It just got very real in my home!

PDA

gamestalker
January 24, 2013, 11:43 PM
As my post says, it just got very real and now I'm extremely angry with our law makers.
Yesterday my 5 yr. old Grand Daughter, almost 6 yrs. old, came home from school hysterical, shaking, and crying uncontrollably due to a school lock down. What happened is a man was spotted on the school property with a gun in his hand. A staff member attempted to make contact with him, but the individual ran and then jumped over a fence before LE arrived on the scene. Even with the Sherriff office only 1 mile away they still didn't arrive in time to apprehend the man or question him.
While all the BS about gun bans and more rediculous firearm restrictions is being worked on by the politicians, nothing is being done to protect our children. Safety is not even in the initial stage of planning. When are the citizens of this country going to realize that gun bans will have absolutely no impact on violent offenders, and will nto in any way, shape, or form make us safer. When will the common citizen realize that they are completely responsible for their own safety and welfare. Wne will the average every day citizen realize that when only seconds count, the police are minutes away! When?

GS

If you enjoyed reading about "It just got very real in my home!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Midnight Oil
January 24, 2013, 11:51 PM
:fire: AMEN! :D

When you see things like this happening, it becomes apparent that the majority of people just don't want to take responsibility. After all, it is a lot of work that needs to be done on my part. It's so much easier to have someone else take care of my problems while I go about doing my daily business... The politicians and MSM are just taking advantage of this fact. Most of us are too damn lazy to do anything about our own problems. Hold on... gotta check my texts, update my facebook, and tweet what i'm doing right now. :neener:

The_Next_Generation
January 24, 2013, 11:51 PM
I completely understand your rage. I go to school at Georgia Tech in downtown Atlanta, and every week people get mugged or worse. We are totally defenseless, and nobody seems to realize it :fire::banghead:

shuvelrider
January 24, 2013, 11:52 PM
Sad to say, when they wake up from being sheeple and think for themselves.

BHP FAN
January 24, 2013, 11:53 PM
they realize it. they don't care.

CB900F
January 24, 2013, 11:55 PM
Gamestalker;

It's a very unfortunate fact that it usually takes a real threat, or act, of violence to get the average American's attitude reset. With over 300 million of us in this country, the odds of something actually happening to any single individual are still low. Therefore it's much easier for average John & Jane Doe to maintain the worldview spoon-fed to them via the nightly news. It's a sad fact that our incidence of violence in this country would have to increase dramatically in order to revise the current prevalant average thought pattern regarding it.

I don't know what the correct answer to the problem is. Sites like this, where a different mind-set than the national average is the norm, are the choir. Getting the truth out to the citizens is supposed to be the job of the media. However, the media is politicized and our version of reality is not their version. Therefore the preacher isn't doing his job. But I don't know how to fire him.

900F

r1derbike
January 24, 2013, 11:57 PM
They don't care. I feel your frustration. Perhaps it's time to address the issues with that school regarding protection of its students? Unbelievable!

Carter
January 25, 2013, 12:03 AM
I don't know if most people live in a bubble, think they are invincible, that naive, or that dependent on others for their protection, but it really is sad and pathetic. I don't mean that as personal insult, just that the reality is escaping them with all the evidence present.

It took me over a year to turn my mom from a semi-anti in to an ardent 2A person. She still doesn't carry, but thats cause she just isn't that comfortable with firearms, but now she thoroughly supports them. I also am pretty active on facebook with 2a posts. I've opened a few peoples minds, but I hope in turn they will do the same. After awhile it reaches hundreds of people. Hopefully.

Educate who you can, stay active with your reps, call the school, do whatever you think will help or get awareness out, and CARRY on.

gunnutery
January 25, 2013, 12:06 AM
I'm sorry your grand daughter had to go through that, though I'm glad no one was hurt. It is very maddening!

RetiredUSNChief
January 25, 2013, 12:08 AM
Interesting to note would be my own children's response to the current increase in school security measures.

For reference, I have three children: one son (14) and two daughters (13 and 11).

They have exhibited an intuitive grasp of the current idiocy with respect to such matters as armed policemen or armed security in the schools. And it isn't because they have been raised by "gun nuts" either, because my wife and I are most certainly not gun nuts.

They question why it's not the bad guy(s) who are held responsible, why anybody thinks that such measures would stop someone from actually hurting/killing children anyway, and what the odds are that any such event would happen in the first place (given that there are tens of thousands of schools nationwide).

And one even made the connection about such acts occuring in a place were guns aren't allowed in the first place, so of course it makes sense that someone would commit such a crime there...there's nobody allowed to shoot back!

There is hope for the future generation(s). I have seen it.

:D

Cesiumsponge
January 25, 2013, 12:15 AM
Gun bans won't make schools safer, but schools ARE already pretty darned safe. You forget that Columbine had an armed sheriff's deputy, Neil Gardner, patrolling the school on April 20, 1999. Virginia Tech had police on campus. 89% of schools have controlled access to buildings, 45% have controlled access to school grounds, and 27% of schools currently have daily police or security. There are 50 million school-aged youths in America. The data below, provided by the government, shows homicides and victimizations on school campuses. You're probably safer in school than running around in public. You'll notice that school-related crimes have dropped precipitously the last two decades and homicides have remained somewhat consistent, with some dips and peaks.

Table 1.2. Number of school-associated violent deaths of students, staff, and nonstudents, by type: School years 1992–93 to 2009–10
https://nces.ed.gov/programs/crimeindicators/crimeindicators2011/tables/table_01_2.asp

Table 2.1. Number of nonfatal victimizations against students ages 12–18 and rate of victimizations per 1,000 students, by type of victimization, location, and year: 1992–2010
https://nces.ed.gov/programs/crimeindicators/crimeindicators2011/tables/table_02_1.asp

Percentage of schools with various security measures, by school control and selected characteristics: 2007-08:
https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d11/tables/dt11_168.asp

jamesbeat
January 25, 2013, 12:30 AM
I hate to be the one to say this, as I know your family must still be reeling from todays events, but is anything being done to make sure this guy doesn't come back, or to deal with him if he does?

I don't want to sound alarmist, but it would be prudent to give this some thought.

Ms_Dragon
January 25, 2013, 12:41 AM
The poor little petal!

I hope she was able to regain a small measure of calm and reassurance.
If it was my children I would be vastly reluctant to send them back into that environment until the perp. was caught.

I'd also be inquiring if any schools in the district had armed guards.

Might be time for a change if school if it's at all feasible.

InkEd
January 25, 2013, 12:44 AM
EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL SHOKTING COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED OR DRASTICALLY SHORTENED BY HAVING EVEN A SINGLE PERSON ON SITE TO DEFEND AGAINST THE ATTACKER(S).

You guard things of value! You lock your house doors. You beep the alarm on your car. You put your money and jewelry in vaults. Do people not value their children?

Cesiumsponge
January 25, 2013, 12:51 AM
Did anyone bother to read my post? Did anyone bother to look at the current gubment statistics on school homicides, school violence, and security measures in schools?

Honest John
January 25, 2013, 01:00 AM
If we're relying on hearsay from a five year old child, I'm not sold on the "very real" part. Nothing personal.

Arbo
January 25, 2013, 01:14 AM
When will the common citizen realize that they are completely responsible for their own safety and welfare. Wne will the average every day citizen realize that when only seconds count, the police are minutes away! When?

If they are not conservatives... NEVER.

9MMare
January 25, 2013, 01:19 AM
Gun bans won't make schools safer, but schools ARE already pretty darned safe. You forget that Columbine had an armed sheriff's deputy, Neil Gardner, patrolling the school on April 20, 1999. Virginia Tech had police on campus. 89% of schools have controlled access to buildings, 45% have controlled access to school grounds, and 27% of schools currently have daily police or security. There are 50 million school-aged youths in America. The data below, provided by the government, shows homicides and victimizations on school campuses. You're probably safer in school than running around in public. You'll notice that school-related crimes have dropped precipitously the last two decades and homicides have remained somewhat consistent, with some dips and peaks.

Table 1.2. Number of school-associated violent deaths of students, staff, and nonstudents, by type: School years 199293 to 200910
https://nces.ed.gov/programs/crimeindicators/crimeindicators2011/tables/table_01_2.asp

Table 2.1. Number of nonfatal victimizations against students ages 1218 and rate of victimizations per 1,000 students, by type of victimization, location, and year: 19922010
https://nces.ed.gov/programs/crimeindicators/crimeindicators2011/tables/table_02_1.asp

Percentage of schools with various security measures, by school control and selected characteristics: 2007-08:
https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d11/tables/dt11_168.asp

Agreed. Are people suggesting we make schools into prisons? Because I dont see any other way to prevent *almost* all random violence.

And it definitely wont stop the normal violence & crime between kids.

I sure as heck dont want to pay for prisonizing schools (not to mention what that would do to the kids mentally).

Again.....kids are safer in schools than they are in your cars or at their friend's houses with pools or out in the street on their bikes.

pockets
January 25, 2013, 08:50 AM
Fear of everything?
Yesterday they locked-down five schools in this county....Because one man was stopped by the police on a road near one school, then he ran from the police. Why did he run? Was he a AR-totin' madman out to massacre students?
Nope....he just had an outstanding traffic ticket warrant.
Yet they locked down five schools for several hours until this madman was apprehended and we were all safe from dead-beat driver!

Unreasonable fear of 'what if' is far worse than reality in most cases.

G.barnes
January 25, 2013, 09:18 AM
maybe if we could get sheriff's to explain the benefits of concealed carry it would have a more rational impact than one of us "gun nuts" saying it. hearing the police tell you ma'am you should be able to protect yourself completely using whatever means you have including a gun, because I may not get to you in time. if they told people how many times they were to late they people would start to feel a little fear.

scaatylobo
January 25, 2013, 09:52 AM
The simple truth is that there has NEVER been a 'gun problem' at the schools where the presidents children go.

ALL presidents children that is.

So lets start with what any and all "active shooters" would know about that school.

There are HEAVILY armed men there with submachine guns and handguns and they will shoot you dead if you attempt to harm any there.

SO,using this as an example can you see the OBVIOUS answer to schools being safe ?.

I say this falls under the K.I.S.S. principle :banghead:

CharlieDeltaJuliet
January 25, 2013, 10:07 AM
Sorry to hear that Gamestalker. I wish these politicians would realize that criminals don't follow the laws. When it comes to our children, we as parents, the schools and governments should do anything and everything to protect them. They can make all of the gun free zones and new laws they want, all this does is make it harder to protect our children.

As a father myself, I know what I would do to protect ANY child. Until I became a father it never hit quite as close to home. It is a sad day in this nation, that we protect our money and valuables better than our children. IMO schools need armed guards. We live in an overpopulated, depressing world that allows the media to talk about these mass murderers for months. We have also become too lenient on criminals. We have to be careful not to tread on their rights...... Ugh... Enough of the rant.

What I am trying to say in my long-winded way is, things need to change. As much as I email, write and call about gun rights, I do the same about better protecting our children. We need to apply pressure to our politicians about better security for schools. Right now it is easy to forget that while the battle for the 2nd amendment is going on.

Ryanxia
January 25, 2013, 11:47 AM
There needs to be an elimination of gun free zones PERIOD. If New Yorkistan or Commiechussets doesn't want guns near their precious kids let them pay the price of their deaths, for my area I want a teacher or principal or parent to be armed to the teeth if they so choose.

Just One Shot
January 25, 2013, 11:51 AM
While all the BS about gun bans and more rediculous firearm restrictions is being worked on by the politicians, nothing is being done to protect our children. Safety is not even in the initial stage of planning.

While the polititians are dragging their feet, here in Ohio Buckeye Firearms has announced a program to provide teachers who are interested, free tactical training. It's free of charge to the teacher but it cost $1000.00 each for the organization to provide so they are seeking donations from the members and anyone who would like to see this succeed.

They filled the 1st class within 20 mins. of annoucing the availabilty and there are schools that have already stated they will be arming certain teachers as a deterent.

Those of you who are interested in the program or who would like to start up something of this nature in your State, you can go here to read up on it. I'm sure that if you have any questions the fine folks at Buckeye Firearms would be more than willing to help you in any way they can.

Link:

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/

Strange Bob
January 25, 2013, 11:55 AM
One response:

http://www.kmsstv.com/news/second-etx-school-district-allow-select-staff-carry-concealed-handguns

Yo Mama
January 25, 2013, 12:08 PM
gamestalker, first, thank God everyone is ok.

I am in AZ also, with kids in school. I suggest you request a security meeting with parents, teachers, and the Principal. We had one last night,....which went ok.

Bottom line, they are going to say they don't have the money, and you as a parent will have to raise the money in the community, which is what we are doing.

There were a few ideas I didn't think of from a few Police Officers in attendance:

1. Challenge anyone who doesn't belong. Easy to tell without a visible patch or badge. Parents need to be aware, and follow the rules as well.

2. The outside of the school, coming into the entry ways, must be treated like a cockpit. No one can pass through, no matter what. Harden these areas first. You can spent money on everything, but this takes money out of the school budget.

3. AZ law is a little unclear. At a charter school, staff may have the right to carry CCW. We are investigating options for this, but unfortunately Parents were split, about 60 percent for, the rest against. The Principal is really for, so I think they will keep looking at options.

We discussed many options, let me know if you'd like I can send you the list of options we are taking first.

Security also takes other forms I had not thought of. In responding to other emergencies such as disasters, the school is also not prepared. Small things like shade for the kids, if they need to be on the asphalt for 4 hours if a plane hit the school. Carpets for the ground to sit on. Alarms for a door that a child can get through.

Bottom line, demand a meeting, and form a committee to start taking action. If they are not willing to do this with you, leave the school and enroll where they take this seriously.

God bless.

premier1
January 25, 2013, 12:16 PM
It's amazing how criminals evidently can't read the signs for gun free zones. No one wants to believe that our schools are targets for these crazies. But despite the statistics pointing to the safety of our schools, when these terrible crimes happen it creates a hysteria. The answer of course as we here on this site all know is certainly not more gun control laws of any kind. We should have a national ban on these gun free zones,we also should have our states CCW permits honored in evert state.Magazine capacity legislation is a real joke I'm sure criminals are not going to worry about how many rounds they have.And finally wether we like it or not,or want to admit it or not schools are a targeted area.We didn't want to believe for years about planes,but we finall put armed air marshalls on planes. As much as we hate it schools need better securty. I work in armed security and I believe it's needed in schools as a detirent.Why do schools not have armed security currently it comes down to two reasons,money and potential liability. There are things however we can do to make the whole of our country safer and believe me it's not more laws.

Mayo
January 25, 2013, 12:25 PM
I don't know who is making some of these decisions. I can tell you I have 1 child in elementary school where (since Sandy Hook) there is a uniformed officer on school grounds open to close---meanwhile, my other son in middle school has nobody there. Same school district, same county. I can't tell you how much more peace of mind I have with my younger son having somebody posted at his school! Now IF you were going to do something which school are you going to? :banghead:

Njal Thorgeirsson
January 25, 2013, 01:48 PM
In my opinion, its no accident that their proposed restrictions will not reduce violence.

I am no conspiracy theorist, I'm always as logical and realistic as I can be. But I think its fairly well-established that the anti-gun politicians are willing to use the deaths of children in aiding their political agendas by enstating restrictions that would not have saved lives (as opposed to taking other measures, such as mental health research and funding etc, that may prevent future trageties). I think they want violence like this to continue, so that in the future when mas shooting continue they may further restrict firearms.

icanthitabarn
January 25, 2013, 01:54 PM
Maybe a few million little kids and their clear thinking parents could bombard the media and ask them to do storys asking our leaders /sarc. to make sure some good men with guns are close to them. The average six yr. old would grasp the concept. Maybe also ask them to not scare and punish them for child games and drawings.

gossamer
January 25, 2013, 01:56 PM
Very sorry to hear your granddaughter and her classmates was/is traumatized.

At least the reaction and quick thinking seems to have de-escalated the incident and run off the BG, no one was hurt, and no one had to fire a shot.

While the politics is maddening, at least her school was not the scene of something worse than a lock down.

I'm not sure how this situation would have changed had anyone in the school been armed; however, from this moment on, it would be very good to know that someone at that school is armed and prepared to mitigate any future threat should one arise.

9MMare
January 25, 2013, 02:03 PM
gamestalker, first, thank God everyone is ok.

I am in AZ also, with kids in school. I suggest you request a security meeting with parents, teachers, and the Principal. We had one last night,....which went ok.

Bottom line, they are going to say they don't have the money, and you as a parent will have to raise the money in the community, which is what we are doing.

There were a few ideas I didn't think of from a few Police Officers in attendance:

1. Challenge anyone who doesn't belong. Easy to tell without a visible patch or badge. Parents need to be aware, and follow the rules as well.

2. The outside of the school, coming into the entry ways, must be treated like a cockpit. No one can pass through, no matter what. Harden these areas first. You can spent money on everything, but this takes money out of the school budget.

3. AZ law is a little unclear. At a charter school, staff may have the right to carry CCW. We are investigating options for this, but unfortunately Parents were split, about 60 percent for, the rest against. The Principal is really for, so I think they will keep looking at options.

We discussed many options, let me know if you'd like I can send you the list of options we are taking first.

Security also takes other forms I had not thought of. In responding to other emergencies such as disasters, the school is also not prepared. Small things like shade for the kids, if they need to be on the asphalt for 4 hours if a plane hit the school. Carpets for the ground to sit on. Alarms for a door that a child can get through.

Bottom line, demand a meeting, and form a committee to start taking action. If they are not willing to do this with you, leave the school and enroll where they take this seriously.

God bless.

Thank you for recognizing your obligations as parents to finance your beliefs.

I would mention tho, that the Newtown school in CT HAD a specific, controlled, security entrance....and the shooter knew it and went in thru a window. That's why it seems to come down to making schools into prisons if you want to eliminate ALL possibility of mass shootings (and even then I doubt it would work 100% of the time).

VI-Shooter
January 25, 2013, 04:24 PM
I am not seeing or hearing nearly enough about the DETERRENT affect of eliminating "gun free zones" and having armed personnel at our schools. Having someone armed and present is great for a response, but I am of the opinion that even the crazies are less likely to target our schools is they know of an armed presence there.

armoredman
January 25, 2013, 04:48 PM
gamestalker, you post from SW AZ, but I can tell you my little corner of South Central AZ, Pinal County, has a Sheriff that has called for training and arming of teachers/admin. Steps in the right direction.

btg3
January 25, 2013, 05:03 PM
Did anyone bother to read my post? Did anyone bother...
Some forums tend to be more about posting and less about reading -- which tends to thwart meaningful dialogue. Is there anything of note you'd like to discuss from anyone's post other than your own? Just sayin'...

orionengnr
January 25, 2013, 05:04 PM
When are the citizens of this country going to realize that gun bans will have absolutely no impact on violent offenders, and will not in any way, shape, or form make us safer. When will the common citizen realize that they are completely responsible for their own safety and welfare. When will the average every day citizen realize that when only seconds count, the police are minutes away! When?

The moment that something happens in their own back yard...and not a moment sooner.

Unfortunately. :mad:

huntsman
January 25, 2013, 05:23 PM
home school or private school, it time for the citizens to wake up and realize public school has not real interest in teaching or protecting kids they're all about maintaining the bureaucracy and providing union jobs. Like you said OP it's your job to protect and educate yours.

breakingcontact
January 25, 2013, 06:17 PM
People need to pull their kids out of these failing public schools. Home school or send them to good private schools. If you can't afford those options cut back on your lifestyle. Its pathetic how unsecure the schools are. We guard things we care about with gates and armed guards right? But not at school?

9MMare
January 25, 2013, 06:24 PM
I am not seeing or hearing nearly enough about the DETERRENT affect of eliminating "gun free zones" and having armed personnel at our schools. Having someone armed and present is great for a response, but I am of the opinion that even the crazies are less likely to target our schools is they know of an armed presence there.
Armed guards and not being gun-free zones (in many states) doesnt keep banks from being robbed.

Texan Scott
January 25, 2013, 06:38 PM
Gamestalker,

I am glad your granddaughter is safe. What upsets me (and I suspect you as well) is not simply that a nut got run off (a good thing, right?) but that the schools' response scared her so badly.

As adults, we need to understand the difference between taking responsibilty for being safe, and merely feeling safe. Our children, on the other hand, need to feel safe, period. It is up to the adults to ensure that they are safe, but also that they feel safe.

Yo Mama's comment were spot on. Our children need to be going to schools that give thought to these things so the children never have to. I do believe that replacing "gun free zone" signs with "armed response" signs is a good step, but safety and security precautions need to be planned in far greater depth, to include access control, disaster preparedness, and emergency medical response. As parents, grandparents, and taxpayers, we should be demanding this, loudly.

No schoolchild should be afraid to go to school. Shame on the school for not handling this without frightening the kids, and shame on us if we don't find a better response than this.

gamestalker
January 25, 2013, 06:42 PM
Honest John,
This was not from the mouth a 5 yr. old! There were letters sent home informing parents of the incident, and it was also in the news, it was by no means from the mouth of a terrified 5 yr. old.
Cesiumsponge, I did read your post which only further identifies the ill placed mind set of society, in my opinion. LE patrol on campus property doesn't stop an armed man assailent before he gets into the building and starts shooting. Locked doors don't stop this, cameras don't stop it. We need armed security that can confront such threats, and before they have the opportunity to start shooting innocent victims at wiil. It takes only seconds for an armed individual to do his deadly deed, and only, only an armed security detail has any chance of preventing that threat from carrying out his intentions. Schools are safe? I respectfully disagree. In fact yesterday a student was caught with a handgun in the school, second incident in 2 days in the same city.
And threats in the schools between students is no different when refering to an armed threat. But I will say this much, an armed security detail on site and in the building will increase the chance of stopping such a threat and would be far more preventive in this respect than waiting for LE to respond, which is typically much after the fact.
According to statistics, most will not ever encounter a deadly situation in their life time, I am not one of those and have multiple times in my life. But stats don't tell the whole story. Many never report such threats because of state laws that would charge them for even carrying a weapon in their state. My Sister and myself have not reported them for that very reason, so don't go quoting statistics to me. I would most certainly not be here today if not for my best friend on my hip.
GS

gamestalker
January 25, 2013, 07:13 PM
Armoredman, I am very aware of your great sherriff and think he is moving in the right direction. I just read about him sending a letter to Obama in regard to better school security in this manner.

Texan Scott, I couldn't agree more about how the school handled this incident. My Grand Daughter has not stopped talking about this incident, and it took hours to calm her down and to get her to stop bursting into tears.

Just One Shot, this is not surprising and would certainly add to the security needed in schools. I have friends that teach, and they have clearly stated that they would take such courses and accept the responsibility to carry a CW. The politicians are making this into a big financial budget issue, when in fact, arming teachers would greatly reduce any budget impact needed to defend our schools. Adding LE to our streets isn't what we are asking for, and it sure wouldn't have much, if any, impact on this type of violence.

GS

Cesiumsponge
January 26, 2013, 01:55 PM
The simple truth is that there has NEVER been a 'gun problem' at the schools where the presidents children go.The simple truth is that there has NEVER been a 'gun problem' at any of the public schools myself or any of my siblings attended (anecdotal), or an overwhelming number of schools in America. Close to 30% of schools in America already have security guards or law enforcement presence daily. We had homeless vagrants wandering through school property all the time. Today they'd lock down the school for such incidents, I bet. This is just as bad as liberals who cherry pick rare events and pass them off as something happening around every town and city in America as rationalization to ban the methodology in which those bad things are carried out. It's arguable that MORE HARM is being done by zero tolerance policies where administrators treat kids like criminals or even expel them for sheets of paper with a tear in it that makes it look "gun like" (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/24/fifth-grader-searched-berated-paper-gun/)or talking about blowing bubbles at school. (http://newsfixnow.com/2013/01/25/mention-of-bubble-gun-gets-child-suspended-labeled-terrorist/)Some forums tend to be more about posting and less about reading -- which tends to thwart meaningful dialogue. Is there anything of note you'd like to discuss from anyone's post other than your own? Just sayin'...
Yes. My initial post with figures from the government was in response to thwart the Chicken Little mentality theme. I was unsuccessful.Cesiumsponge, I did read your post which only further identifies the ill placed mind set of society, in my opinion. LE patrol on campus property doesn't stop an armed man assailent before he gets into the building and starts shooting. Locked doors don't stop this, cameras don't stop it. We need armed security that can confront such threats, and before they have the opportunity to start shooting innocent victims at wiil. It takes only seconds for an armed individual to do his deadly deed, and only, only an armed security detail has any chance of preventing that threat from carrying out his intentions. Schools are safe? I respectfully disagree. In fact yesterday a student was caught with a handgun in the school, second incident in 2 days in the same city.
If it takes seconds for a rampage shooter to do his deed and you want a reasonable armed response time (say, 15-30 seconds), you're going to need a dozens of armed security guards placed in a manner so they can visually cover most of the school inside and out, assess the situation, and engage any target inside 30 seconds. That isn't realistic. You'd have more luck arming all teachers since they'd cover more ground without much additional expense.

Columbine and Virginia Tech are good examples of how armed presence is worthless if it fails to act or is too far away. I'm not suggesting "do nothing" or remove all armed presence. I agree it'll increase the chances of stopping a massacre, but what kind of probabilities are we trying to stop? Are we more concerned with stopping rampage killers, the rarest type of gun-related school incident? Or are we more concerned with stopping angry kids who steal their parent's guns? Or gang members settling a score? Or curious kids that'll sneak their old man's gun to school for showing off? Is it really guns in the hands of kids that is the issue or the nature of society today? The older folks will remember kids used to bring rifles and archery equipment to school so they could go target practice or hunting after classes were over.
Schools are still safe compared to the statistical background crime rates in the general public. How was the kid with a handgun at that school caught? Was he showing it off? Did it fall out of his backpack? Was he planning to shoot someone? A handgun concealed in a backpack could only be discovered with mandatory metal detector checkpoints or a fortuitous event. Should we simply put metal detectors at every controlled access point in school buildings? That would take care of the issue of stopping everyone but a rampage shooter.
But stats don't tell the whole story. Many never report such threats because of state laws that would charge them for even carrying a weapon in their state....My Sister and myself have not reported them for that very reason, so don't go quoting statistics to me.
I appreciate you survived against the scumbags of society but your reporting or not reporting an armed incident against a lethal force attack, which didn't contribute to specific statistics, is irrelevant in the matter of the statistics of dead kids. The government isn't cooking books and no one is failing to report dead kids to lower the number of fatalities listed under "Number of school-associated violent deaths of students, staff, and nonstudents, by type". The 77% drop in violent crimes on school campuses listed under "Number of nonfatal victimizations against students ages 1218 and rate of victimizations per 1,000 students, by type of victimization, location, and year" isn't being cooked either considering the "zero tolerance" policy in public schools been getting increasingly authoritarian the last several decades. If anything, I'd have expected a rise in yearly reported violent incidents because more incidents like fisticuffs at school would now be listed as violent crimes. School officials today scrutinize even more instead of taking the lax "boys will be boys" mantra of letting poop slide.

Statistics can't take everything into account and I am not disagreeing with you on that matter. You can't simply throw out all records and statistics. It's understandable that certain types of statistics can be flawed, such as reporting use of a firearm, especially since the possibility exists that you might be arrested, or at the very least tied up in criminal and civil court. Not every statistic has such wide latitude for erroneous representation and reporting.

If you enjoyed reading about "It just got very real in my home!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!