Threading SKS

PDA

MJProjects
January 24, 2013, 09:59 PM
Hi, I am researching threading a norinco SKS barrel that was cut just before the bayonet lug. I am curious if it could simply be threaded using one of the readily available kits or whether the 'new' muzzle may be a different size than the original muzzle before it was cut? Any advice would be much appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Threading SKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bainter1212
January 24, 2013, 10:42 PM
If the barrel is tapered, it will be tapered for the entire length. If it's not tapered (and I don't believe SKS barrels are) then the diameter should be the same as was originally at the muzzle, making it entirely possible to use one of the kits found with a google search. Good luck.

backbencher
January 25, 2013, 04:55 PM
If it's a post-'89 import (probably) then you're subject to 922r on the Chinese SKS.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSKSVerifyCompliance

I believe threading the muzzle is 1 evil point on an imported rifle, according to our beloved BATFE.

WardenWolf
January 26, 2013, 11:25 AM
No, threading isn't "evil". For a long period of time they refused to allow any rifle to be imported that had a threaded barrel, because it "could" accept a flash hider. However, it's not on the 922(r) list, and now they've lightened up on that significantly. You're allowed to thread it and just install a brake.

If you enjoyed reading about "Threading SKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!