Anyone get replies from the Ruger mass emailing?

PDA

Cesiumsponge
January 22, 2013, 08:39 PM
After reading the Ruger will contact your reps. for you (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=695571) thread started on January 13th, I went ahead and hammered off to my local, state, and federal critters that day.

Has anyone gotten a response yet? I just got a reply from both my Senators and governor. I got them today, 9 days later. They all came within several hours of one another which is very suspicious.

Received 11:19 AM
Thank you for contacting Governor Chris Gregoire. Your inquiry and comments are being addressed by the Governor's staff and/or the appropriate state agency.

The Governor appreciates each and every one of the thousands of contacts she has received from people all across the state over the last few months. The issues, comments and concerns from each of you are important to her as we face these difficult times.

Again, thank you for contacting the Governor.

THIS MAILBOX IS NOT MONITORED, PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.

Received 2:29 PM
Dear Mr. Sponge
Thank you for contacting my office. Your thoughtful comments are greatly appreciated.
The views of Washingtonians are very important to my work. I will keep your thoughts in mind, and I encourage you to stay in touch. If you would like to know more about my work in the Senate, please feel free to sign up for my weekly updates at http://murray.senate.gov/updates. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,
Patty Murray
United States Senator

Received 3:42 PM
Dear Mr. Sponge,
Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

All Washingtonians – and all Americans – offer our deepest condolences to the families of the 20 children and six school staff members who were killed in this senseless attack. Our thoughts and prayers are with the community of Newtown, as its residents heal from this incomprehensible tragedy.

This horrific attack highlights several issues that must be addressed promptly in order to better protect against such inexplicable violence. We need to get powerful assault weapons off our streets. And we need to strengthen services for the mentally ill and their families.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.
On January 16, 2012, President Obama announced a series of legislative proposals and executive actions. I applaud the President's efforts to close gun purchase loopholes, and to create new tools for further background checks.
Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

The (now ex) governor doesn't even address my name or have a sign-off. It isn't even a particularly mediocre boilerplate letter. Patty Murray did not reply to a previous email I sent after Sandy Hook. Senator Cantwell responded to the last email I sent. So did Adam Smith, but he has not replied yet. I'm going to run through the Ruger mass emailer again because we have a new governor. Anyone have reps send them a boilerplate letter or did most not even bother?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone get replies from the Ruger mass emailing?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
berettaprofessor
January 22, 2013, 08:48 PM
I've gotten no replies. None.

Cast of One
January 22, 2013, 08:54 PM
I got a form letter from Senator Kay Hagan to thank me for contacting her office and promising to send a more detailed letter later on. We will see.

CLP
January 22, 2013, 08:56 PM
neither have i. i received one generic reply from Spencer Bacchus in AL from snail mail letters sent out (pro 2A, or at least he claims to be--- we'll see, i'll be watching)

DAP90
January 22, 2013, 08:58 PM
I did. They’re nothing to get excited about as these are clearly form letters sent out in response to receiving an email; they don’t even address any topics. Hopefully they didn't write a specific response because they are so inundated with pro-gun letters they simply can't get to them all.

Dear Friend:
Thank you for your e-mail message. Keeping in touch with Coloradans is important to me. Due to the high volume of messages my office receives on a daily basis, I ask for your patience as I work with my staff to respond to your concerns.
I want to hear your thoughts on the issues that are important to you. The best ideas come from people in Colorado, not from politicians in Washington. That's why it's so important for me to hear your thoughts on how we can build a better future for Colorado and our country, together.
While we work to respond to your request, I invite you to read blog updates http://bennet.senate.gov/about/updates/, check out the latest news from your region of Colorado http://bennet.senate.gov/, and subscribe to an e-mail newsletter that will provide you with regular updates on my work on behalf of Colorado http://bennet.senate.gov/contact/. If you want to know more about issues and specific bills before the Senate, please visit our issue pages. If you're having trouble with a federal agency, visit the constituent services section http://bennet.senate.gov/services/. Scheduling requests may be e-mailed to scheduler@bennet.senate.gov or sent by fax to 202-228-4083.
Thank you for contacting me.
Please do not reply to this message. If you would like to send a message to Senator Bennet, please submit a form at http://bennet.senate.gov/contact. Thank you.

January 17, 2013
Thank you for your message to my U.S. Senate office. Each week, I receive over 10,000 letters from Coloradans with their thoughts and suggestions. Your views are invaluable and keep me consistently updated on Coloradans’ concerns. Please know that we read each letter and email and will do our utmost to get you a timely response addressing your thoughts and concerns.

I am honored to serve as your U.S. Senator. My top priority in the Senate is to provide efficient and effective representation of people across our state. Please know that my Colorado staff is available to handle specific services relating to the federal government (such as help with a passport, claim for veterans’ benefits or a citizenship matter) and my Denver office can be reached at 303-650-7820. If you would like to check on a request for services from my Washington, D.C. office, please call 202-224-5941 or toll-free at 877-7-MUDALL (877-768-3255). Otherwise, be assured that we are reading your comments.

Warm regards,
Mark Udall
U.S. Senator, Colorado

They do included phone numbers though. Maybe I'll call and talk to an official flunky.

gilfo
January 22, 2013, 09:01 PM
I got replies from both my Fla senators and my congressman. You can look up my ongoing replies to and from Sen. Nelson on this forum.

thunder173
January 22, 2013, 09:01 PM
Yes, Congressman Dan Benishek from Upper Michigan,...supporting 2A,...opposing any proposal to infringe on 2A an all Obamma EO's on same.

johnc486
January 22, 2013, 09:25 PM
I got a reply from my Senator and Governor, not real positive but a reply none the less. (Georgia)

tyler500e
January 22, 2013, 09:42 PM
I received 2 replies today but both were generic replies stating only that they are receiving massive amounts of email and they will not be able to address my concerns for an undetermined amount of time.

Houser52
January 22, 2013, 10:06 PM
Zero

Hunter125
January 22, 2013, 10:15 PM
Same here, got an auto response from two reps within an hour days after filling out the form on Ruger's website. I was guessing Ruger's system was overloaded and they just went through today.

DAP90
January 22, 2013, 10:19 PM
Responses or not as of right now 674,555 people have used that email to contact their reps. That's a heck of a number.

Cesiumsponge
January 22, 2013, 10:35 PM
Responses or not as of right now 674,555 people have used that email to contact their reps. That's a heck of a number.

Is that how many times it was used? Or how many unique individuals have used it? I'm sure some folks have used it multiple times. It would be a lot better if we could add an extra zero on the end and make it 6+ million people.

heeler
January 22, 2013, 10:49 PM
Not a thing.
But then again I live right in the middle of the contrived Congressional District 29,which is overwhelmingly Hispanic with a large number of that population illegal aliens,and as no surprise Democratic party loyalists.
I doubt very seriously I will hear from them.
They dont need me.

DAP90
January 22, 2013, 11:28 PM
Is that how many times it was used? Or how many unique individuals have used it?

It says people but is probably uses. I can live with it either way. I got a few people to use that who wouldn't have otherwise bothered to send anything. Ruger deserves kudos for that alone.

BCCL
January 22, 2013, 11:37 PM
I got this one from Lt. Gov. Sheila Simon..........I feel so honored. :)

Thank you for contacting the Office of Lt. Governor Sheila Simon. Your message is important to us. We will respond soon.

In the meantime, you may access our Frequently Asked Questions page for a guide to government services or subscribe to our newsletter for monthly updates.

Sincerely,
Delio A. Calzolari
Senior Advisor and Director of Public Engagement
Office of the Lieutenant Governor, Sheila Simon
401 S. Spring St.
Stratton 414
Springfield, Illinois 62704

zxcvbob
January 22, 2013, 11:43 PM
I sent emails to my senators and US representative a couple of weeks ago using their web forms, then did the Ruger thing last week.

I haven't received anything from any of them. :mad:

izhevsk
January 22, 2013, 11:52 PM
I received two boilerplate replies from Udall and Bennet today.

Senator Bennet:

"Dear Friend:

Thank you for your e-mail message. Keeping in touch with Coloradans is important to me. Due to the high volume of messages my office receives on a daily basis, I ask for your patience as I work with my staff to respond to your concerns.

I want to hear your thoughts on the issues that are important to you. The best ideas come from people in Colorado, not from politicians in Washington. That's why it's so important for me to hear your thoughts on how we can build a better future for Colorado and our country, together.

While we work to respond to your request, I invite you to read blog updates http://bennet.senate.gov/about/updates/, check out the latest news from your region of Colorado http://bennet.senate.gov/, and subscribe to an e-mail newsletter that will provide you with regular updates on my work on behalf of Colorado http://bennet.senate.gov/contact/. If you want to know more about issues and specific bills before the Senate, please visit our issue pages. If you're having trouble with a federal agency, visit the constituent services section http://bennet.senate.gov/services/. Scheduling requests may be e-mailed to scheduler@bennet.senate.gov or sent by fax to 202-228-4083.

Thank you for contacting me."

Udall:

"Thank you for your message to my U.S. Senate office. Each week, I receive over 10,000 letters from Coloradans with their thoughts and suggestions. Your views are invaluable and keep me consistently updated on Coloradans’ concerns. Please know that we read each letter and email and will do our utmost to get you a timely response addressing your thoughts and concerns.

I am honored to serve as your U.S. Senator. My top priority in the Senate is to provide efficient and effective representation of people across our state. Please know that my Colorado staff is available to handle specific services relating to the federal government (such as help with a passport, claim for veterans’ benefits or a citizenship matter) and my Denver office can be reached at 303-650-7820. If you would like to check on a request for services from my Washington, D.C. office, please call 202-224-5941 or toll-free at 877-7-MUDALL (877-768-3255). Otherwise, be assured that we are reading your comments.

Warm regards,"

Also, I wrote an email to Congressman Gardner a few weeks back, and received the following reply:

"Dear Mr.,

It is with the utmost sorrow and dismay that I respond to you today regarding the tragic events which took place in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me and it remains my honor to represent you in Congress.

On Friday, December 14th, an unimaginable event took place when a soulless monster walked into Sandy Hook Elementary School and proceeded to take the lives of twenty-six people. Twenty of the victims were young children no older than 7 years old. Were it not for the heroic actions of teachers inside the building and first responders, there is no doubt that many more would have been lost.

As a father of an 8 and 1 year old, my heart aches for the victims' parents, families, and friends. My prayers go out to the entire Newtown community for the incredible loss they have suffered and I know that our entire nation shares in their grief. No words will undue the loss of life or innocence shattered.

In light of this tragedy, I understand that many will want to have a conversation about gun control. While I am always open to the discussion and evaluation of current laws and policies at the state and federal level, I believe it is important that we are making the best decisions possible to promote the safety of our citizens, while also protecting our rights. In my mind, this event is yet another reminder that we need to ensure our mental health services have the appropriate resources at their disposal to identify individuals capable of such an act. I do not believe gun control is the answer. Moreover, it is critical that our mental health facilities are working in cooperation with our law enforcement agencies to prevent future atrocities from happening.

We must never forget those lost in this terrible tragedy. Again, thank you for contacting me, and do not hesitate to do so again when an issue is important to you.

Sincerely,"

Westfair
January 23, 2013, 03:43 AM
I just received the exact same replies to my Ruger emails today, Cesiumsponge. Seems Maria Cantwell updated her response since her previous reply to my other letters.

I honestly have little hope for us here in WA, but I'll keep letting them know I don't agree with their ideology.

Stugots
January 23, 2013, 07:45 AM
Here's my one reply thus far...

"Thank you for contacting Governor Peter Shumlin, your message has been received."

Pretty deep stuff, seems like a lot of thought involved.

hk-sigman
January 23, 2013, 08:00 AM
I got the form letter reply from both of my Reps and the Senator. Typical "I support the 2nd amendment BUT"....... blah blah blah..

foghornl
January 23, 2013, 08:08 AM
I have gotten 2, one from Sherrod Brown, US Senator, and one from my new US Rep that filled the seat of retiring Steve LaTourette.

Brown's was the canned "Thanks for contacting me"

Adam the Gnome
January 23, 2013, 08:20 AM
I got nothing back from Manchin or Rockefeller. Only Ruger :(

Hunter125
January 23, 2013, 10:20 AM
I just got this from Senator Richard Durbin

Thank you for contacting me about gun control measures in light of the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you.

I share with all Americans a profound sense of sorrow at the senseless act of violence committed at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The nation mourns this event and many Americans wonder what can be done to prevent this type of tragedy in the future.

I am an original cosponsor of the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act, which would reinstate a ban on magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The ban on multi-round magazines expired along with the federal assault weapons ban in 2004.

The majority of Americans and the majority of thoughtful gun owners and hunters agree that there must be reasonable limits on gun ownership and weapons. We must institute common-sense limits, such as barring those with a history of mental instability, those with a history of violent crime or who are subject to restraining orders, and those whose names have been placed on a terrorist watch list from owning weapons. “Straw” purchasers and gun dealers should face firm penalties. There should be limits on how many firearms may be purchased in one month. Those who own firearms that are within the reach of children should have protective locks on their weapons.

The United States Supreme Court has raised questions about the Second Amendment and the protections and responsibilities under this Constitutional amendment. I plan to hold a Senate Judiciary Hearing in the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Human Rights Subcommittee to address this Constitutional question and how to forward on gun control.

My heart and prayers go out to the victims and their families in Newtown, Connecticut, as we remember the children and teachers who lost their lives.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to keep in touch.

Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

So much for voting for your constituents.

herkyguy
January 23, 2013, 11:53 AM
Got two from NC governor yesterday.

HarcyPervin
January 23, 2013, 12:12 PM
Couple auto-replies. Neither even mentioned the gun issue

CApighunter
January 23, 2013, 12:16 PM
I just got one generic "thanks for your opinion" from one of my representatives.
CApighunter

trailgator
January 23, 2013, 02:06 PM
I got 2 today. A generic one from my U.S. Rep, and a topic specific one from Senator Blunt.

mtrmn
January 23, 2013, 04:57 PM
I got responses the next day from a senator and a rep in Louisiana.

boatmanschneider
January 23, 2013, 04:59 PM
No replies in SW Michigan

wooly bugger
January 23, 2013, 05:12 PM
Not a peep. I've gotten only one reply from my many emails to my local legislators.

Silent Bob
January 23, 2013, 05:23 PM
I did the Ruger maiing and have e-mailed Reid, Boehner, McConnell, both my senators (Cruz and Cornyn), house rep (Hall), state rep (Phillips), senator from state of former residence (Coburn), some of these guys multiples times in the past month and a half.

Have not heard back from any of them.

c4v3man
January 23, 2013, 05:32 PM
Submitted via ruger this morning, got this reply back today.
Dear Mr. *********:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding gun control and your thoughts on the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

One struggles to find the words to adequately address the unimaginable horror of the tragedies that took place in the communities of Newtown, Aurora, Tuscon, Blacksburg, and Columbine. Nevada's deepest sympathies, thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. Such senseless violence, perpetuated by individuals bereft of any respect for human life, can only be described as evil. Their actions leave us shaken and searching for answers.

In the search for answers, the temptation is to do something, anything, to prevent such evil from ever happening again. That is a natural response. Unfortunately, powerful emotions are not always the best foundation for sound policies.

Americans are citizens, not subjects. Our government derives its power from the consent of the people. Our liberties, including the right to bear arms, pre-exist the founding of our government, and the people did not give up their individual rights when they consented to its creation. Nor are there any provisions in our founding documents to deprive the people of these freedoms when certain individuals abuse theirs.

Every night, millions of law-abiding, gun-owning American citizens go sleep without harming others, their families, or themselves. Quite the contrary, in numerous instances, citizens exercise their right to utilize firearms to protect their lives and property.

Moreover, many of the policy prescriptions advocated for in the traumatic aftermath of these shootings would not have prevented the atrocities from happening. If Congress is to act, I believe it should focus its energy on measures that would actually make our communities safer, rather than to satisfy emotional desires or political agendas.

Common-sense safeguards on gun ownership should not arbitrarily and unnecessarily infringe on the rights of responsible, law-abiding citizens. Congress should take steps to keep firearms out of the hands of mentally-disturbed individuals and criminals. Furthermore, Congress and civil society need to come to terms with how we can help families struggling with the challenges of mental illness.

Regarding the issuance of executive orders by President Obama, I believe that a proper checks and balance system is a necessary aspect of government. The President has consistently demonstrated his inefficient leadership ability and fails to understand the basic Constitutional rights guaranteed to every American.

I will not support proposals that apply a hyperbolic assault weapon label to commonplace semi-automatic shotguns used for skeet and other shotgun sports, bird hunting, and home protection, and semi-automatic rifles used primarily for marksmanship competitions and to train for national defense purposes. A law that bans a gun on the basis of the shape of its grip, or because its stock is adjustable, and that limits the number of rounds of ammunition a law-abiding citizen may have in a gun for self-defense, strikes me as arbitrary and more likely to adversely affect law-abiding citizens than it does criminals. Along with the right to keep and bear arms comes the responsibility to use them properly. Millions of law-abiding citizens understand this responsibility. To reduce criminal activity and thus enhance the safety and security of our communities we must enforce existing laws.

As our nation continues to grieve, I pray that we honor the victims with an honest discussion of how best to truly prevent such violence and that we arrive at concrete solutions that respect our civil liberties.

I appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to apprise me of your opinions and hope that you will contact me again should you have any further comments or concerns. If you would like additional information on my activities in the House, please visit my website, www.Amodei.house.gov or connect with me on facebook.com/MarkAmodeiNV2 and twitter.com/MarkAmodeiNV2.

In closing, please know that I consider it a privilege to serve and represent you and your family in Congress.

Sincerely,

Mark E. Amodei
Member of Congress

MEA/cc

longknife12
January 23, 2013, 05:47 PM
NADA....course, I'm blesseed with DeGette..
Dan
:mad:

22-rimfire
January 23, 2013, 05:52 PM
I got an email from my one Senator today.

radiotom
January 23, 2013, 05:58 PM
Dear Thomas,

Thank you for contacting me about the tragic and senseless violence in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and concerns with me.

If there is anything that deeply unites Americans across the country it is our love for our children and grandchildren and our desire to keep them safe. In the wake of the heartbreaking tragedy at Sandy Hook elementary, all of us must come together to determine what steps can be taken to protect our children. That means discussing how we can strengthen our gun laws to help stop attacks like this from happening again, while protecting responsible gun ownership and preserving our hunting heritage. It also means strengthening mental health services, and focusing on the broader culture of violence in the media and our society. These solutions may not be easy, but one thing should be clear – complacency and inaction until the next attack must not be an option.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.
Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator

donkee
January 23, 2013, 06:06 PM
I got a generic response.

messerist
January 23, 2013, 06:15 PM
I've not recieved any replies to both the Ruger generated letters and my own personal e-mails sent before I sent a letter via Ruger. I do not expect a answer from any of my elected representative. They are all in lock-step with the current grabbers.:banghead:

GlowinPontiac
January 23, 2013, 06:20 PM
Not a single response through the Ruger emails or emails sent direct.

Sent from my C5120 using Tapatalk 2

gspn
January 23, 2013, 06:55 PM
I got a good response today from TN 8th District Congressman. It's as generic as the letter Ruger sent him on my behalf but it's firmly in support of the Second Amendment.

I was happy to get it.

eddiegun
January 23, 2013, 08:19 PM
Here in Indiana I received one email reply from Senator Sue Landske stating she will support nothing that goes against the 2nd Amendment.

I have to say it made me feel pretty good to receive that reply.
Thank you Senator and thank you Ruger.

a-sheepdog
January 23, 2013, 08:22 PM
Received a reply from my representative a couple days ago.

spm
January 23, 2013, 09:24 PM
I received auto replies from two of my representatives and then actual emails from them addressed to me. Probably written by an aid, but no matter. They did see them. Have not received anything from the Gov yet.

LSMS
January 23, 2013, 09:55 PM
This is what I got back from Roy Blunt.

Thank you for contacting me regarding the rights of gun owners.
As you may know, I am a strong defender of our Second Amendment rights. The right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms is an individual right guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the Constitution and broadly interpreted by the U.S. Supreme Court. Our Founders clearly understood that one of the most basic rights of Americans is the ability to defend themselves and their families.

In light of the terrible tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, there have been calls for immediate action to address gun control. I do believe it is important that we have a serious national discussion about preventing these senseless acts of violence and protecting our children in their schools. Equally important, however, is an effort that more broadly addresses ways to spend federal dollars more wisely when it comes to treating and identifying those who are mentally ill as well as intervening before they tragically impact their own lives and the lives of others.

There are no easy answers here. I continue to believe that a weapons ban does not fix the issue. Whatever we do, it must be consistent with the Constitution.

I appreciate your thoughts and will continue to support legislation that safeguards our Second Amendment rights, encourages safe and responsible gun ownership, and keeps our homes and families safe.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to continuing our conversation on Facebook (www.facebook.com/SenatorBlunt) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RoyBlunt) about the important issues facing Missouri and the country. I also encourage you to visit my website (blunt.senate.gov) to learn more about where I stand on the issues and sign-up for my e-newsletter.

Sincere regards,

Roy Blunt
United States Senator

birdshooter
January 23, 2013, 10:07 PM
I got the same one from Roy Blunt and a generic response from my Rep Sam Graves. He did say he would respond to my concern at a later date.

Tinpig
January 24, 2013, 12:45 AM
Got very nice replies from Sen. John Kerry and Gov. Deval Patrick.

Seems they both greatly appreciated my input and look forward to hearing from me again, so it's pretty clear they didn't read the letters.

Tinpig

Erik M
January 24, 2013, 03:11 AM
no response in KY.

sporty66
January 24, 2013, 03:25 AM
Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding gun control proposals and potential legislation. I appreciate your views on this important issue and welcome the opportunity to respond.

The shooting that occurred in Newtown, Connecticut is a terrible tragedy and, as both a father and grandfather, I cannot fathom the pain and suffering the families of the victims are enduring. I pray that all who have been affected may find comfort and hope in God.

These types of shootings have become too frequent. We must determine what it is about our culture and the policies that we have put in place that allow or cause these tragedies to occur. I believe we must come to a solution that reduces violence in our society without infringing on the second amendment rights of law-abiding Americans.

Recently, the president unveiled his set of proposals to address the issue of gun violence. These proposals, developed through a task force led by Vice President Joe Biden, include 23 unilateral executive actions as well as a request for Congressional consideration of a number of far-reaching pieces of gun-control legislation. The legislative proposals include a renewed and expanded gun ban, a limit on magazine size, a ban on certain types of ammunition, and universal background checks.

Please know that I oppose the president's gun-control efforts that will curtail and diminish our Second Amendment rights. I strongly disagree with the president's strategy of circumventing Congress and issuing executive actions to alter gun-control laws. Throughout my career, I have championed our Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. I believe, and the Supreme Court has affirmed, that law-abiding citizens have the right to purchase, posses, and use firearms for legitimate purposes such as self-defense, hunting, and recreation. As a member of the National Rifle Association and a supporter of responsible gun ownership, I believe that federal laws regarding firearms should be in place to protect the rights of private citizens, not restrict them. Rest assured that I will continue to stand up for our Constitutional rights.
Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. If I can be of any further assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me or visit my Web site at http://luetkemeyer.house.gov. I also encourage you to sign up for my weekly newsletter at http://luetkemeyer.house.gov/e-newsletter1 to receive all of the up-to-date information on important issues.

Sincerely,

Blaine Luetkemeyer
United States Representative

BCCL
January 24, 2013, 10:54 AM
Another glorious "non-answer" from Sheila Simon.. (Notice they always make it about hunting)

Thank you for contacting my office. I appreciate your thoughts regarding the Second Amendment rights of all Illinois residents.

Hunting is an important tradition across the state and in my native Southern Illinois, and as a former prosecutor and as Lt. Governor, I am committed to protecting our constitutional rights. But we also need to consider the effects of gun violence. Our efforts should focus on protecting both our constitutional rights and our safety.

My goal is to support measures that both reduce gun violence and protect the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun owners. As firearms legislation moves through the General Assembly, I expect that there will be a robust debate on these issues. I will continue to be involved in discussions that involve the safety of our citizens.

Thank you once again for your thoughts. It is important for me to maintain an active engagement with the public on all matters that affect our state. Please contact my office again at any time.

Sincerely, Sheila Simon

VINTAGE-SLOTCARS
January 24, 2013, 08:54 PM
I got a "form letter", from Senator Boxer (Calif) the letter just said thank you for contacting her office. It did not contain any thing specific to my concerns.

guyfromohio
January 24, 2013, 08:57 PM
Sherrod Brown:

Thank you for sending me your comments. Listening to the views of the people I represent in the U.S. Senate is a critical part of my job. I do my best to provide every Ohioan with a prompt response. If you have an urgent matter, please feel free to call any of my offices in Ohio or Washington, DC.

If you have not done so already, please visit my Senate website (http://brown.senate.gov) for comprehensive information about my work in the Senate, as well as constituent services that my office provides and how to get connected with federal programs.

Or, you may be interested in receiving my e-Newsletters to stay connected with what's happening in Congress of importance to Ohio. Sign up for regular updates on the work I am doing in the Senate, and please select a few issues to get newsletter updates on specific topics as subjects arise. Sign-up here: http://brown.senate.gov/newsletter/landing

greenmtnguy
January 24, 2013, 09:04 PM
I received specific/topical email letters back from both senator and house representative. The Senator (Kelly Ayotte) is an R who may stand up for us. The house Rep (D) (Carol Porter) may or may not go the party line as she has tended to do in the past. Both of them seem to be thinking Universal Background Checks, mental health, and possibly magazine limits. But, we'll have to wait and see. The shooting sports is fairly big in our small state, plus we have Sturm-Ruger and Sig-Sauer as sizable employers in the state. We also had Thompson Center Arms, but after they were bought out by S&W most all of those jobs went to CT - who knows how long they will last there (a very long time, I hope!!)
Our governor, Maggie Hassan (D) is brand new and somewhat of a wildcard -

marksg
January 24, 2013, 09:08 PM
I've gotten 4 responses. 2 from Senator Corker, 1 from Senator Alexander, 1 from Representative DesJarlais. All form e-mails but in support of RKBA.

geim druth
January 24, 2013, 09:35 PM
I received generic e-mails from my representative and my state assemblyman. The longest reply was from my senator.

From Senator Robert Menendez
Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding additional firearms legislation in the wake of the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. Your opinion is very important to me, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you on this critical issue.
As the father of two, this tragedy struck painfully close to my heart and painfully close to the heart of every parent. No parent should ever have to bear the unspeakable pain of losing a child, especially to this type of tragedy. I join with every American in expressing our deep and abiding grief as a nation and our deepest -- most heartfelt -- condolences to the families of the victims.
As your Senator, I strongly defend the rights of citizens to use firearms responsibly for recreational purposes or protection of one's family and home. At the same time, I vigorously support efforts to keep guns out of the hands of individuals that wish to use them against society.
Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. On this, as with any other issue, there are many different views. Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind. I invite you to visit my website (http://menendez.senate.gov) to learn more about how I am standing up for New Jersey families in the United States Senate.

KC&97TA
January 24, 2013, 09:40 PM
I used my "home of record" address... It's were I still vote.

Thank you for submitting your message to my U.S. Senate office. Each week, several thousand Minnesotans send me their thoughts and suggestions on legislation and important issues facing our nation. This impressive volume is a testament to the Minnesotan traditions of grassroots activism and civic participation that distinguish our state. I closely track the concerns that are expressed in your letters and emails, and will answer them as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Al Franken
United States Senator

P.S. To sign up to receive my email updates visit http://franken.senate.gov/

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail me. This is a confirmation that we have received your message. One of the most important parts of my job is listening to what the people of Minnesota have to say to me. I am here in our nation's capital to do the public's business on behalf of the people of our state.

Please continue to visit my website at http://www.klobuchar.senate.gov to follow what I am working on, both in Washington and Minnesota. It is frequently updated with current news and events regarding my work in the U.S. Senate.

Additionally, many constituents ask about tracking the progress of legislation. One useful tool is to regularly check my website. Another resource I recommend is the Library of Congress legislative information website, http://thomas.loc.gov. I hope you find this information helpful.

- Amy

Please do not reply to this email address. The best way to contact me is through my website at http://www.klobuchar.senate.gov. Thank you!

Cesiumsponge
January 25, 2013, 12:59 AM
Update. Got one from Adam Smith. About as anti-gun as it gets. He still hasn't gotten his intern to use spellcheck and correct the "indentify" typo.

January 24, 2013
Dear Sponge,
Thank you for contacting me about gun safety, the President's policy proposals, and potential Congressional action on this issue. I appreciate hearing from you on this important concern.

On Friday, December 14, 2012, twenty children and six school teachers and administrators were killed in a horrific mass shooting at the hands of a mentally ill individual. Unfortunately, this tragedy is not the only one of its kind. This was the third mass shooting including Aurora and Oak Creek in the last year and fifth in the last several years with Virginia Tech and Tucson.

America is facing an epidemic of gun violence. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Vital Statistics System there were 32,000 deaths in 2011 alone involving firearms, with 11,101 homicides. Since 1982, there have been at least 62 documented mass murders using firearms, which only documents incidents in which at least 4 individuals were killed. Still other instances such as the Washington, D.C. beltway sniper attacks in 2002 took the lives of ten people over three weeks occur far too regularly.

Unfortunately, this is not an easy problem to solve. Primarily, I believe we have a cultural problem that needs to be addressed on every level, including through legislation. We must limit access to firearms, especially those that serve no purpose other than to kill. I am a cosponsor of legislation to ban high capacity magazines and clips. I am looking forward to supporting a stronger, more thorough version of the semiautomatic assault weapons ban. In order to purchase a gun legally, I believe everyone should have to clear a background check. This means addressing the gun show loophole and covering any person-to-person transfers of firearms.

We must also comprehensively tackle the way we address mental health in this country, improving the way we indentify and treat the mentally ill. I am personally concerned both by the lack of treatment and the difficulty authorities have in requiring dangerous individuals to receive treatment. In all of the tragic incidents listed above, after the fact, people came forward to make it clear that the individuals who committed the violent acts were known to be disturbed and dangerous long before they carried out their crimes. I believe that law enforcement officers, prosecutors, and judges should be given greater power to, at least temporarily, suspend gun rights to disturbed and dangerous people, to take steps to make sure they receive the treatment they need, and, in extreme cases, to civilly commit them until they receive that treatment.

I understand the difficulty of regulating firearms, and am prepared for the long road ahead. Despite some of the strongest laws in the nation in Connecticut, the guns used in Newtown were purchased legally. There are an estimated 270-300 million guns today in the United States, and approximately 40 percent of homes contain a legally owned firearm. Reducing access and availability of firearms may be one avenue that could reduce violence, and I would support a gun buyback program that has seen success in U.S. cities and internationally, such as the program in Australia.

President Obama offered an initial plan to reduce and prevent gun violence through executive actions. It is now Congress' turn to act to create lasting reforms that keep our communities safe. As part of the House Gun Violence Prevention Task Force, I will work with my colleagues to review the President's plan, as well as other proposals, to put policies in place that protect our children and communities while maintaining the rights granted by the Second Amendment.

Historically, support for new gun laws has gone down over the last 20 years, despite increased acts of mass murder and gun violence. Any changes in federal law will require strong support and action from the American public. As policy makers and a society, we can and must do more to address this issue, and I look forward to working with all interested parties, including my colleagues here in Congress, to enacting positive change and making our communities safer.

Thank you again for contacting me. If I can be of any help to you or your family in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Sincerely,

Adam Smith
Member of Congress

helitack32f1
January 25, 2013, 01:41 AM
From the Ruger system, I only got the same replies you did from Cantwell and Murray. I have to say that it just feels so pointless when you get a response like the one from Cantwell. Clearly her mind is made up and since she is from this worthless liberal state of Washington, she will be voted back in, regardless of what she does.

EBK
January 25, 2013, 03:38 AM
Here is the one I got:

Terry E. Branstad OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR Kim Reynolds

GOVERNOR LT. GOVERNOR

January 24, 2013

Christopher Exxxx

48xx xxxx Street

Marion, IA 52302-4849

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for contacting the Office of Governor Terry E. Branstad about gun laws in Iowa. As an avid outdoorsman and gun owner, Governor Branstad has consistently recognized the rights of citizens identified in the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will continue to do so.

Governor Branstad is committed to ensuring Iowa remains one of the safest states in the nation and understands that any proposed legislation that relates to this important issue must be evaluated carefully.

Governor Branstad will continue to work with law enforcement officials on safety issues, and will closely monitor any legislation that impacts the 2nd Amendment rights of the United States Constitution.

Thank you again for contacting our office. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact us at 515-281-5211.

Sincerely,

Office of the Governor

Ted Stopulos, Policy Advisor

Adam the Gnome
January 25, 2013, 06:13 AM
I got a generic email from Earl Ray saying he had only the prosperous growth of West Virginia in mind. Who knows what that is..

dragon813gt
January 25, 2013, 06:20 AM
Got a generic email from Senator Pat Toomey:
Thank you for contacting my office. I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts about current issues. Please be assured that constituent correspondence will receive a reply in the near future.

And got a generic form letter that says absolutely nothing and is full of double talk from Congressman Jim Gerlach:
Dear Mr. Dragon Jr.:

Thank you for your contacting me regarding your thoughts on gun control. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, in the aftermath of the school shootings in Newtown, CT, Vice President Joe Biden was charged with leading a task force including members of advocacy groups, teachers, elected officials, and sports and wildlife conservationists to prepare recommendations for President Obama on how to reduce gun violence. On January 16th, President Obama unveiled this broad package of measures that range from legislative proposals to ban assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips to Executive Orders to improve incentives for states to contribute records to federal background check systems established under existing law. I look forward to the President bringing these plans to Congress where I hope to have an open and honest discussion with my House colleagues and constituents about how to protect the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens while, at the same time, preventing those who lack the ability and competency to responsibly use firearms from obtaining and using them to harm innocent victims.

Let me make it explicitly clear that my policy positions and votes on legislation are driven and determined by what I believe will be in the best interests of the over 700,000 constituents who I represent in the Sixth Congressional District of Pennsylvania. Our constituency is made up of individuals with a diverse range of opinions and beliefs on all issues, including polarizing and sensitive topics such as gun control, and it is my responsibility to take into consideration all of these thoughts and opinions before making any final decision as to how I will vote on legislation.

With that being said, during my tenure in Congress, I have supported legislation to preserve and protect the constitutional rights of our citizens, including those rights provided under the Second Amendment. However, as is the case with every bill that comes to the House floor, I will evaluate each piece of legislation and weigh the costs, benefits and expected impact of such legislation against the concerns and views of my constituents and one's Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Thank you for contacting me regarding this important issue. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you or your family in the future.

With kind regards, I am

Sincerely,

Jim Gerlach
Member of Congress

P.S. Please visit me on the internet at http://www.gerlach.house.gov.

***This is an unattended mailbox. Please do not reply directly to this email.***

Brought to you by TapaTalk

sporty66
January 25, 2013, 08:06 AM
Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, as well as gun control policy and gun safety. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

On Friday, December 14, 2012, a gunman entered Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, and began shooting teachers and students before taking his own life. This horrific tragedy took the lives of 27 people, including 20 children seven years of age and younger. As a mother, I'm horrified and stunned by the senseless violence against innocent children and teachers.

This tragedy has led to renewed and important discussions about gun control, which is often a divisive topic in our nation. The loss of so many beautiful children in a mass shooting that involved an assault rifle with ammunition clips that held large numbers of bullets makes clear that we need to revisit the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 and review permissible magazine ammunition sizes. I am also supportive of closing the gun show loophole and making sure that those with court-determined, dangerous mental health diagnoses do not get access to guns. Finally, it is equally clear that we must reconsider the mental health services available to our citizens, knowing that each mass shooting our nation has experienced involved individuals with substantial mental health problems. "Obamacare" will expand important mental health coverage when it is implemented in 2014. Protecting our children and our citizens will require us to come together to find real solutions that cover a broad range of factors that have contributed to these horrific incidents.

I firmly believe that an attempt to promote appropriate gun safety measures can be done without infringing upon law-abiding citizens' right to own firearms or unduly burdening the hunting and sportsmanship culture of Missouri. I believe the horror of the Newtown shootings makes clear that we must get to work protecting our communities and our children from mass slaughter, while also protecting our Second Amendment rights. I am hopeful that the National Rifle Association, a significant voice in this discussion, will be a constructive part of this dialogue.

Even as I welcome this renewed debate, please know that I will continue to protect the Second Amendment Rights of law-abiding citizens to safely own and use appropriate firearms. In the past, I have voted to permit residents of the District of Columbia to own and purchase firearms. I also supported an amendment to a spending bill that would prevent funding for any international organization, including the United Nations, that places a tax on any firearm owned by a United States citizen. I have opposed other inappropriate measures, such as forcing Missouri to accept other states' firearms laws.

As your United States Senator, I will keep your thoughts in mind anytime Congress considers gun-related legislation. In the wake of the Newtown tragedy, my prayers are with the students and staff at Sandy Hook Elementary, and with their families. All Americans are outraged at senseless and criminal gun violence no matter where they may fall in the debate on guns in American society. A renewed national conversation has begun and we must all be a constructive and open-minded part of it. There is middle ground here, where this nation can come together with sensible laws that prevent the mass murder of innocent citizens, while we continue to respect our Constitution and its Second Amendment rights.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Claire McCaskill
United States Senator

P.S. If you would like more information about resources that can help Missourians, or what I am doing in the Senate on your behalf, please sign up for my email newsletter at http://mccaskill.senate.gov.

Gaffer
January 25, 2013, 09:45 AM
Got one from my Governor, but nothing yet from any others.

Blind Dog Jake
January 25, 2013, 10:11 AM
Got a generic email from

Governor John Kasich from the state of Ohio
I must have six or eight E-mails from his office, all the same.

I send that Ruger letter plus others every day. Heck sometimes two or three times a day.

Dear Dan:

Like all Americans, I was horrified as the tragedies of Friday, December 14th unfolded in Newtown, Connecticut. The deplorable act of violence that took the lives of innocent children and adults is beyond reason, and I pray that, in time, the families of the victims and the people of that community are able to find peace.

As you no doubt recall, we were all reminded of the evil that exists in our world when six students were shot, three fatally, at Chardon High School in Geauga County on February 27th, 2012. In the aftermath, the heroic stories of the first responders, teachers and staff who acted swiftly and selflessly to protect others showed true courage.

Since that tragic event, and in the wake of the recent tragedy in Newtown, the absolute necessity for school officials, parents, students and first responders to be trained and practiced in responding to these unthinkable crimes is of utmost importance. Various state and local agencies, including the Ohio Office of Homeland Security and the Ohio Department of Education, have worked collaboratively to implement, review and drill response plans. Moreover, these occasions of violence and heartache should give us all pause to think about how we treat each other, and the value we as a society place upon every life.

With regard to calls for legislation in response to these events, it is my belief that we will be best served by enforcing those laws that currently exist. And, in the weeks and months that follow, we should learn as much as possible about how this happened, and what steps we can take, including mental health awareness and school safety protocols, to guard against the senseless loss of innocent life ever again.

I appreciate your taking the time to write. Please join me and my family in continuing to keep the communities of Chardon and Newtown, and all innocent victims of violence, in our prayers. Thank you.

Lateck
January 25, 2013, 10:18 AM
I too have not received any responses.
And I'm in Arizona, where Ruger has a large presence.....

Lateck,

WCraven
January 25, 2013, 11:09 AM
I have gotten 2 so far from..

Sincerely,
Renee Ellmers
Member of Congress

Kay R. Hagan
United States Senator, North Carolina

rugerman
January 25, 2013, 04:09 PM
I got a email from my state rep saying that he will vote against any gun control crap that the liar in chief or his cronies bring up.

MikeBo
January 25, 2013, 07:36 PM
So far so good considering his vote last time around...

Dear Mike:

Like all Americans, I was horrified as the tragedies of Friday, December 14th unfolded in Newtown, Connecticut. The deplorable act of violence that took the lives of innocent children and adults is beyond reason, and I pray that, in time, the families of the victims and the people of that community are able to find peace.

As you no doubt recall, we were all reminded of the evil that exists in our world when six students were shot, three fatally, at Chardon High School in Geauga County on February 27th, 2012. In the aftermath, the heroic stories of the first responders, teachers and staff who acted swiftly and selflessly to protect others showed true courage.

Since that tragic event, and in the wake of the recent tragedy in Newtown, the absolute necessity for school officials, parents, students and first responders to be trained and practiced in responding to these unthinkable crimes is of utmost importance. Various state and local agencies, including the Ohio Office of Homeland Security and the Ohio Department of Education, have worked collaboratively to implement, review and drill response plans. Moreover, these occasions of violence and heartache should give us all pause to think about how we treat each other, and the value we as a society place upon every life.

With regard to calls for legislation in response to these events, it is my belief that we will be best served by enforcing those laws that currently exist. And, in the weeks and months that follow, we should learn as much as possible about how this happened, and what steps we can take, including mental health awareness and school safety protocols, to guard against the senseless loss of innocent life ever again.

I appreciate your taking the time to write. Please join me and my family in continuing to keep the communities of Chardon and Newtown, and all innocent victims of violence, in our prayers. Thank you.

GarySTL
January 25, 2013, 08:00 PM
I received topic specific responses from Sen. McCaskle and Blunt as well as from my state rep.

GlowinPontiac
January 25, 2013, 08:14 PM
I got an automated "I received your letter but need time to read it" reply from Joe Courtney.

Now he is sending me surveys about what issues are important to me. Of all the options there are none pertaining to guns/2a.

Sent from my C5120 using Tapatalk 2

MLee
January 25, 2013, 08:27 PM
Here in Kentucky I got two positive responses, a "Std form" sounding one from McConnell about defending the 2nd amendment, and a pretty lengthy, personal one from Massie. It may have been a form letter as well but one that he put some thought and effort behind. I was pleased and expected no less from our state. Yarmuth is not your typical Kentuckian.....

glock30
January 25, 2013, 08:34 PM
January 25, 2013
Dear David,

Thank you for contacting me about gun control. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, January 16, 2013, President Obama announced a variety of gun policy measures in response to the Newtown, CT killings. I therefore value knowing your views on this important issue, which is important to me as I carefully review the President's proposals. Like many Pennsylvanians, I believe that Second Amendment rights are important and must be protected, but there may be areas of agreement with the White House that can be addressed to improve public safety. I also believe that people who use guns in an illegal manner or harm others with them should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

That said, we have consistently observed that mass killings are the result of serious mental illness. We therefore need to better protect ourselves from mentally ill individuals who seek to carry out such atrocities, including improved background checks. We also need to review and improve how we take care of the mentally ill. As I continue working with my Senate colleagues on both sides of the aisle on public safety, please be assured that I will keep your views about firearms in mind.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Pat Toomey
U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania

Cesiumsponge
January 26, 2013, 11:58 AM
This one is vague, but possibly promising
January 25, 3013

Thank you Sponge for the email. I certainly support 2nd Amendment rights, and have not yet seen any specific firearm-related legislative proposals. I will keep your thoughts in mind when the issue comes up, and will do my best to have my staff keep you updated on any proposed changes.
Sincerely,
Linda Kochmar
State Representative • 30th Legislative District
Legislative Building • 122F • Olympia, WA 98504

TimboKhan
January 26, 2013, 12:03 PM
I got a response back from Cory Gardener that was happy with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mayorgonzo
January 26, 2013, 02:54 PM
As a Washingtonian, I received the same exact responses as the OP.

jmace57
January 26, 2013, 02:57 PM
I just wanted to throw in a "not one peep" from any of mine (Texas).

John3921
January 26, 2013, 03:05 PM
I got back notes from Baucus, Testor, and Daines. I've also sent emails through the popvox system on specific legislation - so I'm not sure if they responded to the Ruger letter or the popvox letter. It will be interesting to see if Montana's 2 democrat senators vote what Montana wants - or what Obama wants.

pikid89
January 26, 2013, 09:02 PM
I copied the form letter into the contact forms on senators Rubio, and Nelson, both of FL

From Senator Marco Rubio
Dear Mr. Pikid89,

Thank you for writing to me regarding the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. I share your concern for the victims of this tragedy.

My heart breaks for the victims and families impacted by this senseless act of violence. In a world that can at times be defined by its darkness, children are a reminder of what is good, cheerful and beautiful about life. An act of violence against these defenseless young people, as well as the faculty and staff who dedicate themselves daily to educating and caring for them, is a deed of unconscionable evil. I pray that God holds Newtown close as the community continues to heal from this tragedy.

In the aftermath of this unspeakable tragedy, like millions of Americans, I am looking for public policy changes that might prevent such a horrible event from happening again. I continue to be a strong supporter of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution which guarantees citizens the right to safely and responsibly bear arms. At the same time, I have always been open to measures that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill. In light of this horrible tragedy, I am open to new ideas to prevent mass tragedies like this from happening again.

It is an honor and a privilege to serve as your United States Senator. I appreciate your concern regarding this situation. If I can ever be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Marco Rubio
United States Senator

and form Senator Bill Nelson

Dear Mr. Pikid89:

Thank you for contacting me about protecting Second Amendment rights.

I grew up on a ranch in the Florida countryside and have been a hunter since I was a boy. I support a person's constitutional right to bear arms.

In 2008, the Supreme Court of the United States affirmed that the Second Amendment protects a person's right to possess a firearm, unconnected to military service, and to use that firearm for traditional lawful purposes like self-defense within the home. This is the law of the land.

I appreciate hearing your views on this subject. Hearing from you helps me to better serve you in the Senate.

Sincerely,
Bill Nelson

FWIW, From what Ive heard from friends of mine that have written Nelson concerning gun control, he has a few form letters. Mine is one and is usually the one sent when your original is pro gun. On the other hand, if your original letter is anti gun, he still opens with the lifelong hunter bit, but then goes onto say that he has/is considering supporting an assault weapons ban

Upstater
January 26, 2013, 10:11 PM
Just wanted to pass along all quiet in my part of N.Y. Even that coward Cuomo wouldn't acknowledge my letters or Ruger's. it is great to be represented by such caring and outgoing pols!:barf:

Rancher5
January 26, 2013, 10:15 PM
Thanking Rugar for doing all the work for us making it easy to voice our 2nd amend

MikeG
January 26, 2013, 10:58 PM
I did the petition two weeks ago. I haven't heard anything from any of my elected officials.

MRH
January 26, 2013, 11:16 PM
Just the canned answers from our 2 Democrat Senators, and same from my Republican Representative.

JayMust
January 27, 2013, 11:53 PM
I received a receipt of message from Udall, another canned one from Steve Pearce, and a nice, short personal message from my state rep - Alonzo Baldonado.

Browning
January 27, 2013, 11:55 PM
I have...
Dear Mr. Browning,

Thank you for contacting me with your opposition to President Obama’s proposals for increased gun control measures in the wake of the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT. I share your commitment to our 2nd Amendment rights, and I appreciate having the benefit of your thoughts.

My thoughts and prayers remain with the victims of the tragic shooting in Newtown. As a father, I can think of no greater tragedy than kissing my kids goodbye as they go off to school and never seeing them again.

I believe the Newtown tragedy provides us the opportunity, as a nation, to have an honest and frank discussion on a number of issues including mental health, the entertainment industry, our existing gun laws, and how we best protect our children. While President Obama has a right to voice his opinion on gun control and he has the right to sign or veto legislation sent to him by Congress, I believe these issues should be discussed, debated, and acted upon in the proper legislative process, which respects the constitutional doctrine of separation of powers.

However, I believe gun control policies fail to recognize that criminals, not guns, are the root cause of crime and violence in America. Criminals, by definition, violate laws. Gun control restrictions punish honest, law-abiding citizens who want to protect themselves and their families.

I will not support any measure that is offensive to the Constitution and violates the 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms. Whether one uses a firearm for hunting, sport shooting, personal protection, or another lawful reason, the 2nd Amendment clearly protects our individual right to keep and bear arms. I assure you that I will work to support the rights of gun owners who use firearms responsibly while working to punish those who break the law. As a gun owner, a hunter, and an advocate of our constitutional rights, I will continue to support bills that affirm the rights of law-abiding gun owners, while remaining vigilant in scrutinizing bills that may institute harmful gun control policies.

Thank you again for contacting me. I appreciate having the opportunity to serve you in the United States House of Representatives. I encourage you to visit my website at www.hensarling.house.gov where you can sign up for my e-newsletter. The website also provides links to my YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter pages, all of which will help bring my work in Washington, D.C., home to you.

Yours respectfully,
JEB HENSARLING
Member of Congress

Browning
January 27, 2013, 11:58 PM
Here's one for Sen. Cornyn

Dear Mr. Browning,

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal firearms laws. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe it is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's constitutional right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self-protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals our country was established upon. The Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller provides a greater guarantee that Americans' Constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court in that case stating an individual’s right to bear arms is fundamental. This historic ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In 2010, the Supreme Court decided in McDonald v. City of Chicago to strike down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago—and thereby affirm that the Second Amendment safeguards against state and local encroachments on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. I believe that strictly enforcing the law—and meting out tougher sentences for career criminals and those who use firearms when committing crimes—will reduce crime more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

medalguy
January 28, 2013, 01:14 AM
I received an acknowledgment after two days from the gov, state senator, and local rep. All from Texas by the way. :D

Rail Driver
January 28, 2013, 01:17 AM
Generic, automatically generated responses. Bill Nelson's was decidedly anti-gun.

bannockburn
January 28, 2013, 07:19 AM
Mostly generic acknowledgements that it was received but there was one well written reply from my U.S. Rep that was very pro-2nd Amendment and solidly behind the rights of gun owners. Encouraging to see that kind of support in Washington.

Robert Goodell
January 28, 2013, 07:38 AM
Haven't heard a word but what did i expect. I live in NY.

Al Thompson
January 28, 2013, 08:39 AM
I've gotten several.

radiotom
January 28, 2013, 01:34 PM
This from Mike Green....much better than the one from Stabenow....

Dear Tom,

Thank you for your email. I appreciate hearing from you and value your perspective.

I believe strongly in the individual right to keep and bear arms as recognized by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and Article I, Section 6 of the Michigan Constitution, without infringement. I will oppose any legislation that restricts the ability of law-abiding citizens to exercise this right to the fullest extent possible. Restrictive gun control measures - while perhaps well-intended - are unconstitutional, prevent law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves, and have proven to be ineffective at curbing violence.

Ending violence in our society is, in fact, an important issue that we must have a frank discussion about as a state and nation. In addition to increased enforcement of existing laws, three areas that should be included in that discussion are reform of our mental health system, strengthened reporting of firearms disqualifier data, and the portrayal of violence in modern entertainment.

Equally important, we must also address how state and federal law obstructs the ability of potential victims to effectively defend themselves against violence until law enforcement is able to appropriately respond. Along this line, I will be reintroducing the comprehensive reform of our concealed pistol license (CPL) law that the governor vetoed. I have also co-sponsored legislation that would exempt from federal law or regulation any firearm, accessory or ammunition manufactured, sold and possessed within the state's boundaries.

As additional legislation is proposed in response to recent incidents, I will be open to other meaningful solutions only if they respect or enhance the constitutional rights of all citizens.

Mike Green
State Senator
517 373 1777

SEE IT LIKE A NATIVE
January 28, 2013, 01:51 PM
I got a reply from Senator Rubio !

cologuy
January 28, 2013, 01:53 PM
In response to my Ruger-generated emails, I've only received the canned replies that all the CO members report. I followed up with all of my Federal and State reps with written letters, but don't expect a reply from any of them for a while yet - mail to your reps in DC has to be examined/x-rayed before it gets delivered.

returningfire
January 28, 2013, 01:55 PM
Me too

mikey98e
January 28, 2013, 02:54 PM
Both my wife and I got the canned replies from "our people in washington" BUT since we live in mass-a-2-shyts we aren't expecting any real results from kerry, granny or any of the other usual suspects.
-mike

Whiskey11
January 28, 2013, 06:44 PM
Yeah I just got a response back from Senator Johanns of Nebraska:

I am happy to report that today the U.S. and Japan announced an agreement that will allow American ranchers to export millions of dollars worth of beef to Japan. This is exciting news for Nebraska and our state’s cattle producers, who after nearly a decade of limited beef trade with Japan, will finally see those unnecessary barriers revised.

Under the terms of the agreement, which will go into effect on February 1, 2013, Japan will now allow the import of beef from cattle less than 30 months of age, compared to the previous limit of 20 months, among other steps. In the long term, I hope all of our trading partners align with international standards, but this is very definitely a positive step in the right direction.

Our farmers and ranchers have always produced the highest quality beef and our internationally renowned food safety system has protected consumers for decades. I applaud Japan for recognizing this and taking the right steps to strengthen the trading partnership with the U.S.

I wish I was making that up...

No response in relation to my 2nd Amendment rights, but by golly, the cattle herders will sure be happy! :banghead:

I love how they are willing to sign you up for their mailing list but wont respond to you. Classy!

Sheepdog1968
January 28, 2013, 08:04 PM
I got two back from different reps so far. They were fairly generic responses. Then again, I just assume that when we send an email to our reps it ultimately ends up being summarized with all the other responses as how many pro and cons they got on a particular topic within their sampling timeframe.

radiotom
January 30, 2013, 04:52 AM
Here's a response from our local communist of Michigan. :cuss:

Dear Mr. ********:

Thank you for contacting me about gun safety issues. I appreciate you sharing your views with me.

I support sensible gun safety laws and strict enforcement of those laws to help prevent crimes, suicides and violence committed with firearms. I support the steps President Obama outlined recently to curb the gun violence that plagues our nation, and I believe Congress can and should work to enact legislation to prevent gun violence without infringing on the rights of law-abiding citizens.

I was an original cosponsor of the Brady Law (P.L.103-159). This law requires prospective handgun purchasers to undergo criminal background checks before purchasing a firearm from a licensed dealer. The background check system is able to make 92 percent of background check determinations on the spot, and since 1994, has prevented more than 1.5 million firearm purchases. Additionally, according to Centers for Disease Control statistics, since the Brady Law went into effect, the number of gun deaths in the United States dropped 22 percent, from 39,595 in 1993 to 30,769 in 2007. The number of gun homicides dropped by more than 29 percent, from 17,024 in 1993 to 12,129 in 2007.

While the Brady Law has been successful in reducing gun violence, I believe more has to be done. For example, only 60 percent of all gun sales in the United States take place at licensed federal dealers, where background checks are mandatory. The remaining 40 percent of gun sales are conducted by unlicensed individual sellers, often at gun shows, and a background check is not required. This means that across our nation, any dangerous individual can go to a gun show and purchase a deadly weapon without any form of background check. To close this ‘gun show loophole,’ I am a cosponsor of the Gun Show Background Check Act. This bill would enact the common sense principle that anyone who wants to purchase a firearm at a gun show should be able to pass a simple background check. Ten national police organizations support closing this loophole.

Additionally, I am a cosponsor of the Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act, a bill that seeks to reduce gun violence by keeping firearms out of the hands of terrorists and criminals. Although hard to believe, nothing in current law prohibits individuals on terrorist watch lists from purchasing firearms, unless they fall into another disqualifying category. This “terror gap” in federal law must be closed, and this bill would do just that. This legislation would deny the transfer of a firearm when a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) background check reveals that the prospective purchaser is a known or suspected terrorist and the Attorney General has a reasonable belief that the purchaser may use the firearm in connection with terrorism. Keeping guns out of the hands of terrorists is just common sense.

I also have always supported the rights of sportsmen and hunters. Hunting is a way of life for millions of Americans and plays an integral role in modern wildlife management. But military style assault weapons have no sporting purpose. Because of these weapons, our nation’s citizens are in greater danger and police officers across the country are encountering criminals armed with highly lethal military style weapons.

To support our law enforcement community and to save lives, I am a cosponsor of the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013. This legislation would prevent the future possession, manufacture, sale and importation of assault-type weapons while grandfathering weapons lawfully possessed at the date of the bill’s enactment. It would ban firearms with detachable magazines and military style features, such as grenade launchers, protruding pistol grips, and barrel shrouds. It would support law enforcement officers across our nation, who should not be forced to confront lawbreakers toting military arms. And it would protect the rights of hunters by specifically naming thousands of firearms with legitimate sporting, sentimental or other value that would remain legal to possess.

This bill also would ban high capacity ammunition magazines. Studies have shown that high capacity ammunition magazines are used in 31 to 41 percent of fatal police shootings in cities across our nation. They also have been used by the perpetrators of numerous mass shootings, including at Columbine High School, Virginia Tech, the Tucson shooting of Representative Gabrielle Giffords and 19 others, the attack on a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, and the horrifying shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The Newtown shooting alone left twenty six people dead, twenty of them children.

We must not wait until more places are added to this heartbreaking list. We can and should act swiftly to protect our families and loved ones from mass shootings. These measures have the overwhelming support of law enforcement communities around our nation, who have implored us to make changes to stop the flood of these types of weapons into the hands of those who would use them for harm. I will continue to work for common-sense gun safety measures.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
Carl Levin
levin.senate.gov

ol' scratch
January 30, 2013, 07:23 AM
I have gotten replies. It is interesting to note that Sherrod Brown has changed the tone of his response. The canned response I received earlier has changed in tone. Now he is talking about mental health. Keep at them. I used the Ruger site, but I also sent letters on my own.

Cesiumsponge
January 30, 2013, 12:53 PM
This sounds promising, but a lot of politicians also say they support 2A (except assault weapons). I went to school with her daughter and she was a cool gal so I am hopeful.
Thank you for sending me a note expressing your support for the right to bear arms. I appreciate you taking time to contact me about this important issue.

I want to be very clear about my support of our State Constitution and the right to bear arms. Article I, Section 24 of the Washington State Constitution states, "The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired...". I fully support our Constitution and the right to bear arms.

Again, I appreciate you contacting me. Please let me know if I can be of additional service.

Sincerely,

Tracey J. Eide

2zulu1
January 30, 2013, 01:34 PM
I've received generic replies from Gov. Jan Brewer and Senator Jeff Flake. I also received a long letter from Rep. Ron Barber, Gabby Giffords successor. As expected, Rep. Barber is a 2A supporter combined with common sense. We all know what that euphemism means.

On a more positive note, Cochise County Sheriff Mark Dannels will not allow any official, federal or otherwise, to infringe upon the Constitutional rights of Cochise County residents.

acmax95
January 30, 2013, 08:35 PM
I received an email reply from Senator Mitch McConnell and as well as an email and a regular mail letter from Representative Ed Whitfield.

I am really impressed with Rep. Whitfield. He has responded to every message/letter I have ever sent to his office, and he spent an entire day at one of our local gun shows a few weeks ago talking to people about the 2A.

radiotom
January 31, 2013, 09:24 AM
This from the Michigan Governor:

Dear Thomas *******,

Thank you for recently contacting the Executive Office of Governor Rick Snyder. As a member of Governor Snyder's staff, please accept this response on his behalf.

While Governor Snyder will carefully consider any legislation that reaches his desk, he has not called for any specific gun legislation as we remain focused on improving the state’s economy. The governor understands this is a dialogue that is happening in earnest at the federal level, but has been clear that improving mental health treatment needs to be part of the discussion when it comes to solving larger problems related to gun violence.

In order to do this, we must take a holistic approach and examine the multiple causes and root of the problem. Therefore, Gov. Snyder has ordered a multi-departmental assessment of the state's services and needs regarding at-risk children, mental health, and school security. This will hopefully lead to more answers and better safeguards while ensuring we’re protecting the rights of law-abiding firearm owners. Here is a summary of what Governor Snyder has called for:

· Directing the Michigan Department of Community Health to partner with the departments of Human Services and Education, as well as the State Court Administrative Office and law enforcement, to evaluate systems of care for at-risk children. The evaluation will identify gaps between the various systems and create a comprehensive plan to bolster early intervention efforts to address behavioral, emotional and mental health issues.

· Tasking the Department of Community Health to work with law enforcement and the courts to facilitate regional training to better identify tools that can be used for identifying high-risk youth. DCH also will collaborate with partners to increase mental health awareness efforts, which will include promoting resources available to people in need of assistance.

· Directing the departments of Community Health and Human Services to explore ways to incorporate community mental health workers into the Pathways to Potential model that is under way in schools.

· Directing the Michigan Department of Education to review best practices and policies of safe school plans across Michigan, and help develop a means of greater access to strategies for students to find ways of resolving conflicts peacefully.

· Asking local school districts to offer practical ways to help prevent the introduction of weapons on school property, in order maintain the sanctity of a safe educational environment for students and educators.

Should gun legislation come before Governor Snyder for consideration, please be assured that your comments will be kept close at hand. If you have further questions or comments regarding this or any other state-related matter, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I’ve included my contact information below.

Sincerely,

Laura Stoken
Constituent Services Division
Executive Office of the Governor, Rick Snyder
O: 517-335- 7858

dragon813gt
February 8, 2013, 07:37 PM
Well I received this sickening response today. I hate politicians especially ones that say they support the second amendment and then give a response like this. He was also elected on name recognition alone. If it wasn't for his Dad he wouldn't have been elected.

Dear Mr. Dragon:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about recent proposals related to guns. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

As you know, on December 14, 2012, an individual in Newtown, Connecticut forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School and opened fire on teachers and staff in the building. In total, the perpetrator murdered 20 students between the ages of six and seven years old, as well as six adults, many of whom heroically sought to stop the shooter and save the lives of children. Like many Americans, I was deeply affected by the scope and brutality of this act. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

The motives that led to this senseless massacre will likely never fully be comprehended. However, I believe that all public officials have a responsibility to work to prevent such an event from occurring again. This incident reflects a complex problem that requires a comprehensive strategy, including funding for law enforcement officers and the mental health care system. Too many individuals with mental illness are not receiving the services they need and tragically, sometimes a small number of these individuals turn violent. I have supported access to affordable and accessible mental health services for all Americans and I will continue to review proposed solutions to improve our mental health system. As lawmakers consider an appropriate response to this challenging issue, we should consider all of the factors that could prevent such heinous acts.

As you may know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. Pennsylvania has a fine hunting and sporting tradition, and I will defend the right to bear arms as it is enshrined in our Constitution. I will continue to back the right to bear arms for purposes of self-defense, recreation, sporting and collection. However, I also believe that the attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School highlights very serious dangers posed to public safety by the misuse of certain weapons and technology originally developed for warfare. According to reports, the shooter was able to kill many children and adults very quickly because he possessed a military-style semiautomatic weapon. He also allegedly used magazines containing up to 30 rounds of ammunition and carried hundreds of rounds more. After much reflection and careful study of the issue, I have decided to support a federal assault weapons ban as well as legislation restricting high capacity magazines. In light of what occurred at Sandy Hook, these are two measures that will lessen the chances that this will happen again. Before supporting such a law, I would first and foremost ensure that it did not unduly abridge the right to bear arms as established by the Second Amendment.

Our Nation has already begun a critical dialogue as we examine what steps must be taken to prevent this type of tragedy in the future. On January 17, 2012, President Obama unveiled a package of proposals to reduce gun violence, which included strengthening the system of background checks, reinstating the assault weapon and high-capacity magazines ban, improving school safety and expanding access to mental health services. I look forward to reviewing these proposals in detail and to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to address this complex issue.

On January 24, 2013, Senator Dianne Feinstein of California introduced S. 150, the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013. This legislation would explicitly permit the possession of affected firearms that were owned prior to the bill's enactment; firearms that are manually operated; firearms used by military, law enforcement and retired law enforcement; and antique weapons. Further, this legislation lists 2,258 hunting and sporting rifles and shotguns that are entirely exempt from the ban.

This legislation would ban the sale, transfer, manufacturing and importation of all semiautomatic rifles that can accept a detachable magazine and have at least one of seven specified military features. S. 150 would further ban semiautomatic pistols that can accept a detachable magazine and have at least one of certain listed military features, as well as ammunition magazines that can accept more than 10 rounds. The Assault Weapons Ban would also regulate the transfer and storage of permitted, grandfathered weapons and allow local law enforcement to use certain federal funds for voluntary gun buyback programs. The Assault Weapons Ban was referred to the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, of which I am not a member. Please be assured that should this legislation come before the full Senate for consideration, I will have your views in mind.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
Bob Casey
United States Senator

glock30
February 8, 2013, 11:26 PM
I just got the same email from Bob Casey.Sent one back to him to let him know that he will never have my vote for any office.

JayMust
February 8, 2013, 11:36 PM
I received one from Sen. Heinrich:

Dear,

Thank you for contacting me about the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States and federal regulation of the ownership and use of firearms. I appreciate knowing your thoughts and concerns on this important issue.

As a lifelong sportsman, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. Owning and using firearms responsibly is a central part of the history and tradition of the American West -- a tradition I am proud to share with my father and sons. But as a parent, I can't watch the events that took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut and not be deeply affected.

On January 16, 2013, President Barack Obama released a Plan to Protect our Children and our Communities by Reducing Gun Violence. I will be taking a serious look at all of the legislative proposals in this plan aimed at preventing horrific tragedies and intervening early where mental health is a concern. I'll base my support for any legislation on whether it can realistically reduce the violence while still protecting the constitutional right to bear arms.

It is my hope that we can make some pragmatic changes to our nation's firearms laws that will keep dangerous weapons out of the hands of criminals and limit their impact when firearms are used illegally.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please rest assured I will keep your thoughts and ideas in mind as I consider legislation. I hope you will continue keeping me informed of the issues important to you.

For more information, please visit my website, http://heinrich.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

MARTIN HEINRICH
United States Senator

goon
February 9, 2013, 12:01 AM
I have gotten replies from Mark Begich and Lisa Murkowski, and also from one my Alaska reps at the state level.

Flyboy73
February 10, 2013, 01:38 AM
Believe it or not I actually got a letter today in the Mail from my Congressman Dave Camp 4th district Michigan. This was a reply back the Ruger Emailing.

"Thank you for contacting me.

I appreciate knowing your concerns regarding gun control legislation. As you may know, in the wake of the Newtown Connecticut tragedy, there has been a flurry of legislative proposals introduced in Congress relating to gun control. Additionally, this past December, President Obama established a task force directed with finding a comprehensive approach for preventing gun-related violence. Upon reviewing its recommendations, on January 16, President Obama issued 23 executive actions and recommended a series of legislative proposals for Congress to enact to address the issue of gun violence. Such proposals included placing limits on guns and ammunition, bolstering school security and improving access to mental health services.

Like you, I believe the right to bear arms is a fundamental principle upon which this nation founded and this right must be preserved for future generations. As a Strong supporter of the Second Amendment, I have serious concerns with legislative efforts that seek to limit law abiding Americans' right to purchase and own firearms. Please be assured I will keep your concerns in mind should any gun control legislation come before me for a vote in the House of Representatives.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me."

I do appreciate his office sending me a written note, instead of just a email.

Brion

michaelbsc
February 10, 2013, 03:00 AM
I did, but being from SC it's predictable to hear 2A support.

willroute
February 12, 2013, 08:48 AM
I have not, but I am going to call and write until they respond and I believe everyone should do the same.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone get replies from the Ruger mass emailing?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!