Are Volquartsen's worth it?

PDA

coolluke01
January 23, 2013, 08:59 PM
I've been looking for a highly accurate .22 rifle lately. I've thought about building a 10/22 but after adding up the costs I don't really see any savings.

I also like the idea of a professional building the gun and getting it all done the first time. I know if I do it I will save some parts of the upgrades for later to save cost and then never do it.

I chose the Deluxe rifle with the Zeiss 4.5x14 scope. The total cost is $2400!

I have the money right now (sold my AR for an ungodly amount), but I'm wondering if I should just buy a old beater 10/22 and buy a barrel and a stock and be happy. Oh and then a trigger, and you might as well just put the cost of the beater parts gun towards a custom milled receiver... I can see how this will get out of hand quick. I have visited rimfirecenteral.com There is a lot of good info there, but everyone is interested in building their own.

I have a 10/22 now, but I would rather not change that one since it's my first gun.

Anyone with any experience with these rifles. Or know how cheap I could get buy with making a old 10/22 shoot MOA at 100 yards?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Volquartsen's worth it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PGT
January 23, 2013, 09:09 PM
I have two 10/22's. VQ is nice but also check out Timney and Kidd. You can buy a complete gun from Kidd for less than $1k.

I've got VQ on my first gun but they feel a bit "old school" to me design wise. The Kidd stuff is meticulously finished but a bit boring (all performance, no flash).

PGT
January 23, 2013, 09:10 PM
it now sits in a grey Yukon Extreme stock:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/GunStuff/photo-48.jpg

But this is how it was originally built for my wife:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/GunStuff/VQTHM-Diamond.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/GunStuff/Ruger10-22VQ.jpg

cat_IT_guy
January 23, 2013, 09:46 PM
I have modified my 10/22, starting with the base model. To date:
Base model 10/22 carbine. $220
BSA 3-9x40mm sweet .22 scope $50
Rings $12
GM 16" fluted bull barrel $125
Boyd's Blaster stock $115
VQ hammer kit, trigger, mag release, extractor, and bolt release. ($110)
Superior Concepts charging handle. ($45)
Bolt sent off to "Que" for improvements yesterday. ($40 with round trip shipping)
Also polished all action components (inside) and smoothed out the trigger return plunger.

I did recoup a bit of the costs by selling my factory barrel and stock for $30 and $25 respectively.

Will my gun keep up with a pure KIDD gun? I kind of doubt it. Will it shoot as good as I can? Yep. I like learning about how the parts interact, and doing much of the modification on my own (and being able to do it over time). I can definitely see myself either building a complete rifle from aftermarket parts or having one built for me in the future, but for now, I'm loving my semi-custom 10/22.

browningguy
January 23, 2013, 09:50 PM
VQ's are very nice rifles, and to be honest worth the money. Sure some people will say you could do it yourself cheaper, but it most likely won't shoot like the VQ, and if you have a problem with it down the road it's all on you. Kidd builds a nice rifle also.

PGT
January 23, 2013, 09:51 PM
I bought a 10/22RB from Dick's Sporting Goods for $245 (including tax) two weeks ago. I stripped everything off and kept only the receiver and sold everything on eBay, along with the original barrel and some extras from the pink gun above. I cleared almost $700 for everything.

When all is said and done for the build I'm working on, it will cost me about $240 out of pocket and the only thing not aftermarket is the Ruger receiver. :D Mostly Kidd parts but with a GM muzzle weighted barrel.

TIMC
January 23, 2013, 09:54 PM
You can go crazy with custom builds and I have on a couple of rifles over the years. Nothing wrong with it if you can afford it because it's all about fun anyway.
I went the old beater route and very happy with the outcome.
Re-shaped the bolt for ease of movemnet and to quiet it down a little, this rifle is for suppressor use. The gun came out very accurate and I love the trigger. I have less than $600 in the build including rifle and optics. She will make one nice dime sized hole at 50 yards with anything I shoot through it.

ER Shaw 16" 1:16 .920 barrel with 1/x28 threads
Keystone Arms Tundra thumbhole stock
Volquartsen internals: hammer kit, auto bolt release
Hawktecharms buffer
Volquartsen Extended mag release
Full size picatinny rail
Weaver rings
Bushnell 4-12 scope - had this one laying around looking for a home

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/Ruger1022targetrifle.jpg

Gtscotty
January 23, 2013, 10:19 PM
Well my built 10/22 is not really the style or frankly the quality rifle you seem to be looking for, but it was WAAAAY cheaper than that Volquartsen you mentioned. I was going for more of a light weight, yet still accurate suppressor host than an ultimate 10/22. That said, if you start looking at building one yourself, I would highly recommend you at least take a look at PWS T3 barrels. The T3 barrels are ~16" carbon fiber tension barrels, and the "liners" are supposedly machined down from Green Mountain blanks. All in all, I'm really happy with it, it is very light weight, and has turned in several half inch groups at 50 yds (using a crappy 4x scope, and Remington subs of all things).

In addition to the barrel, the rest of the build is:

Hogue light weight OD Green stock (not the best for precision, but good enough for my uses, and very light)
Power Custom Hammer
auto bolt release
Yellow jacket buffer

The rifle was a gift from my father (my first rifle) but if I had bought it, I would say I'd probably have around $500 in the gun.

By the way, have you cruised rimfirecentral.com? There is a wealth of information on 10/22 builds of all kinds there.

Edit: Someone on here a couple days ago mentioned that MOA guns sells a stainless steel 10/22 receiver A la carte. If you do a build and aren't worried about weight, that may well be a good route to go, I think they are only about $180.

coolluke01
January 23, 2013, 10:57 PM
I could save a bunch by getting a cheaper scope and stock. The barreled action is $1100.
I looked at MOA receivers. But then you need a bolt and trigger group. Those are around $300. Are threaded receivers that much better? Or will the ruger receiver work just as well?
A friend of mine claims he used to shoot 1/4" groups at 50 yards with a stock 10/22 target. Is that really possible? I didn't think they were that accurate.

gazpacho
January 24, 2013, 05:13 AM
I built my ultimate 10/22 using a stainless steel VQ receiver. The rifle is completely sweet. When I was making my choices, I went against a complete VQ rifle because I think their complete rifles are over priced and limited in options.

Over the years, I have been underwhelmed with VQs customer service. Not upset, just underwhelmed.

jehu
January 24, 2013, 07:56 AM
In the late 90's I bought 2 Volquartsen 22mag rifles with carbon fiber barrels and 1 22lr with carbon fiber barrel all with Macmillan stocks. The main one I used has had thousands of rounds ,22mag, thru it shooting Nutria out of a boat in the marsh and ground Hogs, Foxes and other varmints. The rifle has been hunted with in hard harsh conditions and has worked flawlessly if cleaned after every hunt.So I would say pend the $$ and get the Volquartsen. Building up a 10/22 can produce a good rifle but the Volqartsen's are very accurate.

hueyville
January 24, 2013, 08:13 AM
I own a myriad of 10/22's. Some box stock, some self accessorized and one purpose built by a recognized company/person. One of my self built shoots as well as the purpose built but I have within pennies of the same dollars and a full machine shop for specific tasks. For the money best one I have is a Ruger factory 10/22T with its hammer forged barrel. I replaced operating handle, firing pin, mag release and trigger group with Power Custom titanium parts kit. Unless on sandbags with its preferred ammo, not much difference between it and my full bore customs. The squirrels definitely see no difference.

coolluke01
January 24, 2013, 10:51 AM
What about stocks? I can get the VQ with a stock installed for $305. The cheapest stock I've found are $154 + shipping $20? $175. Other stocks are around $200-250. Is it a difficult thing to fit a stock to the VQ receiver? What about bedding? The main thing is that having never done one, I don't want to compromise anything by experimenting with this one.

I've been rethinking the scopes. I don't see any need to have a high priced scope on a .22. A cheap scope will hold up well on a .22. I have a lead on a Barska 6x24x44 scope for $125. Will I be able to see .22 holes at 100 yards with this?

Picher
January 24, 2013, 11:58 AM
I'm somewhat known for my "Tips and Tricks" on 10-22s, which are still posted on RimfireCentral.com "Tips and Tricks" forum. They're based on tips gathered from some guys and things I discovered while improving mine. Since writing them, so many great stocks, barrels, triggers, and other after-market parts have become available.

My 10-22 was the test-bed for many ideas, trial and error tricks, and ultimately, one of the most accurate semi-auto .22 rifles I've seen.

The problems I see with getting a Volquartsen are:

1. They cost about $1,500 more than necessary to have an excellent shooter;
2. They cost so much that you don't dare to customize them further;
3. The 10-22 is a work in progress that can be modified as one can afford, or can understand how to do it. It doesn't have to shoot 3/8" groups the first time out, since you can have fun with it out of the box and develop it as you wish.
4. I've had great results by doing bedding jobs, headspace reduction, firing pin nose re-shaping, trigger work, deepening the bolt staking, and fitting the operating handle loosely in the bolt slot (my discovery that eliminates first-shot flyers).

My suggestion for those who want an accurate rifle, but don't want to sell the farm to buy one, is to buy a Ruger 10-22T, since the stock and barrel are often good enough for great accuracy, after a few modifications as described in the Tips and Tricks mentioned above.

John Picher

coolluke01
January 24, 2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

After totaling up the cost of all the things I had to have and then compare that to the VQ cost, I decided to go with the VQ. I like the idea that it's "perfect" out of the box and I don't have to modify it. Some day I may build one though.

I found a Lightweight that someone had in stock and put it on layaway. With a 1 to 2 year wait from the factory, finding one in stock is great! All I need to do now is sell my Double Eagle Gold Coin...

PGT
January 24, 2013, 01:38 PM
did you look at pricing for the full Kidd?

coolluke01
January 24, 2013, 01:44 PM
Yeah I ended up with $1136 and a 12 week lead time. This VQ i'm getting has the carbon fiber barrel which will be really nice. All for $1346.00

DoubleTapDrew
January 24, 2013, 05:13 PM
They are probably worth it but I really enjoyed building mine and seeing what it could do.

Rembrandt
January 24, 2013, 05:19 PM
Have a couple Volquartsen barreled 10-22's.....one was built by Tom himself before he began doing his own receivers. They are absolutely tack drivers.....in fact we regularly shoot flies with them at 100 yards. One minor thing I don't care for on the Volquartsen is the squared off trigger guard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/heston2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/heston1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/VoquartsenSniper.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/10-22f.jpg

coolluke01
January 24, 2013, 06:56 PM
The gun I'm getting is coming with a hogue stock. I would like a laminated wood thumbhole. I have been reading about bedding, thanks to John. What stocks work best for standing and bench rest? Does the location of the thumbhole differ? Also what would be the best stock for bedding? i.e. closest tolerances and best free float for ends.

egg250
January 24, 2013, 07:04 PM
$2400 for a .22 rimfire? My gosh. I'd recommend acquiring a unmodified rifle and make modifications yourself. It won't take you any longer than some of the wait times some people have indicated, will likely be cheaper in the long run and the knowledge you will gain in the process will be priceless.

coolluke01
January 24, 2013, 07:07 PM
Yeah, that included a $950 scope.

Deer_Freak
January 25, 2013, 05:13 AM
It really depends on the use of the rifle. I can take a 10/22 right out of the box and mount a 4x fixed power scope on it and take any type small game as effectively as any 22 rifle, bar none. If you want something special for plinking it's your money buy what you want. Most competitions are iron sight affairs. Keep that in mind before plunking down a bunch of money.

coolluke01
January 29, 2013, 11:46 PM
I called nearly all the dealers VQ had listed only to find one gun in stock! Everyone has been waiting for over a year, some two years for orders to come in. I'm so glad I found one in stock!
I'm getting the VQ lightweight. It has the carbon fiber tensioned barrel. It will be here at the end of the week!

Sorry the pic it so huge. Does anyone know if they come with mags?

http://gastatic.com/UserImages/2310/985189903/wm_4665173.jpg

coolluke01
February 2, 2013, 12:08 AM
I went out shooting a little yesterday in my backyard. I was able to get several groups that were able to be covered by a dime and a 3 round single hole! First time I've ever had a gun capable of that.

To night I went to the indoor range and at 50 feet was able to keep all 10 rounds in a single hole. This was all done with cheap Federal 40 gr lead nose.

I can't wait to stretch it out and see what it can do.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=178896&stc=1&d=1359781442

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=178897&stc=1&d=1359781648

jehu
February 2, 2013, 09:10 AM
You chose wisely!!:rolleyes:

hueyville
February 3, 2013, 04:51 PM
Egg250, I have two self built custom 10/22's that were brought to me on Thursday. I seem to be getting one or two per month in same condition as these. Guys read the advertisements in magazines, go to websites then order a bunch of "drop in" parts. They spend a while getting it all together and the rifle quite often does not shoot much better or at all. I saw same phenomenon back in the 1980's with the.proliferation of slapped together .45 comp guns for IPSC. Saw guns locked up, run off full auto and all kinds of crap as the guys were trying to get in the game without building a relationship with a good smith. My 1911 style triggers are all done by same guy for 25 years. He does nothing but pistols, mainly 1911's every day for decades. How does someone who has never built a gun order a mismash of parts, drop them in a gun and have a gun that will shoot anywhere as well as a well known pro does? Do you know how to tighten a receiver then fit the bolt or slide to it? To even build a 10/22 right some machine shop equipment, specialized tools and knowledge is needed.

Had a guy bring me a 10/22 who bought an off the shelf complete match trigger. Just open the package drop in and shoot. He was not satisfied with it from day one and it was a 250 complete trigger group. He brought me his rifle with all the original parts. I took his original trigger group, added my preferred aftermarket parts (some fitting required) put it back together and man was 110% pleased. Didn't even want his 250.00 plastic trigger back. One of the rifles took down last night scope mount screw was too long and binding the bolt. I did a little bit additional autopsy and discovered the barrel clamp screws were 8 ft/lbs different in tension. I called the owner and asked him what he torqued them to and he said just till felt tight as he had no torque wrench. So can a man do it himself with drop in parts? Yes. But it requires some specific tools that if your not willing to buy, you will not get a precision rifle consistently. Then if you buy the tools, it will cost you more than buying a pre built rifle. I only do 10/22's for friends. I have a machine shop and can do most anything smith related but that said, my best 10/22 was built by a well known smith. My pistols all go to a very good pistol guy and rifles go to a bench rest rifle builder. If you can't afford to buy a bunch of parts to find out your not satisfied with final product. Think hard before.you spend half the price of a good rifle on parts.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Volquartsen's worth it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!