A question of style

PDA

Spec ops Grunt
January 24, 2013, 03:12 AM
Would you rather have one of Case.'s knives in stainless with abalone or pearl grips, or a Damascus Case with stag handles?

Also has anyone else found it impossible to sharpen case stainless? I've spent hours on my sharp maker and it's still dull while my cv blades are super quick to push cut hair.

If you enjoyed reading about "A question of style" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
January 24, 2013, 08:25 AM
Is there a third choice? Will this be a user, or just to collect?

Piraticalbob
January 24, 2013, 08:47 AM
The abalone if you're collecting, the stag if you want a user. And stag/damascus I'd call a "Sunday-go-to-meeting" sort of knife, or a barbecue knife, whichever term is used in your neighborhood.

The chromium that makes a steel stainless also makes it more difficult to sharpen.

Spec ops Grunt
January 24, 2013, 12:21 PM
I'd use it I think

@jshirley, if you have something else in mind you want to recommend, go right on ahead.

bikerdoc
January 24, 2013, 03:08 PM
I vote stag.

I know you know how to sharpen but reread the sharpening sticky at the top of the forum, I suspect you need an angle adjustment and/or a secondary bevel.
Just my .02

Spec ops Grunt
January 24, 2013, 03:30 PM
One of my current favorite knives is a 1950s ulster Boy Scout Kamp King pattern knife, its really comfortable and fills out my hand well. Would a cigar whittler be like that in feel?

Spec ops Grunt
January 25, 2013, 11:36 PM
Who else makes really good traditional pattern knives anymore? Also tips for scrounging up classics? just check pawnshops?

tdstout
January 26, 2013, 01:33 AM
Stag all the way for me. I never have warmed up to abalone. I've never had a Damascus case knife, I'm partial to chrome vanadium

Piraticalbob
January 26, 2013, 04:35 AM
Who else makes really good traditional pattern knives anymore? Also tips for scrounging up classics? just check pawnshops?
Canal Street Cutlery, Queen Cutlery, Schatt & Morgan.

stan rose
January 26, 2013, 07:31 AM
Some of the nicest traditional pattern folders are from Great Eastern Cutlery. They have three lines GEC, uses stainless, while Northfield and Tiduote use 1095. GREAT knives I own several, and have been very happy with all. Good luck.

jeepnik
January 26, 2013, 12:23 PM
The "stainless" that Case uses is on the "softer" side. Taking an edge and holding it are, on these knives, secondary to corrosion resistance. Sort of like the older Swiss Army knives.

You didn't mention a price limitation, so I'd recommend one of these. They are stylish and tough as all get out.

http://www.chrisreeve.com/mnandiinlays.htm

If you really want something that looks good, consider one in Damascus.

HighExpert
January 27, 2013, 01:33 AM
I had several "difficult" to sharpen knives and found the solution. The WorkSharp power sharpener. I am pretty good at putting an edge on a knife with either an Arkansas stone or a Gerber diamond hone. This tool makes my efforts look feeble. It puts an honest to god factory edge on just about anything QUiCK. It used abrasive belts in various grits to do it. Check out the videos on line.

If you enjoyed reading about "A question of style" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!