Boker Kalashnikov

PDA

Okiegunner
January 25, 2013, 12:21 AM
Boker AK-74 Kalashnikov...

Is this a "real" Boker knife?

From what I can tell, this knife seems to be reasonably well made and thought of. Appears to be made in Taiwan, from a Boker design, using Japanese AUS-8 steel.

Sound about right?

If you enjoyed reading about "Boker Kalashnikov" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
January 25, 2013, 02:32 AM
Yes, it is a Boker.

Stainz
January 25, 2013, 09:42 AM
Boker = Solingen, Germany
Boker Plus = Mainly PRC, some Taiwan
Boker Magnum = PRC
Boker Arbolito = Argentina

While there is a Boker 'Kalishnikov BK' that is made in Germany, it is $299 list and has a 440C blade. There is a wide range of 'Kalishnikov' knives in the Boker Plus line, like the 'Kalishnikov 74' series which list for $54.95 and have AUS-8 blade steel - possibly the one the op meant. They are made in the PRC. I have a few of their PRC-made Boker Plus line knives, and they represent a good value. I have more German-made Bokers - and they are universally, IMHO, finer in QC and fit & finish - albeit at a higher price.

A sub-set of the Boker German made knives is their 'classic' line - like the old 'Tree Brand' slipjoints. They are great values in that type of knife, from my recent experience. They still make carbon steel blades, too, if you want them. I have found their QC, materials choice, price, etc, to be better than the few recent similar new Case knives I've bought. Again - IMHO!

Stainz

Okiegunner
January 26, 2013, 03:51 AM
Stainz...

Yes, thank you, I believe that you are correct. Probably Boker Plus. AUS 8 blade. Seems to be well finished and tight lock-up. Very sharp.

NG VI
January 27, 2013, 01:18 PM
When you order those, do you have to order the spring for the opening mechanism separately, or does it come all together?

I saw some reference to them being sold sans the spring that powers the opening mechanism, can't remember if it seemed legit.

Okiegunner
January 28, 2013, 05:35 PM
It comes all together.

If you enjoyed reading about "Boker Kalashnikov" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!