Ruger Security Six Mainspring Question

PDA

MoreIsLess
January 23, 2013, 05:04 PM
Does anyone know how many pounds the factory mainspring is on a Ruger Security Six. According to the Wolff website, the factory one is 16lbs and the reduced power one they sell is 14 lbs. I thought I had read somewhere that the factory mainspring was 14 lbs.

Is it possible to get anything less than 14lbs (like 12). I didn't see anything except 14lbs on Wolffs site

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Security Six Mainspring Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Drail
January 23, 2013, 07:07 PM
I don't know the factory weight from memory but 16 lbs. sounds about right. Are you trying to reduce the mainspring's weight in an attempt to reduce the DA trigger pull weight? If you are I would stay at or above 14 lbs. if you want 100% reliability with any brand of factory ammo. If you handload and can use only Federal primers then you can go pretty low. You will however reach a point where the primers are not going to generate full power and ignite the powder consistently which will lead to fairly variable ballistics. The only way to get a good DA trigger on a Ruger DA is to clean up all of the burrs Ruger leaves in their guns, especially inside the trigger return spring tunnel. Cleaning up the edges of the stamped mainspring strut helps a lot also (and all of the other stamped parts). I love Ruger's revolvers but their finishing work inside the action looks almost like something Norinco would produce.

roaddog28
January 23, 2013, 07:22 PM
I have a Ruger Police Service Six. Memory serves me right the mainspring was at 14 lbs much like the SP101 and GP100. If you are unhappy with the trigger pull either have a gunsmith look at the revolver or you can take the revolver and do what Drail is saying. People try to put a 12 lb or lighter main spring and trigger return spring on Rugers and usually in up putting the stock ones back in. Polishing mating surfaces with a india stone and 1000 grit sand paper will slick up the trigger pull. Avoid using dremel tools. If you take too much off you might have issues. A smooth double action trigger is better than a lighter pull with issues such as misfiring.
Hope this helps,
Howard

Drail
January 23, 2013, 07:28 PM
ABSOLUTELY do not use Dremel tools. This all needs to be done with a steady hand and a med. fine and fine stone. Just knock the high spots and burrs off.

788Ham
January 24, 2013, 12:07 PM
They do come with a #14 spring. I have an SP 101 that had a horrible DA on it, I took it to the smith and had him do an action job on it. He put a #12 spring in it, wouldn't go any lower! The action job required deburring the frame, polishing the trigger, plus cleaning the casting burrs off. The result: The smoothest DA revolver I own, except for my Python. Mine was $60 OTD, best monies I've spent.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Security Six Mainspring Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!