There be 55gr FMJ bullets in the mail box.

PDA

Queen_of_Thunder
January 24, 2013, 08:47 PM
They finally arrived and all I need is a set of dies.

If you enjoyed reading about "There be 55gr FMJ bullets in the mail box." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
izhevsk
January 24, 2013, 08:48 PM
Nice! Congrats.

Queen_of_Thunder
January 24, 2013, 09:43 PM
Talk about being hard wired to the internet. Checking every 30 minutes then bingo I scored. An hour or two later they were gone.

Walkalong
January 24, 2013, 09:44 PM
That's been the norm lately.

bengals1975
January 24, 2013, 11:09 PM
They finally arrived and all I need is a set of dies.
That's funny, I'm in the exact opposite situation :)

Reefinmike
January 25, 2013, 12:04 AM
I found a few pieces of 223 brass at the range today :D . range was dead which is pretty rare but it was 15 degrees out and I figured I might as well collect while i can rather than grabbing a few pieces here and there in between cease fires.

armoredman
January 25, 2013, 12:21 AM
Me too, bengals, ran outa 55gr bullets a while ago...:(
Reffin, do you have a swager? Nice haul if non-NATO primer crimped.

ArchAngelCD
January 25, 2013, 01:16 AM
Reefinmike,
I don't know you guys who find all this brass at the range live but where I live I NEVER see any rifle brass left behind. All I can find is 9mm, 380 Auto and 40 S&W brass. I never see .223 brass or 38/357 brass. (or any other rifle brass either)

armoredman
January 25, 2013, 01:25 AM
I found a bunch of 223 brass just recently, thought it was NATO and was about to toss it, (no swager), and lo and behold, it's commercial Remington .223 brass, hallelujah. It's been tumbled and is ready to be deprimed/resized, trimmed, chamfered and re-primed soon.

Reefinmike
January 25, 2013, 02:23 AM
armored- no swager, I just use a hornady primer pocket reamer, does the job. its about half crimped lc/fc and half commercial

archangel- I gather from an outdoor public DNR range that is pretty darn busy on nice days. there are covered benches on a concrete pad. whatever lands on the concrete, shooters are expected to pick up and put in the scrap bin. There are very few range junkies/reloaders around. behind the concrete pad, there is very little, mostly just rusted out steel case. Today I went and cleared out probably 85% of the left side(which makes up ~70%) of the 50 yard range. My ar puts most casings in a 3 foot area 6 feet behind me and 6 feet to the right. if everyones guns threw the brass in front of the line... It would be a field day.

To be honest, saturday after browsing gunbroker and watching the panic buying, when I saw people paying between $180-260 per thousand 223 brass, I went to the range, did some shooting and gathered up 700 pieces in the 30 minutes before close. I put it up locally on armslist for a reasonable price and within an hour, I had 5 emails wanting it and i have been taking care of the people in order of their emails. Im selling it locally for $120/k(all cleaned up and shiny). its not easy work, its cold, my knees have imprints of x54 casings in them and my small tumbler got a mighty work out but I do not feel I am price gouging for the product I deliver, and I am only $50 worth of brass away from getting myself one of those fancy dillon 650's for nothing but freezing my arse off and many hours of tumbling, sorting, weighing and packaging :D

1KPerDay
January 25, 2013, 12:34 PM
Good job mike; better to make some money on it than let it sit there and rot. :cool:

45lcshooter
January 25, 2013, 06:01 PM
In this day in age, you need to be on the net 24/7 if possible to get a hold of reloading components. Its almost as beer at a bar at happy hour.

SSN Vet
January 25, 2013, 08:38 PM
Talk about being hard wired to the internet. Checking every 30 minutes then bingo I scored. An hour or two later they were gone

where did you score them?

hueyville
January 25, 2013, 09:12 PM
Or have a years/decades old relationship with you LGS. Support him and he will support you. Walked in to my favorite shop today and as I was walking to reloading section owner said, "have some things in the back for you." Soon 2 boxes of Hornady 22 caliber 75 grain moly coated, 500 count box 55 gr Hornady fmj, two boxes of 55 grain Nosler Varmegeddon's, 2 pounds of lil'gun, an 8 pound keg of CFE 223 and 3,000 CCI #41 small rifle primers. His reloading section was fully stocked with ~30 pounds various powder, large pistol & rifle primers and quite a few boxes of bullets. He asked me to be kind to his inventory as he had held back what he knew I wanted. Did add two pounds of a powder he had lots of and even bought two 30 round AR magazines just because he was not price gouging and they were nil-spec.with Magpul followers. He had about 50 with limit two per customer.

Bentley4700
January 25, 2013, 10:01 PM
I have a similar relationship with my LGS, a lil mom n pop here in town. I have been waiting for some .224 projectiles for a while. They where scheduled to arrive in their next shipment. I went in there today and the wife was almost in tears. She told me that the distributer cancelled their order for the projectiles because they would be unable to fulfill the order. She then said, "The shelves are almost empty and no one can get anything. I don't know what we are going to do." People assume all of this panic buying is good for business. But if there is nothing to sell...:(

armoredman
January 25, 2013, 11:49 PM
My LGS is a rip off artist, and I darken his door as infrequently as possible. if I was closer to Conquest Arms in Florence, AZ, I'd patronize them a heck of a lot more! But, sadly, not close enough. ;(

izhevsk
January 26, 2013, 01:33 AM
Nice, huey - sounds like you have a good thing going with that.

I'm so excited, I actually get to go shooting tomorrow. Spent a large part of the evening cleaning and inspecting what I'll be taking along tomorrow. Going shooting is fun and all, but I think I'm most excited about collecting my brass and having something to reload!

If you enjoyed reading about "There be 55gr FMJ bullets in the mail box." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!