Arizona gun shop recommendations

PDA

Noban
February 2, 2003, 12:06 PM
I'm taking a road trip vacation from CA through Arizona this month and would like to stop in a few "real" gun stores enroute. I'll be traveling along Route 10 through Phoenix and Tucson.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Arizona gun shop recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
J Miller
February 2, 2003, 01:26 PM
There are many good gun shops in Phoenix. Here is one I used to go to frequently when I lived there.

http://www.legendaryguns.com/

There are many others, but this shop was quite friendly and had lots of Colt SAA's and Rugers and other things.
Hope they haven't changed.

WhoKnowsWho
February 2, 2003, 06:38 PM
I don't know what your exact definition of real is, but here is two I frequent for service, price, and selection.

West of the Pecos
Murphy's

And one I go to just for selection and not much else.

Jensen's

AZTOY
February 2, 2003, 06:53 PM
In Tucson

West of the Pecos or Murphy's.

Also Jensen's but the people that work there are :cuss:

Also on Feb 22nd - 23rd there is a gun show in Phoenix at Arizona State Fairgrounds.

hansolo
February 2, 2003, 08:00 PM
I visit Dad-in-law near Phoenix. In Mesa(about 20Mi. S. of Phoenix)I shoot at an indoor range/gunshop called Caswell's.
Good people, decent amount of supplies & rental guns, as well as handguns for sale and a gunsmith. They also have CCW classes and other training.

Gordon
February 2, 2003, 08:34 PM
Tombstone Leather are real nice guys and good work too, they will fill you in on whats going down in the area and then you can go get sloshy in tombstone. Tombstone was redone a couple years ago and is a decent old west stop now.

BerettaNut92
February 2, 2003, 10:17 PM
Don't be doin nothin' illegal now!!! ;)

andy
February 2, 2003, 10:40 PM
When I was in Arizona many years ago there was really nice gun shop in Scottsdale called Mandells(sp?). Every kind of gun including subguns & MGs were in that place. Also had a pretty good shooting range in the basement. The hired help was a mite creepy though.

BerettaNut92
February 2, 2003, 10:44 PM
Undercover ATF agents? :D

You mean...you can TRY the guns before buying them? Or is it a public range?

WhoKnowsWho
February 2, 2003, 11:22 PM
Hey AZTOY, quit suggesting the same good shops, now I will have more people to have to beat to the place to get first pick of anything they have! :)

andy
February 2, 2003, 11:27 PM
It was a gun shop with an indoor range. You can rent a gun and go shoot it like alot of other places. I saw an assortment of MGs and subguns on display, for example what looked like a MP38 and a Reising submachinegun. The others I cannot recall as this was about fifteen years ago. I guess those are what you call class 3 weapons (?) and though I did not ask the clerk about them I presume they were for sale. I've had never seen a gun shop like this before or since and I was only in there once. I wish I had checked it out more thoroughly.

roscoe
February 2, 2003, 11:42 PM
Expect to pay a lot a Mandells - the rent must be a killer on Scottsdale Road. I do like their teddy bear with an Uzi.

In the Phoenix area, you can get good deals at Lone Wolf and Arizona Firearms and Pawn. Legendary Guns is well-respected.

But, really THE place is J&G in Prescott.

wingnutx
February 3, 2003, 01:58 AM
Legendary Guns on 19th ave and COlter is very nice.

Shooter's World is good, and has a nice indoor range for rifle and pistol.

Arizona Sportsman on Camelback and 7th ave is a good one.

Mandall's in Scottsdale is good, and has a range, though I've never used it.

There is a big store in Mesa called Caswell's. Has a range, too. Never been there, but it is highly recommended to me by friends.

I've bought from the first 4 I mentioned, and they were all very easy to deal with.

WhoKnowsWho
February 3, 2003, 02:12 AM
Oh, I forgot, if you want to hang around Tucson for a while, there is a small shop and outdoor range that work together and do a full auto weapons rental. But you have to go through a class about the weapon and its history and such. I don't think you can just rent it and shoot it. They had several weapons too. The shop is called Desert Trails I believe.

denfoote
February 3, 2003, 03:15 AM
MANDALL'S (http://www.mandallshooting.com)

This is where I hang out!!! :D

Lennyjoe
February 3, 2003, 05:25 AM
Murphys, West of Pecos, Jensens west and east, Cashbox Pawn are good ones. Jensens is kinda up in prices. Murphy's got alot of guns at some really good prices. West of Pecos is small but has a good selection. Cashbox has alot of reloading stuff and mostly used guns.

One thing for sure, stay away from Jerry's gun exchange. What a prune. If you dont believe me go in there yourself. You wont be suprised.

Gunshows are always going on either in Tucson or Phoenix on a monthly basis. Glockmeister is in the Phoenix area too if your into Glocks. Galco is also up in the Phoenix metro area.

Have fun and have a safe trip.

1goodshot
February 3, 2003, 07:50 AM
Check out Lone Wolf east of 51 st ave on Peoria, best prices and good selection.

Dave T
February 3, 2003, 09:55 AM
I will second (or is it third or forth) stopping at Murphy's Guns, West of the Pecos, and Cashbox while in Tucson. They are good people who stand behind their products, even the used guns.

Also, if you are at all interested in Cowboy Action Shooting or just Western history, you should stop by Frontier Gun Shop on Grant Rd. Jim has the best selection of Old West guns of anyone and just looking around his shop is a hoot.

Silver Bullet
February 3, 2003, 10:40 AM
I've been to several, and bought from more than one, but my next purchase will probably be from Lone Wolf.

Silver Bullet
February 3, 2003, 11:12 AM
Most of my shooting (and some of my classes) has been at Caswell's, but I'm going to start going to Ben Avery's outdoor range. My vision seems to be a lot better outside than in most of the indoor ranges.

Noban
February 3, 2003, 11:21 AM
Wow!! - now there's a lot of helpful replies. I really appreciate it.

Noban

Silver Bullet
February 9, 2003, 09:36 PM
Just an update: I visited Lone Wolf in the last few days, and the prices are good, as I remembered, but the selection seemed smaller than I remembered.

Another place I've been to in the Phoenix area with a much bigger selection (in-store inventory) is Bear Arms, in Scottsdale. I think their prices are higher than Lone Wolf's, though.

Lone Wolf will order a gun for you, although that might not work for you if you're passing through.

I've been just as impressed with some California stores, though. I'm trying to remember the name of one in San Fernando Valley: I think it was B&B, in Van Nuys, or something like that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Arizona gun shop recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!