Dianne Feinstein to Propose New Ban On So-Called "Assault Weapons" Today at 11am EDT

PDA

Justin
January 24, 2013, 10:10 AM
http://www.c-span.org/Events/Senators-Announce-Gun-Control-Legislation/10737437544/

Archived video link: http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/310581-1

If you enjoyed reading about "Dianne Feinstein to Propose New Ban On So-Called "Assault Weapons" Today at 11am EDT" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MErl
January 24, 2013, 10:15 AM
The bill is known as The Assault Weapons Ban of 2013.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY), Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL), Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) and Rep. Ed Perlmutter (D-CO) are the members of Congress that will participate in the announcement.

They will be joined by Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey and The Very Reverend Gary R. Hall of the Washington National Cathedral, along with other law enforcement officers, members of gun safety organizations and doctor and teacher organizations, and victims of gun violence.

given the list of people there, this is a one sided press release which is not worth watching.

Ryanxia
January 24, 2013, 10:21 AM
From the link, looks more like a news conference than a debate. Still might be worth watching to see what actually was included in the Bill.

Husker_Fan
January 24, 2013, 10:27 AM
I doubt you'll see a floor debate anytime soon. This will be referred to committee where it may die a slow death, even in the D controlled Senate.

The committee may pass it out to appease the anti-gun folks, but I don't see this getting a floor vote.

Westfair
January 24, 2013, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure I have enough blood pressure medication for it.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 24, 2013, 11:59 AM
This is apparently where you can stream it:

http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN3/

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 12:02 PM
Wait a minute...I don't pay too much attention to the other senators (I'll be honest), but the list is all democrat, from California, Illinois, New York, Connecticut, and Colorado?

That's more one-sided than a mobius strip.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 24, 2013, 12:05 PM
The list is those announcing the bill. This doesn't appear to be a debate, just the bill annoucement.

It's starting right now.

They have a wall full of scary looking guns.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 24, 2013, 12:13 PM
Feinstein introduced all the people supporting it.

Now, some preacher is telling us these are middle of the road and common sense measures.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 24, 2013, 12:14 PM
Now, Feinstein is rambling about holding at the hip and spray-firing. You'd think after 20 years of crusading against these things, she'd at least learn how to someone shoots one.

primalmu
January 24, 2013, 12:14 PM
Assault weapons are apparently intended to hold from the hip and spray fire everywhere. Someone has been watching too many movies...

miller.lyte
January 24, 2013, 12:15 PM
She doesn't seem to realize 99% of the shooting sites she keeps mentioning were gun-free zones.

Oh this is going to be good. :rolleyes:

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 12:15 PM
They are middle-of-the-road. They're between what the senators think they'll get and what they want.

Am I the only person here, who sees an anti ad with a wall of AR-15s, and thinks "I wish I could afford those..."

primalmu
January 24, 2013, 12:16 PM
Did she just say Slide Iron stock?

radiotom
January 24, 2013, 12:16 PM
Not the bump stocks!!!!! :cuss:

Trent
January 24, 2013, 12:17 PM
Whoops, just saw this Jorg. Sorry about starting another thread on it. :(

JBrady555
January 24, 2013, 12:18 PM
Feinstein looks evil, lol

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 24, 2013, 12:19 PM
Here's the legislation Feinstein mentioned

Prohibiting 158 specifically-named models. (She is claming they are more powerful and more dangerous than in 1994)

Banning semis with 1 military characteristic.

Ban "slide-iron" [slide-fire, I assume] stock, thumbhole stocks, bullet button

Fixed magazines over 10 rounds

Import ban on assault weapons and hi-cap mags

No sunset

Will not affect hunting and sporting firearms, protecting 2200 named weapons

RockyTop
January 24, 2013, 12:20 PM
2nd Amendment wasn't about hunting or sporting. This bill is unconstitutional.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 24, 2013, 12:21 PM
Now McCarthy is rambling as usual. You aren't getting a blow-by-blow on her nonsense. Sorry.

She is going on about 3 and 5 round limits for hunters.

RockyTop
January 24, 2013, 12:22 PM
McCarthy talking about duck and deer hunting....as if that's relevant to our rights.

JBrady555
January 24, 2013, 12:22 PM
It's not even going to make it out of the senate. They need to quit putting words in NRA members mouths.

miller.lyte
January 24, 2013, 12:24 PM
When she mentions their viewpoint, it's all about safety.

When she talks about our rights, she only mentions hunting.

If they're not in the stores they can't be bought -- oh really McCarthy? Really? She should just stick to the script..

Trent
January 24, 2013, 12:24 PM
McCarthy is rambling and drifting all over the place.

RCArms.com
January 24, 2013, 12:27 PM
Sometimes I wonder if our honorable senators and representatives that are in their golden years ought to be subjected to regular testing to ensure that they are in complete control of their mental facilities.

GlockFan
January 24, 2013, 12:29 PM
Great now it is my guy Durbin...

Trent
January 24, 2013, 12:30 PM
On behalf of Illinois, I'd like to say Durbin doesn't speak for all of us.....

GlockFan
The children the children!!!

Skribs
While I agree we need to point out that 2A isn't about hunting or sporting purposes...we also need to be pointing out that ARs are great for hunting AND sporting purposes.

Ryanxia
January 24, 2013, 12:32 PM
That's very true RCArms, wasn't it less than 2 years after Sullivan passed the Sullivan act that he was committed to a mental hospital? Not to mention for a simple public servant he made millions (couldn't have been from illegal activities or anything).

Looking forward to more info from this speech. Can't stream it right now.

miller.lyte
January 24, 2013, 12:32 PM
I think it is time our side gets to have a news conference as well. This is going too far. They are spreading misinformation like aids in africa.

radiotom
January 24, 2013, 12:33 PM
Divide and conquer....hunters and sportsman join us!

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 24, 2013, 12:33 PM
Durbin is calling on Fudds to stand up to the NRA and declare that these guns aren't needed for hunting and target shooting.

GlockFan
January 24, 2013, 12:34 PM
Schu-maaaaa

radiotom
January 24, 2013, 12:34 PM
lol he admitted they've been waiting to do this. "Talked about it every month" since 2004.

GlockFan
January 24, 2013, 12:35 PM
How long have all these people been in office...like decades for all of them

miller.lyte
January 24, 2013, 12:35 PM
Now he's talking about how the AWB of 94 made a large dent in gun crime....

somebody please educate these lying fools.

GlockFan
January 24, 2013, 12:38 PM
He claims the 1994 weakened AWB saved many many lives

Prophet
January 24, 2013, 12:39 PM
Charles Schumer; "These firearms aren't used for self defense." and "The 90's ban saved lives", but no data presented. :banghead:

Gun control is so '90s.

.455_Hunter
January 24, 2013, 12:40 PM
I am glad to see that MY representative (Perlmutter) is standing tall... :barf::mad::fire::cuss::banghead:

radiotom
January 24, 2013, 12:40 PM
Yeah the hunting rifle you people love so much would pierce body armor worse than the AR-15. :banghead:

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 12:41 PM
The problem is a lot of people believe these politicians when they say things like this.

Jorg Nysgerrig
Blumenthal saying that the police claim that they are powerless to stop someone with an assault weapon.

GlockFan
The poor kids are being used as pawns over and over

Prophet
January 24, 2013, 12:42 PM
Blumenthal says that law enforcement officers say they could not have stopped a shooter armed with a semi-automatic weapon.

edit; Jorg beat me to it.

RCArms.com
January 24, 2013, 12:42 PM
My daughter uses an AR 15 to hunt deer with me.

Lightweight
Adjustable stock
Powerful enough for deer
Accurate
Reliable

These politicians are out of touch with their constitutients and are solely in it for power, elitism, and money. I'm tired of having 536 individuals (some of which I believe are suffering from mental illness) waste money and pass legislation that affect 300+ million citizens.

Pelosi and her ilk really ought to lay off the whole "Gun Ban Agenda" and actually get onto something that's important and long overdue, like a BUDGET.

miller.lyte
January 24, 2013, 12:43 PM
Anyone keeping track of how many sources were cited in their speeches? So far I'm at zero.

morcey2
Blumenthal saying that the police claim that they are powerless to stop someone with an assault weapon.
Doesn't that mean that if the police have "assault weapons", no bad guy stands a chance? Or does it get into an immovable object/irresistible force paradox and the weapons won't stop firing until everyone on earth is dead?

GlockFan
Wants background checks to buy ammo

gunslinger15
January 24, 2013, 12:44 PM
Im about to lose my mind. Criminals will still buy and sell illegaly.......... thats how they do it now you morons. Blood pressure rising.

radiotom
January 24, 2013, 12:46 PM
Never before have I seen the left use emotion so much to push legislation.

gunslinger15
January 24, 2013, 12:47 PM
Just keep dancing on the graves of those children in the name of safety. Im so sick of this.

mbt2001
January 24, 2013, 12:49 PM
They THINK THEY CAN WIN!

Their track records indicate that they will, from a percentage perspective. Obama and his machine are not like other administrations. Their track record is very high.

Skribs
Wait a minute. If police can't stop someone with an "assault weapon", how do you explain that every madman with such weapon is stopped by the police? I thought the anti rhetoric was that police stop these guys, civilians don't? (In gun free zones, this is true).

GlockFan
The witch is back

browneu
January 24, 2013, 12:50 PM
They THINK THEY CAN WIN!

Their track records indicate that they will, from a percentage perspective. Obama and his machine are not like other administrations. Their track record is very high.

Very true.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

GlockFan
January 24, 2013, 12:54 PM
This fool just said "our rights are being taken away by gun violence". And "we don't want to trample on the 2nd amendment"

RetiredUSNChief
January 24, 2013, 12:56 PM
That's more one-sided than a mobius strip.

I wonder how many people will understand that reference?

At any rate, I've never heard this one before. Mind if I borrow it occasionally?

:)

morcey2
January 24, 2013, 12:56 PM
This fool just said "our rights are being taken away by gun violence". And "we don't want to trample on the 2nd amendment"
That's because "trample" doesn't even begin to cover what they want to do to the 2nd amendment.

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 12:58 PM
Feel free to use it, USNChief.

hso
January 24, 2013, 12:58 PM
The OP has characterized this incorrectly. As pointed out it is the dog and pony show so they can get national news coverage and sell their BS first.
Senators Announce Gun Control Legislation

Washington, DC
Thursday, January 24, 2013

A group of Democratic Senators and Representatives, joined by local officials and members of gun safety organizations, hold a news conference to announce a bill that would outlaw military-style rifles and high-capacity ammunition magazines.

The bill is known as The Assault Weapons Ban of 2013.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY), Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL), Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) and Rep. Ed Perlmutter (D-CO) are the members of Congress that participate in the announcement.

They are joined by Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey and The Very Reverend Gary R. Hall of the Washington National Cathedral, along with other law enforcement officers, members of gun safety organizations and doctor and teacher organizations, and victims of gun violence.

Updated: 40 min. ago

pty101
January 24, 2013, 01:01 PM
:banghead: I could only watch it for so long. :barf: Well at least I have time to write my congressmen again

GlockFan
January 24, 2013, 01:02 PM
Weapons of Mass Destruction, great a new way to call my AR15.

RetiredUSNChief
January 24, 2013, 01:02 PM
OMG!

Now "WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION" are being cut loose on our streets!

WHO HAS ALL THESE NUCLEAR, CHEMICAL, AND BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION?

:fire::banghead:

mbt2001
January 24, 2013, 01:03 PM
This is not going to die in committee and do not believe that the courts will strike it down.

The Senate / House / Obama himself have often said "OH it won't pass" / "we will not vote for it" / "I will not sign it" ---- guess what? They did. Do not fall for the scams or the optimism.

racenutz
January 24, 2013, 01:03 PM
Either he's counting 10 shot magazines as high capacity or Mayor Michael Nutter just lied his ass off about the VA Tech shooting.

GlockFan
January 24, 2013, 01:05 PM
I want these people to tell me exactly how many assault weapons were used in the deaths of over 500 people in Chicago.

Uncle Richard
January 24, 2013, 01:07 PM
They are middle-of-the-road. They're between what the senators think they'll get and what they want.

Am I the only person here, who sees an anti ad with a wall of AR-15s, and thinks "I wish I could afford those..."
....lol..... your not the only one. I'm refuse to pay these inflated prices.

GlockFan
January 24, 2013, 01:10 PM
They must have a close door meeting and discuss how many times each of them will use the word children.

miller.lyte
January 24, 2013, 01:11 PM
I don't know much about guns... blah blah...

look at these scary evil black rifles, someone tell me why you need one blah blah.

this guy is off the rails.

GlockFan
January 24, 2013, 01:12 PM
"This is just a start"...... Interesting.

GlockFan
January 24, 2013, 01:13 PM
Now they are using families of the killed to promote their agenda.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 24, 2013, 01:13 PM
The Police Commissioner tipped their hand a bit more than expected by calling for registration and saying this was just the start.

GlockFan
January 24, 2013, 01:16 PM
No surprising they say not a word about how many people are saved by guns everyday. These people make me sick.

GlockFan
January 24, 2013, 01:22 PM
I want to know what guns were used in all these murders. Id bet they were not assault weapons.

wojownik
January 24, 2013, 01:23 PM
Feinstein is calling on the people to "rise up", make their voices heard, and contact their legislators.

We need to continue to do the same.

At least she has acknowledged how much and uphill battle it will be to get her bill passed.

mrvco
January 24, 2013, 01:27 PM
The list:

http://dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Feinstein-Weapons-Ban-e1359047805173.jpg

And am I correct in assuming that they mean ALL "AK" and "AR" types... not just the ones on the list?

jamesbeat
January 24, 2013, 01:30 PM
How are they allowed to get away with lying like this?
Is there no accountability? No discussion from the other side of the argument or firearms experts?
How can they say that they know very little about firearms, and in the next breath spout 'facts' about them?
They seem to be relying heavily on the First Amendment, shame they have so little respect for the Second.

inclinebench
January 24, 2013, 01:31 PM
I was especially impressed that a liberal who shuns any form of religion in politics, has enlisted a clergyman from the national cathedral to open with a prayer in an attempt to bring Christianity onto their side. Is there nothing she wont do?

JohnnyK
January 24, 2013, 01:34 PM
howd feinstein get my wishlist?

jamesbeat
January 24, 2013, 01:35 PM
What a manipulative hypocrite.

inclinebench
January 24, 2013, 01:35 PM
Also, by these Dems calling rifles "Weapons of mass destruction", didn't they just totally prove that Bush was right and Iraq had weapons of mass destruction?

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 01:36 PM
I like how the Barrett M82 and the FN FAL are "AR types".

Banning the AR-15 and AK platform would pretty much spark civil war. I'm not calling for insurrection or warcries, but it's plain and simple that if you take the two most popular rifles in the country and make it illegal, everyone with those rifles will be mad.

Noticed the M-14/M1A is not listed, neither is SKS.

Shotguns, they're pretty much looking at Saiga-12. I wonder how they feel about the three high-cap tube-fed shotguns (the Kel-Tec, the other one like Kel-Tec, and the one with the rotating tubes) or the Saiga 20/410.

The sad thing is these weapons, especially the pistols mentioned, are rarely used in crime, but are all (well...again, except for the pistols) very good tools for fighting crime.

berettaprofessor
January 24, 2013, 01:36 PM
Hmmm...AR15 22LR is specifically on the list....but Ruger's SR22 rilfe is not. And does the S&W M&P 15 exclusion include the 15-22, or leave it out?

Ranch Mini-14 is not on the list. Nor is any 10-22 as near as I can see. What a crock of HS.

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 01:37 PM
Also, by these Dems calling rifles "Weapons of mass destruction", didn't they just totally prove that Bush was right and Iraq had weapons of mass destruction?

LOL!

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 24, 2013, 01:40 PM
My takeaway from this, is that Feinstein and McCarthy appeared completely out of touch with that they are discussing. I can't say whether the references to hip-firing and duck hunting were merely political theater or if they actually believe such things. I don't discount the latter as I think that they really don't know much about firearms.

Unfortunately, this relfects the beliefs of many people who don't know much about guns. Education is key in showing the folly of such beliefs.

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 01:40 PM
Just curious, couldn't companies come up with new names for their product? i.e. S&W could rename their rifles the Modern Musket (or MM-15) and suddenly it's not banned.

I also wonder how many companies will "accidentally" include 10-round big-bore AR-15 magazines with their .223 version. (I can't remember which of the "big" 3, .450 bushmaster, .458 socom, and .50 beowulf uses AR-mags as single-stack mags). Hey, they're 10-round magazines!

(Although I guess they might pull the same tactic they did in New York, i.e. you can have 10 loaded).

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 24, 2013, 01:41 PM
Just curious, couldn't companies come up with new names for their product? i.e. S&W could rename their rifles the Modern Musket (or MM-15) and suddenly it's not banned.
This is why they have the secondary definition using the feature test.

I also wonder how many companies will "accidentally" include 10-round big-bore AR-15 magazines with their .223 version
At the risk of fines, imprisonment and losing their FFL? Probably zero.

mrvco
January 24, 2013, 01:42 PM
I like how the Barrett M82 and the FN FAL are "AR types".

Banning the AR-15 and AK platform would pretty much spark civil war. I'm not calling for insurrection or warcries, but it's plain and simple that if you take the two most popular rifles in the country and make it illegal, everyone with those rifles will be mad.

Noticed the M-14/M1A is not listed, neither is SKS.

Shotguns, they're pretty much looking at Saiga-12. I wonder how they feel about the three high-cap tube-fed shotguns (the Kel-Tec, the other one like Kel-Tec, and the one with the rotating tubes) or the Saiga 20/410.

The sad thing is these weapons, especially the pistols mentioned, are rarely used in crime, but are all (well...again, except for the pistols) very good tools for fighting crime.
I'm guessing that the list of specific models is just to give you some examples...

What I believe that they mean by "All AK Types..." and "All AR Types..." is ALL <PERIOD>.

The M1A is an interesting example since other than having a detachable mag, it doesn't have a pistol grip or telescoping stock and does not rank any higher on the "OMG SCARY" scale than most any "hunting" rifle to the layperson. (except maybe for the SOCOM II w/ the black (ie scary) quad rails)

Jesse 8
January 24, 2013, 01:42 PM
howd feinstein get my wishlist?

Big sis is always watching....

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 01:47 PM
At the risk of fines, imprisonment and losing their FFL? Probably zero.

Well then I wonder if Magpul will just start putting out 10-round PMAGs for a big-bore caliber. Unless the feds want to ban that entire cartridge, they wouldn't be able to stop the sale and production.

The "only X amount loaded" clause could still apply though.

I wonder what companies outside the US, like Sig, HK, et al. think of this. Forcing them to use thumbhole stocks just made them do a bit of R&D. Banning their product entirely means a loss of revenue for the company. I know they aren't U.S. citizens, but we have the biggest gun market, and it would really hurt those companies.

berettaprofessor
January 24, 2013, 01:50 PM
and it would really hurt those companies

Then they, and all their employees as well as their marketing outlets, are all on our side of the lobbying factions!

breakingcontact
January 24, 2013, 01:54 PM
458 SOCOM FTW

Nor is any 10-22 as near as I can see.

10/22 with a pistol grip or thumbhole stock would be a no go.

Plus, whenever we see any sort of list, we need to recoil at the whole thing, not check to see if what we have or want is on it.

Otherwise, eventually, there will be a list, with what you have or want on it.

Eventually, there will be a list with guns and names, then in the end, just a list of names.

mrvco
January 24, 2013, 01:56 PM
Well then I wonder if Magpul will just start putting out 10-round PMAGs for a big-bore caliber. Unless the feds want to ban that entire cartridge, they wouldn't be able to stop the sale and production.

The "only X amount loaded" clause could still apply though.

I wonder what companies outside the US, like Sig, HK, et al. think of this. Forcing them to use thumbhole stocks just made them do a bit of R&D. Banning their product entirely means a loss of revenue for the company. I know they aren't U.S. citizens, but we have the biggest gun market, and it would really hurt those companies.
I expect that they would start manufacturing AR and AK rifles w/ no pistol grip or telescoping stock and throw a 10-round magazine in the box.

I would also assume that these "new" models would be modular so you could easily replace the furniture as well as still accepting pre-ban mags.

It's '94 all over again... We're not any "SAFER", but we certainly do "FEEL" better.

Justin
January 24, 2013, 02:00 PM
This is apparently where you can stream it:

http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN3/

Ah. Thanks for the correction.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk. Hence all the misspellings and goofy word choices.

pockets
January 24, 2013, 02:01 PM
Nor is any 10-22 as near as I can see.
Ya know, it really is bad when an American proposes banning a .22 rimfire of any kind! The .22 is about as 'American' as firearms can get.

The closest I see to the Ruger 10/22 is the Intratec Tec-22 Scorpion....which uses 10/22 magazines.
Yet no other pistol or rifle is on the list that uses those same magazines...like the Ruger Charger, 10/22, etc.
Oh wait..the Tec-22 is (a) Intratec, (b) black, (c) shaped like a machine pistol, (d) is inherently evil, will sprout legs, and go on a killing rampage.

What a moron DF is. She needs to retire immediately and well....expire. She would not be missed.

Derry 1946
January 24, 2013, 02:06 PM
I wonder how many people will understand that reference? [To the M÷bius strip ]

At any rate, I've never heard this one before. Mind if I borrow it occasionally?

:)

Yeah, I think that's the best line I ever read on a forum.

MachIVshooter
January 24, 2013, 02:08 PM
Sometimes I wonder if our honorable senators and representatives that are in their golden years ought to be subjected to regular testing to ensure that they are in complete control of their mental facilities.

Those in question never were in complete control of their mental faculties.

Doesn't meant they're stupid, though. Intelligent and nutty = DANGEROUS

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 02:17 PM
mrvco, if they include harsher limits on importation of semi-automatic weapons, these companies could be seriously hurt by this legislation.

Derry, thanks for the compliment.

mrvco
January 24, 2013, 02:24 PM
mrvco, if they include harsher limits on importation of semi-automatic weapons, these companies could be seriously hurt by this legislation.

Derry, thanks for the compliment.
I'll be curious to see what is actually in the bill on that topic. If I had to guess, it will be a "domestic assembly" and/or "domestic parts mix" issue... Whatever it is, there will be money involved and it will at least increase the cost of doing business in the US for those companies.

Tom488
January 24, 2013, 02:38 PM
Yet no other pistol or rifle is on the list that uses those same magazines...like the Ruger Charger, 10/22, etc.
You have to remember that this isn't the whole picture... the Charger would fall under the expanded definition of "assault pistol", in that it can accept a magazine outside of it's pistol grip. And the M1As will qualify as an assault rifle, because of either their flash suppressor, or their threaded barrel. Even the CA-compliant M1As with their compensators, instead of flash suppressors, will qualify as an assault rifle under her proposed legislation.

Zoogster
January 24, 2013, 02:40 PM
The M1A is an interesting example since other than having a detachable mag, it doesn't have a pistol grip or telescoping stock and does not rank any higher on the "OMG SCARY" scale than most any "hunting" rifle to the layperson.

It would just be a matter of time before it was amended.

They already started to treat the mini-14 as an 'Assault Weapon' after some years of the last federal AWB being in place and were looking to get rid of it.
I believe some locations started to include it, like the restrictions in Cook County IL.
It became a popular .223 rifle with detachable magazine during the AWB, and so became the next target.
Had the AWB not sunset it would have been amended to include those types of things that had replaced what they were targeting.

They would certainly be back for the M1A if they passed something like this. With all the same arguments they can use for the AR-15. They can say all the things they do about why citizens shouldn't have weapons of war, how the M16/AR15 is meant for the battlefield etc The M1A is after all to the M14 as the AR15 is to the M16.

Some of these definitions are also pretty broad. They say all AR rifles, and then they give many examples of what they consider an AR rifle, including several things that are not AR rifles.
They also seem to ban entire companies.
All thompson rifles? All DPMS 'Tactical' rifles?
So they can't even make a compliant model and are banned by brand name? Or just those models that exist prior to the legislation?
It would be a real mess.
All AR and AK types would seem to give a discretionary power to some authority, presumably ending up with the ATF to determine whether something was or was not an AR or AK.

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 02:52 PM
What about the Fulton Armory EBR? That's an M1A (well they call it M-14) that has all of these detestable features.

Have rails been mentioned as a specific feature? Personally, I would think that any feature we consider to be tacticool would be what they would go after, not just those which sound scary.

I'm also surprised they're not going after all semi-auto shotguns. Why the SPAS-12 and not the Benelli M2-4, Mossberg 930, Remington 1100...I could easily see the anti's saying that pump shotguns are for hunting, doubles are for sports, and semi-autos are only for killing.

mrvco
January 24, 2013, 02:54 PM
Obviously we haven't seen the actual bill yet, but I thought I read somewhere that they were backing off the completely superficial evil characteristics (e.g. bayonet lug, grenade launcher and flash hider) so they could focus on the slightly less superficial evil characteristics (e.g. pistol grips and telescoping stocks).

The Teacher
January 24, 2013, 02:56 PM
Here are some more links to recent "Gun Violence Task Force" public events on C-SPAN. Some of this is definitely worth watching:

Gun Violence Prevention Public Forum (1/10/13) - http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/310301-1

Gun Violence Prevention Public Forum (1/16/13) - http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/310413-1

Congressional Gun Violence Task Force Meeting (1/23/13) - http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/310554-1

Assault Weapons Bill Press Conference (1/24/13) - http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/310581-1

razorback2003
January 24, 2013, 02:56 PM
These worthless politicians by and large have not worked a real job in 20 to 30 years. Make 150 K a year plus living and travel expenses to work a part time job paid for by my dollar. Then on top of it they are protected by us marshals, capital police, or can get a badge and gun issued to them and be 'deputized'.

I believe in term limits and most should not have more than one term.

Pocket Rocket
January 24, 2013, 03:00 PM
Here's the current listing of the Judiciary Committee:

http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/about/members.cfm

With list weighted in favor of anti-gun democrats, is there any chance it will die in committee? Are there any procedures the pro-gun Senators can use to allow it to die in committee?

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 03:05 PM
Razorback, they should have 2 terms: one in congress, one in prison.

Justin
January 24, 2013, 03:31 PM
Obviously we haven't seen the actual bill yet, but I thought I read somewhere that they were backing off the completely superficial evil characteristics (e.g. bayonet lug, grenade launcher and flash hider) so they could focus on the slightly less superficial evil characteristics (e.g. pistol grips and telescoping stocks).

Feinstein's proposal would make a gun illegal if it has one "evil feature" rather than two, like in the previous ban.

Also, she removed flash hiders from the list of "evil features."

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 03:38 PM

Isn't that considered "compromise?"

Justin
January 24, 2013, 03:53 PM
In her world, I suppose it is.

PGT
January 24, 2013, 03:54 PM
An M&P 15-22 is on the list but NOT a Sig 556 rifle? :huh:

I made up this picture as troll bait (hint; same 10/22 with 10rd mag)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/webpics/scaryguns.jpg

breakingcontact
January 24, 2013, 03:56 PM
I dont give a care about her list and I'm not scrambling for ways to get around the guns listed. We need to stand with the NRA and not give up one inch.

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 03:59 PM
My comments about what is and is not on the list wasn't about trying to find a way around it...it was about noticing that some moderately popular items are on there, but a lot of similar items are not.

My comments about trying to get around it are from the perspective (hope it doesn't, but if it does I will...)

PGT, just to clarify...are those both the exact same weapon, just the bottom one has different furniture?

PGT
January 24, 2013, 04:02 PM
My comments about what is and is not on the list wasn't about trying to find a way around it...it was about noticing that some moderately popular items are on there, but a lot of similar items are not.

My comments about trying to get around it are from the perspective (hope it doesn't, but if it does I will...)

PGT, just to clarify...are those both the exact same weapon, just the bottom one has different furniture?
Correct. The top one is a Ruger 10/22RB with 10rd rotary magazine. The bottom is an Archangel Nomad kit for the 10/22 that keeps the entire action but adds the new G36 clone chassis and a full size magazine that uses the rotary feed at the top. (To be fair, there are 25rd versions of the magazine and Archangel has two P/N's....one 10rd and one 25rd. Ruger also sells 25rd magazines so its a draw there.)

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 04:14 PM
Yep. I still say my favorite is my anti coworker commenting on me looking at POF rifles online. The ONLY difference between the "Tactical" and "Hunting/Sniper" models is that the tactical rifle has a full-length quad-rail and the hunting/sniper model has a half-length quad rail. She's fine with people being able to buy the tactical model. "But you mean anyone can just buy a sniper rifle?"

"It only has to do with the length of the accessory rails, and has nothing to do with its effectiveness as a sniper rifle."

"BUT IT SAYS SNIPER!"

PGT
January 24, 2013, 04:20 PM
just tell them you're buying a Remi 700. :neener: They don't need to know its the basis for the M24. :banghead:

loose noose
January 24, 2013, 04:43 PM
Well what can I say Diane Feinstein, and Barbara Boxer are California products that have never had a real job in there whole lifes, what are term limits as far as they are concerned?! But like someone else said with the Obama administration, who cares little if any about the US Constitution, I would not be surprised if the gun ban suceeds.:mad:

rtz
January 24, 2013, 04:43 PM
Is there any way we can go after Feinstein's job and get her removed from office?

mgmorden
January 24, 2013, 04:44 PM
Is there any way we can go after Feinstein's job and get her removed from office?

Convince people to not vote for her next time she's up for reelection.

Fryerpower
January 24, 2013, 04:46 PM
I just sent another round of letters to my rep & senators. Please do the same for yours!

Jim

Outlaw Man
January 24, 2013, 04:48 PM
I also had to laugh at how they recruited a police commissioner who has obviously never hunted anything larger than prairie dogs. No food left? Those 55 grain bullets sure do a number on a 700 pound elk...

thorazine
January 24, 2013, 04:49 PM

It's CA.

They'll keep voting her back in every election.

But she's seventy nine years old so eventually she'll just retire for good... :D

The sooner the better.

19-3Ben
January 24, 2013, 04:59 PM
I'm so conflicted!!! There's a gun that's missing from that list that is likely an oversight on their part. I want to discuss it and the legality of that gun (to confirm that it would not be banned even by secondary definition), but on the other hand, I don't want one of DF's interns reading posts here, seeing that gun listed and getting ideas!!!

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 24, 2013, 05:03 PM
I want to discuss it and the legality of that gun (to confirm that it would not be banned even by secondary definition), but on the other hand, I don't want one of DF's interns reading posts here, seeing that gun listed and getting ideas!!!
Just post the damn thing, it's not like some intern is going to run onto the Senate floor screaming, "WAIT! WAIT! WE MISSED ONE!!!" :rolleyes:

esheato
January 24, 2013, 05:04 PM
disregard

19-3Ben
January 24, 2013, 05:04 PM
Just post the damn thing, it's not like some intern is going to run onto the Senate floor screaming, "WAIT! WAIT! WE MISSED ONE!!!"

I suppose. The SKS-M and SKS-D.

They seem remarkably not naughty by the standards of the proposed AWB, but without expounding too much, we all see why it would make so little sense to ban an AK47 variant and not the SKS-M.

Edit to add: not that the ban makes sense in the first place.

Blackstone
January 24, 2013, 05:07 PM
Isn't that considered "compromise?"
I agree, incredibly generous of DF

JFtheGR8
January 24, 2013, 05:08 PM
We need to literally "take the high road" on this one. Beat them with the facts and let them look like the foolish ones with their emotional rants. They have learned that the media will push their agenda regardless of any facts and we need to call them out on it at every opportunity. Maybe we can get a media accountability act started.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 05:09 PM
JF, that is totally absurd. It goes against the 1st amendment. I don't see how any politician or media outlet can support a cause that goes against the Bill of Rights.

(sarcasm)

mrvco
January 24, 2013, 05:12 PM
Feinstein's proposal would make a gun illegal if it has one "evil feature" rather than two, like in the previous ban.

OK that's what I thought... so that means the M1A has none of the "evil" features.

Alaska444
January 24, 2013, 05:14 PM
Now, Feinstein is rambling about holding at the hip and spray-firing. You'd think after 20 years of crusading against these things, she'd at least learn how to someone shoots one.
Sorry, but review some bump fire videos, that is what you can do with a SA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gICeZJ4TaY

Trent
January 24, 2013, 05:15 PM
Guys, they didn't lump FN* stuff in with AR.

Look at the use of COMMAS and SEMICOLONS.

Semicolons separate TYPES of arms, commas separate examples WITHIN a type of arm.

Geesh. You guys never read a compressed list before?

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 05:16 PM
Ten minutes later on CNN...

"Talks within the bi-partisan group announcing the gun bill were driven to a halt today when an intern burst into the room, out of breath, realizing that they forgot to add the SKS assault rifle and the Springfield M1A and Fulton Armory M14 high-power machine rifles..."

j.kramer
January 24, 2013, 05:17 PM
on cspan right now

they have a board full of evil weapons on display looks like inside of lgs when they had stock

Justin
January 24, 2013, 05:19 PM
Sorry, but review some bump fire videos, that is what you can do with a SA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gICeZJ4TaY

Feinstein has been yammering away about "spray-firing from the hip" for years. Certainly she's been yammering about it for much longer than you could actually find videos of it on YouTube.

Bump-firing is a technique that is completely useless for anything other than turning money into noise.

Furthermore, there's not a single solitary instance that I'm aware of where anyone has bump-fired a rifle during the commission of a crime.

Just because a handful of yokels like to blaze away at a close-range berm once in awhile is not a valid reason to infringe on everyone else's civil rights.

radiotom
So is the registration and fingerprinting and confiscation upon death still in?

PGT
I like the Beretta CX-4 up there. :scrutiny:

http://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_358w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2013/01/24/Interactivity/Images/CROP_Feinstein_guns_358_24.jpg

Trent
January 24, 2013, 05:22 PM
Anyone got a pic of the far right board? I could have swore I saw a streetsweeper up there this morning but can't find a pic of it.

sidheshooter
January 24, 2013, 05:24 PM
they have a board full of evil weapons on display looks like inside of lgs when they had stock

Laconic humor at its best, right there.

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 05:25 PM
Furthermore, there's not a single solitary instance that I'm aware of where anyone has bump-fired a rifle during the commission of a crime.

I'm sure I could probably find a few movies where it's been done ;)

You are right, though. If done safely into a berm, what's the big deal? Personally, I'd rather have someone who is intent on killing mass numbers of people using the least accurate method possible. Might actually save lives. She is trying to legislate marksmanship, which means she wants these people to be restricted to methods more likely to kill more people.

PGT
January 24, 2013, 05:27 PM
Anyone got a pic of the far right board? I could have swore I saw a streetsweeper up there this morning but can't find a pic of it.
http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/17/44/16/4080518/3/628x471.jpg

RCArms.com
January 24, 2013, 05:30 PM
Wow she looks old and evil in the pic above.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
January 24, 2013, 05:30 PM
Do these people actually think that the common-criminal is going to care whether a gun is outlawed or not?

If four thugs break into a law-abiding citizen's home in the middle of the night, each with whatever they want for firepower, how is it that the homeowner has to be restricted to, say, 10 rounds?

Suppose there is a catastrophe and looters are all over the place, I would surely want a 30 round magazine in that scenario, just to save my life and the lives of my loved ones!

Funny thing is, in her younger days, she had a semi-auto pistol and permit she carried for protection. I guess she is more important than the average homeowner.

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 05:36 PM
Friendly, the mentality is that if law-abiding citizens don't have these "assault weapons", then criminals can't steal them from law-abiding citizens.

Ian
January 24, 2013, 05:37 PM
Anyone else notice the Hi-Point carbine being listed by name? Huh.

The pistol bit would ban all the Olympic-style repeating pistols, as they use a mag in front of the trigger.

"Semiauto version of a full auto pistol" would conceivably ban the Broomhandle Mauser and Glock 17.

All semiauto shotguns with 6+ round tube mags are out, plus all semiauto shotguns with detachable mags (so no Saiga 20 or 410, or that new MKA1919 AR-style shotgun)

I'm also curious about the "all semiauto beltfeds" bit. Would be interesting to hear why my semiauto 1919 should be illegal while my fullauto Vickers is fine. :scrutiny:

To the best of my knowledge, there has ever been a crime committed with a semiauto beltfed...

Any idea when the list of exempted make/model guns will be published?

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this bill. They could have had a good chance of passing something incremental, but this thing is way too opportunistic to have a chance.

JFtheGR8
January 24, 2013, 05:42 PM
JF, that is totally absurd. It goes against the 1st amendment. I don't see how any politician or media outlet can support a cause that goes against the Bill of Rights.

(sarcasm)

Yep, exactly. ;-)

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

Blackstone
January 24, 2013, 05:43 PM
Any idea when the list of exempted make/model guns will be published?
Likely to include the PG 47:

http://www.campusgifts.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/u/funtime-potato-gun-375.jpg

Trent
January 24, 2013, 05:44 PM
Has the full text of the bill been introduced yet?

esheato
January 24, 2013, 05:49 PM
I missed the live brief, any links to it on youtube or such?

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 05:49 PM
I'm curious if these people have seen how fast you can fire a pump-action, because there are pump-action shotguns with a very high capacity. Would the semi-auto with the rotating tubes be banned? It only holds 4 per tube. Although they are technically supposed to be detachable.

Factor in a "high cap" ban (which I'm assuming is included) and pretty much every weapon I have except for my Ruger LCP and my pump-action shotgun would be banned. Funny thing is these are my two least-favorite firearms.

Prophet
January 24, 2013, 05:51 PM
Beat them with the facts and let them look like the foolish ones with their emotional rants

Sure, they'll look foolish... to us, and those who think like us. Most people are fickle and given to emotionally-based decisions. That's why, even though we are the logical side of the argument and must present ourselves as such, it can't hurt to make ourselves appear less cold by appealing to the emotionalism of the debate ourselves (sans the ranting, of course).

armoredman
January 24, 2013, 05:53 PM
We certainly live in interesting times.:fire:

Certaindeaf
January 24, 2013, 05:58 PM
Is it for the Condors? I think she is misguided.

Trent
January 24, 2013, 06:04 PM
We certainly live in interesting times.:fire:

And it's only getting MORE interesting.

Cesiumsponge
January 24, 2013, 06:04 PM
Your shotgun becomes an assault weapon when you load it with those mini shotshells with a +2 extension

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 24, 2013, 06:10 PM
I missed the live brief, any links to it on youtube or such? Here is the archived footage:
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/310581-1

mrvco
January 24, 2013, 06:25 PM

Funny thing is, in her younger days, she had a semi-auto pistol and permit she carried for protection. I guess she is more important than the average homeowner.

American Royalty always does.

armoredman
January 24, 2013, 06:27 PM
I understand her carry firearm was a 38 Snub of unknown parentage. Regardless, she is an animal that is more equal than the rest of us.

sonick808
January 24, 2013, 06:31 PM
man, I would really like to augment my collection with the goodies they had at her little show. Every citizen should have the option of a free weapon of their choice from that display as a thank you for paying so many taxes for so long. Channel it through the CMP.

sonick808
January 24, 2013, 06:46 PM
Well, the news out new is that Harry Reid managed to get the proposed "nuclear option" that had been mulled in the senate, cut back to nearly nothing. NO nuclear option will be available to senate democrats to ram-rod gun legislation through the senate.

This is a huge plus for us, as the nuclear option would have been used most certainly almost immediately against any attempt to filibuster a new AWB or anything else along those lines. That would only require 51 votes, which had us in a very nasty spot.

Now, with the filibuster (rightly) preserved, they will need every damn vote to try and rob Americans of their rights.

Great news

jamesbeat
January 24, 2013, 07:33 PM
Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with that term, could you explain what is meant by 'nuclear option'?

Skribs
January 24, 2013, 07:36 PM
I believe it was the option where the Senate can just say "let's not talk about the bill, and go ahead and vote."

Boostedtwo
January 24, 2013, 07:37 PM
In U.S. politics, the "nuclear option" is a filibuster-reform plan for the majority party in the United States Senate to change Senate precedents without a supermajority. This option is said to allow a simple majority to override the rules of the Senate and end a filibuster or other delaying tactic. In contrast, the cloture rule requires a supermajority of 60 votes (out of 100) to end a filibuster. The new interpretation becomes effective, both for the immediate circumstance and as a precedent, if it is upheld by a majority vote.

StrutStopper
January 24, 2013, 07:37 PM
Is it just me, or does Diane Feinstein:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/RIStrutStopper/feinstein_zpsb20c9e07.jpg
Look like Pink Floyd's Mother?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/RIStrutStopper/mother_zps89e76a31.jpg
I wonder if she was the inspiration for the band...

Of course the intent of this post is to show a clearer view of the wall of "assault weapons"

25cschaefer
January 24, 2013, 07:41 PM
Uncanny

kwguy
January 24, 2013, 07:46 PM
Folks, make no mistake. This is war. She has been waiting for this forever, just like the witch waiting for that little dog Toto. Logic, reason, and history are OUR weapons, but they are not hers. Her weapons are emotion and fear. Guess what. Emotion and fear often rule the day. They ARE effective weapons. We must not let this happen. Our legislative process is slow and painstaking for a reason, because our founders KNEW that people are basically emotionally driven. We need to keep this "ponderousness" working to our advantage. Educate, donate, and keep fighting against this fascist junk!

jamesbeat
January 24, 2013, 08:02 PM
In U.S. politics, the "nuclear option" is a filibuster-reform plan for the majority party in the United States Senate to change Senate precedents without a supermajority. This option is said to allow a simple majority to override the rules of the Senate and end a filibuster or other delaying tactic. In contrast, the cloture rule requires a supermajority of 60 votes (out of 100) to end a filibuster. The new interpretation becomes effective, both for the immediate circumstance and as a precedent, if it is upheld by a majority vote.
I see. That's definitely a Good Thing then.

wooly bugger
January 24, 2013, 08:05 PM
"Channel it through the CMP."

Shhhhh! If this becomes widely known, it's dead. Oh the irony of the government selling semi-automatic "killing machines" while simultaneously trying to ban them.

After putting it off for years, I just ordered my M1 Garand in anticipation of the possibility of CMP being shut down.

With Harry Reid backing off support on her idiotic AWB, and even uber-liberal Al Franken dodging the issue, I think this has very little chance of passing. I'm far more worried about the 24 brain dead bills introduced in my home state of NJ.

Habeed
January 24, 2013, 08:10 PM
Can anyone get a look a the full law? One thing I've been wondering about is what this will mean for fifty caliber rifles. 50 cals aren't assault weapons, and they have small magazines by necessity because the rounds are so huge. If anything outguns the cops, it would be one of these.

Heck, for resisting government tyranny it's one of the best tools in the shed, right? .50 rounds will go through most armor, cover, body armor, etc. And the range is excellent - most or all of the world records for sniping were done with BMG 50.

ball3006
January 24, 2013, 08:15 PM
If "they" are calling these rifles "weapons of mass destruction", I guess that Bush was right with respect to Iraq and Saddam......chris3

Habeed
January 24, 2013, 08:19 PM
Ok, just found the full law. OUCH. I'm not at all surprised, both of the Barrett 50 cals are SPECIFICALLY mentioned. Barrett M107A1; Barrett M82A1;

What is NOT mentioned are 50 cals from other manufacturers.

And, in the text of the bill : The legislation excludes the following weapons from the bill: Any firearm manually operated by a bolt, pump, lever or slide action;

The Barrett M95 is NOT mentioned, and appears to be legal. I'm not certain if there's any real effective difference in firepower between the bolt and semi versions for this rifle, with the enormous recoil and the fact that it probably won't take more than 1 shot per target.

Another fact. Ammo magazines have no serial numbers. They are easy to make using 3d printing. In practice it sounds like you could print up a new magazine, or replace the spring on an old one, and use it. How would they ever prove otherwise? (especially if you just kept replacing the spring on a grandfathered 30 round magazine)

esheato
January 24, 2013, 08:21 PM
She's from California. Her last AWB was her test lab, and she's going for broke this time. The scary part is she learned from the last bill what works and what doesn't. Like a fricking velociraptor! She is ensuring she doesn't make the same mistakes as last time: no sunset, no bullet buttons, etc. Scary stuff....

jamesbeat
January 24, 2013, 08:38 PM
No, she hasn't learned from last time.
If she had, she would know that AWB's have absolutely no positive effect on crime whatsoever.

KTXdm9
January 24, 2013, 08:56 PM
She's from California. Her last AWB was her test lab, and she's going for broke this time. The scary part is she learned from the last bill what works and what doesn't. Like a fricking velociraptor! She is ensuring she doesn't make the same mistakes as last time: no sunset, no bullet buttons, etc. Scary stuff....
What exactly "worked" from the last one? It didn't make any noticeable difference on crime.

Boostedtwo
January 24, 2013, 09:04 PM
The 1994 AWB only passed by 1 vote, in today's world we have a lot of ways of communicating with our congressmen, senators, and each other. Back in 1994 the internet wasn't as big, we all can stick together a lot better now a days.

Alaska444
January 24, 2013, 09:06 PM
Feinstein has been yammering away about "spray-firing from the hip" for years. Certainly she's been yammering about it for much longer than you could actually find videos of it on YouTube.

Bump-firing is a technique that is completely useless for anything other than turning money into noise.

Just because a handful of yokels like to blaze away at a close-range berm once in awhile is not a valid reason to infringe on everyone else's civil rights.
Never said it was a reason to infringe the 2A at all. Just sayin, they will use bump fire against us.

blkbrd666
January 24, 2013, 09:07 PM

Well, if they do manage to pass a bunch of ridiculous laws and make half the country instant criminals, at least everyone can wake up the next morning and smile about one thing...$200 NFA taxes won't apply anymore, cuz everybody knows that criminal don't follow the rules. It's a money saver really. :D

Couldn't resist.

charlie echo
January 24, 2013, 09:08 PM
time to up the ante: communicate to the elected and donate to gun rights' groups. Diane Feinstein is the icon of hypocrisy and the dangerous naivetÚ.

hail to our Republic, for our liberties, from Berkeley, CA.

esheato
January 24, 2013, 09:10 PM
What exactly "worked" from the last one? It didn't make any noticeable difference on crime.

Nothing worked.

Maybe I chose the wrong word. I think she realized where she screwed up. She's been waiting for this moment to spring a proper bill on us.

Zombiphobia
January 24, 2013, 09:20 PM
funny, I posted a link to her proposed ban and the thread was closed with a moderator stating something about how we already know about her whacko ideals.

Either way, she's just begging for civil unrest and I hate to say it, but IF any of her whack-nut proposals are passed, I HOPE there is wide-spread civil disobedience and I HOPE things gets really nasty for these civil rights infringing crooks.

I think we( no or very modest criminal histories that don't forbid owning) should start openly carrying everywhere. Show hostility to anyone trying to take it away? Bit much?

I'm tired of being told that I don't need to be armed. And it's always arrogant, self-righteous, ignorant-to-facts butt-heads saying it.:scrutiny:

pittspilot
January 24, 2013, 09:29 PM
Hmmmmmm. News conference was in DC right? Did she get permission, or are we looking at another David Gregory exemption to the DC gun ban?

r1derbike
January 24, 2013, 09:49 PM
I saw a lot of LEOs in the background, who looked like they really didn't want to be there.

PGT
January 24, 2013, 09:59 PM
Hmmmmmm. News conference was in DC right? Did she get permission, or are we looking at another David Gregory exemption to the DC gun ban?
full approval of MPD and US Capitol Police

tulsamal
January 24, 2013, 10:10 PM
I continue to think that the Feinstein bill is merely a negotiating ploy. We need to treat this event like when you are watching a magic show. The magician wants you to watch his flamboyant right hand while his left hand is doing the real work. It's a distraction and a "way out there" place to negotiate from. So that they can appear to be giving in to "reasonable compromise" somewhere down the road.

Granted, it never appears that Feinstein is very smart... but even she would be able to realize her bill would have some chance to pass if she removed some portions. All that no transfer, no sales stuff is death. And I can't believe it would hold up in the Courts in the long run. Making everybody register their guns and magazines with the Feds. Including handguns and shotguns. It's all designed to make us dread the worst case scenario. Get us running around and yelling.

First they will try to make the bill more reasonable. Cut out a bit here and there. That won't work either. So then they will drop down to basically the 94 AWB again. The serious gun control people will put real effort into that one. But that will probably fail as well. Then they will actually pass something like the background check. And then the final reasonable compromise will be to try to ban full capacity magazines.

"How can you stand in the way of this reasonable bill? The people are demanding it and we have moved away from those other bills that you opposed to rigorously. If you compromise with us on this, everything in the future will be a wonderful place where the animals talk and sing to each other!"

We definitely need to explain to people why we stand against the Feinstein bill. But don't let it distract you from the far more likely to be passed bills.

Gregg

gearhead
January 24, 2013, 10:15 PM
funny, I posted a link to her proposed ban and the thread was closed with a moderator stating something about how we already know about her whacko ideals.

Either way, she's just begging for civil unrest and I hate to say it, but IF any of her whack-nut proposals are passed, I HOPE there is wide-spread civil disobedience and I HOPE things gets really nasty for these civil rights infringing crooks.

I think we( no or very modest criminal histories that don't forbid owning) should start openly carrying everywhere. Show hostility to anyone trying to take it away? Bit much?

I'm tired of being told that I don't need to be armed. And it's always arrogant, self-righteous, ignorant-to-facts butt-heads saying it.:scrutiny:
Any civil disobedience should be of an unarmed variety. Forming human shields around houses where previously legal weapons are being confiscated, for example. That's why the Civil Rights movement of the '60s was so effective, it made the government look like storm troopers and those practicing civil disobedience look like saints.

Harold Heffern
January 24, 2013, 10:16 PM
Come on Fienstein, you admitted to packing in "95". Now you got the hypocrite fever, if truth was know, you probably still are. Why don't you people tell what REALLY happen in Conn. Tell us all bout the AR in the trunk of the car.... I use a Rem 870 Express for Turkey Hunting, what's next a slingshot????

shep854
January 24, 2013, 10:21 PM
"The 1994 AWB only passed by 1 vote..."--Boostedtwo

I saw video (from CSPAN) of the vote, and it would make your blood boil. The Speaker, Jim Wright, D-TX held the gavel after time expired, while several Democratic representatives bullied one rep into changing his vote. It also showed Newt Gengrich and other Republican reps shouting at Wright to follow the rules and gavel the vote over.:banghead:
Made MY blood boil...:fire:

RCArms.com
January 24, 2013, 10:57 PM
I wonder if there is a Recall Process for Senators as ALL of them have failed in their Constitutionally mandated task of submitting a budget for over 1,000 days and counting.

shep854
January 24, 2013, 11:06 PM
I know, Johnny. But such blatant contempt and disregard for rules is disgusting.

harrygunner
January 24, 2013, 11:06 PM

The real answer is "no" unless there's a way to bring her up on charges of violating her "Oath of Office" or have her pattern of actions show intent to undermine the Constitution. But, that won't happen.

She embodies the mentality of the Bay Area and Los Angeles county. Thinking in those two areas run counter to most of the rest of California and to rest of the country. But, their numbers overwhelm that state. So, California will always send a senator like her to the Hill.

After she's gone, a Feinstein clone will be found to replace her.

ScrapMetalSlug
January 24, 2013, 11:15 PM
Quote:
The real answer is "no" unless there's a way to bring her up on charges of violating her "Oath of Office" or have her pattern of actions show intent to undermine the Constitution. But, that won't happen.

Ofcourse there is, vote her out:rolleyes:

CookeMonster
January 24, 2013, 11:21 PM

She embodies the mentality of the Bay Area and Los Angeles county. Thinking in those two areas run counter to most of the rest of California and to rest of the country. But, their numbers overwhelm that state. So, California will always send a senator like her to the Hill.

After she's gone, a Feinstein clone will be found to replace her.
My God, I can't wait to leave this state.

I just hope nobody decides to end her senate term with an "assault rifle of mass destruction." If they must, use a bow and arrow.

esheato
January 24, 2013, 11:31 PM
This is the proper bill!?

From her point of view, yes.

harrygunner
January 25, 2013, 12:05 AM
Ofcourse there is, vote her out

You may not have read the rest of my post. The population of California is distributed in a way where the Bay Area and LA county dictate who represents the state. There is no "voting her out". The numbers needed to do that are not there.

Plus, those inclined to vote against her type are leaving. Those liking the Left's agenda are coming into those two areas of the state. I'm not expecting a shift in the state's majority stand.

Alaska444
January 25, 2013, 03:00 AM
Any civil disobedience should be of an unarmed variety. Forming human shields around houses where previously legal weapons are being confiscated, for example. That's why the Civil Rights movement of the '60s was so effective, it made the government look like storm troopers and those practicing civil disobedience look like saints.
Sorry, Jerry Rubin looked like a saint? I don't hold the view of the 1960's demonstrations in the same manner, and yes, I was alive and cognizant during the 1960's. Saints? Sorry, not my understanding of the period of time at all my friend.

http://www.google.com/search?q=jerry+rubin&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=u&rls=en&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3C0CUfKYDeTWigLxqYDIBw&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1287&bih=685#imgrc=xqv2LzVLa4RvSM%3A%3B1ZYrbDKk_4oy1M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.mindspring.com%252F~tngland%252F60s%252Fimages%252FJerryRubin.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.mindspring.com%252F~tngland%252F60s%252FJerryRubin.htm%3B610%3B423

InkEd
January 25, 2013, 03:11 AM
As anyone ever thought to check if that bitter old witch (Feinstein) is mentally 100% capable of properly doing her job? She is in her 70s and a lot of senior citizens are no longer able to do certain things. Perhaps, she needs to be put into an Obamacare nursing home?

wojownik
January 25, 2013, 03:22 AM
full approval of MPD and US Capitol Police

Neither MPD nor the Capitol Police have the authority to overrule the DC Official Code. Of course, nothing will come of it.

However, it might be nice if the Senate Select Committee on Ethics took a hard look at the transport and display of firearms, at the behest of Sen. Feinstein's office, in possible violation of DC Code. Not that would happen either, especially since that Committee is chaired by Barbara "Dumb-as-a-Box-of-Rocks" Boxer.

BHP FAN
January 25, 2013, 03:31 AM
http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

InkEd
January 25, 2013, 03:41 AM
The more I think about all this stuff the more annoyed it makes me. The utter morons are beckoning a real monster. Prohibition does NOT work. It only makes people want rhings even more than before when they were legal. Can you say.....black market firearms? Not a problem that needs to be started up in the US, especially in these uncertain times.

shep854
January 25, 2013, 08:50 AM
No, 'they' are not idiots; though there are lots of idiots willingly serving the Leftist agenda. The actual facilitators have a clear goal; disarmament and control; if 'a few' are injured or killed, it's for the Greater Good. They are also patient; if there's a setback, they just keep on working. When they score a victory, they don't congratulate themselves and go home; they keep grinding away.
That's a lesson WE need to take to heart; even after we beat this latest attack back, we need to keep educating and pressing our case! Make THEM compromise with US, then push some more!!

RCArms.com
January 25, 2013, 10:24 AM
As anyone ever thought to check if that bitter old witch (Feinstein) is mentally 100% capable of properly doing her job? She is in her 70s and a lot of senior citizens are no longer able to do certain things. Perhaps, she needs to be put into an Obamacare nursing home?
+1 on this. I don't think she's altogether there anymore.

RCArms.com
January 25, 2013, 10:27 AM
Neither MPD nor the Capitol Police have the authority to overrule the DC Official Code. Of course, nothing will come of it.

However, it might be nice if the Senate Select Committee on Ethics took a hard look at the transport and display of firearms, at the behest of Sen. Feinstein's office, in possible violation of DC Code. Not that would happen either, especially since that Committee is chaired by Barbara "Dumb-as-a-Box-of-Rocks" Boxer.
If the DC cops and attorney won't enforce their own laws with David Gregory, they sure as heck would give Feinstein a pass as well.

RetiredUSNChief
January 25, 2013, 11:26 AM
No, 'they' are not idiots; though there are lots of idiots willingly serving the Leftist agenda. The actual facilitators have a clear goal; disarmament and control; if 'a few' are injured or killed, it's for the Greater Good. They are also patient; if there's a setback, they just keep on working. When they score a victory, they don't congratulate themselves and go home; they keep grinding away.
That's a lesson WE need to take to heart; even after we beat this latest attack back, we need to keep educating and pressing our case! Make THEM compromise with US, then push some more!!

Well put.

If they were truely idiots, then their activities would be of no consequence and we could disregard them. But they obviously are not idiots and we cannot dismiss them as such.

We need to avoid such paradigms because they lead to a tendendy to underestimate them and their goals & effectiveness.

Pismopal
January 25, 2013, 12:04 PM
Correct...the idiots are the people who keep voting for these politicians and complaining about their actions. The Democrat Party is controlled by the left and no amount of pussy-footing is going to change that. California..my home, is controlled by these people from top to bottom and behold the result.

CZ-75BD
January 25, 2013, 12:23 PM
Well... let me tell you from my personal experiences living in former USSR.
Government afraid of people who can fight back. And millions of american having guns and rifle it is a scary thing. There for government willing do anything possible or impossible to take that away from us. It was done not ones or twice in different counties and it worked.
Problem is we are one of the most weapons holder in world, it will not be so easy.
And of course Prohibition never work and never will work. Unfortunately people do not learn anything from the history, and making same mistakes all over again.
We need to stand and fight for our Constitution right! Anther wise welcome to USSR.
I personally donated three times to NRA-ILA this month, upgraded my NRA membership, write letters to congressman's in my IL State.
What have you done?

shep854
January 25, 2013, 12:48 PM
As CZ-75BD could no doubt write a book about, the 'Left' in the US is communist to the core.

Pismopal
January 25, 2013, 03:17 PM
CZ....I don't vote for liberals...if a liberal is elected to office,writting letters to try to change their opinion about the 2nd is a waste of stamps.

PGT
January 25, 2013, 03:51 PM
As CZ-75BD could no doubt write a book about, the 'Left' in the US is communist to the core.
That's a bold statement. The far left in the US is more socialist in the modern European democracy sense than they are "communist" in the Soviet sense.

Trent
January 26, 2013, 12:32 AM
Yeah there's a pretty big difference between old school Red communism, and what we're seeing today with "progressive socialism." (I believe that's the phrase y'all are looking for. Progressive Socialist.)

shep854
January 26, 2013, 12:48 AM
I'm referring to their motivating philosophy and ultimate goals. Agreed, we're nowhere near the USSR right now, but the Left is trying to steer us that way, IMO.

timmy4
January 26, 2013, 12:49 AM
I have a lot of respect for Feinstein, but her bill disappoints me. As I wrote in the other thread, I am in favor of removing the private sales loophole and a ban on high capacity magazines. I should point out that the majority of the American public shares these views. However the public is NOT in favor of banning "assault rifles" and neither am I. The proposed bill provides an "out" for politicians who don't want to discuss the two issues I am pushing for.

22-rimfire
January 26, 2013, 09:11 AM
I respect Feinstein as a person. I think she is a hypocrite. I have no respect for this current AWB bill. I don't favor any kind of restrictions beyond what are currently on the books.

Tommygunn
January 26, 2013, 01:06 PM
I have a lot of respect for Feinstein, but her bill disappoints me. As I wrote in the other thread, I am in favor of removing the private sales loophole and a ban on high capacity magazines. I should point out that the majority of the American public shares these views. However the public is NOT in favor of banning "assault rifles" and neither am I. The proposed bill provides an "out" for politicians who don't want to discuss the two issues I am pushing for.

Removing the private sales "loophole" will not accomplish a thing. Criminals do not obey laws, and they usually steal guns. How would forcing two private citizens to go through an FFL to sell a gun affect criminals who will not obey the law?
Likewise banning 30 round magazines will not work. There's millions of them out there to begin with. Moreover limting capacity will not ameliorate the ill effects of any violent crime. Cho, the Virginia Tech shooter, used two handguns, not an AR-15. He reloaded these 18 times during his shooting spree ....and managed to kill 32 people. That's more than were killed in Newtown Ct by Adam Lanza. Cho used a Walther P-22 which use ten round mags (this is a .22RF and most of these .22s that use magazines have ten round capacity mags because of the design of the round) and a center fire semiauto -- I am unsure of the caliber & make but I suspect it would carry more than just ten rounds.
There may be some polls which show that a majority of people would want a capacity limit on mags and the private sale "loophole" "fixed," but one should remember something. Not all these polls are neutral. Confucious said that "he who determines the question determines the answer." Many people don't understand what the so called "gun show" loophole (AKA "private sale loophole") is and don't really understand enough about guns to understand how Cho could kill more people without 30 round mags than Adam Lanza did with them.
It still bothers me that whenever some psycho goes on a shooting spree people want to take weapons (and their related "feeding" devices) away from everyone who didn't do it--and expect it to actually make a difference.

AJumbo
January 26, 2013, 06:00 PM
I note that plenty of posters here like to point out that "Brand X is on the list, but Brand XX is the same thing, and it didn't make the list at all. What a crock!"

You're not thinking this through. You aren't thinking like the enemy, either, OR using your imagination.

Fast forward to the day when the Anti's, having successfully passed the new AWB, have the power to add to the list. Imagine the press conference where Feinstein apologizes to the people for not recognizing that Brand XX is essentially identical to Brand X, and needs to be placed on the "Only The State Needs This" list. What will stop her? The firearms in question, in one form or another, would have already been proscribed. Adding a new make or model will be easy.

Welcome to your own personal Concord Bridge, folks. See to your priming!

HOWARD J
January 26, 2013, 09:50 PM
She is quite a lady for her age.
If I remember correctly she was born in 1932
It really is a shame that she was not born in Germany.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dianne Feinstein to Propose New Ban On So-Called "Assault Weapons" Today at 11am EDT" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!