Epic fail

PDA

SSN Vet
January 22, 2013, 11:40 PM
I'll start with a confession... I habitually use too much LLA on my cast boolits. I just can't seem to stop until their all golden brown.

So after a sizable 9mm loading session tonight, I had a pile of some 200 finished cartridges with gummy bullets that needed cleaning up. So I figure, lots of you guys are tumbling your finished rounds... I'll give that a try.

NOT!

The walnut media stuck to the gummy bullet ends made a royal mess.

Now I have to wipe them all down by hand with a rag damp with mineral spirits.

Argh!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Epic fail" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
J.R.W.
January 22, 2013, 11:49 PM
That's not so bad. I usually do that anyways to clean them up all nice and purdy after loading.

Captaingyro
January 23, 2013, 01:21 PM
Don't feel bad. I tumbled some unfired Lake City 7.62 brass that the bullets had been pulled from. Know what sticks to that tar residue in the necks? Corncob.

Fortunately, I only did a few as a test, but what a PITA.

blarby
January 23, 2013, 01:41 PM
key :

Use less LLA, as many have specifically advised.

If you add pure mineral spirits to your tumbling media, it should clear all that off.

SSN Vet
January 23, 2013, 02:58 PM
If you add pure mineral spirits to your tumbling media, it should clear all that off

Could anyone recommend how much to add?

Typical size (Franklin Arsenal) tumbler
Walnut media
~180 loaded cases

RustHunter87
January 23, 2013, 03:19 PM
adding flammable liquids to your tumbler may not be a good idea, dosent seem like one to me at lest

ljnowell
January 23, 2013, 03:21 PM
adding flammable liquids to your tumbler may not be a good idea, dosent seem like one to me at lest

People have been doing it for years. its not going to hurt anything. Its not like you are filling up the tumbler and wet tumbling them.

Jeff H
January 23, 2013, 04:34 PM

you only add a cap full or two. not enough to hurt anything.

blarby
January 23, 2013, 07:36 PM
i use about an ounce for real dirty cases- about half that for final assembly tumbling.

exdxgxe4life
January 23, 2013, 09:42 PM
Did I miss something? Are you tumbling live rounds? I was schooled that that is a pretty big no no. Am I wrong?

rsrocket1
January 23, 2013, 10:18 PM
You should use just enough LLA to put a light haze on the tumbled bullets. Any more and you are just using it to create smoke and stick-um.

If you use 45/45/10 sparingly, you would have a light brown haze on the bullets that feels like hard wax. Powder will easily brush off the bullets with your fingers and if you are anal about wanting a shiny bullet top, you could use a paper towel to wipe off the haze with a "twist" after seating each bullet.

rcmodel
January 24, 2013, 12:10 AM
Am I wrong?Probably.

How do you think factory ammo gets that shiny?

Yes, they tumble it after it is loaded.
You may even find tumbling media in the factory hollow-point bullets sometimes.

rc

ArchAngelCD
January 24, 2013, 01:14 AM
Did I miss something? Are you tumbling live rounds? I was schooled that that is a pretty big no no. Am I wrong?
Like said above, factory gets tumbled before it's packaged so I see no reason not to do the same.

SSN Vet
January 24, 2013, 01:45 PM
I wiped them down with rag damp with MS.... was a good opportunity to QC my work. Pulled one out with a split neck, and another that had a bad bullet (out of a production run of ~550 cartridges). I also touched up a couple verdigris spots with emmory paper to facilitate feeding.

Having a hard time shifting gears from manually feeding the cases onto the turret press (and inspecting each one) to working with an automatic case feeder on a progressive press.

I sorted all my 9mm brass by head stamp and pulled out quite a few with heavy verdigris, all the .380 atuos and the occasional .40 S&W that made it past the initial sort. But in the future, I'm going to have to inspect these a little closer.

Cosmoline
January 24, 2013, 02:08 PM
This is part of the reason I switched to a thumbler and wet media. Works great, doesn't abuse the brass and cleans up a LOT easier.

RustyFN
January 24, 2013, 02:09 PM

It is perfectly safe to do. I don't tumble pistol ammo but I do tumble my rifle ammo after it's loaded to remove the case lube.

If you enjoyed reading about "Epic fail" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!