What size 1911 do you prefer for carry?

PDA

Sergei Mosin
January 23, 2013, 06:22 AM
What size 1911 do you prefer for carry, and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "What size 1911 do you prefer for carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Creature
January 23, 2013, 06:26 AM
The Commander size. I havent found a 'short' 1911 yet that was truly reliable. The commander offers full-size reliability in a relatively compact size.

bannockburn
January 23, 2013, 06:59 AM
I have always found the Commander models to be the most comfortable to carry and the best fit for me in terms of overall ergonomics and performance.

tarosean
January 23, 2013, 07:27 AM
I voted for Commander. I picked up a 4" w/full size grip and only got to put 20rds through her before I had to leave the country. So my opinion might change when I get home to really test her.

hq
January 23, 2013, 07:36 AM
Double stack 10mm cannon, please. When you carry a heavy, full size, steel frame gun that can keep the recoil of full house defense loads manageable, you might as well pack a combination of serious firepower and stopping power in the same package. If you can't do it with 16 rounds of 10mm, the situation is beyond handgun capabilities anyway.

Resist Evil
January 23, 2013, 08:09 AM
I own or have owned pistols with 3" barreld with Officer's frames, 4.25" with single stack regular and Bobtailed frames, and 5" barreled pistols with single and double stack frames. I have owned or do own a CCO-style pistol.

I carry a Bobtailed Commander-size pistol because of the balance/feel in my hand, ease of carry, and performance on target from the line or in IDPA competition because it's the best for me.

WoodchuckAssassin
January 23, 2013, 08:51 AM
I don't have anything besides the full 5 inch barrel, and while that's fine for carry, I think the CCO would be very nice.

What companies are making a CCO version? I've been looking for something with a shorter hight for CC.

2wheels
January 23, 2013, 10:06 AM
Just recently fell in love with the CCO when I bought my TALO Colt CCO. The shorter dimensions and lighter weight make it easier to carry than a Government model, yet it's easier to shoot than an Officers model and doesn't have the Officers reputation for being unreliable. In short... It's "just right" for a carry 1911.

Before that, I mainly carried Officers sized 1911s. Mainly because they're very easy to carry.

2wheels
January 23, 2013, 10:08 AM
What companies are making a CCO version? I've been looking for something with a shorter hight for CC.

Off the top of my head, Sig does, the RCS I believe... Don't quote me on that. Dan Wesson does too.

Colt has in the past that you can still find, my TALO edition CCO for example I bought just last year at a gunshow.

Walkalong
January 23, 2013, 11:35 AM
I have carried all sizes. The smaller 1911's are a bit easier when you will be moving a lot and getting up and down from chairs etc. It isn't huge difference, but it is a difference. Weight only comes into play, IMO, if you are carrying for a long period at a time without relief.

psyopspec
January 23, 2013, 11:41 AM
When I have carried a 1911, it's always been a 5" model. Government sized are the only 1911s I've ever owned too. This was partly borne out of a want for the traditional pistol, and also partly because of my early days on THR where threads about problem 1911s tended to be about the shorter models.

2wheels
January 23, 2013, 05:35 PM
Interesting results so far... 41 1911s so far and only ONE Officer/Defender model voted for as I type. I expected to see at least a few more of them and a few less 5 inchers.

And Commander length (I'm including CCOs) are well in the lead.

red rick
January 23, 2013, 05:37 PM
4" Officer frame. I like the officer frame for sitting , driving and less weight. I just don't like the barrels on a 1911 shorter than 4 inches, they just point better and feel more balanced to me and I don't trust them as much with less than a 4" barrel.

Stevie-Ray
January 23, 2013, 07:00 PM
3" for me. Kimber UCDP for nearly 10 years now.

BigJimP
January 23, 2013, 07:02 PM
5" full sized for me....and my primary is a Wilson Combat, CQB model, in .45 acp....

bdb benzino
January 23, 2013, 07:59 PM
I carry 2 1911's, both different. One is a 4'' with a bobtailed commander sized frame, and the other is a Colt odd ball, but I love it. The Colt is a M1991 Compact slide (same as officer) on a full size frame, it was odd at first but now I have grown to like it. Its very reliable and not as heavy as a government model while having the same ammo capacity.

Zane
January 23, 2013, 08:13 PM
4" CCO style. This one I carry just a bit more than my 5" Government with a Bobtail.

ichiban
January 23, 2013, 09:20 PM
Commander.
I like the balance of the commander better. I also found that when carrying a government model IWB as I sat the muzzle contacted the chair first and drove the butt into my ribs.

Hit_Factor
January 23, 2013, 09:22 PM
Sig Sauer RCS 4.2" in .45 acp or Springfield EMP 3" in 9mm. Lightweight alloy frames. Both are reliable. Springfield had to go back for chamber ream before it would feed reliably.

M2 Carbine
January 23, 2013, 09:59 PM
3 inch Kimber Ultra.

Why?
It's small, light weight, very accurate and totally reliable.

sgtstryker
January 23, 2013, 10:41 PM
I carry a Combat Commander when that urge hits me. I don't have a smaller 1911, no experience with a smaller one except a Colt Custom Shop gun I had with a full frame and Officer's upper. It shot good and was reliable, but is gone now. A buddy just bought a Citadel compact and I'm waiting to see how it does. I almost got a Detonics last year in a pawn shop, maybe should have.

browningguy
January 23, 2013, 10:51 PM
SInce a Commander length is the only 1911 I have had to vote for that.

mavracer
January 23, 2013, 11:01 PM
What day of the week is it?

GLI45
January 23, 2013, 11:29 PM
My primary carry is 3.9" on an officer frame (STI Guardian), but sometimes rotate with a commander size (STI Ranger).

orionengnr
January 23, 2013, 11:37 PM
Had a number of 5"ers...good range or NS gun, never could make it work for carry.
I have owned more of the 3 inchers than anything else, but in the last 2-3 years I have come to appreciate the balance, weight and feel of an alloy framed Commander size. Bobtailed is nice, too. :)
Current favorite: S&W E-series Scandium, bobtailed and two-toned.

xXxplosive
January 23, 2013, 11:39 PM
My Commander carries nicely but my Gov't Model points better..........toss up.

Sergei Mosin
January 24, 2013, 12:15 AM
OK, who the heck is carrying a long slide!?

Prophet
January 24, 2013, 12:24 AM
I carry a gov't model. It points and handles so nicely that, after handling a few Commanders, I decided I could sacrifice the increased concealability for the ergo. Though I am happy with my decision I will say that I can certainly respect the opposite decision. As a smallish skinny guy I never figured I'd be one to conceal a full-size pistol, but the 1911 platform is slim enough that I'm learning to conceal it comfortably anyway.

1911 guy
January 24, 2013, 12:43 AM
Five inch. I've got no problem concealing it and won't even consider anything below commander length. As it is, I don't even need to give up 3/4" because 5" fits me just fine both OWB and IWB.

royal barnes
January 24, 2013, 01:11 PM
When I carry a 1911 my dress dictates size. I carry a New Agent in a Safariland belt slide when I am wearing a sweater or vest. The rest of the time it's a 5" LW Colt in the same holster. My New Agent has been totally reliable through 1100 rounds so far. The LW Government has about 7000 rounds without a glitch. It points and handles better for me than the 3" but the little one has it's place. I voted for the 5" though as I much prefer it when possible. Because of back issues I don't carry IWB with either. If I could the 3" would become a safe queen.;)

Soldiernurse
January 24, 2013, 04:33 PM
Why is EMP 1911-1A not listed? For EDC it's the perfect size :)

2wheels
January 24, 2013, 04:58 PM
Why is EMP 1911-1A not listed? For EDC it's the perfect size :)
The EMP would fall under the 3 inch category.

jaxbeach904
January 24, 2013, 05:16 PM
I carry a 1991 compact. Over 1000 rounds through it and not one hiccup.

horsemen61
January 24, 2013, 05:20 PM
I like the commander size.

Soldiernurse
January 24, 2013, 08:21 PM
2wheels, No it would not;

The OP listed; Defender 3"

I posted E M P :p

2wheels
January 24, 2013, 09:13 PM
2wheels, No it would not;

The OP listed; Defender 3"

I posted E M P :p
I'm sure he meant that to cover all 3 inch 1911s, not just the Colt Defender.

Just like "Commander" is often used to describe any 4" or 4.25" 1911, "Defender" is sometimes used to describe 3" 1911s, though "Officers" is much more common.

asia331
January 24, 2013, 11:49 PM
Have carried both Government and Officers Models. For years now have settled on the Full Sized Government model; points better, more reliable than a short action and I find concealability to be a non-issue.

hq
January 25, 2013, 10:43 AM
Looking at the votes, I seem to be very much alone with my preference of a double stack. Yes, I know, they're a bit thick compared to single stacks, especially to ones with slim grips, but do 1911 people generally think that higher magazine capacity is more of a 'wondernine'-thing than something that can prove useful in a 1911?

Even though I've had 1911:s for decades, I bought my first double stack about five years ago and the first thing I noticed that they aren't necessarily that much heavier or bulkier than I originally thought.

2wheels
January 25, 2013, 02:39 PM
Looking at the votes, I seem to be very much alone with my preference of a double stack. Yes, I know, they're a bit thick compared to single stacks, especially to ones with slim grips, but do 1911 people generally think that higher magazine capacity is more of a 'wondernine'-thing than something that can prove useful in a 1911?

Even though I've had 1911:s for decades, I bought my first double stack about five years ago and the first thing I noticed that they aren't necessarily that much heavier or bulkier than I originally thought.
The slim grip and slim profile is one of the biggest reasons people love the 1911, especially for CCW. Going to a doublestack frame totally ruins that, I can easily understand why they aren't popular for CCW.

farm23
January 25, 2013, 03:30 PM
Have both 5" & 4" but carry only the 4. They both point good for me but the 4 is easier to carry. I have shot a 3" Kimber and it was a good gun but when I get another one it will be a 4.

RetiredUSNChief
January 25, 2013, 03:41 PM
OK, who the heck is carrying a long slide!?

Arnold Schwartzenegger, of course.

Duh!

:D

smalls
January 25, 2013, 05:47 PM
Voted for the commander, but I've been drooling over CCO's lately. I'd love to pick one up for summer carry.

45crittergitter
January 25, 2013, 07:47 PM
5" LIGHTWEIGHT. Darn near ideal.

Jed Carter
January 25, 2013, 07:55 PM
SIG RCS CCO size for me, amazing shooter in my hands. Considering a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm... but I cannot imagine a pistol that conceals and shoots as well as the RCS.

hesitantly
January 25, 2013, 08:20 PM
I have two 1911s - a Colt Defender, and a Kimber Combat Carry, but I prefer to carry my new Sig P938 (It will be a 1911 when it grows up). It is not so heavy, and doesn't print as easily as the bigger ones.

WildBill63
January 25, 2013, 11:50 PM
In order of preference;
1) Kimber Ultra CDP
2) Springfield XDs
3) Kimber SIS Pro

1911 guy
January 26, 2013, 12:53 AM
Just to add fuel to the fire, we do all realize that anything doublestack is, by definition, not a 1911, right?

mljdeckard
January 26, 2013, 03:07 AM
Full-size. I think it is more likely that I need to adjust to the design, rather than try to adjust the design to me.

Fleetman
January 26, 2013, 09:13 AM
Kimber UCII for me.....3" barrel and zero issues after 2k+ rounds. Oh yeah, to the folks that say Kimber mags are terrible.....I have five mags and zero issues with any of them.

hq
January 26, 2013, 09:51 AM
Just to add fuel to the fire, we do all realize that anything doublestack is, by definition, not a 1911, right?

In a strict sense of the term, you're right. In practice, with only non-interchangeable parts being the trigger, mag release, magazines and in some designs the grips or grip safety, it's close enough for me. :)

Simmy952
January 26, 2013, 10:13 AM
I have a rotation of 2 Sig 1911. Sig 1911 Ultra 3" most of the time and a Sig 1911 compact 4.25 other times. Used to carry a P238 and with a IWB holster, I can conceal the .45 just as well. Figured I like 8 rounds of .45 better than 7 rds of 380. Not here to start a caliber war but prefer the .45 better.

farscott
January 26, 2013, 11:17 AM
I have carried 3", 3.5", 4.25" (Commander and CCO), and 5" 1911s, and I prefer to carry the five-inch guns on the belt and the 3" guns in shoulder holsters. For IWB carry, the longer slide is nice as it helps anchor the gun and the extra length does not cause any printing issues. The sight radius makes shooting the five-inch guns easier than the shorter variants.

The shorter guns work for me when I must carry in a shoulder holster such as during long periods of time in vehicles. I prefer, even for this application, steel frames for both less perceived recoil and durability as frequent practice with the smaller guns is needed to keep accuracy sharp. I actually shoot more rounds through the smaller guns as I have found that shooting a five-inch gun well is very easy after shooting the 3" guns.

For my needs, the Commander and CCO are neither fish nor fowl. The shorter slide is not a plus for IWB but is still too long for a horizontal shoulder holster, the Commander frame is the same length in IWB as the five-inch gun, and the round butt/Bobtail treatments on the five-inch guns are as easy to conceal IWB as the Officer's ACP grip frame. The 3"/3.5" guns (like the discontinued Defender Plus and Double Eagle Officer's ACP) with full-length grip frames are great for horizontal shoulder carry and eliminate the need for Officer's ACP magazines.

So, for now (as I am always evaluating as both offferings change and I age), I am sticking with five-inch guns on the belt and three-inch guns on the shoulder.

xJokerG23x
January 27, 2013, 02:00 PM
All I have is a 5" Kimber Classic Custom Royal, and I carry it comfortably in an iwb holster. It's a toss up between that and my Glock 23 when I'm going out if that says anything lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sergei Mosin
January 31, 2013, 12:43 AM
Interesting to look over the results of this (admittedly unscientific) poll thus far: Commander (and Commander-ish) sizes lead Government Models by a small margin, with sizeable minorities in favor of 3 to 3.5-inch guns and CCO models. I must admit I'm a little surprised to see the Commander models leading, but then I carry a 5-inch myself.

I still want to know who's carrying a Long Slide!

If you enjoyed reading about "What size 1911 do you prefer for carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!