Rem Golden Sabre ammo

PDA

Hunter991
January 24, 2013, 01:58 PM
At a LGS today and they had ONE box of 25 124 gr jhp 9mm on the shelf. I never buy Remington ammo because of how junk their 22 LR is. However I bought this for $29. Is this decent ammo anyone use it for an SD round? I usually buy Speer but can't find it anywhere of course.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem Golden Sabre ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Invisible Swordsman
January 24, 2013, 02:19 PM
We issued it in 9, 40 and 45 at the police dpeartment I retired from. In several shootings it performed well. I currently carry it in my Sig P290.

Pensfan
January 24, 2013, 03:13 PM
Golden Sabres and Speer Gold Dots are generally considered some of the best all around SD ammo out there. Opinions will always vary of course... but you can't get much better ammo for the money out there.

ku4hx
January 24, 2013, 03:19 PM
It's a well tested round and you can find test data all over the internet.

I buy self defense ammunition about every five years and the Remington Golden Saber is my first choice for 9mm, 40 and 45ACP. This is based on all sorts of test I've read, and it's likely to work as well as most other fodder. Shot placement is king and there's no substitute for training.

Aiko492
January 24, 2013, 05:28 PM
i like it behind Federal HST, quality ammo though

MachIVshooter
January 24, 2013, 06:16 PM
Golden Saber is my first choice in SD ammo for all pistol cartridges, save for .45 Super, which gets 240 Gr. Sierra JHCs. I use them in .380, 9x19mm, 9x23mm, .38 Spl. .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, 10mm and .45 ACP.

Do not equate the premium Golden Saber with the Economy "Golden Bullet" rimfire stuff.

Hapworth
January 24, 2013, 06:22 PM
It's considered a slightly older though still quite viable round. I wouldn't compare Rem's (or any other big manufacturer's) defensive ammo offerings with their plinking stuff.

You're good to go...

REAPER4206969
January 24, 2013, 06:30 PM
GS is fantastic.

CWL
January 24, 2013, 06:54 PM
The brass jacketed bullet helps with reliable feeding in addition to helping keep the bullet intact during flight & upon impact in a target. These are are important things to consider for any SD ammo.

January 24, 2013, 08:03 PM
Remington's Golden Saber bullet was designed by the same person who designed Winchester's famous Black Talon. He knew what he was doing both times. I have GS ammunition loaded in a number of firearms including my CC pistol and others.

I never buy Remington ammo because of how junk their 22 LR is

The "new & improved" GB stuff is far from junk.

Fishslayer
January 24, 2013, 10:02 PM
I never buy Remington ammo because of how junk their 22 LR is.

:confused::confused::confused:

The "new & improved" GB stuff is far from junk.

I would agree with that. I would also disagree that the older stuff is junk. I posted some targets awhile back. The GB performed better than most.

WYOMan
January 24, 2013, 11:54 PM
I've got two ten round mags loaded with 230 grain GS right now.

1911 guy
January 25, 2013, 12:16 AM
In .45acp, I choose Federal first if it's available, then Remington. Other stuff is only if Remington is also out of stock.

Silverado6x6
January 25, 2013, 12:50 AM
Years ago when it was cheap I picked up several thousand of these for the .45. They reloaded easily.

Dam near worth their weight in gold now.

Still have a real box of 9mm Black Talons.

Lucky Derby
January 25, 2013, 01:55 AM
I carried it (.45 ACP) for years in my Sig P220 & 1911s. Most accurate round I found for either.

JR24
January 25, 2013, 02:13 AM
I prefer Golden Sabers in my 9mms. But I generally like the 147 grain variety.

wow6599
January 25, 2013, 07:39 AM
I like Golden Sabers because the tests I've seen (on-line) seem to indicate they would work well if needed, but the main reason is because their design allows for feeding reliability. They come close to the ogive profile of ball ammo, which I like.

Plus, you can sometimes find them on-line for really good prices - around $14.95 for 25 rds IIRC.

breakingcontact
January 25, 2013, 06:08 PM
Its not what I prefer but its good stuff.

chris in va
January 25, 2013, 06:34 PM
On a side note...

I reload a few calibers. On a whim I measured the bullet at the case mouth and discovered it is .347. Most bullets are .355, so I did some asking around and found out the actual bearing surface is the last 1/4 of it's length.

Unusual design.

RH45
January 25, 2013, 08:31 PM
124 grain GS are the most accurate I've tried out of my Kimber Solo.

CPLofMARINES
January 25, 2013, 08:46 PM
Excellent SD round. However, myself that would be my
Third choice, first would be Corbon 125 grn +P then
Speer GD 124 grn +P. Anyways you get what you can
Get in these times, let's hope it does'nt get any worse.

Semper Fi

Drail
January 25, 2013, 08:53 PM
I think the Remington Golden Saber bullet is an excellent design, probably just as good as the Gold Dot. I don't like Remington brass construction, it's thinner than most of the other brands. If you use Remington ammo watch VERY closely for bullets setting back. Don't rechamber the same round repeatedly. It seems as if all of the manufacturers are having set back problems now but Remington has always had this problem. If you handload you can solve this problem easily.

ku4hx
January 25, 2013, 10:36 PM
On a side note...

I reload a few calibers. On a whim I measured the bullet at the case mouth and discovered it is .347. Most bullets are .355, so I did some asking around and found out the actual bearing surface is the last 1/4 of it's length.

Unusual design.
Like another poster stated, a few years ago I bought several thousand; since then prices have tripled.

The thing I noticed right off was their design, the bottom of the bullet's body is actually a driving band of sorts being of a very slightly greater diameter than the upper part of the body. It's even listed in the Remington literature as a design feature affording the bullet certain ballistic advantages. I have no idea if that's true, but 9mm, 10mm/40 and 45ACP are extremely accurate in all my guns.

The odd thing I discovered was I couldn't successfully load the 40 cal into ANY Remington case I had. Even those that originally were loaded with the Golden Saber bullet. I could never get a taper crimp to hold the bullet; maybe my die ... dunno. I switched to Federal and/or Starline cases and problem was solved. And since I had a huge supply of Federal 40 cal and Starline 10mm brass I was satisfied ... I seldom argue with success.

You can see the driving band in the attached picture.

InkEd
January 25, 2013, 10:52 PM
It's good stuff.

MachIVshooter
January 26, 2013, 04:06 AM
The thing I noticed right off was their design, the bottom of the bullet's body is actually a driving band of sorts being of a very slightly greater diameter than the upper part of the body. It's even listed in the Remington literature as a design feature affording the bullet certain ballistic advantages. I have no idea if that's true, but 9mm, 10mm/40 and 45ACP are extremely accurate in all my guns.

Less bearing surface = less friction. I've found Golden Sabres to run 20-50 FPS faster than other bullets of equal weight with any given powder & charge.

ku4hx
January 26, 2013, 05:28 AM
Less bearing surface = less friction. I've found Golden Sabres to run 20-50 FPS faster than other bullets of equal weight with any given powder & charge.
That assumes the coefficient of friction for the jacketing materials are the exact same for any two bullets being compared. I have no practical way of determining that.

My Golden Saber loads are always very accurate and have been regardless of powder and primers used. But in some lots, the difference in velocity between it and say a Speer Gold Dot bullet was within the normal shot-to-shot variations. And since I could never buy Gold Dots in bulk quantities greater then 100, my testing was basically casual at best.

Remington seems to be the only one of the large bullet makers willing to sell their premium bullets in quantities greater than 100. Silvertips and Gold Dots have always been in boxes of 100 and I don't recall ever seeing Hydra-Shoks being marketed as components. I have bought certain lower end Winchester JHP bullets in large bulk quantities.

Although I have purchased a couple of boxes of Gold Dot bullets over the decades, I basically refused to buy premium bullets in lots of 100 when I can get Golden Saber in 100, 500 and 1000. Obviously that's a self imposed limitation and it does make any testing I do anecdotal at best.

MachIVshooter
January 26, 2013, 02:39 PM
That assumes the coefficient of friction for the jacketing materials are the exact same for any two bullets being compared. I have no practical way of determining that.

To calculate it, yes.

I'm just telling you what my real-world results were with many different guns, cartridges and powders. On average, the GS run a tad faster. Not that the 20-50 FPS difference amounts to anything, but it exists nonetheless.

January 27, 2013, 12:32 AM
At a LGS today and they had ONE box of 25 124 gr jhp 9mm on the shelf. I never buy Remington ammo because of how junk their 22 LR is. However I bought this for $29. Is this decent ammo anyone use it for an SD round? I usually buy Speer but can't find it anywhere of course.

Are they bonded or unbonded?

Here's a little info on 'em if that's the kind you have-

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/23675/9-mm-remington-124-grain-golden-saber-bonded/

ediogenes
January 28, 2013, 10:36 PM
The 147-grain 9mm Golden Saber is my carry ammo of choice. My Beretta Model 9000S eats it like candy. I also use the 102-grain .380 in my Beretta Model 84. Reliable, accurate, and (according to my FBI buddy) deadly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem Golden Sabre ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!