M1 Garand FMJ Bullets Suggestions

PDA

ali9cg8
January 24, 2013, 04:02 PM
Hello all,

May I just start by saying that everyone offered such excellent advice and helped to explain the technicalities of the importance of taking on this specific load. Invaluable information and many thanks.

After weeks of working the ins and outs and throwing a million practice charges, I was really pleased with the results at the range. Did the post-it note test offhand with a sling at 200 yards and headed home a pretty happy camper.

I started off with the wonderful Sierra 168 MK and that is such a great bullet, but my indoor range will only allow FMJ's for centerfire rifles. Fine, I can work with that...it's really freaking cold.

Finally the point to all this: does anyone have recommendations for a cost-effective range bullet (max of 100 yards)? I've heard the Hornady 150's are a great for the wallet, but any other thoughts? My M1 is a NM, so not sure if that will make any difference in my bullet choices or not.

Thanks to all of the handloading mentors here!

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand FMJ Bullets Suggestions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 24, 2013, 04:06 PM
Right now today with the hording in full swing?

Any .30 bullets you can find for sale & in stock are the best bullets.

rc

ArchAngelCD
January 24, 2013, 04:08 PM
Even though they are almost impossible to find these days I like the 150gr surplus M2 bullets for range practice. They are fairly accurate but of course not as good as a match bullet but close enough. They cost a lot less than name brand bullets too. (usually $92/500 @ Widener's)

cfullgraf
January 24, 2013, 06:05 PM
Some folks over on the CMP forum have good luck with 110 grain and 125 grain 30 cal bullets in the Garand out to 200 yards. Wind takes over beyond that.

But, I suspect they are in short supply as well these days.

Certaindeaf
January 24, 2013, 06:07 PM
Bayonet with a buttstroke finish and then maybe yell "bam!".

ReloaderFred
January 24, 2013, 06:13 PM
Since the M1 was developed around the 152 gr. M2 bullet, most any bullet in that range will work. All my Garands shoot best with bullets in the 150 gr. range.

Nosler makes an excellent 155 gr. bullet in .308, if you can find them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

jr_roosa
January 24, 2013, 09:54 PM
Hornady 150s are ok and reasonably priced. Cannelure is in a funny spot but that's ok.

Sierra 150 game king fmjbt is one of the most accurate bullets in my m1 I have found. They shoot as well or better than matchkings.

J.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand FMJ Bullets Suggestions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!