Does OK have any 30 round mag regulations in any county?

PDA

GuyinTexas
January 24, 2013, 07:13 PM
I was under the impression that all of OK allows any kind of magazine, but a buddy of mine told me I was wrong. Anyone heard of such a thing?

If you enjoyed reading about "Does OK have any 30 round mag regulations in any county?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NavyLCDR
January 24, 2013, 07:19 PM
Yes, I've heard plenty of wrong things.

Oklahoma has complete state preemption of all firearms laws, BTW. If it ain't illegal in state law, than it ain't illegal anywhere in Oklahoma.

GuyinTexas
January 24, 2013, 07:19 PM
I feel kinda stupid, it took me way too long to get your joke.

NavyLCDR
January 24, 2013, 10:21 PM
I feel kinda stupid, it took me way too long to get your joke.
Maybe it just wasn't that good..... :-) There are no magazine limits in Oklahoma. But, believe it or not, a handgun carried loaded for self defense can be no more than .45 caliber in Oklahoma.

21-1290.6. Prohibited ammunition.
PROHIBITED AMMUNITION

Any concealed or unconcealed handgun when carried in a manner authorized by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and when loaded with any ammunition which is either a restricted bullet as defined by Section 1289.19 of this title or is larger than .45 caliber or is otherwise prohibited by law shall be deemed a prohibited weapon for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be punished for a criminal offense as provided by Section 1272 of this title or any other applicable provision of law. In addition to any criminal prosecution for a violation of the provisions of this section, the licensee shall be subject to an administrative fine of Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.
Added by Laws 1995, c. 272, 6, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Laws 2012, c. 259, 27, eff. Nov. 1, 2012.

So...here's a question - .45 ACP actually uses a .452" diameter bullet....which is also the same diameter as the .460 S&W. Are either of them legal for carry, neither of them legal? Only the .45 ACP and not the .460 S&W?

orionengnr
January 24, 2013, 10:27 PM
I think they have a law that you must own at least five. :)
Not sure if that is per rifle.

Bighouse Doc
January 24, 2013, 11:35 PM
I am sure they are speaking of caliber, and NOT bullet or bore diameter!

-Doc

Coop45
January 25, 2013, 12:06 AM
Can you get Texas Highways in Oklahoma?

BSA1
January 26, 2013, 10:46 AM
So...here's a question - .45 ACP actually uses a .452" diameter bullet....which is also the same diameter as the .460 S&W. Are either of them legal for carry, neither of them legal? Only the .45 ACP and not the .460 S&W?

The law you cited states larger than .45 caliber. If you carry the .45 to the third place it would include all sizes from .450 - .459". Thus I think you would not be in violation until you pack a .460" bullet or larger. Since I am frequently in Oklahoma I may pursue this issue as my favorite caliber is the .454" Colt and I don't want to volunteer to be a test case.

abajaj11
January 26, 2013, 11:43 PM

The law you cited states larger than .45 caliber. If you carry the .45 to the third place it would include all sizes from .450 - .459". Thus I think you would not be in violation until you pack a .460" bullet or larger. Since I am frequently in Oklahoma I may pursue this issue as my favorite caliber is the .454" Colt and I don't want to volunteer to be a test case.
Folks can pack a 45 acp all day long in OK. 2 of them if they like. or 3. Folks with a carry permit, that is.
:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Does OK have any 30 round mag regulations in any county?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!