Not sure how to set up Lee Turret Press

PDA

vito
January 25, 2013, 09:35 AM
Received my Lee press the other day and after setting in on the bench and installing the handle I wanted to figure our how to get started. Included with the press are two identical odd sort-of L shaped pieces with a spring piece sticking out of one side. Nothing in the paperwork instructions explains what these are or how to install them. I hope someone reading this knows what I am referring to since I have no idea what these things are called or if I need them. Then I really screwed up just messing around with the die that de-primes a round. I guess I didn't seat the case properly in the case holder, so when I lowered the die it popped out the old primer but the shell case is now stuck completely into the die. So far I have not figured out how to pull the case out and I wonder if I have ruined the die itself. Once I get past these issues I need to find something that instructs me on how to adjust the dies to the proper positions for actually doing the reloading. Help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Not sure how to set up Lee Turret Press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joecil
January 25, 2013, 10:02 AM
Let me see if I can deal with the stuck case first. Now a question is this a pistol die or a rifle die. If a pistol it shouldn't stick if a rifle you need to use a case lube either the Lee type or spray type but use a case lube not just some kind of oil.

To remove the case the easiest way is to remove the Decapper clamp bolt. Remove the decapper pin now you should be able to tap it out using a punch and with a few taps of a hammer. You might destroy the case but if this was the first time running a case without lube odds are you haven't damaged the die.

Now as for the pieces you describe is it possible to take a picture of it? It kind of sounds like the the Primer Arms one for small the other for large primers. If it is the primer arms remove the shell plate and drop the one that works with the proper size for you ammo then put the shell plate back in. Now that is just a guess. There are also a number of video at several sights on how to set one up both at the Lee sights or even youtube.

matworz
January 25, 2013, 12:07 PM
Did you read the instruction sheet that came with your press? Upper right corner of front page talks about the primer arms. If your press didn't come with instructions, here is a link. http://leeprecision.com/instructions.html

I see you live in Rockford. About an hour from me, depending on what part you live in. I don't get out there too often. But since you're completely new to handloading, if you would like me to take a look at your setup and give you a few hands-on lessons, maybe I could drive out there some Saturday in Feb and spend a few hours jawing.

What calibers are you planning to load?

-Matt

RandyP
January 25, 2013, 12:19 PM
And be sure to check out the various Lee self-help videos on their website both for the turret press and for single stage die setup videos. The single stage die instructions also aply to the turret.

http://leeprecision.com/help-videos.html

Hope this helps

badbowtie
January 25, 2013, 12:25 PM
I have the same press and like said above the arms are your small and large primer arms. They just drop in when you remove the shell holder. If you do a search on youtube for lee classic turret press you will get hours of videos to watch showing how to setup dies and even videos on how to load ammo. Since I started a couple years ago I still watch videos here and there to maybe learn something new from someone else.

Reefinmike
January 25, 2013, 03:43 PM
As for the stuck casing, I do it every once in a while when I switch out die sets but forget to change the shell plate. Yesterday I sized and decamped a 38 in a 38 die but used the 45 shell plate. First thing to do is remove the shell plate and see if you can pit it on the case rim. It all depends on how far the decapping pin is. If you can fit it on the case, simply pull it back off, raise the ram up just right and put the shell holder back in place on both the ram and case head. If the decapping pin is down too far to be able to place the shell plate back on the case, get a pair of vice grips, clamp down on the die body and use a half inch wrench to unscrew the thingamajig on top that tightly holds the pin in place. Once it's loosened, remove the pin, clear the case and replace the pin.

nosmr2
January 25, 2013, 10:51 PM
The instructions that came with it were a joke. Here is what I used and it was a huge help.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/leeturretpress/index.asp

dragon813gt
January 26, 2013, 08:55 AM
While the instructions are lacking they do tell you how to set it up properly. Watch this series of videos. It explains everything from start to finish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfjmKWFpSYo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Brought to you by TapaTalk

If you enjoyed reading about "Not sure how to set up Lee Turret Press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!