A bubble gun?? School overreacts...

PDA

SigSour
January 23, 2013, 01:33 PM
Banning guns is not the right solution.
Schools and government overreacting is also not the right solution but it's been on my mind, if the government starts with the "this person cannot have a gun because *we think* they are mentally unstable" - then where would it stop??

I'm afraid they will screw this up too. Authorities already have:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/kitty-bubble-gun-year-suspended-18263233

Ridiculous. Kids can't even be kids anymore - and I won't even talk about adults.

"Your first amendment rights have not been revoked... just don't say "bomb" in an airport under ANY circumstances" - and it goes from there.

If you enjoyed reading about "A bubble gun?? School overreacts..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Trent
January 23, 2013, 02:09 PM
Wow. This country is so seriously screwed up.

TRX
January 23, 2013, 07:53 PM
Wait until they see my old Sears timing light!

jamesbeat
January 23, 2013, 07:59 PM
A kid go thrown out of school a couple of weeks ago for making a gun shape with his hand.

I think the teachers genuinely believe that they are preventing kids from growing up to be gangsters.

DoubleTapDrew
January 23, 2013, 08:01 PM
There absolutely needs to be a phychological evaluation...on the school administrators.

jeepnik
January 23, 2013, 08:22 PM
And I thought it was bad when a fellow was shot by the cops when he had a timing light in his hand. Seems his neighbors didn't like him reving his engine early in the morning and called the cops to complain. Cop shows up, fellow turns with a timing light and bang. On the plus side, the cop almost missed and the fellow survived.

But that was decades ago, and since most folks don't even know what a timing light is anymore, I doubt that will ever happen again.

chipcom
January 23, 2013, 09:08 PM
I still have a timing light...and they'll take it out of my cold dead hands, dagnabbit!

Manco
January 23, 2013, 09:29 PM
Wow. This country is so seriously screwed up.

Largely because of who is educating our children, apparently.

A kid go thrown out of school a couple of weeks ago for making a gun shape with his hand.

No wonder so many deaf children can't spell "Linda" or "Lisa" or "Larry" these days--they'd get arrested for terrorism! :eek:;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_manual_alphabet

cfullgraf
January 23, 2013, 09:36 PM
I guess it is not politically correct to play cowboys and indians anymore.

Black Knight
January 23, 2013, 09:41 PM
What was it that Jack Nicholson said about Gotham City in the first Batman movie. "What this town needs is an _________." Maybe the country needs one.

Texan Scott
January 23, 2013, 09:42 PM
If they ever come for my joint compound, they'll find me with a caulked gun in my hands, ready to take somebody grout.

Are these people mental or something? What, did the kid have a dangerous high-capacity bubblesoap reservoir?

Stupid.

Deltaboy
January 23, 2013, 09:53 PM
.This is a bad day for Common Sense.

StrutStopper
January 23, 2013, 10:29 PM
Another little girl was searched today because she had a paper gun. I wonder which is more dangerous, a soap gun or a paper one. One can irritate your eyes and the other might cut you...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/23/philadelphia-girl-scolded-searched-after-pulling-out-paper-gun-at-school/?test=latestnews

JohnnyK
January 23, 2013, 10:41 PM
I wonder what would happen if a student put the lethal combination of straw and small paper ball together to shoot a spit wad? I bet an immediate lockdown would be the proper thing to do in their manual... what a sad state of affairs... I'm a teacher and when we have the wonderful shelter in place drill... we are to lock the door, turn off the lights and hide in a corner... what a sad state of affairs... I can be trusted to teach the future generation but not protect them... atleast I have a couple of metal staplers to throw at a bad guy... but i can't be trusted with my Glock I'm licensed to carry :banghead:

jamesbeat
January 23, 2013, 10:56 PM
I read a quote once, can't remember where.

It's more of a mathematics joke about the way averages work, but it also has a more serious philosophical message:

'Remember, half of all people are below average intelligence.'

It helps calm me down a little when something really dumb happens.
I thought that it would be fitting to share it on this thread...

jamesbeat
January 23, 2013, 11:06 PM
Wow, reading this thread just unlocked a distant memory for me!

This would have happened when I was maybe 9 or 10 years old, so it would have been around 1985 or '86.

Many of you will remember 'Megatron', the leader of the evil 'Decepticons' in Transformers.
For those of you who don't know, Megatron could transform from a robot into a surprisingly accurate (though child scale) Walther P38 pistol.

I remember being scolded by a teacher when I brought the toy to school, and she told me to transform it into its robot form and leave it that way.

Seems that this type of hysteria isn't as new as we thought, although we did used to form our hands into a gun shape and pretend to shoot each other without getting into trouble...

ETA: I imagine an anti would read this and point out that such behavior has led me to become a 'gun nut', thus proving their point :(

M-Cameron
January 23, 2013, 11:12 PM
MY GOD!!...a High Capacity Assault Bubble gun!!!! i can just imagine the carnage!!

good god, a psych eval and suspension over bubbles??.....seriously?

how the hell do these school administrators still have jobs?

Grassman
January 23, 2013, 11:18 PM
I still have a timing light...and they'll take it out of my cold dead hands, dagnabbit!
I keep my timing light by the bed stand at night. It really disorients the bad guys.:neener:

sonick808
January 23, 2013, 11:21 PM
I have an old Sears timing light as well! Probably a 1962-63 model; bright chrome pistol profile with trigger, and bright flash... i can see how a LEO would mistake this for a pistol, for a split second anyway....

JohnnyK
January 23, 2013, 11:27 PM
to play devils advocate... as a teacher, why would a student need a bubble gun at school? for what class would it be useful? if they were disrupting class have them put it away... suspension is way overboard penalty.

Lex Luthier
January 23, 2013, 11:30 PM
The world is going crazy. Hang on to your seat.

xXxplosive
January 23, 2013, 11:36 PM
No....this is the LLW plan......since they can't take our guns away and do away with 2A....they're going to make it a moral issue and garner public support to ensure gun owners are viewed as cigarette smokers......Anti Social Dirt Bags....starting with our kids in school.....if you tear a corner out of a piece of paper and hold it up....it's automaticallly a gun and your suspended.....anything Gun gets you put out of the social norm....this is how to change societies values by threatening our younger generation.....their master plan.

black_powder_Rob
January 23, 2013, 11:44 PM
JohnnyK as a teacher, I would think maybe the kid brought the bubble gun to play with at recess.

beatledog7
January 23, 2013, 11:44 PM
Insanity. We need to do everything we can to free our children from these public school weenies and stop them from perpetrating these travesties on the innocents whom they are charged to educate.

Private schools and home schooling are the answer, and opt-out vouchers are a means to get there. Of course, whenever I mention them here I get cut off by a moderator telling me school vouchers are irrelevant in THR's realm. But this sort of madness in the public schools (and in some private schools as well) proves that vouchers are very relevant.

Competition for the education dollar is something the teachers' unions do not want, and that fact alone is enough for me to know it's exactly what we need.

BLB68
January 24, 2013, 12:05 AM
As usual, zero tolerance policy = zero common sense.

Manco
January 24, 2013, 01:16 AM
Man, do I feel old--when I was a kid, we boys used to write stories about blood & guts getting blown up all over the place for class, and as long as our grammar was decent enough the teachers would just laugh. Nowadays, not only can't children have such a creative outlet (ahem :)) without getting shipped off to Gitmo, their grammar sucks even worse than ours did (a lot worse, from what I've seen).

I guess it is not politically correct to play cowboys and indians anymore.

No, it's cattle herders and Native Americans, neither of whom use guns. That's what they call gringo vaqueros and Injuns these days. ;)

On the contrary, the media just showed that they still have some left, while exposing the people we should be the most wary of. To put it bluntly, we need to take our children out of public schools.

how the hell do these school administrators still have jobs?

And I wonder whether that's how they got their jobs in the first place.... :uhoh:

Westfair
January 24, 2013, 11:05 AM
Wait until they see my old Sears timing light!
Hahahah. My dad used to yell at me for playing with his timing light while I "helped" him work on the car. It's not my fault it looked like some sort of sci-fi laser pistol! :)

Queen_of_Thunder
January 24, 2013, 11:23 AM
There absolutely needs to be a phychological evaluation...on the school administrators.

Could not agree more

Manco
January 24, 2013, 12:51 PM
I can be trusted to teach the future generation but not protect them... atleast I have a couple of metal staplers to throw at a bad guy... but i can't be trusted with my Glock I'm licensed to carry :banghead:

That's the funny thing about those who strongly oppose allowing teachers to carry--they've been claiming lately that it would create more violence. Huh? :confused: Nobody has suggested arming students, just teachers and other school employees. If you guys are considered too dangerously unstable to handle guns (on a voluntary basis, no less--this weeds out the anti-gun teachers who don't even trust themselves), then why are people allowing you to be around their children all day, let alone teach them?

I'm starting to think that most antis, particularly the well-meaning ones, must have a gene that makes them unable to sense self-contradiction (i.e. they have no sense of cognitive dissonance). This common willingness to readily embrace doublethink among the population is frankly rather frightening. :uhoh:

No....this is the LLW plan......since they can't take our guns away and do away with 2A....they're going to make it a moral issue and garner public support to ensure gun owners are viewed as cigarette smokers......Anti Social Dirt Bags....starting with our kids in school.....if you tear a corner out of a piece of paper and hold it up....it's automaticallly a gun and your suspended.....anything Gun gets you put out of the social norm....this is how to change societies values by threatening our younger generation.....their master plan.

Whether there is a well-organized master plan in place or not, clearly there is an agenda being carried out in public schools, and we're being made into pariahs. I know some parents who own guns and support the RKBA, but have made the subject of guns taboo in their own homes, just like in school, so that their children won't accidentally slip and get suspended. :banghead:

Private schools and home schooling are the answer, and opt-out vouchers are a means to get there. Of course, whenever I mention them here I get cut off by a moderator telling me school vouchers are irrelevant in THR's realm. But this sort of madness in the public schools (and in some private schools as well) proves that vouchers are very relevant.

I agree that the subject of education, including where our children are educated, is very relevant to the long-term future of the RKBA. We have to take all the appropriate steps in all of the relevant areas (our opponents are doing just that) while we're still strong, otherwise we'll eventually end up as just another lunatic fringe group in the eyes of the general public (if this hasn't happened already).

jerrard
January 24, 2013, 02:26 PM
According to news report, the gun was not even brought to the school, they were only talking about shooting each other with a bubble gun.

Manco
January 24, 2013, 03:47 PM
According to news report, the gun was not even brought to the school, they were only talking about shooting each other with a bubble gun.

They're teaching our children from Kindergarten onward that "gun" is a four-letter word--and more than that, labeling the violators terrorists. Aren't they jumping the gun a bit in going after the 1st Amendment before they've even finished off the 2nd Amendment? :rolleyes: Trust me, if they could read thoughts and ban those, they would.

StrutStopper
January 24, 2013, 06:22 PM
to play devils advocate... as a teacher, why would a student need a bubble gun at school? for what class would it be useful? if they were disrupting class have them put it away... suspension is way overboard penalty.
The article I read on this incident said a school official overheard the girl talking about the bubble gun while at the bus stop. The girl was searched and did not have the 'gun.'

If you enjoyed reading about "A bubble gun?? School overreacts..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!