Marlington 1895 GBL

PDA

Dunkelheit
January 23, 2013, 05:45 AM
Im thinking about getting a big bore lever gun. I have read alot bad reputation about Marlin since they have been sold to Remington. Due the fact i have nearly no chance to find a old Marlin whereon do I have to pay attention when I get my hands on a new Marlin ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlington 1895 GBL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Abel
January 23, 2013, 06:46 AM
Everything. Anything. Screws boogered up, sights crooked, checkering wrong, barrel not seated properly, action won't cycle rounds, ect, ect. Every thing has to be scrutinized with these new Marlins.

curlymaple42
January 23, 2013, 06:54 AM
Our club was going to take one a coupe yrs ago and the local Cabelas had just sent 6 of them back for previous mentioned problems. Now, that was 2 yrs ago. Not sure about today, but scrutinize the guns carefully just the same. Hopefully they have improved.

wildcherrywoodworks.com
Fine Custom Furniture

MEHavey
January 23, 2013, 07:00 AM
Since I actually HAVE one (a RemLin 45-70 GBL), I'll weigh in.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/92182-1895gbl-vs-guide-gun-5.html#post1065588

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the FWIW column: I picked up a Remlim GBL about two months ago. (actually May`12 now)

- I like the laminate stock work they did (so did several of the "old guys" amongst my Range Officers)
- I like the oversize lever loop design (as compared to my 39A and `94)
- I like the absolutely flawless feeding of those big 45-70 cases.... smoothest I've ever felt... fast or slow
- I wasn't too keen on the 8 lb trigger, so I HappyTriggered & re main-springed it to 3
- The stock iron sights weren't too bad, but I put a WilliamsFP peep on it to establish load preferences.
- (then my mid 60's eyes finally said "...put a lo-pwr Leupold on it, stupid...."

- Finally, I like the way it puts lead (real lead) downrange:

http://i49.tinypic.com/w7dieo.jpg

Other than the above, I have no strong opinion. ;)

dprice3844444
January 23, 2013, 07:11 AM
some nice ones for sale on gunbroker,even one for 2800.00

MEHavey
January 23, 2013, 07:16 AM
Did you misplace a decimal point?
:what:

curlymaple42
January 23, 2013, 07:22 AM
Yeh really! 2800???????

Sent from my DROID RAZR

GooseGestapo
January 23, 2013, 09:49 AM
I own an assortment of Marlins. I've seen a couple of the "droop" guns from the past 3yrs,('10), but none lately.

Of the half dozen new "Remlins" I've looked at, (all 336's in .30/30), they are actually pretty decent rifles and compare well with late 1970's production Marlins.
One I looked at I almost bought. It was a M336 "Youth" model with short barrel. However, I thought;.... I already have a Glenfield M30 "half magazine" with slightly shortened "birch" stock that I haven't killed a deer with in 4yrs.... So, I handed it back over to clerk....

My only complaint was that the wood is overly "proud", or "pregnant" as another observer noted. It makes the guns feel "clunky" and "clubby"... in my hands. I have the same complaint about my mod. .338MX, with walnut stock, however.....And the forend on a M1895GG..... Buttstock is straight grip and "acceptable". My circa 1970's M336 in .35Rem is a quick pointing and handling dream. However, the "slick" walnut stock needed some "friction" for handling with gloves on, so I put some "checkering" on it my way of strips of "skate board tape".

I prefer the thinner stocks from the '70's. If only they'd go back to the "smaller" wood and checker them like the later ones.... I'd buy ANOTHER Marlin; a REMLIN at that....
Probably in .308MX to "fill out the collection". Or perhaps a .444 with a 1/20 Ballard rifled barrel.....

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlington 1895 GBL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!