Attempted Passwork Hijacking..

PDA

Joey
January 23, 2013, 04:44 AM
Got 6 emails Tuesday saying somebody tried logging in to my account 6 times with at least 5 trys each time all between 1404 & 1407:

Dear Joey,

Someone has tried to log into your account on THR with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 93.114.43.233

All the best,
THR

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 93.114.43.233

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 198.96.155.3

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 78.108.63.46

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 78.108.63.46

If you enjoyed reading about "Attempted Passwork Hijacking.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rjrivero
January 23, 2013, 04:53 AM
It's obvious. The romanian, canadian, swedish bikini team were trying to get your attention!:p

I kid. That's just wacky.

Creature
January 23, 2013, 06:16 AM
High time to beef up your password with a long one. Make it at least 15 characters long...length beats complexity all day long.

Interesting read from a guy who cracks passwords for a living:

http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/password-size-does-matter-531?page=0,1

Double Naught Spy
January 23, 2013, 10:03 AM
I looked up the IPs

PROXY SERVER

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 198.96.155.3
PROXY SERVER

PROXY SERVER

Looks like a possible spammer trying to hijack your account. The proxy servers are listed as being commonly used for spamming (not that all are) and blacklisted by numerous sites.

j.kramer
January 23, 2013, 11:39 AM
not a spammer

spammers regularly use the same ip changing only the last ip numbers

this is the work of a person

ips can be changed every second if wanted to and you could be in any country you wanted to be in

banning ips works for spammer but not for person

Mal H
January 23, 2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Joey. I trust you have chosen a very strong password, if not I would change it ASAP to a good one.

As DNS said, those IP addresses are widely used by spammers. They don't match any member here who might have tried to login to your account by mistake (that's happened before when the user names are very similar).

If you enjoyed reading about "Attempted Passwork Hijacking.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!