Got me a dandy, Colt stainless, Commander and....--->

PDA

Mike Sr.
January 25, 2013, 01:16 AM
I plan to keep it, and shoot it and carry it.

Been around guns all my life but never fired a 45 acp! :what:....
My learning curve for guns is at 90 degree's...and does not level off.

But I need help with this:

A few basic mod's for accuracy ?

Spare parts I should buy and keep on hand?

A good lubricant?

Target grips vs the factory grips?

Even a laser grip...

At what distances should I focus on in my practice?

A good Colt Smith to improve over all reliability?

A good hip holster?

thanks a bunch...I will be on line every day absorbing the info you provide...
Money is an issue but I can budget...

If you enjoyed reading about "Got me a dandy, Colt stainless, Commander and....--->" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
horsemen61
January 25, 2013, 01:17 AM
Step one POST PICS OF IT PLEASE

Fred_G
January 25, 2013, 01:20 AM
Number one is get used to the trigger. Do dry presses with a snap cap. Then shoot it! Why modify something you have not shot? Post some pictures too. Then shoot it some more. :)

My shooting is for self defense, usually 7 yards or so.

Mike Sr.
January 25, 2013, 11:11 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=690730 for pix's

Jim Watson
January 25, 2013, 04:11 PM
But I need help with this:

How accurate is it? How accurate do you need it to be?

It ought to go a long long time on the original bits. A spare FITTED extractor would be a comfort. A spare recoil spring plug is good, I have launched two into the Twilight Zone.

A good lubricant?

There are endless debates. Anything from synthetic motor oil to the latest "specially formulated for tackytickle ass salt weapons" lubricant will work. Just be sure to keep SOMETHING on it. A gun does not have an oil pump, oil pan, or oil filter. If the lube isn't on the working parts, it isn't anywhere. And while the stainless steel galling that troubled some early guns is much reduced, it isn't completely gone.

Heck, to me, wraparound rubber grips ARE target grips.

Even a laser grip...

Those can be useful, but they have their own technique. I think best to learn to run the gun with real sights first.

I'd get a packet of 25 yard bullseye targets and shoot at them at whatever range I could keep say 80% in the black. Move back when you can put them all in the black.
Self defense shooting should be at closer range but including the draw. Practice the draw from concealment dryfire until you can do it without getting tangled up in your coattail.

Is it not reliable now?

A good hip holster?

There are numerous brands. I would go with an open top holster and a good belt.

Dr.Rob
January 25, 2013, 04:28 PM
I am moving this to semi autos where it belongs...

2wheels
January 25, 2013, 04:43 PM
Go to the range, shoot it and shoot it some more! Then you'll know if you want new grips and you'll know if it has any reliability issues.

Shouldn't have to "mod" it for accuracy at all, unless you are just THAT darned good :). After shooting it some you may decide you want new sights though, that's personal preference.

As Jim pointed out, it'd be nice to have a fitted extractor around. Maybe a recoil plug and an extra recoil spring too.

For lubrication, I like Breakfree CLP. But there are a million decent oils out there, take your pick.

As for what range to shoot at? Whatever you're comfortable with. Most of my shooting is within 15 yards, but I'll push it out to 20-25 now and then.

9mmepiphany
January 25, 2013, 06:14 PM
Not some much about accuracy as about comfort, but you might consider having a beavertail grip safety fitted before the drop-in one bites you

I like to have a spare fitted extractor and a set of springs (recoil, main, trigger/sear)

A good lubricant?
It is hard to go wrong with Slide Guide to start and then you can experiment

You'll have to determine your intended use before you can decide this. I personally like uncheckered wood...especially from Esmeralda. For something more rugged, I like G-10

Even a laser grip...
Wouldn't be near the top of my list

Depending on how well you shoot, I'd start closer, rather than further away...to check form and accuracy. Get comfortable shooting 1" groups at 7 yards and start moving the target back.

Anyone on Louder Than Words would be the top picks, but first you'll have to determine what you want the gun to do for you

A good hip holster?
A Milt Sparks BN55 is a timeless design to start with...and it is offered by most makers

hemiram
January 26, 2013, 04:15 AM
Looks nice, just like the one a friend bought around Thanksgiving at some LGS(to him), and just like the one I had years ago. His is great, mine was a DOG. Galling, bad machining, Colt's service scratching it all up when I sent it to them twice. It was a mess, tool marks all over the inside and I never got it to the point of it being close to reliable, after the two trips to Colt, and a gunsmith doing what he could. He called it "A total mess!". A straightedge showed the frame wasn't machined correctly in several areas. Colt said it had no problems, LOL. But until Colt scratched it up, well, even after, it was really pretty. Hope yours works a lot better than mine did. Mine cured me of all traces of 1911 desire. Haven't owned one since.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got me a dandy, Colt stainless, Commander and....--->" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!