New forum category?

PDA

raddiver
January 25, 2013, 01:44 PM
This has probably been asked somewhere in the past, but is it possible to get a forum for concealed carry instructors?

If you enjoyed reading about "New forum category?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
January 25, 2013, 02:33 PM
Not sure exactly what you're asking for here.

A forum for instructors teaching concealed carry classes to chat with each other?

A forum to list instructors who teach the state-mandated (or otherwise) classes?

Something else?

I think you'll find which ever you're looking for in our Strategy, Tactics, & Training forum.

raddiver
January 25, 2013, 02:42 PM
Sorry Sam, Yes i was referring to forum for instructors to discuss things like dealing with challenging students, How to help students overcome certain obstacles, dealing with students with special needs, working up shoot no shoot scenarios, etc.

I think that those of us who are instructors are always striving to be better. (or maybe i'm just speaking for others when i shouldn't :) )

Sam1911
January 25, 2013, 03:27 PM
I think you'll find a great deal of help and support for those kind of issues in S&T. But I don't see us making that a restricted area that only those currently teaching classes can participate in.

I'll wait to hear what the other Staff have to say about it, but I'm pretty sure the fault with the idea lies in that making a sub-forum strictly for some folks requires shutting the door to other folks, which we really don't do (if for no other reason than that some of the best contributors qualified to comment aren't teaching professionally, or at least not now).

Honestly, I'd be very surprised if there were matters that would be on-topic for THR (so that leaves out questions of the business end, for example) which would be unacceptable or not able to be intelligently discussed in ST&T.

raddiver
January 25, 2013, 03:40 PM
understood.

9mmepiphany
January 25, 2013, 05:07 PM
This is just from my experience as a handgun instructor who has worked with a lot of clients who have issues.

You'll learn a lot more if you listen to your students than by discussing problems you are having, with them, with other instructors. Instructors often have differing instruction styles, and almost always different teaching styles, so that what works for one won't work for another.

It is also a common mistake to think that students will fall into set categories that can be addressed with a set solution...that is the difference between an instructor and a teacher...a common example is when a student jerks the trigger, to tell them to press the trigger straight back while holding the sights on target. Unless you ask the student what they are seeing or trying to do, telling them to do something isn't likely to address the problem

Fred Fuller
January 25, 2013, 07:19 PM
ST&T should provide what you're looking for, raddiver...

If you enjoyed reading about "New forum category?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!