Unregistered Revolver in Michigan


January 25, 2013, 01:16 PM
My wife was visiting her parents. Her father has dementia, often doesn't recognize people and has been obsessing about shooing intruders. We bought them a gun safe a few months ago and gave the key to her mother.

Today my wife called and said she was coming home with his pistols, to get them out of the house as he was looking for them.

3 black powder and 2, .22 revolvers.

I really doubt the revolvers were ever registered as he bought them in the '50's and they have been in his drawer ever since.

Does any one here know of the proper process to get these guns registered, or find out if they are.

She is already bringing them here, so leaving them is not an option.

If you enjoyed reading about "Unregistered Revolver in Michigan" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
January 25, 2013, 01:26 PM
Do guns have to be "registered" in your state? Where I live, they do not. If someone gives you a gun, you inherit one, buy used, whatever...that's it, its yours.

Guy de Loimbard
January 25, 2013, 01:26 PM
MI has had pistol registration since the 1920's IIRC. I think you can contact the state police and as long as you have the make, model and serial number they should be able to get you a new green card if it was registered.

January 25, 2013, 01:43 PM
I will be contacting the MSP but I am researching the laws to avoid trouble.

January 25, 2013, 01:48 PM
Just pickup blank forms at local PD or Sheriff, fill out and mail in.

No worries, you are doing the right thing for the right reasons.

Laws changed in MI this year, you might need private sale permit to purchase.

January 25, 2013, 01:53 PM
Is it a law to register guns in Michigan I thought that was illegal :scrutiny: :uhoh:

January 25, 2013, 02:03 PM
First do you have a cpl. I assume both you and father in law live in michigan. If you have cpl you can print off your own form from msp website. RI60 If you dont have cpl then you have to go to a ploice station and get a pistol purchase permit. Does not have to be your police station but whereever you get it from it has to go back to that one within 30 days. Now the big question. Are you sure your father in law had them registered and since he is going thru this is there an executer or someone in charge of medical desions besides him. Because if it is your wife you can contact the police but i would bet she would be able to fill out both sides of form. Both seller and buyer. If he is still able to make desions and sign stuff then he has to sign the seller part. Once thransaction is done buyer has to hold onto his portion for 30 days but seller does not legally have to keep his at all. One portion stays with you. One portion stays with seller. And rest ( used to be two but now should be one) goes back to police station.

January 25, 2013, 02:12 PM
I don't know if they are registered. That's part of the problem. I haven't found info on how to register a previously unregistered pistol. I expect it should be just like buying a gun from out of state.

January 25, 2013, 02:16 PM
Dab has it right, he just gave more detail than I did.

Local PD will guide you.

January 25, 2013, 08:02 PM
Always good to worry but my advise is dont worry. Just stop by the police station and talk to them. My dad cleaned out some stuff when my mom died. Had a couple on her dads handguns. They were from before my moms birth which was early 30's. Had no idea about anything just like you. Stoped by and talked to my police station and his advise to me was just fill out the form and mail it in. At that time i did not have a cpl so i had to get a purchase permit. No problems no questions. If for some crazy reason it is a stolen gun...which i would doubt...they will contact you and if time frame is long enough you may still be able to lay claim to it if orignal owner could not be found..but again if he has had them for years or longer you are probably good to go.

January 26, 2013, 02:24 AM
My mom moved back to Michigan from another state, and brought her .22 with her. The law allows a certain number if days to register a pistol brought in from out if state.

In your case, if your father in law was ever caught with an unregistered pistol, it is a misdemeanor crime. Since they are being transferred to you, you can either take them to the FFL of your choice and have them transferred, after acquiring the appropriate permit from a law enforcement agency. If you have a CPL, you can print and mail the forms directly to the MSP. There should be no repercussions to your father in law.

The black powder pistols do not need to be registered, iirc, only the revolvers.

January 26, 2013, 07:20 AM
It turns out that it was a starter pistol, a 1958 .22 single action and a few black powder pistols.

She thought the 1851 was a 44 Magnum.

January 26, 2013, 12:44 PM
Thats probably a little disappointing.

January 26, 2013, 12:53 PM
From what I've seen most local PD are very accommodating when reporting and registering un-registered handguns. Just bring in the serial #, model # with Bbl. length and caliber, do not bring the firearm to the station. This happens often in MI either from inheritance or just discovering something in the house. I've never heard of a case of LE prosecuting or harassing an one for registering a pistol not in the system. I have a friend who found four revolvers in a wall panel of his house when doing a remodel, three smiths and a very good conditioned Colt Python. Some people are luckier than others.

If you enjoyed reading about "Unregistered Revolver in Michigan" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!