Stubby bullets

PDA

Buck13
January 23, 2013, 11:49 AM
Weird! That 75 grain wadcutter looks like a hockey puck. Anyone shot a bullet like that?

http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65

If you enjoyed reading about "Stubby bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
eldon519
January 23, 2013, 01:14 PM
In a .357, you could stack one under one of the 93 or 100 grain bullets to make for an interesting multi-projectile handload. Definitely would want to proceed in load development cautiously.

Buck13
January 23, 2013, 01:46 PM
I don't think I have it any more, but I saw a magazine article about a year ago about multi-projectile loads (in a Judge?). The results were not impressive.

I'm just curious how far these fly before big differences vs. a more conventionally shaped bullet appear.

Drail
January 23, 2013, 03:39 PM
Back in the late 1980s stacking 3 wadcutters was all the rage for about one year. Some of the ammo companies were even offering them. "Turn your .357 snub into a SHOTGUN!!!" Everybody tried it and then quietly went back to normal ammo.

Buck13
January 24, 2013, 12:04 PM
Well, you can buy something like that again. Can't remember which product they were testing. Maybe Winchester PDX1.

F-111 John
January 24, 2013, 12:10 PM
DoubleTap Ammunition makes a few loads, but none in .38 spl that I can see:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=557

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg94/DKconfiguration/eqaulizer45444412.jpg

Pudge
January 24, 2013, 01:49 PM
I built some 2 slug .38 specials with 75gr wadcutters. At 3 to 15 yards they seem to hit an inch or so apart. I shoot offhand, and didn't see a significant accuracy problem at those ranges. Kind of fun tearing up a target with those rounds.

The Lone Haranguer
January 24, 2013, 02:14 PM
Remington at one time made a .357 Magnum "multi-ball," i.e., three 00 buckshot pellets, perhaps still does. Since the pellets are ~.33-caliber, unlike multi-bullet loads, there is no projectile stabilization.

Gatofeo
January 25, 2013, 12:06 AM
I still have a Lee bullet mould that throws a 120 gr. .44-caliber wadcutter bullet. Haven't loaded it in years, but I used to put two wadcutters in a .44 Magnum case, over a moderate charge of Unique.
Friends and I used to shoot tin cans off logs with it. Never patterned it on paper, so I can't say how closely the two bullets held.
Years ago, when I lived in an apartment, my home defense gun was my Marlin .45-70 rifle with 22" barrel.
I used to load three Speer .457 balls in one case, over Unique powder. A .45-caliber Wonder Wad separated the top ball from the middle, and the middle from the bottom ball. This kept them from sticking together as they left the muzzle.
Heck of a home defense load.
Never had occasion to use it.
At 25 yards, it would keep the balls just within a 9" paper plate.
For an apartment dweller, where over-penetration is a concern, it's a useful alternative.
Multi-projectile loads are fun to tinker with, but like everyone else I returned to the single bullet concept. Much easier to reload.

eldon519
January 25, 2013, 06:16 AM
I wasn't proposing the multi-ball concept for serious SD, just for fun on paper or maybe if you've got varmints like coyotes, groundhogs, whatever. With the wadcutter profiles, they would probably cut pretty nice holes through flesh at close range though.

Loc n Load
January 25, 2013, 09:05 AM
In the seventies I experimented with loading 00 buck into speer shot capsules for the 357.....at "social" range ( 7 yds and closer) they worked fine...have also loaded similar rounds for the 44 & 45LC using filler to stabilize the pellets. Load a 200 gr WC for a carry bullet in my 44 spl Mod 24.
I have also seen brazing rod cut up and loaded into shot capsules and stacks of dimes in 12 ga shotguns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stubby bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!