parking that big lump of steel on my hip.

Double Vision
January 22, 2013, 09:24 PM
In NJ CCW is almost impossible. But if I could, it would probably be the XD-S.

CPLofMARINES
January 22, 2013, 09:28 PM
Started off with a Kahr P-9 Covert (short grip) was reliable
In the beginning then it did'nt like my Win 115 grn. Silver tips.
Just did'nt have confidence in it. Then I chose a Glock 26.
Love it, maybe thicker but I can adjust.

Semper Fi

Creature
January 22, 2013, 09:31 PM
My gen 3 Colt Detective Special or my Model 36 Chief's Special. Both loaded with Buffalo Bore 158gr LSWCHP.

On rare occasions I carry a P225-barreled Sig P6 loaded up with 124gr Gold Dots +P's.

Plan2Live
January 22, 2013, 09:32 PM
Take a NRA Basic Pistol class. Hang around the range as much as possible and talk to lots of people. Shoot as many guns as you can. Never take the advice from the guy that says "just buy a (insert brand and model) it's the best gun ever made". Consider all aspects such as how you will use it, what it is really for, will you carry it, how will you carry it, etc. Then think long and hard about caliber. Caliber cost, availability, recoil vs delivered energy, etc. Research, research, research then decide. Once you have decided, stop researching and practice, practice, practice and stick with it for at leasst 6 months. Hopefully by then you will realize that there is no perfect gun and that every choice comes with a certain amount of compromise.

colorado_handgunner
January 22, 2013, 09:34 PM
Started with an XDSC, then G23, then LCP, then KAHR CW9, but I have finally settled on a S&W 642. The reliability and pocketabilty are key to me carrying everywhere I can. And unlike the lcp, I can shoot it accurately.

Let's not even talk about the number of holsters I have been through.
;)

CPLofMARINES
January 22, 2013, 09:35 PM
Plan2Live is right on the $$$$

Unistat
January 22, 2013, 09:39 PM
5 years ago I bought my first gun, a Glock 27. A few months later I got my carry permit. I have been carrying the G27 almost everyday since. I have a 642 that I pocket or ankle carry on occasion and a S&W 13 that I woods carry.

rswartsell
January 22, 2013, 09:42 PM
Shooting for 30+ years, relatively recent CCW. The long shooting experience before CCW made it relatively easy to narrow the set of choices for me. 3rd Series 70's vintage Colt Detective Special and a 70's vintage Lawman Mk III 2" .357. On the bench further down is a full size Kimber Custom II Target. The only adjustable sight in my CCW lineup, least time in the saddle in very hot Louisiana.

The "go to" is the Detective Special. Pretty recently you would have heard me saying the Lawman is my favorite. Still is in a way but thinking about it now the DS is getting most of the belt time. My "old school" bent is reflected in my choices. For me, I'm confident in my choices but still "learning" what is my true "go to" as time adds up. YMMV

horsemen61
January 22, 2013, 09:59 PM
well I went and got my ccw then went and shot a LCR 357 fell in love so I carried it then a buddy let me shoot his glock 19 and polymer is now my choice.

tomrkba
January 22, 2013, 10:01 PM
How long did it take you to find your "go to" everyday concealed carry gun?

My original gun was my "go to" gun since it was my only pistol. I always come back to it. The problem is that it is not concealable with most of my wardrobe.

How many guns did you experiment with before you found your favorite?

I am still looking after 16 years.

I have my best guesses, but that's about it. I compromised and have divided them up into four classes: pocket, small, medium and large. Pocket and small are the most concealable, but lack the capacity, ease of use, and longer sight radius that make the larger guns much better shooters.

I found that a Glock 19 and Glock 26 cover 95% of all situations. The last 5% is solved by a mini semi-automatic pistol or a small revolver. However, I can make do with a Glock 26 even in the last 5%, but it's annoying.

My recommendation is that if you have no idea what to get, buy a Glock 19. Add night sights, grip plug, and a Ghost 3.5# connector. If you do not like the gun after six months, you can always sell it at a small loss (rather than a large one) since they're so popular. But, you'll find that its overall height and width is just about perfect to avoid printing while providing you with a long sight radius and full palm support. A Browning Hi-Power MK III in 9x19mm has similar characteristics (I do not use them at this time due to all the modifications for carry that are needed--figure $400+ in work plus refinishing. ION Bond runs $400 or so). The S&W M&P compacts are a blend of the sizes of the Glock 19 and 26. It may be a the compromise you're looking for.

I have found the SIG P229 to be a good compromise between a medium and large gun. It's slightly larger than a Glock 19. One advantage for shooting is the gun weighs more. This can be a disadvantage as far as your back is concerned. I found it to turn 40 S&W and 357 SIG from annoying to tolerable cartridges. I'd likely carry one in 357 SIG if I could put up with reloading the necked case. 40 DeathRay is just silly (made for those who need a "4" in the caliber), so the obvious choice is hot 9x19mm.

I have found a whole bunch of guns that are annoying or designed by marketing people. Small semi-automatic pistols chambered in 45 ACP are almost universally terrible. They have low capacity and nasty recoil (small 1911's, Glock 36, Springfield XDS, etc). Oversized guns in 380 Automatic are another silly concept. Chambering 40 S&W or 357 SIG in a small semi-automatic is useless, just like chambering 10 mm in very light guns. The shot recovery time is too long and the blast is as bad as full 357 Magnum out of a two inch barrel.

The Ruger SP101 is another terrible design despite its popularity. It's almost as if the design team took all the thrown out requirements from successful designs and munged them together to make this gun. The problems are not obvious. First, it is nearly full sized and only holds five rounds (six is statistically significant for getting two shots into each attacker--see a thread on this forum that goes over the percentages). Secondly, the cylinder crane is not long enough. It is about 1/8" or so too short, which results in speed loaders binding on the rubber grip. Empty cases will catch too. It needs a rear sight rather than a groove and the stainless steel finish makes it tough to line up the sights. Finally, the short barreled version is just too heavy to be a small gun and not heavy enough to be a full sized gun. They should just bring back the Speed Six and Security Six.

Make sure to consider the cost of magazines. HK P30's are great, but the cost of the magazine is incredibly high. SIG has become almost as ridiculous and Glock recently cranked up their prices to $30 or so (wait for sales after the 2012-2013 Panic). Even 1911 magazines are creeping up and high quality mags cost $30-40 each. NEVER buy non-factory magazines unless the gun is well known and the magazine manufacturer is well known -- do your research. Never, ever buy anything from PRO Mag.

jmace57
January 22, 2013, 10:10 PM
I carry a Bersa Thunder .380. Fits in a front right pocket. I can shoot it accurately. It has never jammed or failed in any way. I trust it.

Byrd666
January 22, 2013, 10:48 PM
Last question first. I have yet to find my favorite, sans a 1911 5". I have a few very comfortable pistols and revolvers I like to use and or carry on a daily basis. And I carry each that I have very specifically and for very different reasons, including dress, or weather.

I have gone through, or experimented with a multitude of pistols and revolvers to find the ones that I have, and or for carry everyday. Quite a few trips to various ranges that had "loners" available was a major factor in my decision making process. As were quite a few trips to my friends' and buds' houses for looks and feels. As well as just what you are doing. Asking questions and advice. Not to mention countless gunshows just to see, feel, and ask even more questions.

My carries for now are:
S&W M&P c9
Ruger SR9
CZ 83
S&W 2 1/2" combat magnum
KelTec P3AT

And the one or two that were close to perfect were:
Bersa Thunder UC 9Pro
Sringfield EMP .40 - THE closest thing to perfection ever - just my opinion

Joe I
January 22, 2013, 10:53 PM
Being a Beretta fan, I've alternated carrying a Titanium Tomcat .32, an 85F .380, and a 92FS Compact 9mm from the beginning. Mainly the 92FS Compact in the winter, in a Crossbreed Supertuck-style rig at 4:00.

FMF Doc
January 22, 2013, 11:00 PM
A handgun is a tool to me. I have different ones for different situations. If I am running out the door, staying close to home, I usually go with my S&W M&P Shield. If I am going to be gone all day and far from home, I'll grab my G19. Where I live is pretty safe. I still carry something because you never know. But when I venture further from my relative safety, I up the fire power. If I am headed out on a road trip, which I am doing more and more these days, I throw the plate carrier and AR-15 in the truck, along with my G19 on my hip. When I head out for some time off in the mountiains, I switch out my 9mm for a .357mag revolver, usually a GP100 with 4" barrel. Right tool for the right situation.

g_one
I'll preface this by saying I'm not the type of person that is very picky. I could have chosen one of fifty different guns and probably been happy with every one of them. Having said that - at the time that I was looking for my CCW, I wanted:
Something big enough that it didn't feel like I was holding a Derringer, but small enough that I could pocket carry in any of the (slightly baggy) jeans that I wear 99% of the year, as well as IWB carry.
Something that used the same caliber bullet as the only other gun I owned at the time - an FNP-9 (9mm)
Something that didn't have a safety.

That moved me directly to the Glock 26, and I couldn't be happier with my decision.
However now, a year and a half later and much more knowledgeable about firearms, would I have gone a different route even though I'm very satisfied with my G26? Yes. I sold my FNP-9 because I never used it anymore - the G26 became not only my EDC gun but also my bedside and vehicle gun. So now that I'm not tied to 9mm - I probably would have gone the way of the 1911 and gotten two - a bobtailed officers model, and a full size gov't model, and never would have felt the need to buy another handgun. As it stands now, I'll probably end up getting a 1911 in .38 Super and reloading that instead, or maybe a Hi-Power.

hak
How long did it take?

I don't like to CCW my Glock19, it's my wife's night time gun, no manual safety with a crimson trace. I've been shooting a DA/SA manual safety type gun for 20 yrs, so it's what I know and love. the P7 is just thin, solid, accurate with a great trigger and the unique grip safety make it near impossible to ND (if plaxico was carrying one of these and not a glock he never would have shot himself, so says me).

IWB: HK P30s in .40 s&w in condition one, in a crossbreed supertuck deluxe in horse-hide holster with tact-thumb cut

http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/74802.jpg
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Portals/0/Images/400_st-fsb_1.png

OWB: HK P30s in .40 s&w in condition one, with TLR weaponlight mounted in a Raven Concealment Kydex holster
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0sHy--VQdwsqzr7uGT0baNoo30l23wfnhfDcqPJ5izxh_3pH6XP2SUG4u
((this shows a glock in the RCS but you get the idea))
http://www.ravenconcealment.com/image/cache/data/OWBLoops1260-500x500-500x500.jpg

Under the shoulder: HK P30s with or without weaponlight in a 5.11 shirt (the neoprene one)
http://www.rangemastertacticalgear.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Range-Master-Tactical-Gear-5.11-Tactical-Holster-V-Neck-Shirt.png

Pocket: HK P7 in 9mm

http://handguns.g00net.org/HK/HK-P7-a.jpg

chris in va
January 22, 2013, 11:01 PM
I think it's safe to say most permit holders spend years searching for The One. I've certainly gone through a few the past ten years.

Ironically my favorite, a CZ P01, was something I tried out eight years ago and passed on. CZ made a mag baseplate change that made all the difference. Go figure.

FMF Doc
January 22, 2013, 11:06 PM
[_3pH6XP2SUG4u[/img]
((this shows a glock in the RCS but you get the idea))
http://www.ravenconcealment.com/image/cache/data/OWBLoops1260-500x500-500x500.jpg

One of the best holsters out there. I can easily conceal my G19 under just a regular t-shirt, with no difficulty, and I am only 5'7 and and athletic 165lbs. I don't know what kind of black magic they use...but I approve!

hak
January 22, 2013, 11:39 PM
FMFdoc:

agreed. Great countours and bombproof. I have an RCS for OWB carry for all of them:

HK p30s
G19
P7
USP

if they made one for my STI 2011 double stack, i'd have one for it too (I went with Bladetech for that one). RCS: worth the wait and the cost.

For IWB the crossbreed is very comfortable and stable, check them out.

pittspilot
January 23, 2013, 12:16 AM
It varies.

Summer carry is either G19, Ruger Security Six or 442.

Winter Carry is a VBOB.

Sometimes a Hi Power.

RBid
January 23, 2013, 12:19 AM
Rather than emphasize the specific make and model(s) that I landed on, I'd like to talk about the philosophical change that I came to.

When I first started to carry, I went straight to a single stack 9. I assumed that anything bigger than the PF-9 was too big to conceal, so I skipped straight to the flat sub category to start my search. I tried the LC9 and PF-9. I hated each of them.

Eventually, I had an epiphany: those single stack subs are simply harder to be effective with, and less capable than a cut down duty compact. With a little experimentation, I realized that I could carry up to a Glock 19/23 in light clothing.

That changed everything. I no longer own anything smaller than my Ruger SR9c, and I have zero interest in buying any more single stack subs.

I recommend starting big, and easing your way down in size. Carry the biggest pistol that you can carry every day.

breakingcontact
January 23, 2013, 12:42 AM
Several guns and holsters.

Shoot your friends guns, rent range guns if possible.

It will be much cheaper!

O C
January 23, 2013, 12:43 AM
Colt Combat Commander S/S in a Milt Sparks Summer Special. Any 1911 that has all the controls in the same place will do for me. Nothing to "re-learn" been doing this for over 50 years, and it will be the most "Gone To" gun in the next 50 years.

BILLG
January 23, 2013, 01:02 AM
I have carried several 1911s,Beretta 92s,S&W 5906 and full size M&Ps both in 9mm and 45 acp.But I am now carrying a Sig Sauer MK25 P226 and I can tell you that its going to be my EDC for a long while to come.I like full size pistols and don't have a problem concealing them or carrying them.I don't have much use for the compacts or sub compacts.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/1911bg/SigMK25P226001.jpg

kyletx1911
January 23, 2013, 01:54 AM
Only 1911 s

Zardaia
January 23, 2013, 02:12 AM
Started with a sub compact 9 for a couple years. Then a coworker introduced me ro far better carry methods and i upgraded to a full size, G17. Six months or so latter I cought rhe 1911 bug. Year later I decided on G21, extra rounds in a nice big .45 that I can still conceal and shoot well. To me it's a compromise between the former g17 and 1911. Still have the sub compact for when I don't feel like dressing around the brick.

Okiegunner
January 23, 2013, 02:23 AM
This one will be a bit of an oddball for most of you...

My favorite carry pistol is a Beretta 92f (not fs) Centurion. 4.3 inch barrel with a full size slide. 20 round Mec-Gar magazine, currently loaded with "Asym" 124gr, +P, bonded JHP, low-flash/FBI protocol ammo.

I am in agreement with BILLG...I like to carry full size pistols.

tarosean
January 23, 2013, 03:34 AM
This one will be a bit of an oddball for most of you...
20 round Mec-Gar magazine,

:what:
Im guessing thats Open carry?

Ive carried a FS and A1 concealed on occasion. Currently a Type M has been seeing a little more rotation with my LW Commander. However, I would have a hard time concealing that extra length of a 20rd.

I guess I should say I started with a S&W 645, moved to a Star 9mm then stopped carrying for about 10yrs, when I picked it carrying again it was with a full size 1911.. As others stated I prefer full sized pistols or slightly compact versions.

When I received my Type M, my FFL was writing the info down and said that aint no compact. LOL

AFDavis11
January 23, 2013, 03:52 AM
It took me a few years, but the environment can change and you can modify your criteria. I moved from a high crime area to a low crime area and my needs changed.

The only gun that I couldn't adjust to though was an N frame revolver; it printed no matter what I did. Printing was always low on my list of concerns, but it still bugged me.

I haven't had trouble carrying any other gun. You just need to be willing to work on it.

Carry what you can carry safely and can be effective with. Be wary of the man who thinks he can recommend a carry gun or a wife.

JERRY
January 23, 2013, 03:56 AM
im fortunate enough to carry off duty what ever i want....

that said i carry my duty gun (g17) off duty because im comfortable with the platform, it meets all my needs (perceived or real) and if God forbid i have to use it id rather "their"gun sit in evidence than mine.

i do on occasion carry other guns instead of or in addition to the g17, but this is the one im generally with.

1911 guy
January 23, 2013, 04:10 AM
I chose the 1911 due to familiarity and ease of use. Then I just set about finding a way to make it work for me CCW'ing.

Okie45
January 23, 2013, 04:18 AM
I'd say plan on having 2 guns for concealed carry. Have a good, reliable, pocket gun such as a LCP or S&W 642, and have a good belt gun such as a Glock 19, XDM 45 compact, etc... Caliber and weapon is a very personal choice and the area you live in can sway your opinions. I used to be happy with a 7shot 1911, but with more gangs around where I live, I usually carry a 9+1 45 or a 13+1 9mm.
I usually use the pocket pistol for trips to the mail box, taking out trash, going on a 1st date(they say to use protection), etc...and don't feel like holstering up.
Biggest lesson I learned was to buy a good belt and good holster, and you can conceal most handguns with ease.

Bobson
January 23, 2013, 04:43 AM
Second try here. First was a Springfield XD Service in .40. I liked it, and wanted to like it even more, but I shot it very poorly (realized later it was likely my fault, not the gun). At any rate, I ended up selling it and buying a Glock 19 a while later. I shoot it very well - significantly better than any other pistol I've ever fired. Its been my EDC for close to a year now, and while I really like it, I'm either going to need to change my wardrobe this summer, or buy a LCR for pocket carry during Arizona's blistering summer heat.

VINTAGE-SLOTCARS
January 23, 2013, 05:15 AM
First in 1973 was a Ruger 45 colt 4 5/8"
2nd was a custom 1911
3rd was h&k p7 (1980's bottom mag release)
4th is now a Sig p220 2 two tone.

ku4hx
January 23, 2013, 05:25 AM
How long? I got my first handgun in 1967 so when I got my first license a few years after that it was a matter of which one; not how long. I've never obsessed over a carry piece. Just used whichever one was most appropriate for the season, clothing, holsters at the time, what struck my fancy and etc.

Inebriated
January 23, 2013, 05:52 AM
Glock 19, 21, 26 (depending on dress). All Gen 4. Also going to be adding a 32, 29, or 30 to that list. They're all on my list to own, so it's just going to be a 'which one first' type of thing. Now that I reload, the options really open up for me, because now I can afford to shoot the .45's, 10's, and .357 sig's.

ryno31
January 23, 2013, 06:43 AM
SA XDs .45, it's a .45 the same size as most pocket 9mm's and melts away under my wardrobe with a Galco iwb holster. Holds 5+1 and a very manageable recoil...actually it felt better recoil wise than the small Keltec 9mm I shot. Small gun+big bullet doesn't make it the most enjoyable to shoot but it wasn't designed to be a range shooter.

Pilot
January 23, 2013, 07:11 AM
Depending on dress a Beretta M85FS, CZ-75D PCR or HK P7.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Gone/Beretta_85FS_Lt1.jpg

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/Black04V/P1000395.jpg

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu27/tx_oil/Picture061-1.jpg

JRWhit
January 23, 2013, 07:47 AM
I don't think there is a one to be had. Depending on your dress, a larger side carry may be desired,or in lighter dress a smaller frame pistol with a pocket liner holster may be needed for proper concealment. I like the Ruger LCP 380,similar to Kel-Tec p3at, for when I'm in nicer dress as it fits well in either my back pocket or inside my light dress jacket inner pocket. When I'm in thicker clothing I prefer inside the waist mid frame sr9c in a cross bread holster. Mid frames fit me very comfortably with ease of concealment,but that is subject to body size.
I am comfortable with both of these guns and shoot well with them but you'll need to do a search for you'r own preference in what your comfortable with and can shoot with. Whatever you are already familiar and comfortable shooting with will be your best option. From LCPs to full frames, and LCRs to Larger frame revolvers," not to large", there is a huge market of holsters for nearly every design that makes carrying them very comfortable and easily concealed. But like I say depending on dress I think you'll want two in the end for different dress options. If you have a good local police and tactical store a lot of them, or at least the one I'm familiar with, will let you bring in your handgun and test fit different holsters.

bannockburn
January 23, 2013, 08:01 AM
I started out mainly carrying revolvers, like a Charter Arms Undercover and various S&W J frames. Finally fixed on a S&W Model 49, and have been using some sort of variant of that design (Model 649 and Model 638), for a number of years now.

To keep this autoloader related I also began carrying a Colt Mustang and liked it so much I bought a SIG P-238 to supplement it in the rotation, along with a KelTec P3AT, from time to time.

GBExpat
January 23, 2013, 08:30 AM
I acquired my first Virginia CCW in 1976. I pretty quickly settled-in to carrying a Walther PPKs for almost-everyday-use. From then until Aug'07 a Walther PPK/s then PP then PPK was my standard Go To Gun for concealed carry.

Since Aug'07 my GTG has been a KelTec PF9. It "lives" in the right rear pocket of my 501s in a DeSantis Nemesis holster (yes, the grip protrudes).

herkyguy
January 23, 2013, 12:49 PM
Started with a G23 in Galco IWB. too bulky.

Went to LCP IWB. Not fun or accurate in my hands. dumped it.

Went with XDsc 9mm IWB w/ crossbreed supertuck. good rig, but heavy.

Then on to a SP101 IWB w/crossbreed supertuck. good rig, but also heavy.

went back and forth between those two for some time.

Now carrying a P238 OWB and a XDs OWB, both with factory holsters.

Two OWB holsters on order from Crossbreed to spread out the weight a bit more and bring the guns in a bit tighter to my torso. I still have the supertucks for the SP101 (which is now next to the bed) and the XDsc (which sits in a pistol safe in the living room....just in case someone interupts me and the lady watching television late at night)

on a sidenote, i have carried a 6" GP100 concealed with ease via the Galco shoulder rig and a big jacket. last week, i rocked my New Single Six with 22WMR to Wallyworld after a day in the woods. I did that OWB crossdraw style with the same big jacket on.

possibilities are endless.

tomrkba
January 23, 2013, 12:58 PM
herkyguy's post brings up another point: you will spend quite a bit of time finding the optimal holster, belt, and ammo holder combination. This will result in a large "discard" bin and several good rigs for different purposes. My only advice here is to consider how much forward cant is required to offset the length of the gun's grip, have IWB and OWB holsters available for each gun, and ALWAYS buy quality gear.

Dynasty
January 23, 2013, 02:40 PM
I'm surprised by the amount of revolvers members carry. I figured most would be compact polymer guns.

tomrkba
January 23, 2013, 04:08 PM
I'm surprised by the amount of revolvers members carry. I figured most would be compact polymer guns.

Some people even prefer S&W N-frames when they carry a revolver...none of these wimpy little J-Frames with 38 powder-puff loads! I prefer 44 Special powder-puff loads.

This thread needs pictures.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb425/tomrkba/firearms/revolvers/Smith%20Model%2024/photo-20.jpg

Teachu2
January 23, 2013, 04:21 PM
Started in 1979 with a 6" Model 28 .357 N-frame. Over the years, I've carried a M66 2.5", a couple of 1911s, a PPK/S, and a .38 Airweight. Last year, I switched to a Glock 30, and have added a G26 and a G36 to the rotation.

ku4hx
January 23, 2013, 04:33 PM
I sometimes carry my 4" model 629 and then later lay it right next to my wired telephone (separate coil wire receiver) on my bedside table. No real need to worry too much about which ammunition is best. But when loaded with full house 44 Magnum, it's recoil gets a bit "snappy" after 50-60 rounds.

There are still a huge number of us revolver aficionados out there. You just have to go to the revolver forums to find us usually.

tomrkba: Thanks for the pic; that is THE definition of a sexy gun to me. No polymer "wonder gun" will ever match it.

Stevie-Ray
January 23, 2013, 07:10 PM
I started with what I thought was the best CW available, the HKUSP45C, and carried it for maybe a year. Underwhelming. Then I fell back on my favorite weapon the 1911, and bought a 3" version. About 10 years now and I'll doubtless never change again.

mrnic3guy1989
January 23, 2013, 09:07 PM
I started out with a G32 then to a G19 but I inevitably went to the G21.

TOADMAN
January 23, 2013, 09:19 PM
S&W 642 mostly... Glock 26 sometimes....

wvshooter
January 23, 2013, 09:28 PM
Like a few others I've carried a bunch of different handguns. The one I've carried the most is a Smith Wesson Sigma in 40 caliber. Lightweight, ergonomic, high capacity, and utterly reliable.

izhevsk
January 23, 2013, 09:34 PM
Smith and Wesson M&P9, then a Keltec PF9, now a Glock 27.

WRGADog
January 23, 2013, 10:20 PM
My go to guns are Beretta Nano, PM9, P380, or PPS, Solo.

GLI45
January 23, 2013, 11:03 PM
I was lucky in that my first selection of a CCW pistol worked for me and I've carried it for several years. I opted to stay with a brand I had experience with, STI, and opted for their Guardian in 9mm. It's a single stack 1911 with a 3.9" barrel on an officer frame. Last year I added the commander size STI Ranger in .45 ACP and rotate it with the Guardian. Either fits in my Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe IWB or in my TTLeather custom OWB holster made for a 4" 1911. Both pistols are very reliable and accurate, but I've come to expect that from the boys at STI.

U-235
January 23, 2013, 11:18 PM
Usually a S&W 642, if not that then a Glock 23.

Dave P.
January 23, 2013, 11:52 PM
Had the permit about 8 years now.
Always been a Glock 36 iwb, about 3 years ago got a Ruger LCP.
Sometimes clothing causes me to carry it instead of the Glock,
it's usually also iwb but sometimes it goes in a pocket.
Dave

Derry 1946
January 23, 2013, 11:55 PM
Started with a 642, until I found a DS. I prefer the ergonomics of the DS, and the extra round. The 642 is more weather-resistant (and I care less about wear and tear on it). The 642 is significantly lighter, which is nice, and very compact, thus conceals well. It's got a pretty snappy recoil. So I carry the DS unless I'll be out in the rain. If I'm going somewhere a bit less safe, I carry a S&W 1917 .45. This is concealable if you are wearing a coat. For maximum defense, I carry a Govt 1911 in .45 ACP. I'm just more comfortable with a revolver, and after a bit of trying this and that (Model 10, various hand ejectors) I settled on the DS. Though I am tempted to try a small automatic (PPK?), I'm not eager to add new calibers or spend needlessly. Your LGS may let you handle or even shoot a wide variety of contenders. Good luck in your search.

Deus Machina
January 24, 2013, 08:10 AM
Carried a S&W 469 for maybe a year. Great gun, loved it, but it was one of the batch in the 'wonder-nine boom' and the grip was too thick for my hands to shoot accurately. Belly gun only--or at least that's where I'd hit whatever I was shooting at.

Sold it and a a Henry .22 in favor of my CZ 75 PCR three or four years ago now, fell in love, and it's on me whenever I can carry a holster.

When I need to be able to leave it in the car, I just drop my 2.5" Taurus M85 in my pocket. Aside from needing a new firing pin return spring, it's never failed me.

farm23
January 24, 2013, 10:59 AM
I have a number to select from. When I go to town I carry an old but reliable Star PD in 45 and a NAA Black Widow in 22mag. In the woods and around the farm a 3" SW 629 in 44mag and the BW.

Jesse 8
January 24, 2013, 11:13 AM
Glock 30sf with extras

Rembrandt
January 24, 2013, 06:27 PM
Have been carrying for about 12 years....use to rotate between a 9mm BHP and S&W model 60 .357. That has now changed to a Boberg 9mm.....much more compact and concealable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Firearms/002-1.jpg

pinehtr
January 24, 2013, 08:20 PM
I have two ,CM9 and Glock 26.

WoodchuckAssassin
January 24, 2013, 08:46 PM
Right now it's a full size 1911, but I am looking into a Rock Island Armory Compact 1911.

In short, I do/will carry a 1911. I used to carry a SR9c which was very nice...but traded it in for a 1911 :D

montanaoffroader
January 24, 2013, 09:20 PM
Started with a Colt SAA 5.5" in .357 Magnum, it was the only handgun I owned at the time. Since the early 90's it's been a Russian Makarov in 9x18, I have put several hundred rounds through it without a single failure of any kind.

My next is going to be a Kel-Tec PF9, just picked it up so now I have to break it in and see if I can trust it. The Mak is going to be a hard act to follow......

radar1972
January 24, 2013, 09:42 PM
I rotate between the S&W Bodyguard 380 and a S&W j-frame.

BlackSky
January 25, 2013, 01:25 AM
+1 for N frame carry. This 624 with 200 grain Gold Dots in a Lobo holster and a good belt carries remarkably well.

http://imageshack.us/a/img72/8407/dsc067222.jpg

harrygunner
January 25, 2013, 01:30 AM
Started out with a Sig P229. Great carry gun and if I had stayed with it, all would be good. But the 1911 trigger and thinness won and I moved to that single platform for my primary carry.

Commander length 1911 in 10mm.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/harrygunner/10mm/10mm_commander_carry2.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/harrygunner/10mm/10mm_commander_bottom.jpg

Second rig is a Government length 1911 in .45 ACP.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/harrygunner/one%20asterisk/1asterisk6.jpg

EBK
January 25, 2013, 03:01 AM
This thread needs pictures.

OK

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29/Eklypse13/IMG_2161.jpg

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29/Eklypse13/IMG_2158.jpg

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29/Eklypse13/IMG_2157.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Your Concealed Carry Gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!