Wal-Mart adopts new ammo policy

PDA

Ashcons
January 24, 2013, 06:43 PM
http://www.4029tv.com/news/Walmart-adopts-new-ammunition-policy-in-stores/-/8897838/18268304/-/4hu8r5/-/index.html

From the horse's mouth, I guess. My thought is it's due to the shortage more than anything else. Judging by their ammo inventory from a few days ago, I doubt they've got more than 3 boxes of anything other than shotgun ammo and non-.22lr, .223/5.56 rifle ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wal-Mart adopts new ammo policy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GCBurner
January 24, 2013, 06:58 PM
I saw that at the local Walmart last night. The guy running sporting goods said a husband and wife had come in and bought the last 6 boxes of .22LR, 3 boxes each. He said they expect supplies to probably get back to normal by sometime in March, if nothing else happens to keep the panic buying going.

d-dogg
January 24, 2013, 06:59 PM
And I have absolutely no problem with that!

Reloadron
January 24, 2013, 07:00 PM
That shows up in this thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=698173) where apparently some did not take too kindly to the new policy.

When all this began, while Cabela's was taking back orders I ordered some .223 just out of curiosity. I ordered 800 rounds with free shipping. That was December 27th. Got another follow up email yesterday that they expect delivery around 28 Feb. so my order should ship early March. Regular pricing no problem so we shall wait and see.

Wal-Mart is just trying to spread what they have and get over a wide customer base.

Ron

MachIVshooter
January 24, 2013, 07:01 PM
They held out longer than most on purchase limits, but even the retail giant isn't immune from supply shortages.

jmr40
January 24, 2013, 08:04 PM
Good plan, I have no problem.

wooly bugger
January 24, 2013, 08:12 PM
Even Midway is limiting to 2 bricks of .22LR. Fine with me. Prevents some rich <removed> from buying up the whole inventory.

O C
January 24, 2013, 08:15 PM
Walmart has almost 4,000 stores in the US. Try stocking all of them with ammo, and guns. They could sell the entire years production of Bushmaster in a week.

Ashcons
January 24, 2013, 08:16 PM
Doesn't bother me either, but it's a bit late judging by the ammo shelves. My wife was pretty impressed at how barren it was. They'd even moved the BP rifles into their normal rifle cases to make it look like they had firearms in stock (usually their BP stuff is locked up and neglected in a sad corner of the sporting goods dept).

herkyguy
January 24, 2013, 08:20 PM
smart. me, the consumer (who was just about done going to Walmart looking for ammo) will now troll the aisles more often in the hopes of a few boxes on the shelf, maybe picking up a few odds and ends along the way.

smart business decision.

breakingcontact
January 24, 2013, 08:22 PM
I noticed after Academy Sports imposed purchase limits, you can now at least get 40/45 pretty regular, still haven't seen any 22LR/223/9mm

gossamer
January 24, 2013, 09:32 PM
And I have absolutely no problem with that!
+1 here

random_gun
January 24, 2013, 10:39 PM
The ammo shelf has been empty for like a month... How does this matter?

Grassman
January 24, 2013, 10:53 PM
I was at my local Academy talking to the gun dept guys, and they said for the past month the same guys would be at the door every morning to buy up any ammo they could, and it would always end up at a gun show on the weekend going for 3 times the price. They since put a stop to this with purchase limits.

PGT
January 24, 2013, 10:58 PM
100% reasonable. I stopped going by Wallyworld because a) its Wallyworld and b) there's NEVER anything there and c) mine is a "Super Wal-Mart" that's as big as a mall and the Sporting Goods section is in the back corner meaning a fruitless trip is a 20min diversion

soonerfan85
January 24, 2013, 11:09 PM
It's about time.

Gun Dept. Associate told me last weekend they are still receiving ammo, but it sells before they even remove it from the pallets. They've got a small number of people hanging around in the early morning hours waiting on ammo to appear then buying it all. I'm guessing they're small gun/pawn stores that can't get ammo from their normal suppliers, or individuals reselling ammo thru classifieds or guns shows as previous poster noted.

Three boxes of CCI Tactical .22 standard velocity would make me very happy for a couple of weeks. :)

PGT
January 24, 2013, 11:14 PM
I got an email this morning from SGAmmo.com about 5k rd cases of CCI 22 SV for $299. They sold out in 15min (I got one, luckily). Tonight, there no less than ten auctions for the same thing all from the same seller on GB and they were up near $500 last I checked. I wouldn't doubt that people are clearing out Wal-Mart and making $$ on it.

edit - http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?IncludeSellers=1738368

hso
January 24, 2013, 11:18 PM
Plenty of large dealers doing the same since the run on ammo started. Far too many people clearing out the shelves and then taking the goods to shows and marking it up.

soonerfan85
January 24, 2013, 11:19 PM
You lucky dog. :D

crazy-mp
January 24, 2013, 11:24 PM
I guess the free market system is dead.

The same ones that say hooray Wal-Mart is limiting ammo will get bent out of shape if the government passes a law that says you can only have 5 boxes of ammo for a gun or you can only buy 3 guns a year.

Yet another reason to support you local gun store not the box store.

dbp
January 24, 2013, 11:27 PM
Crazy stuff!!

I have 150 rds of 9mm left and will split that into two trips to the range over the next two weeks. When that's gone I will just not shoot again until I can get ammo at a somewhat reasonable price. I don't care if it takes two more months or longer. I have SD ammo and can hit a BG from 10 yards. I don't think that skill will perish in that time period.

MachIVshooter
January 24, 2013, 11:28 PM

Local gun stores are limiting quantities too.

There are two ways to keep high demand/low supply items in stock to meet the needs of as many people as possible. 1) Put insane prices on the item so people can't afford to buy it all up or 2) limit sales at normal prices so the $12/hour guy has as much chance to buy the product as the $200k/year guy.

Which do you prefer?

Jlr2267
January 24, 2013, 11:29 PM

Around here, some of the LGS's get ammo at the box store, then mark it up and resell. I prefer to cut out the middle man.

RetiredUSNChief
January 24, 2013, 11:35 PM
No big deal to me.

I just drive down the road a ways to the next Walmart anyway, like I do when the store I'm at doesn't have what I want in stock.

And I can always come back a few hours later. Or visit with my wife and/or other family/friends.

I can understand what they're doing and why. Yeah, it may aggravate a few, but if it helps alleviate the scarcity by helping others obtain ammunition, then it will serve a couple purposes:

1. It helps others get ammunition that they might not be able to.

2. It may help take the edge off the "fear factor" that's driving much of the buying, which will help bring inventories back up. And once inventories start coming up again, the fear factor should drop even more.

I'm sure there will be those who disagree...and I'm sure I'll see it. But the bottom line is that Walmart is still selling, and to me that's what matters at this point in time.

And, of course, Walmart isn't the only place to buy ammunition by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the future...let's see what it brings when it gets here and not get too bent out of shape as yet.

:):)

soonerfan85
January 24, 2013, 11:45 PM
It's a whole different situation if you live somewhere where you have OPTIONS in buying ammo. Where I live it's WalMart or one of two pawn shops. That's it. Nearest option is 40 minutes away, and it's another WalMart. So yeah, I'm in favor of WalMart limiting ammo sales.

I don't see how a publicly traded corp. deciding to place limits on ammo sales is at all the same thing as the gov't telling them to place limits on sales.

RetiredUSNChief
January 24, 2013, 11:55 PM
I haven't purchased ammunition by the box in decades, and I've never purchased it from Walmart. If you don't reload, then the only reasonable alternative is to buy in bulk, as I've always done.

I've never understood how someone can run out and drop $3000.00 or better on a 5.56mm carbine, and then buy fuel for it one box at a time, at retail price points.

Heh!

I suppose if I were to "run out and drop $3000.00 or better" on ANY firearm, then you'd be right about buying ammunition one box at a time at retail.

However, I, and I suspect a great many others, don't do this.

;)

Grassman
January 25, 2013, 12:05 AM
Putting Walmarts policy together with any gun or ammo control policy is just reckless, they are nothing alike.

corrado007
January 25, 2013, 12:12 AM
Like one or two others said, Walmart is getting shipments, they just sell out first thing in the morning. I recently went to a super walmart near my work before work at around 7:20am, the employee saw me looking at the empty ammo case and asked what I was looking for. I told her I was looking for 9mm and she told me they have a few cases of ammo on a pallet in the back that are about to be put out in a few minutes. I told her I couldn't wait around for them as I had to get to work but that I'd come back after work. She told me people come in the mornings and buy up everything within the first hour so it would be gone by the time I got off. At least in my opinion, its worth stopping by if you can early as they do get shipments a few times a week and the 3 box restriction seems fair to me too.

CLP
January 25, 2013, 12:16 AM
It comes down to their reasoning in my book.

Is Wal Mart limiting ammo purchases to ensure everyone has an opportunity to purchase ammo, or are they doing it at the request of the Obama admin to prevent large ammo purchases by individuals?

GlowinPontiac
January 25, 2013, 12:22 AM
Good! Maybe this will stop the jerkoffs who show up as soon as the doors open and buy all the common ammo to resell at 2-3x the price.

Sent from my C5120 using Tapatalk 2

j.kramer
January 25, 2013, 12:24 AM
same guys as usual wiil be every morning with 20 freinds more each guy

BisleyBlackhawk45
January 25, 2013, 02:07 AM
When this madness got into full swing a little over three weeks ago I paid a visit to the gun counter at wallmart to check on .22 bulk packs. All sold out and was told by the sales girl that she had no idea about when or how much they would be getting in. I thanked her and made the comment that I bet she had a ton of people asking the same thing about when they would get .22 ammo in. She smiled and told me I have no idea...she then went on to tell me how rude some people were when she said they did not have any in the back and did not know when or how much they would get in, ect. She said one man called her co-worker a liar and he knew they had some put back and demanded she get it for him! She told of another that offered the two of them cash if he could be called when a shipment arrived...he would buy every box of bulk .22 they received. She told him they could not do that but he insisted he would make it worth it for her if she would. Good for Walmart putting restrictions on these thieves and gougers.as a side note the next day my LGS was doing everybody a favor with $60.00 bricks of American Eagle .22 LR and $72.99 for 1000 Federal Small rifle primers. Sometimes we are our own worse enemies!

JohnKSa
January 25, 2013, 02:10 AM
The ammo shelf has been empty for like a month... How does this matter?The reason they're empty is because as soon as they get anything in, the first couple of people to notice they have ammo in stock clean them out.

InkEd
January 25, 2013, 02:21 AM
Can I buy 3 box of each caliber?

JohnKSa
January 25, 2013, 02:45 AM
And there you have the root of the problem.

InkEd
January 25, 2013, 03:00 AM
I didn't mean literally every caliber. Just the ones I plan to take to the range.

Also, the REAL root of the problem is all the freedom hating politician and steeple that blindly follow Dictator Obama.

TJx
January 25, 2013, 09:10 AM
I guess my local Walmart didn't get the memo, they just implemented a 5 box limit. I was there yesterday.

Blackhawk30
January 25, 2013, 09:25 AM
Not a good idea.If all you have is 3 boxes,you should stop shooting until you can resupply.I wouldn't feel very comfortable with only 150 rds.

dbp

Crazy stuff!!

I have 150 rds of 9mm left and will split that into two trips to the range over the next two weeks. When that's gone I will just not shoot again until I can get ammo at a somewhat reasonable price. I don't care if it takes two more months or longer. I have SD ammo and can hit a BG from 10 yards. I don't think that skill will perish in that time period.

gego
January 25, 2013, 10:25 AM
If the demand exceeds the supply, there are two ways for a seller to deal with it. One is raising the price until it cuts off some of the demand. The other is not raising the price but rationing either by limits or a back order system.

I commend Walmart for choosing to ration instead of raising the price to a level necessary to cut off demand from those who can't or won't pay a very high price. Since a back order system would be impractical for Walmart customers, there only real choice was to set a per day limit.

You might say that Walmart made a very rational decision. (I like puns).

AirForceShooter
January 25, 2013, 11:35 AM
suggestion:
anybody that buys the last box of ammo leaving nothing for the next guy gets stripped of his/her 2A rights forever.

If it's the LAST single box you can buy it

Don't be a pig

AFS

brnmw
January 25, 2013, 11:39 AM
Most of the places around here have already implemented that a couple of weeks ago and I wish they had done it even sooner.... mass hysteria bulk buying has made finding ordinary ammo impossible to obtain.

breakingcontact
January 25, 2013, 01:31 PM
I think limiting is working. Academy had 40/45 and even...wait for it...556 today! Still no 9mm/22LR though.

dbp
January 25, 2013, 01:41 PM
Not a good idea.If all you have is 3 boxes,you should stop shooting until you can resupply.I wouldn't feel very comfortable with only 150 rds.

dbp

Crazy stuff!!

I have enough "carry" ammo to get me through a few BG encounters. I am just going to do without practice ammo until this craziness abates.

GoWolfpack
January 25, 2013, 01:44 PM
If the demand exceeds the supply, there are two ways for a seller to deal with it. One is raising the price until it cuts off some of the demand. The other is not raising the price but rationing either by limits or a back order system.

I commend Walmart for choosing to ration instead of raising the price to a level necessary to cut off demand from those who can't or won't pay a very high price. Since a back order system would be impractical for Walmart customers, there only real choice was to set a per day limit.

A ration still leaves the problem of people with a lot of time on their hands visiting multiple stores or going several times daily to collect their ration and eventually depleting Walmart's stock.

I understand that raising prices is not an option for Walmart. Currently the people buying ammunition at Walmart-prices to resell at gunshow-prices are the bad guys in our little narrative. If Walmart raised their price to near gunshow-prices and cut out the motive for these guys to troll sporting goods until new ammo arrived we would see supplies really build back up. But then Walmart becomes the free market bad guy, and they don't want to be.

CLP
January 25, 2013, 01:44 PM

What if they were limiting ammo because the Obama admin. convinced them to do so during their meeting last week? Would you still commend them then? I want to know why Wal Mart is limiting ammo buys.

Ashcons
January 25, 2013, 01:48 PM
Just remember to stock up once demand falls off! In 2008, I couldn't find 9mm to save my life and spent the last 3 years or so buying a little 9mm, .22lr, and whatever else every time I had a couple extra bucks and happened to be at WM.

Roadking Rider
January 25, 2013, 02:09 PM
What ever there reasoning is, I have no problem with the three box limit. I've very rarely bought more than three boxes anyway for myself in one visit.

nosmr2
January 25, 2013, 02:09 PM
It's not gonna please everyone, but a step in the right direction.

RetiredUSNChief
January 25, 2013, 03:29 PM
What if they were limiting ammo because the Obama admin. convinced them to do so during their meeting last week? Would you still commend them then? I want to know why Wal Mart is limiting ammo buys.

I don't understand your posting.

The "why" is very clearly stated in the article linked in the OP. The title very clearly states "New policy due to limited supply issues at stores". The article goes on to say: "Lundberg said, "We are trying to take care of as many customers as possible because supply is limited at this time." He said Walmart stores are monitoring supply issues daily and will address purchase limits once supply issues are resolved."

So the answer to your question is very clearly stated.

You may choose to believe that or not. However, at this time there is no supporting evidence whatsoever that there are any other ulterior motives, including anything related to Obama's gun control meetings. Anything about that would be pure conjecture. If you, or anybody else, actually come across such evidence, by all means post it.

Time will tell us whether or not there are ulterior motives.

An interesting human behavioral question here, though:

I am quite sure that there would be any number of naysayers who would, upon future confirmation of their suppositions, readily come forth and cry "I told you so!". How many naysayers, do you suppose, would so readily come forth with future evidence they were wrong and say "Thank goodness I was wrong!"?

I suspect, in the coming weeks and months, that when the current craze dies down and supplies come back up approaching normal levels, we'll see Walmart's current policy of limits change back.

Let's do our part to remain calm and observant in the meantime.

PGT
January 25, 2013, 03:56 PM
my LGS was selling WWB 9mm for $23 when I stopped by at lunch today. In other news, they had it in stock (due to the 100% inflation of the price). This is Wal-Mart's issue...they strive to keep prices low but when demand outstrips supply they can either increase their price or maintain but limit bulk purchases. IMHO, the path they chose is the right one but like with everything else in life, they'll upset someone somewhere by their decision.

Would you be happier if they raised the price but had it in stock and you could buy as much as you wanted?

Solo
January 25, 2013, 03:57 PM
I am quite sure that there would be any number of naysayers who would, upon future confirmation of their suppositions, readily come forth and cry "I told you so!". How many naysayers, do you suppose, would so readily come forth with future evidence they were wrong and say "Thank goodness I was wrong!"?
Can you say "confirmation bias"?

mgmorden
January 25, 2013, 04:01 PM
All the local stores have had ammo purchase limited since 2008. This just sounds like a corporate policy to override those of the individual stores. I know previously some did no more than 3 of any particular type of ammo, and other stores did no more than 6 boxes total.

Overall I don't mind this. Right now I'm not really hording - I just want to be able to buy a couple boxes so shoot on the weekend :).

Need to function test my SD40VE some more this afternoon and I did manage to find a box of Tula on the shelf at the local store. Not my favorite, but it'll do for now.

mcdonl
January 25, 2013, 04:06 PM
You "free market" people make me laugh. No one (Walmart) is doing this because they have to, they are doing it because they know full well they will sell all of the ammo they get anyway, but my doing this instead of one person buying 100 boxes of ammo and leaving happy, 50 people will leave with two boxes of ammo each.

Why do you find this hard to understand? Just because you want to buy in bulk, doesnt mean that the guy behind you should be SOL... free market means a business can do what they feel serves them and their customers better.

Good for walmart.

Batty67
January 25, 2013, 04:41 PM
I'm fine with the policy. It used to irritate me to no end when I walked to the local bagel shop to get my morning carbs and on most Fridays some jerk would show up and buy 3-4 dozen bagels for the office and pick the supply clean for an hour. I told the manager since they are going to sell them anyhow, pissing off 15-20 customers to appeas the bulk purchaser was not good policy. Grrr...

Killian
January 25, 2013, 05:26 PM
The Wal mart in Corinth MS had a sign up saying customers were limited to 3 CASES of ammo. I laughed when I saw that. Someone must have got "boxes" and "cases" messed up.

WoodchuckAssassin
January 25, 2013, 05:54 PM
Will hunting rounds like 270, 30-06, and 308 being affected the same?

The last time I was at Wally World (about 2 weeks ago), there was NOTHING! There were still 20 and 12 guage shells, but NO centerfires and NO rimfires. It was depressing to not even see a box of 22's.

CLP
January 25, 2013, 06:09 PM
I don't understand your posting.

The "why" is very clearly stated in the article linked in the OP. The title very clearly states "New policy due to limited supply issues at stores". The article goes on to say: "Lundberg said, "We are trying to take care of as many customers as possible because supply is limited at this time." He said Walmart stores are monitoring supply issues daily and will address purchase limits once supply issues are resolved."

So the answer to your question is very clearly stated.

You may choose to believe that or not. However, at this time there is no supporting evidence whatsoever that there are any other ulterior motives, including anything related to Obama's gun control meetings. Anything about that would be pure conjecture. If you, or anybody else, actually come across such evidence, by all means post it.

Time will tell us whether or not there are ulterior motives.

An interesting human behavioral question here, though:

I suspect, in the coming weeks and months, that when the current craze dies down and supplies come back up approaching normal levels, we'll see Walmart's current policy of limits change back.

Let's do our part to remain calm and observant in the meantime.

Yeah, I didn't read the ad completely. I think I'm getting burnt out on reading articles, THR threads, clicking on polls, emailing and writing congressman and I just overlooked that.

RetiredUSNChief
January 25, 2013, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I didn't read the ad completely. I think I'm getting burnt out on reading articles, THR threads, clicking on polls, emailing and writing congressman and I just overlooked that.

I hear you!

The last few weeks have been wearing on me, as well, reading all this continuing...er..."fecal excrement" that's going on with respect to gun control.

In the meantime, the country is headed South in a handbasket because we have 535 Congressmen who can't seem to grasp that a major part of their job description has to do with keeping the financial aspect of our nation rolling and on the right track. Maybe, juuuuuuust maybe, if they'd spend the first 11 months of the year working on that, they won't have to pull all-nighters in panic mode for the final weeks of the year.

But I digress...

:fire::banghead:

mcdonl
January 25, 2013, 07:49 PM
Here Here brothers. Trying times indeed.

Fishslayer
January 25, 2013, 09:28 PM
They held out longer than most on purchase limits, but even the retail giant isn't immune from supply shortages.

People hate on Walmart but in my area they didn't raise prices during the Great Ammo Drought of '09. The one I frequent didn't have limits either IIRC. I could be wrong. You had to be lucky to catch the ammo before it was gone.

Gal the other night said they weren't even being allowed to send orders. I took that to mean the warehouse was empty.

crazy-mp
January 25, 2013, 11:03 PM
Why do you find this hard to understand? Just because you want to buy in bulk, doesnt mean that the guy behind you should be SOL... free market means a business can do what they feel serves them and their customers better.

What part of this do you not understand if I have the money to purchase a product weather it be a box of .22 or a Cadillac the retailer should not be telling me what I can buy with my money.

There is a old saying, Life is tough, its even tougher if your, well you know the rest...

mcdonl
January 25, 2013, 11:23 PM
What part of this do you not understand if I have the money to purchase a product weather it be a box of .22 or a Cadillac the retailer should not be telling me what I can buy with my money.

There is a old saying, Life is tough, its even tougher if your, well you know the rest...

The retailer is not telling what you can buy, he is telling you how much he is willing to sell one person.

Think about this...

A retailer sells you all of his stock. Lets assume you don't resell it. Shucks, lets assume you use it all. It will be a long time before you need more. Meanwhile all of the customers that got nothing look elsewhere for their ammo and are upset that the retailer let it all go to one person.

What about flu vaccines? What about water in drought stricken areas? Should there be no limit on those items either?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CombatVet IZ AF
January 27, 2013, 04:20 AM
I have always lived by the adage "shoot one, buy two," so I'm not feeling the current crunch too much. As for buying from smaller gun shops or pawn shops instead of the corporate retailers ...

I am all for buying locally and supporting small businesses, but this situation has brought out the worst in some of my local retailers (here in northeast Texas). They will buy out the stock at the big stores and resell in their shops for a huge markup. A local gun shop was trying to sell a 50-round box of Remington Thunderbolts for $13, which normally goes for $3-4. At least the big box stores like Wal-Mart, Gander Mountain and Cabela's won't try to take advantage of the "panic" to gouge the customer, and kudos to them for trying to spread their meager stocks.

When everything slows down and the rush subsides, customers need to remember how the stores acted.

nfafan
January 27, 2013, 05:01 AM
Gun boards can be amazing...

This same topic discussed elsewhere is filled with rage at any notion that just because you are at the front of the buffet line, you can be free to pig out on all the bacon they put out.

Yet here, there is a reasoned discussion that rationing the finite supply of ammo so "we" all get a shot at some (pun intended) is perfectly acceptable.

Autolycus
January 27, 2013, 05:46 AM
I commend Walmart for their policy as they are trying to be good to their customers. However I have to ask why everyone hates the people and stores that buy it and sell it for 2 or 3 times the price? Is that not the essence of capitalism? If there is a demand, is it wrong to make money? Are you all a bunch of communists Obama lovers? Seriously, good for those industrious enough to make a buck. If you want ammo, go to Walmart early and buy it. Don't hate on others for being prepared and getting up early to get some and make a few dollars. It is freedom and it is what America is all about.

texasgun
January 27, 2013, 07:09 AM
great. glad they made that policy change.

if you want to buy "bulk" ... go order online and get your 1,000rd box. it's pretty nasty to go to Wal-Mart - clean out the entire ammo shelve and then head home and re-sell that stuff with a hefty mark-up.

Wal-Mart is smart to change their policy - it certainly will keep me shopping there again.

6.5x55swedish
January 27, 2013, 07:17 AM
A 3 box limit is better than not selling guns and ammo at all.

Our local Dicks Sporting Goods cleaned out their shelves and has signs up that they will no longer be selling either. I asked a stock guy in the store about it and he didn't know if it was select stores or nation wide. He said they marked down all the ammo and sold it all and the guns all got shipped back to their supplier.

RetiredUSNChief
January 27, 2013, 08:03 AM
Well, Dicks HAS removed certain firearms from their inventory as a retail chain, I understand.

And if you go to their website, you won't find any long guns that essentially aren't bolt action or lever action. (I didn't look at the .22 rifles, though.)

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2012/12/dicks_sporting_goods_pulls_cer.html

However, I don't find anything about a more extensive policy of restriction on sales of guns and ammo. This might just be at your local store, much like what Dicks did at their store near Newtown, Ct.

If anybody else has any information, I'd be interested.

76shuvlinoff
January 27, 2013, 09:12 AM
The only rifle calibers I saw at my closest Walmart were 30-30, .22WMR and a box of .17. I saw no pistol stuff, plenty of shotgun ammo though.
I almost picked up a couple boxes of 30-30s but I have a few and I really don't use that little rifle except to get it out once in a blue moon just to hear it go boom.

SFsc616171
January 27, 2013, 05:42 PM
It's a store. They can set policies, as they do with coupons on food items, already. Three boxes a day, depending on caliber, could be a little or could be a lot. In so saying, that is stating that they will sell it, and they are expecting shipments. So, to ensure that more customers come, they limit a little. As one that did work part-time, in a retail store's sporting goods section, crates of shotgun shells are not light!

I just hope that the revolver calibers do NOT vanish before I get there! I do not own a hungry AR-15/AK-** series, that must be fed a lot.

RetiredUSNChief
January 27, 2013, 06:52 PM
FOLLOW-UP ON DICKS:

Went to a local Dicks...they're still selling guns and ammo with no plans not to.

However, every other place, their ammo shelves are barren because they sell their stock as fast as they get it in. I just missed being able to buy 9mm and .45 acp by a few hours.

Constrictor
January 27, 2013, 06:58 PM
Will hunting rounds like 270, 30-06, and 308 being affected the same?

The last time I was at Wally World (about 2 weeks ago), there was NOTHING! There were still 20 and 12 guage shells, but NO centerfires and NO rimfires. It was depressing to not even see a box of 22's.
You have just answered your own question. All calibers are affected and gone.

Tolkachi Robotnik
January 28, 2013, 12:10 AM
Here, .22LR, 9mm, and .223 are not available. Those are also generally of low expense historically. There are high dollar critical defense rounds of .45 ACP around, over a dollar a round, but no lower dollar .45 ACP. Most everything else is available, and some stores have restocked in response to this with full cases of almost every other center-fire round of deer rifle size cartridges. Maybe .308 is a little bought down. There are very few pistols, and a month ago the ones in the case were not going out very well.

There is every indication that the prices are going up. I believe in the near future the foreign makers will likely be available and for less mark up than our domestic producers. This based on .22WMR ammo freshly stocked, with Fiocchi being half priced compared to the others.

I have heard people talking that they knew someone who drove to six Super Walmart's and bought all the 9mm ammo from all six.

There needs to be some elasticity to the demand or this will get real ugly.

inkinskin
January 28, 2013, 07:16 AM
This is at each stores discretion. My local Walmart has the three box rule (which is funny cuz there is only about 3 boxes in the entire storage rack), but if you go to the town next to us their store has a six box rule. I have also talked to other shooters who live in rural areas and they are buying 10 - 12 boxes at a time, sometimes the whole case if they can. Rules are made to be bent and or broken. I have even heard of guys bribing the checkers to put a few boxes or a case aside for them when they get their shipments in.

mcdonl
January 28, 2013, 08:06 AM
My local walmart has plenty of .270, .243, 30-30 and 30.06

CLP
January 28, 2013, 09:52 AM
FOLLOW-UP ON DICKS:

Went to a local Dicks...they're still selling guns and ammo with no plans not to.

However, every other place, their ammo shelves are barren because they sell their stock as fast as they get it in. I just missed being able to buy 9mm and .45 acp by a few hours.

Any AR's, or just lever/bolt actions?

Shanghai McCoy
January 28, 2013, 10:56 AM
I remember that back in the 1990's when there was the big "primer panic" local stores limiting the amount of primers that us reloaders could purchase.
Funny thing, I recently used some that I had bought "way back then" and the price stickers were still on them.
Wish they were that cheap now...:rolleyes:

chevyman097
January 28, 2013, 11:36 AM
I dont see any problems with vendors trying help everyone have a chance at at least some of their small stocks. Limits can help more people get a little ammo rather than one person get lots of ammo.

But i do see an issue with the process already though.

First off, Im good on ammo for most all my firearms. But i still like to pick up little bits from time to time for target shooting, like 12 gauge. I go through lots of shotshells.

I noticed they had a limit of 3 boxes period.(I normally dont shop and wal mart due to their strange policies and other reason, but well options are few) While this seems to make sense there a flaw. See while I was there they had just sold the last 3 bulk packs of target loads to a guy in front of me. Each bulk pack has 4 boxes of 25 shells in them. So he got away with 12 boxes of 25 round target ammo. So im up next and im stuck only being able to get 3 single boxes of 25 shell target 12 ga loads.

If they are going to carry bulk packs and single boxes it should be a limit to one bulk pack or something of that nature as well. Their own system that is intended to be fair is flawed.

va1911
January 28, 2013, 11:49 AM
My Wally World interprets this as 3 boxes of any given caliber, not 3 total. people have figured out when the truck shows up and if you aren't there within 20 min of the unboxing you won't get any. It never hits the shelf.

soonerfan85
January 28, 2013, 01:15 PM
I suppose WalMart's 3 box limit may be working as I stopped by the WM in Magnolia last night on the way home from Dallas and they had 30-40 boxes of PPU 5.56. Got my 3 boxes, and the new windshield wipers I'd stopped in to get, and drove home. Still no .22 other than shorts and shotshells.

I stopped at the Academy store in Mesquite over the weekend and they probably 300+ boxes of Tula 7.62x39 with no limit. However, on any other caliber they have a one box limit? All the popular pistol calibers like 45acp, 9mm, 40S&W, 380 etc. were being kept at the service desk. Sooo, I picked up several boxes of 7.62 and ONE 50 rd box of Winchester .22. The guy at the gun counter said the reason for the one box limit was that some of the local Dallas area gun shops like B&S were coming in and buying up all their ammo and reselling it in their stores, leaving Academy with nothing to sell to their customers. The fact there was no limit on the 7.62 leads me to believe that it's becoming available to distributors again and Academy doesn't think they'll have problems restocking it.

Also found 38spcl and 357 mag available at the Cabella's in McKinney for pretty reasonable prices. Maybe we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. :)

xjsnake
January 28, 2013, 07:35 PM
This 3 box limit is the only reason I've been able to get my hands on any useful ammo in the last few weeks. I was able to get my 3 boxes of .380 today.

brolin_1911a1
January 28, 2013, 08:29 PM
I stopped into my local Wally World last Thursday evening, about 10:00 P.M. There were almost no customers, just lots of "associates" stocking shelves; obviously they'd gotten a truck in not long before. So I wandered back to the Sporting Goods Dept. and looked at the empty ammo shelves. A young man asked, "Can I help you?" When I said I was just looking to see if they had any .22LR ammo he said "You just missed it. We got 100 boxes of CCW Minimags in this evening and they were all gone within 1/2 hour at $7.97 per box." And that was with the 3 box per customer limit.

MagnunJoe
January 28, 2013, 11:01 PM
It makes no difference here in south Florida. No walmart has much of anything.

KLL
January 28, 2013, 11:23 PM
Just got back from my local Walmart, I was there late last Monday and they had a couple cases of 9mm that I relieved them of (they did not have the limit last week). This week they had just gotten Federal 100-round boxes of .223 in in (to my utter shock), already sold 3 of the 8 and they weren't yet on the shelf. I had my wife with me, but the associate was saying he's not supposed to sell more than 3 to us if we are "together". In the end we got the 5 boxes, but just a heads up that management at some locations are getting a little crazy and trying to limit it to 3 boxes per couple/group/party/whatever. Also, it was 3 boxes of anything combined, not 3 each of different types, according to the associate.

CZguy
January 28, 2013, 11:47 PM
Here's what my local Wal-Mart looks like. They need a new show called "Ammo hoarders" :p

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/badgerone/048_zps8df763cf.jpg

golfer_ray
January 28, 2013, 11:59 PM
That Walmart display looks really stocked compared to the ones in OKC. Like others referenced in another post, I now know when the trucks come in and are unloaded. It's funny because in North OKC it's 6 a.m. & in South OKC it's 5 p.m. I make it a daily routine now with my desk job to get a little exercise before work & walk into the north OKC store before 8:00 a.m. to look at the empty shelves. Today they had 3 of the 100 round boxes of Federal 115 gr 9mm & I felt like I won the lottery.

RetiredUSNChief
January 29, 2013, 03:12 AM
Any AR's, or just lever/bolt actions?

No, Dicks only has bolt action, lever action, and shotguns, which is consistent with what I've found online that they said they were doing. I didn't look close, but there may have been some semi-auto .22's.

Nothing resembling an AR-15 at all.

TheOld Man
January 29, 2013, 04:34 AM
DICK'S sells firearms?? One by me doesn't. Same deal with local Walmart. Clerk told me they aren't licensed to sell guns or ammo.

BigN
January 29, 2013, 05:32 AM
I don't mind the 3-box rule for 22lr but the problem is right now that there is NO 22lr here for anyone.

rhinoh
January 29, 2013, 06:24 AM
Be glad WalMart allows 3 boxes- I stopped at an Academy about 5 minutes after opening and was puzzled why all these old guys like me were hanging around the service counter.
Turned out they were placing all the just arrived ammo there and with a ONE box limit of each caliber with 3 total allowed.
I almost bought ONE box of 50 .22 ammo for $3.xx but decided I didn't want to wait in line that long....they had plenty.
If I had been able to get 3 boxes I might have waited, but as it is I made at least ONE other person happy:D

pockets
January 29, 2013, 08:07 AM
The Walmart nearest me also has the 3 box rule. You just have to FIND 3 BOXES FIRST.

OilyPablo
January 29, 2013, 08:40 AM
My closest Walmart (20 miles) never had much any ammo before the President started into shotgun sports, so this may or may not help. Every time I went in that nasty place, there would be 4 or 5 guys poking around the ammo section, but no ammo to speak of. I am really, really glad I stocked up.

mcdonl
January 29, 2013, 09:07 AM
When I said I was just looking to see if they had any .22LR ammo he said "You just missed it. We got 100 boxes of CCW Minimags in this evening and they were all gone within 1/2 hour at $7.97 per box." And that was with the 3 box per customer limit.

Thats my point. 33 customers left "happy" and the store sold $800 worth of ammo.

If a "free marketeer" bought $800 dollars worth only he would be happy and the other 32 would be SOL. Unless of course they went to the "Free maketeers" LGS and paid $15 a box. Where again... only one guy makes out.

Free market does not mean "I should be able to do what I want to" it means learning how to work withing the FREE MARKET by changing your tactics and techniques to meet the market, not just the demand.

chasgrips45
January 29, 2013, 06:50 PM
IMHO limiting ammo sales is fair. At least we all get some. As an aside, I wonder how long this shortage will last? It would be interesting to get a glimpse of what is going on in the ammunition factories. Maybe ,in fact the ammo manufacturers might be taking a little wait & see position. Any opinions, comments?

brolin_1911a1
January 29, 2013, 07:00 PM
I agree, Chasgrips45. During the last shortage after O'b was elected the first time, a FLGS owner used to station one of his employees to keep an eye out for the arrival of Walmart's supply trucks on the evenings they were expected to arrive. As soon as the truck arrived, the employee called FLGS owner who came down and parked himself at the Sporting Goods counter. The moment the Walmart employees pulled the pallet jack with ammo to the counter, he'd buy the entire pallet. He'd then offer it for sale at his shop for about 300% markup.

That went on for about two months with no one else in town getting a chance to buy any ammo unless they were willing to pay his hyperinflated prices. Finally Walmart instituted a six box per customer per day limit and the rest of us in town got a chance to also buy ammo. The odds of getting some still weren't the greatest; demand far outstripped what the store was receiving. But at least we had a chance.

Besides giving the rest of us a chance to buy ammo, the rationing policy benefited the store. When everyone knew there was no chance of finding ammo no one bothered to even go back there. Once there was at least a chance of finding ammo, people would wander back to the department and often realize that they could also use some gun lube, cleaning rods and jags, solvent, targets, and all the other gun-related goodies that keep a firearms store or department in the black.

6.5x55swedish
January 29, 2013, 07:01 PM
I think that the manufacturers are probably operating at their regular level of production or maybe even slower... Not because of the fact that holding back supply helps inflate prices.... but because if they ramped up production, in response to the supply shortages, and the media caught wind of it... they would be seen as capitalizing on a bad situation and would receive a lot of negative attention.

brolin_1911a1
January 29, 2013, 07:03 PM
Like they're receiving any positive attention from the media now?

I reallly don't think that's a consideration because the ammo and gun makers know that no matter what they do the media will spin things in a negative manner.

6.5x55swedish
January 29, 2013, 07:06 PM
CZ: Nice pic. Did you buy the two bricks of 22 LR on the top shelf?

My local walmart looks about the same as the pic you posted, less the 22 LR. But I have found that the local hardware store hasn't been impacted by the increased demand. My local True Value is fully stocked with everything they carried before... including .22 and .223

6.5x55swedish
January 29, 2013, 07:15 PM
Brolin

I haven't seen any news reports about ammo shortages... it is actually oddly quiet on the ammo front, occasionally a news report will mention a boom in background checks for gun purchases, but I haven't seen anything else.

Ct actually has a pretty significant gun and ammo manufacturing industry and the average citizen doesn't even realize it... many of the major manufacturer's are here including Colt, Marlin, Ruger, Mossberg and CVA. The last thing they want is some news outlet broadcasting that they are operating at mass production and have protesters at their doors... They are keeping a low profile.

aka108
January 29, 2013, 07:19 PM
When I purchased 6 cases of 22rf several years back my wife thought I was nuts. Same with powder, primers and bullets. There were no shortages of any of this at that time. The original Obama scare had run it course. I did not think he would be a two termer but know weird things can happen in politics and that if he did per chance make it in for a second term that this would happen so I hedged my ammo and reloading supplles early on. Glad I did. Should last thru the current panic.

brolin_1911a1
January 29, 2013, 07:35 PM
Brolin

I haven't seen any news reports about ammo shortages... it is actually oddly quiet on the ammo front, occasionally a news report will mention a boom in background checks for gun purchases, but I haven't seen anything else.

Ct actually has a pretty significant gun and ammo manufacturing industry and the average citizen doesn't even realize it... many of the major manufacturer's are here including Colt, Marlin, Ruger, Mossberg and CVA. The last thing they want is some news outlet broadcasting that they are operating at mass production and have protesters at their doors... They are keeping a low profile.

Well, if they should ever begin to feel unwanted in Ct., they can rest assured that we'd welcome them with open arms and friendly faces here in Missouri. As long as they don't try to settle in the urban Kansas City or St. Louis City environs any protestors would soon find themselves swamped with progun supporters. We would love to see any or all of them relocate here where the local paper publishes photos of hunters as young as 8 years of age posing with the deer or turkey they've harvested. Tell 'em to come on down. <grin>

c4v3man
January 29, 2013, 07:36 PM
Anything's fair, but the 3 box limit doesn't make as much sense on .22lr IMO. Maybe 3x 100's or 3x bricks, but 3 50rd boxes just doesn't last that long...

Stopped by the walmart near me today and the ammo section looked at least 2/3 stocked, but all the cheap stuff was gone. They have plenty of oddball and even premium standard calibers.

xwingband
January 29, 2013, 11:01 PM
Got the experience of two walmart due to having to get my motorcycle serviced in another county.

Mine had .223... but at 3 boxes 60 is nothing as it wasn't the 100 round "bulk" packs. Still got my 3. I was tempted to ask some friends to come over... or come back when someone else was working.:evil: They pretty consistently have had 7.62/.308 over the last 3 weeks.

Now the one a county away surprised me. It was Tul... but they had like 200 boxes of .380ACP. I haven't seen that many boxes EVER. They didn't have any other common calibers though.

I really like that they're doing the 3 boxes. Sure it's a bit silly, but people buying the whole shelf is hurting a lot more.

ODD NOTE: Does anyone buy those 135 grain low recoil Federal JHP?!?! Stupid crap is still on the shelf anywhere. LOL

6.5x55swedish
January 30, 2013, 07:19 AM
I doubt they will be moving any time soon... They have been here since their creation. Actually if you think about it all of the Manufactures who have been around for 100 or more years are based in the Northeast. The National Shooting Sports Federation is also here. They are like the NRA only they represent gun dealers and Manufacturers.. They have a lot of pull with local politics and were instrumental in getting Cabela's into East Hartford.

soonerfan85
January 30, 2013, 02:42 PM
I suppose as further evidence that ammo supply may be catching up in some areas, my brother just texted me to say that at 6:30 am this morning he bought a 1000 round can of Federal .223 at the Wal-Mart in Edmund OK for $400. Unfortunately he got the last can so none for little brother. As is typical for WM these days, they were selling ammo off the pallet. Just seems odd that ammo is going out in bulk cans when it's so hard to find right now.

soonerfan85
March 20, 2013, 11:58 AM
I know it's an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone else has run into a ONE box of ammo per customer at Wal-Mart? I was in North Arkansas visiting the inlaws this past weekend and ran in the WM in Russellville, AR to see if they had any 30-06 ammo. Saw four boxes of Remington 30-06 ammo on the shelf. Asked the clerk for two boxes and was told that as of the previous Sunday they are limiting ammo purchases to one box per customer. OK, so I bought my one box and left. Earlier that same day I bought one box of Federal Deer Thugs .308 at the WM in Dardenelle, but since I was only after one box I didn't notice if they had a one box limit or not. Curious if the individual WM stores are lowering the limit or if corporate is behind it? Has anyone else run into this?

brolin_1911a1
March 20, 2013, 12:07 PM
The last I knew (about a month ago) the local Wal-Mart here in West Plains, MO had a three box per customer limit. Not that it makes much difference because they never seem to have any ammo other than some 12 gauge and, perhaps, an occasional box of .30/30. Otherwise the shelves are bare.

The evening that I overheard one clerk telling the other Sporting Goods clerk about the three box limit happened to be a Thursday night about an hour after a truck had arrived. The aisles were packed with pallets and associates restocking shelves throughout the store. So I asked that Sporting Goods clerk if they had any .22LR. He laughed and said that I was too late. They'd received 100 100rd boxes (20 "bricks") of CCI Minimags an hour earlier. He said that it had sold out within half an hour even at the 3 box per customer limit.

The last time I went past that department the ammo shelves were almost completely bare. There were, IIRC, five 20rd boxes of Federal hunting rifle ammo at the far right edge of the shelves. Otherwise they were completely bare.

Batty67
March 20, 2013, 12:38 PM
I'm almost done checking local W-Marts for ammuntion. Even though not too time consuming, I'm batting like 1-10 in the last few weeks.

soonerfan85
March 20, 2013, 12:51 PM
Yeah I've had no luck finding .22 ammo at WM either, execpt for .22 shorts early on but even they are nonexistent now.

Just guessing, but I'd bet the WM in Russellville was getting enough complaints about never having ammo that they implimented the one box limit on their own. I called my local WM this morning and they still have a three box limit. Of course they never have any ammo when I go there.

jrhyne
March 20, 2013, 01:22 PM
I've read on other message boards about Wal-Mart distribution drivers unloading their palette of ammo in the back, and walking around the building thru the front door and proceeding to buy it all. They'll call in a girlfriend or buddy to help them get past the limits.

ultramag44
March 20, 2013, 01:55 PM
They have a 1-box limit now here in Texas. They cannot sell ammo before 7am. I got a 1000 round-count box of Winchester .22 LR ammo today.

Guys start lining up about .6:30 by the ammo counter.

Prophet
March 20, 2013, 02:00 PM
I was told at my local wal-mart that the shelves are stocked every morning at 7:00 and that a line has usually formed by 6:30. If I had a motorcycle I'd probably be riding out there every morning before work to take my place in line. I wish they'd vary their stocking times so that more people would get the opportunity to purchase ammo. The girl at the counter said most openly admit to putting the ammunition they purchase online and selling it at double the profit.

Arkansas Paul
March 20, 2013, 02:10 PM
Hot Springs Arkansas is still 3 box limit.

r1derbike
March 20, 2013, 02:27 PM
I picked-up several boxes of .45 auto ball at 2:00 AM night before last. First they had in months. I hope the shortage is easing.

Prophet: Thank you for your sig line. That's how to do it.

MagnumDweeb
March 20, 2013, 06:20 PM
Personally I hope they keep up the three box limit into the future. I can't tell you how many seedy pawnshops bought up ammo out Walmart to try and resell it at nearly double the retail price. A three box limit would help ease demand issues and allow those purchasing truly for themselves to have a chance at getting ammo. Walmart is a retail store not a whole seller, businesses can get their ammo any gun shop can and order it. If you want to use Walmart to stock your hoard then you can go a few times a week if it is that important to you. Buying three boxes a week is plenty to keep up my recreation shooting and stock up my hoard. The one box seems extreme but if it works it works.

Ignition Override
March 20, 2013, 06:31 PM
Prophet:

Do private sellers make enough money to make it Worth waking up very early just to stand in line at 0630?
Even if I knew how to earn a hundred bucks(+) a month selling ammo, there is no way that losing so much sleep, even a few times, and waiting... would be worth it.

Maybe those folks could do better by carrying resumes to another employer, if still working or studying.

labhound
March 20, 2013, 06:38 PM
Still a three box limit in the Southeast part of Virginia where I live. I bought 2 boxes of 9mm and one of 45acp at 4:00 p.m. a couple of days ago.

straightShot
March 20, 2013, 11:29 PM
The last I knew (about a month ago) the local Wal-Mart here in West Plains, MO had a three box per customer limit. Not that it makes much difference because they never seem to have any ammo other than some 12 gauge and, perhaps, an occasional box of .30/30. Otherwise the shelves are bare.

West Plains? I've been there numerous times on travel for work. I haven't been to the Walmart, though. Maybe by the next time that I get there, they'll have something on the shelves!

MagnunJoe
March 22, 2013, 12:36 AM
I gave up checking the 5 walmarts with-in a 30 mile radius of my house, that's right, 5.
I got tired of their B.S. so my next purchases will be online, but not unil the madness subsides & that may take a year.

brolin_1911a1
March 22, 2013, 07:21 PM
West Plains? I've been there numerous times on travel for work. I haven't been to the Walmart, though. Maybe by the next time that I get there, they'll have something on the shelves!

Heheh! What in the world is in West Plains that would bring a Michigan resident this far south for work? Medical industry?

In any event, I wouldn't count on it for awhile. I was in there two nights ago and other than a few (as in less than ten) boxes of oddball Federal rifle rounds there was nothing on the ammo shelves.

A friend who works with law enforcement over in Springfield, MO mentioned yesterday that the Walmarts there are talking about banning one particular individual. Managers compared notes and it seems that this character's been going to each store, buying the limit, and then putting it up on Gunbroker.com the next day for about 3 times Walmart's price. I believe Missouri has some sort of law against price gouging and LEOs in the Springfield area are working on getting this guy.

OilyPablo
March 23, 2013, 12:20 AM
Walmart in Yakima WA had zero pistol/rifle ammo.

mopar92
March 23, 2013, 02:08 AM
Nashville is 3 box limit, 1 box per household/family in anything bulk or ammo can. .22lr included. I'm perfectly happy with that. But the real sales happen out back as they unload the pallet.

Bill50
March 23, 2013, 02:25 AM
Everyone here supporting the free market is missing the real point. America does not have a free market if a president has the power to just say he might abuse his power, alter a market (ban the sale of certain consumer goods), and actually have an effect on the market.

Here we are 100 years after the American free market officially ended in 1913 still pretending we have a free market. I doubt anyone on this site has been around long enough to actually see a free market.

All rules of free market economics with regards to ammo can now be thrown out. Its hard to admit, but America is no longer a capitalist country. It hasn't been for a long time. I work in a heavily regulated subset of the financial sector. We don't ever try to predict actual values. We program and then try to justify crazy results from government regulated methodologies.

When all is said and done, the people that made these poor financial laws don't even know what they mean. They just ask for more money keep helping us to consult. When they get their things together, the just write new laws.

PabloJ
March 23, 2013, 03:49 AM
I'm glad Walmart does not stock 10mm ammo so I do not have to go to sporting department to view empty shelves.

alsaqr
March 23, 2013, 08:24 AM
Do private sellers make enough money to make it Worth waking up very early just to stand in line at 0630?

Well, maybe: Assuming that folks are desperate enough to pay such exorbitant prices. One guy on the web is selling Russian 9mm for $1.55 per round. Another is selling Federal 9mm at $46 for 50 rounds.

ultramag44
March 23, 2013, 03:45 PM
The one clerk @ the closest Walmart will tell you the day prior if he has ammo due in that night. He knows exactly what will arrive.

The other clerk lies and says, "We have no idea what's arriving on the truck."

joeschmoe
March 23, 2013, 04:25 PM
Rationing and price controls? You guys are okay with this?:banghead:

Capitalism is dead.
The Republic is doomed.

Agsalaska
March 23, 2013, 05:42 PM

Capitalism is dead.
The Republic is doomed.
I have a horrible problem with it. Wal-Mart, Academy, and Dicks need to raise their prices to match market demand so rationing will not be necessary.

But, as has been proven about a million times on this board, consumers just dont understand basic economics and will rebel against distributors who float the prices based on demand(only up of course). So for the sake of customer service they have to resort to what they are doing now.

Its sad really.

PabloJ
March 23, 2013, 05:50 PM

Capitalism is dead.
The Republic is doomed.
The ethical approach is to limit number sold per customer and not to increase price. Not all "socialist ideas" are bad
the public library system is one prime example of the socialist goodness.

Agsalaska
March 23, 2013, 05:54 PM
The ethical approach is to limit number sold per customer and not to increase price. Not all "socialist ideas" are bad
Absolute total complete utter nonsense.

That hurts my brain to even imagine trying to comprehend that.

PabloJ
March 23, 2013, 05:59 PM
Absolute total complete utter nonsense.

That hurts my brain to even imagine trying to comprehend that.
Have you actually lived in socialist state or does your "experience" comes from media BS they been feeding you?

Agsalaska
March 23, 2013, 06:01 PM
Hey Pablo, I have a question for you. Should it work the other way? You know, when supply outstrips demand and items and businesses are forced to mark down inventory, often to levels less than cost, in order to move them. So the honorable ethical thing for customers(you) to do would be to buy more than they may want at the original price? You know, to be eithical. Or does your world on work when it favors consumers?

You know what, never mind. :banghead:

Agsalaska
March 23, 2013, 06:03 PM
Have you actually lived in socialist state or does your "experience" comes from media BS they been feeding you?
Pablo,

I learned a long time ago not to argue with people on the fringes no matter which side they may be on. An argument about the advantages of socialism is on the fringe for me. So I am not going to argue with you. You can score yourself an internet win.

Have a good day.

joeschmoe
March 23, 2013, 06:36 PM
Wal-Mart is a business that has investors who expect to make a profit and pay taxes.

The Public Library is a not-for-profit public good funded by taxes and donations. Libraries do not compete to make money.

Do you see the difference now?

joeschmoe
March 23, 2013, 06:37 PM
My family escaped from a socialist country. They told me what they experienced. Does that count?

Malamute
March 24, 2013, 01:46 AM
Been looking at the local wal mart and a local shop, Shop has fair ammount of ammo of many calibers, only recently got 9mm in, but they seem to have a bit of many other things, and prices are about standard retail, other than the small amount of 22 they find somewhere, its been a bit high. The wal mart gets ammo in regularly, just not as much as they have in the past, and everyone buys it about as fast as they unpack it. There isn't any certain time it gets stocked, tho stocking late at night, and gone by morning isnt uncommon. I saw some on a pallet in the afternoon a week ago and had a sporting goods guy come unpack it and see what all they had. 17, 22 LR, 40 S&W, 45 auto, and 380's. By the time he had the cartons off the pallet and out on the counter, several other guys had come sniffing the ammo on the air currents. I bought some 22's (375 rd federals for $13 and change). He had 2 or 3 other guys buying ammo before it got into the display case. They say they get it in 2 or 3 times a week, it just doesn't last long.

They had powder and primers a few times I was in also. Like I said, no special time it gets stocked, I look for pallets stacked up near sporting goods and look to see if there's ammo. Would like a bit more 22, but I'm fine for the time being. I've bought a box or two for others when they couldnt find any, but have no intentions of buying it all up before the hoarders get it.

RetiredUSNChief
March 24, 2013, 08:14 AM
"Limit three per customer", "buy one, get one free", "monopoly", "employees of (company X) are not eligible to play", "employee discount", "senior citizen discount", "lemon law"...

A case can be made that "socialist ideologies" are responsible for all of these, and more, if you want to get right down to it. And where the government gets involved, I can see how the case may be made in some instances.

We can argue such dynamics until we're blue in the face. However, I refuse to believe that limits on quantities per customer by a commercial enterprise or business is socialism. When the government steps in and starts doing this, THEN I'll consider it. Until then, it's just a corporate marketing and customer service ploy which plays upon customer satisfaction. And customer satisfaction is very much a part of any economy, free market or otherwise.

The fact is that not every customer will be "satisfied" by any given marketing ploy and anybody who believes otherwise is sadly mistaken. Marketing strategies are based on understanding this. Name any business that's been around a while and see if you can truthfully say that 100% of the customers are 100% satisfied 100% of the time.

In one scenario, a run on the market results in scarce resources. Supply and demand drives the prices up as a result. Customer satisfaction is affected.

In another scenario, a run on the market results in scarce resources. Supply is limited to customers at a given market price in an attempt to provide for a larger customer base overall. Customer satisfaction is affected.

Either way, customer satisfaction is a very important corporate consideration in marketing...especially a "free market".

The fact that places like Walmart have clearly stated their policy on ammunition sales, including the reason why, and have also clearly stated that their policy will be revisited when the current crisis subsides tells me that this is a business decision, which is all about money. Not a case of government socialism. They believe that using this marketing approach, they will have a larger percentage of their customer base satisfied than if they raise the prices on their ammunition right now.

There is more to economics, even in a free market economy, than just "the law of supply and demand".

d-dogg
March 24, 2013, 08:41 AM
Chief, I agree with your reply.

Walmart rationing ammo is not socialism. On the other hand, if we are to believe we are a free market society, the gougers are doing nothing wrong, rather simply taking advantage of the law of supply and demand.

gunmn74
March 24, 2013, 09:23 AM
I saw a case of the 333 count bulk pack hollow point .22 on a pallet. I asked
about it and they got it off the pallet set it on the counter and I bought 3 boxes. 2 other guys saw this and each bought their three boxes leaving one box left that probably did not make it until I made it out the door. ($14.67 ea)
I have been going into Walmart at 7:00 pm almost every night for 3 weeks to look at the pallets in sporting goods that are sitting out before they stock it somtime between 7:00 and 8:00 pm. They do get ammo in it just rarely makes it to the shelf.

Agsalaska
March 24, 2013, 12:24 PM
Chief, You are right and is one reason I called the Pablo guys statement out as complete nonsense.

But it is still sad that Wal-Mart has to make a decision like that over smart economics.

RetiredUSNChief
March 24, 2013, 04:18 PM
It is sad that current events have lead to the existing market situation. However, that's what happens when events arise in which such runs on the market occur...people buy up all they can get, exceeding the capacity of the market to supply enough to maintain stock on the shelves.

When this happens, companies often change their policies in order to ride through the times. They do so for a reason: marketing, both current and future. Perception has a LOT to do with profits.

"Gougers" are a separate issue which many people also disagree with. Yes, I totally understand what "supply and demand" means in a free market enterprise. I don't care philosophically when supply and demand on the market causes prices to go up. It's an inconvenience, but them's the breaks.

True "gougers", in my opinion, are parasites. They act maliciously with the existing supplies available to people. Intent is everything to me. Got a truck load of supplies sitting in your garage? Fine, sell it for whatever you can get for it. Buying up all the scarce supplies off the shelves just to turn around and sell it at a huge profit margin in times of crisis? Bugger off...you're deliberately removing supplies from the hands of people who otherwise want/need it in order to artificially keep the prices inflated and to monopolize the availability through you.

I don't care what the law says about gouging. Such laws are extremely vague and, in my opinion, are too all-inclusive. It's impossible to gage intent they way they are written...they typically rely solely on whether or not a person is selling/reselling above pre-crisis pricing, which is NOT necessarily gouging.

Understand that while I'm not going to agree with everybody who says "there is no gouging, it's the law of supply and demand", I'm also NOT going to agree with everybody who says "he's taking advantage of the situation to gouge everybody on prices".

Both are extreme opposites of the spectrum on the subject, and the truth of any particular instance most often lies somewhere in between those extremes.

I've kind of drifted off-topic here, and I appologize. The subject has to do with Walmart's policy change, which they put out last January. The article linked in the OP had this to say from a Walmart representative:

Lundberg said, "We are trying to take care of as many customers as possible because supply is limited at this time." He said Walmart stores are monitoring supply issues daily and will address purchase limits once supply issues are resolved.

This is a corporate decision, made for some of the reasons I listed in my last posting. Let's leave it at that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wal-Mart adopts new ammo policy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!