Stephen King on Guns

PDA

hnk45acp
January 26, 2013, 10:25 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2013/01/25/stephen-king-releases-gun-control-essay/

Maybe this should be in activism

Synopsis:
He calls for universal background check, 10 rounders and assault weapons bans.

There is an interesting part about a short story he wrote in which a kid brings a gun to school and holds his class hostage but he decided to pull the book because, although he doesn't think it would have caused a copycat crime it may have been an "accelerant".

I know lots of gun owners that are fans of the Dark Tower and his other work. Maybe we should start sending copies back to his publisher in protest

If you enjoyed reading about "Stephen King on Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ryanxia
January 26, 2013, 10:28 AM
Yet another anti-American in our midst. I would boycott him but never cared too much for his work to begin with (just not my interest).

Neo-Luddite
January 26, 2013, 10:54 AM
Yeh, check out his story 'Caine Rose Up' in the anthology Skeleton Crew. He should stick to writing and music ~ I do admire his work.

(the story deals with a sniper rampage by a college student from his dorm room - quite chilling actually.)

hogshead
January 26, 2013, 10:59 AM
Like his work not his ideals.

PedalBiker
January 26, 2013, 11:00 AM
Guys like King are just trying to appeal to the masses - they make money off of being popular.

Elway just pulled a similar stunt.

My guess is both of them used some kind of poll or adviser before presenting their opinion to the media. They are marketing their image.

If you give an arson $100 dollars and access to Walmart they can have your house nothing more than smoking rubble in under an hour. It's not like having some king of "dollar" limit on Walmart shopping would impact arson.

HOOfan_1
January 26, 2013, 11:08 AM
I know lots of gun owners that are fans of the Dark Tower and his other work. Maybe we should start sending copies back to his publisher in protest

When I was reading "The Stand", at times I almost thought he was a Libertarian. The fact that he government was making war on its own citizens...some other things as well. Although guns were not a huge part of the book, they did play a part and the main characters thought of them as essential....although some of the guns he described were completely inaccurate....never can judge anyone by the work the produce....just look at all the anti celebrities who make millions directing, producing and acting in films full of guns.

I wonder how J.R.R. Tolkein would feel....I just finished reading LOTR for the third or fourth time and I absolutely loved this line from Return of the King.

"those who have no swords can still die upon them"

CookeMonster
January 26, 2013, 11:12 AM
I read quite a bit of King, and from his books I can tell you, he knows NOTHING about guns. I have read several times when he writes things like (in Cell), half of his head was gone from the pistol in his lap containing illegal hollow point dum-dum bullets.

valnar
January 26, 2013, 11:24 AM
It upsets me when otherwise intelligent people are willfully ignorant. 'Been a lot of that going around.

RockyMtnTactical
January 26, 2013, 11:57 AM
Never cared for his work. I find it ironic that he probably would defend the 1st amendment tooth and nail, but he doesn't care for the 2nd... similar to the media.

9MMare
January 26, 2013, 12:05 PM
Some of you might be interested in a book called, "We have to talk about Kevin" which is about a family with a troubled teen that wont face facts and wont do anything about it. It is written after the incident and the teen survives and it's a look back at the years leading up to it.

It is indeed a mass school shooting....but not with a gun.

OTOH if you are looking for action you wont find it. They only describe it at the very end. However jailhouse 'interviews' with him throughout the book are interesting. It is fiction but discusses many of the real shootings and shooters that he wished to copycat and top.

wojownik
January 26, 2013, 12:07 PM
King said his objective was to contribute to the debate - while I don't agree with his views or conclusions, at least he's trying to reason through the issues. At least he's not knee-jerking about this. I am not a fan of his writing though (style or content).

I wonder how J.R.R. Tolkein would feel....I just finished reading LOTR for the third or fourth time and I absolutely loved this line from Return of the King.

"those who have no swords can still die upon them"

Draw your own conclusions, but Tolkien once noted "My political opinions lean more and more to Anarchy (philosophically understood, meaning abolition of control not whiskered men with bombs)—or to 'unconstitutional' Monarchy."

On the other hand, Tolkien pined for the simpler ways of life and detested the industrialization of the early 20th century. While his political views may have become more libertarian, I think he would have been challenged the idea of our contemporary firearms.

JFrame
January 26, 2013, 12:10 PM
I liked King's earlier works (e.g., Salem's Lot and The Shining). His works have become progressively more bloated and self-indulgent, and basically not fun to read -- which is just as well, because his decline as a writer has corresponded with his increasing activism as a leftist.

And, yes, King knows nothing about the guns on which he purports to spout his opinions and prejudices. I can't cite chapter and verse at the moment, but I recall people routinely sliding the safety on their revolvers.

Arbo
January 26, 2013, 12:21 PM
Who cares what an author says... that he is popular means nothing in terms of the weight of his opinion.

Strange Bob
January 26, 2013, 12:21 PM
If King's sentiments are as he espoused then maybe someone needs to ask him about a ban on horror type literature for the damage done to young minds by it, no grandfather clause ... destroy it all and open the courts to litigation for damages.

Look, I am not serious but the principles are the same. Not a regulation of ALL literature just the "dangerous" kind.:evil:

I lived in Bangor, Maine (King's hometown) for a couple of years and this is not the common sentiment in northern Maine, although it is a lot more liberal than most of Texas (my native land). I don't care for his writings.

Tinker
January 26, 2013, 12:27 PM
The first book of his I read was The Stand.

Liked it so much I read Pet Cemetery. This one kind of soured me. Dead kid in it.

The next one I read was called IT. After starting on the first chapter I threw it in the trash....his description of a young'n being seduced/mutilated by that thing in the sewer halted my interest, then and there. Creepy-ass guy with his preoccupation with dead little ones. Haven't missed his work since.

I seem to recall he has always been fairly anti gun anyway. He earns none of my money.

hq
January 26, 2013, 12:38 PM
Stephen King's forte has been intriguingly sick and violent imagination and ability to transfer it to text.

Reading this text of his leads me to believe that's all he has going for him.

Ky Larry
January 26, 2013, 12:39 PM
He has enough money to be a leftwing elitist.

9MMare
January 26, 2013, 12:43 PM
Stephen King's forte has been intriguingly sick and violent imagination and ability to transfer it to text.

Reading this text of his leads me to believe that's all he has going for him.

Well he's a very rich man who got that way doing something he loved. And managed to maintain a decent family life as well.

I wouldnt mind having that 'going for me.'

HOOfan_1
January 26, 2013, 12:48 PM
Well he's a very rich man who got that way doing something he loved. And managed to maintain a decent family life as well.

He was pretty messed up in a car on pedestrian accident though.

hAkron
January 26, 2013, 12:51 PM
The story is called Rage, and maybe he just forgot that he actually DID publish it...or at least his pseudonym/nom de plume Richard Bachman. I read it on Jr. High. It's a really good story.

skeeziks
January 26, 2013, 01:02 PM
OK...free speech is protected under the 1st, but there has to be "reasonable" limitations.
You can only speak your mind in "approved locations" (speach-free zones.)
And public speaking must be limited to 10 words or less. Those speaches that contain 30 words; 50 words; 100 words, are just too dangerous and have no place in our society.

Now maybe Pierce Morgan can sit there at his desk, and while interviewing his guest, continually ask the question: Yes, but why would anyone Need a speach containing that many words?

hq
January 26, 2013, 02:47 PM

I ment intellectually. Being a talented storyteller doesn't automatically give one's legislative opinion any credibility, nor does it prove that the person has the slightest idea about how social and criminal problems can and can not be solved. An unfounded opinion is meaningless, totally devoid of any value, regardless of the social status of the person who expressed it.

All statements must be judged and evaluated by their factual content, not by who made them. That, unfortunately, doesn't always apply. Some people abuse their social and financial status as an excuse for lying through their teeth and expect people to believe them only because they're rich or famous. It really ticks me off that more often than not they're right, the majority of people don't question the lack of facts behind their statements at all.

mljdeckard
January 26, 2013, 02:51 PM
He's always been hyper-liberal. No news here.

ApacheCoTodd
January 26, 2013, 03:04 PM
I hope you folk have the time to read this and other items by David Mamet.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2013/01/28/gun-laws-and-the-fools-of-chelm-by-david-mamet.html

For my money, while in a different direct genre of writing and not being nearly so prolific as the isolated Mr King, Mr Mamet hails from Massachusetts, is deeply rooted in the film entertainment industry and still holds his own mind. One can see from his editorial writings a keen respect for the individual and an awareness that we are each of us dependent upon ourselves rather than the STATE or society.

JFrame
January 26, 2013, 03:26 PM
I hope you folk have the time to read this and other items by David Mamet.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2013/01/28/gun-laws-and-the-fools-of-chelm-by-david-mamet.html

For my money, while in a different direct genre of writing and not being nearly so prolific as the isolated Mr King, Mr Mamet hails from Massachusetts, is deeply rooted in the film entertainment industry and still holds his own mind. One can see from his editorial writings a keen respect for the individual and an awareness that we are each of us dependent upon ourselves rather than the STATE or society.

I've seen that article elsewhere, but thank you for posting that here! We can't do enough to promote those few openly conservative folks working in the entertainment industry. Mr. Mamet used to be pretty liberal, but had an "awakening" in the past decade or so, and has converted to conservatism.

That was indeed an excellent article by him. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/good2.gif

By the way -- if anyone wants to support that rare conservative in the industry, I would encourage you to get his film "The Spanish Prisoner," which is one of the finest films ever made that evidently no one has seen... :)

TheDaywalkersDad
January 26, 2013, 03:31 PM
I haven't cared much for his work in the last decade. The Stand was great. The Gunslinger series was pretty good. Everything else is mediocre at best.

Cosmoline
January 26, 2013, 04:08 PM
And another billionaire with layers of armed security tells the rest of us what arms he doesn't think we really need. This is a man who brings bodyguards to press interviews! And it goes without saying that neither he nor his personal entourage would be impacted by any laws he endorsed.

I am really sick of these people. Maybe we should raise their taxes.

While his political views may have become more libertarian, I think he would have been challenged the idea of our contemporary firearms.

One of my favorite quotes from JRRT is directly relevant:

Gimli said, "But you speak of him as if he were a friend. I thought Fangorn was dangerous."
"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord. And Aragorn is dangerous, and Legolas is dangerous. You are beset with dangers, Gimli son of Gloin; for you are dangerous yourself, in your own fashion. Certainly the forest of Fangorn is perilous - not least to those that are too ready with their axes; and Fangorn himself, he is perilous too; yet he is wise and kindly nonetheless."

The Two Towers

We tend to view being dangerous as a bad thing. But it's entirely natural to be able to defend yourself. And even awesome power is not to be feared in the hands of a good person.

JFrame
January 26, 2013, 04:18 PM
We tend to view being dangerous as a bad thing. But it's entirely natural to be able to defend yourself. And even awesome power is not to be feared in the hands of the good.

"There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men."

-- Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Now THERE was a real libertarian... :cool:

HOOfan_1
January 26, 2013, 04:55 PM
"There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men."

-- Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Now THERE was a real libertarian... :cool:

"The current near-hysterical preoccupation with safety is at best a waste of resources and a crimp on the human spirit, and at worst an invitation to totalitarianism."

- Michael Crichton A State of Fear

JFrame
January 26, 2013, 05:57 PM
"The current near-hysterical preoccupation with safety is at best a waste of resources and a crimp on the human spirit, and at worst an invitation to totalitarianism."

- Michael Crichton A State of Fear

Dr. Crichton was another great conservative in the industry...R.I.P... :(

PRM
January 26, 2013, 06:24 PM
Guys like King are just trying to appeal to the masses - they make money off of being popular.

More like perceived masses - there are a lot of pissed off law abiding gun owners.

Lucifer_Sam
January 26, 2013, 07:21 PM
I've actually been reading alot of King recently. Some of it is OK-- entertaining though not really great fiction-- some is godawful. But here are a couple quotes I remembered from the 3rd gunslinger book.

It's unlikely that those left will have firearms—in fact, ours may be the first guns many of them have ever seen, except maybe for a picture or two in the old books. Make no threatening gestures. And the childhood rule is a good one: speak only when spoken to."

"What about bows and arrows?" Susannah asked.

"Yes, they may have those. Spears and clubs, as well."

"Don't forget rocks," Eddie said bleakly, looking down at the cluster of wooden buildings. The place looked like a ghost-town, but who knew for sure? "And if they're hard up for rocks, there's always the cobbles from the road."

"Yes, there's always something," Roland agreed

--------------------

"Ay. Let's finish with them." She surveyed Susannah and Eddie again, her eyes stem but somehow confused, as well. "Gods curse my eyes that they should ever have happened on you two in the first place.

And gods curse the guns ye carry, as well, for they were always the springhead of our troubles."

And with that attitude, Susannah thought, your troubles are going to last at least a thousand years, sugar.

He does give quite a few nods to the Aubrey-Maturin books in his dark tower series, though, so that buys him some slack from me. But, then again, much of that slack was used up by his writing himself into the Dark Tower books...

chris in va
January 26, 2013, 07:31 PM
Ironically he's a gun owner.

Coop45
January 26, 2013, 07:45 PM
They just don't want us to have guns.

meanmrmustard
January 26, 2013, 07:46 PM
My fiancé and I are big King fans.

Looks like I'm going to have to get back into Max Brooks.

Ehtereon11B
January 26, 2013, 08:39 PM
Well look at it from his perspective. If he wrote guns into his books, they would have really short endings. "Creepy thing jumps out from behind here, Scared person shoots thing. The End."

BearGriz
January 26, 2013, 08:50 PM
Well look at it from his perspective. If he wrote guns into his books, they would have really short endings. "Creepy thing jumps out from behind here, Scared person shoots thing. The End."

Funniest thing I've read all day. Thanks. :)

gp911
January 26, 2013, 09:01 PM
King is sloppy. I liked him when I was in high school, but as I grew older I got tired of gritting my teeth through the inaccurate details and the way he likes to write his personal experiences into his books, not to mention his way of writing 33 pages about how the room smells and the graphic depictions of dead children. He's like many other people, inclined to make decisions about topics with only a fraction of the necessary information. "Rage" was an interesting story, and I think he originally wrote it when he was 18 or 19 with the working title "Getting It On". He really tapped into the mindset with that one, before he got into cocaine and alcohol hardcore in the 80's and lost his way. "The Stand" is still a great work of apocalyptic fiction, but I can't say I've enjoyed much that he wrote after that, even the Gunslinger series suffered from his obvious desire to have a movie made about it with Clint Eastwood and his desire to finish it up quickly after he was hit by the guy in the van and almost killed. I'm not surprised at all that he has a superficial understanding of firearms and the efficacy gun control laws.

9MMare
January 26, 2013, 10:46 PM
I ment intellectually. Being a talented storyteller doesn't automatically give one's legislative opinion any credibility, nor does it prove that the person has the slightest idea about how social and criminal problems can and can not be solved. An unfounded opinion is meaningless, totally devoid of any value, regardless of the social status of the person who expressed it.

All statements must be judged and evaluated by their factual content, not by who made them. That, unfortunately, doesn't always apply. Some people abuse their social and financial status as an excuse for lying through their teeth and expect people to believe them only because they're rich or famous. It really ticks me off that more often than not they're right, the majority of people don't question the lack of facts behind their statements at all.

Actually, he portrays human behavior on both sides of the line very well and very accurately. Pulls no punches, glosses nothing over.

So he observes very well, very clearly....and then makes up his own mind on where he stands. If liberal, then with good reason (just like some of the rest of us, lol).

I hadnt read him in nearly 2 decades but The Stand is my favorite book. (Read Under the Dome last fall).

BHP FAN
January 26, 2013, 10:50 PM
The Stand was good, but I'd rather read any of Larry Correia's books.Monster Hunter International kicks butt.

Dr_B
January 26, 2013, 11:07 PM
Never cared too much for Stephen King. I'll add his name to the growing list of people I will have nothing to do with from now on.

Coop45
January 26, 2013, 11:26 PM
Geez, I've never read one of his books and now I'm boycotting. I just got a head start.

Dmath
January 26, 2013, 11:32 PM
Stephen king has made doo-doo in his pants before. A few years back, he was explaining how you have to be stupid to be in the armed forces: “. . . the fact is if you can read, you can walk into a job later on. If you don't, then you've got, the Army, Iraq, I don't know, something like that. It's, it's not as bright.”

When a conservative blogger picked that up, King went ooga-booga defensive: “... that a right-wing-blog would impugn my patriotism because I said children should learn to read, and could get better jobs by doing so, is beneath contempt . . .. I live in a National Guard town, and I support our troops, but I don’t support either the war or educational policies that limit the options of young men and women to any one career.

His lack of logic is incandescent. He defends saying that you only go in the army if you’re dumb by saying that he lives in a National Guard town (well, that eliminates the possibility of any lack of patriotism right there), but he doesn’t support the war. But, as I am not the first to point out, that’s like saying you support the New York Yankees, but not when they play baseball.

And those educational policies that limit options – yes, I remember now, that was the George W. Bush No Child Can Learn to Read While I’m The President Cuz We got To Have Stupid Soldiers Act. Rammed that one through in 2006, I believe.

Strange Bob
January 27, 2013, 12:00 AM
John Ross seems to write more on my level!

carbuncle
January 27, 2013, 12:02 AM
King hasn't written anything good since The stand, IMO. This glorified blog post continues the trend.

Tinker
January 27, 2013, 02:24 AM
Cosmoline,

Good points on Tolkien. Kind of funny with me and his work. An old pot head (he, not me) bud of mine from high school tried his best to get me to read Tolkien's stuff and I wouldn't. Then, my daughter drags me to the first LOTR movie. Then and there I read the trilogy, the Hobbit and the Simmarillion. I probably enjoyed the latter one the best. I cannot fathom that much creativity. Great stuff I'd missed. Lesson learned...sometimes, pot heads offer diamonds. :)

Skylerbone
January 27, 2013, 04:14 AM
Post 38 nearly sums up my thoughts about King, with the exception of ever having liked him. Only books I read were Thinner, The Green Mile and Insomnia which all share a common trait: a propensity to babble incessantly about minutiae the reader cares nothing about. Reminds me of my personal lack of skill or form but then I've not been paid millions for what I spout.

TJx
January 27, 2013, 08:33 AM
It's the same mental illness that afflicts other famous people that are good at making money or have success in music, writing, acting, etc. They think if they are successful at one thing it automatically gives them a natural talent to pontificate what is best for us commoners.

hq
January 27, 2013, 04:51 PM
Actually, he portrays human behavior on both sides of the line very well and very accurately. Pulls no punches, glosses nothing over.

So he observes very well, very clearly....and then makes up his own mind on where he stands. If liberal, then with good reason (just like some of the rest of us, lol).

I hadnt read him in nearly 2 decades but The Stand is my favorite book. (Read Under the Dome last fall).

There's a massive amount of evidence of these kind of legislative actions failing all around the world, and instead of working for the objective of making societies safer they've one time after another worked against it. Widespread civil disobedience, losing the little control what government has over firearm ownership and especially violent criminals and promises of anything better turning out empty is not in the best interest of anyone.

There are many valid points on both sides of the gun debate, but when you look at all aspects, implications and consequences of legislative action, objective facts are solid and undeniable.

I have no respect for people who are more or less clueless and still want to voice their opinion on something, and this applies to pro-gun celebrities as well. If they're unable to see the big picture, state the facts that affect the resulting situation and have a somewhat in-depth understanding of how legislation can affect human behavior in society, their 'ME TOO' announcements are pointless from the intellectual point of view. And that's what the debate is lacking nowadays, more than ever.

Last November I resigned from the position of the vice president of NRA Finland. After six years I grew too tired to interacting with total idiots, both anti-gun and pro-gun, especially because more than half of my work consisted of legislative, behavioral and social science research, finding out facts that can be used on both sides of the debate. Never before I had realized how much I can hate politics.

And despise people like Stephen King.

Sol
January 27, 2013, 06:17 PM
Steven king is a bipolar. He should be under a weapons disability. Having dealt with people suffering from bipolar disorder and seeing the effects of a mania, they should definatley not have firearms.

tulsamal
January 27, 2013, 06:23 PM
OK... I guess I'm in the wrong room. I think I have everything King has ever written. Some is great, some is just good, some not so good. Everybody has mentioned The Stand and that is considered to be his master work. Kind of hard to know you hit your peak when you were in your 20's. To know everything else you ever do will be compared to that earlier work. Kind of like Dylan today. I read an interview with Bob where he said his earlier songs were truly inspired and almost magical to him how they just appeared. And that he hasn't had "that feeling" in decades. That the work he produces now is competent but no longer inspired. The magic came, the magic left.

My favorite part of any King story is his characters. No matter what kinds of crazy things happen to them, the people seem like REAL people. He rarely makes that mistake where the reader questions the choices made by a character. Many of his books contain such vivid characters that finishing them is a sad thing, you know that character is out of your life now. You can write novels that are entirely plot driven. While the plot in a King story is often intriguing, the real meat is the characters.

The Stand is great. Firestarter and Christine are very good. He recently published a time travel book that uses the date of JFK's assassination for the title, something like 11/22/63. There are some really good parts to that book but the ultimate ending was very, very disappointing. Kind of like the very end of the Gunfighter series. I consider Hearts in Atlantis to be one of his very best books for his later years. And Rose Madder. Obviously his short story books contain many good stories.

I'm not surprised at all that he has a superficial understanding of firearms and the efficacy gun control laws.

As a person who has read the complete body of work... I'm not sure that's accurate. I know, I know, his works contain vast amounts of "wrong gun information." If you know guns, it's not hard to notice. The first few, I was ready to send him a letter to help him get these things right. But notice how the mistakes usually work. He will arm the character with a Ruger .44 Auto pistol. Gun people start to bang their heads. Or a rifle shooter will use a .349 Magnum rifle to shoot people. After a while, you realize there is a pattern. He finds the real information, picks a real gun or cartridge, and then slightly changes it. To something that doesn't actually exist.

I even saw an interview with him once where he admitted this is what he does. Because he had one sniper story where a real life wacko copied a story and shot some people. So he makes the conscious decision to use "slightly wrong and definitely non-existent" weapons in his stories. He does't want to arm a hero with a Colt 1911 in 38 Super and then find out years later that some nut job took that as the perfect choice for their own deeds. King said he looks up guns in Gun Digest but then changes the information slightly.

I'm not surprised he said some things that we consider anti-gun. He has money, he feels like he has more to lose. And that "regular people" are at least slightly untrustworthy with top line weaponry. Considering the total idiot who ran him down with his rusty old van while King was jogging down the side of the road, it wouldn't surprise me if he thinks a lot less people should own cars as well!

Gregg

9MMare
January 27, 2013, 10:06 PM
There's a massive amount of evidence of these kind of legislative actions failing all around the world, and instead of working for the objective of making societies safer they've one time after another worked against it. Widespread civil disobedience, losing the little control what government has over firearm ownership and especially violent criminals and promises of anything better turning out empty is not in the best interest of anyone.

There are many valid points on both sides of the gun debate, but when you look at all aspects, implications and consequences of legislative action, objective facts are solid and undeniable.

I have no respect for people who are more or less clueless and still want to voice their opinion on something, and this applies to pro-gun celebrities as well. If they're unable to see the big picture, state the facts that affect the resulting situation and have a somewhat in-depth understanding of how legislation can affect human behavior in society, their 'ME TOO' announcements are pointless from the intellectual point of view. And that's what the debate is lacking nowadays, more than ever.

Last November I resigned from the position of the vice president of NRA Finland. After six years I grew too tired to interacting with total idiots, both anti-gun and pro-gun, especially because more than half of my work consisted of legislative, behavioral and social science research, finding out facts that can be used on both sides of the debate. Never before I had realized how much I can hate politics.

And despise people like Stephen King.

??? Are you sure you intended to respond to my post?

Made little sense to me. Perhaps something was lost in translation.

mnrivrat
January 28, 2013, 03:42 AM
I wonder which side of the issue Bugs Bunny is on ? ( Just as much of an icon as King ).

Then again ,with Elmer always after him, maybe I don't want to know . I would think he at least is better qualified to give an opinion anyway.

The point : If a person has only celebrity as a qualification to give a good opinion - they are likely not qualified.

hq
January 28, 2013, 06:27 AM
??? Are you sure you intended to respond to my post?

Made little sense to me. Perhaps something was lost in translation.

Quite positive. Your assumption that mr.King's political views are a result of objective instead of subjective consideration sounded so optimistic that rather than giving him the benefit of a doubt, I'd expect far more reasoning and elaboration from his part. Especially when we're talking about a person who most likely has no difficulties in expressing himself in writing.

My educated guess is a combination of peer pressure, his personal indifference about the whole issue and a lapse of judgement regarding his perceived comprehension of legislative matters. Celebrities are no less lemmings than anyone else; neutral and indifferent individuals can easily feel compelled to 'do something' when their friends express strong political opinions and something like this may result. Earning a pat in the back from anti-gun buddies is no small incentive and there's little doubt how many people in the entertainment industry think. The people Stephen King rubs shoulders with.

Think Toyota Prius and acceptance that can (could) be bought with one among 'concerned' celebrities.

Mp7
January 28, 2013, 06:29 AM
Denouncing an artists fascinating work, because you don't agree with his views?

Really?

How narrow-minded an in my view un-american is that?

olderguns
January 28, 2013, 07:05 AM
I always like King and will continue to read his works, just like I like and still listen to willie nelson even through they are both somewhat against gun rights. They have a right to their opinion,

JFrame
January 28, 2013, 07:29 AM
I respect Ezra Pound's poetry, though I denounce his pro-Nazi world view. I appreciate his accomplishments as a poet, but not his positions as a human being.

It's the same with King.

Correia
January 28, 2013, 10:59 AM
I tweeted the following yesterday:

Differences between me and Stephen King. I know what the 2nd Amendment means. I know soldiers can read. And I can write an actual ending.

pockets
January 28, 2013, 12:15 PM
I have never understood why people rave over King's writing. I've read a few of his books, saw a few of the movies, haven't liked any of them. Even an axe-wielding Nicholson couldn't make a King story palatable to me. They all seem the same...rambling and bloated....they read a lot like that old comedy song, "Choppin' Broccoli' ..... like someone was just writing down any old words as they went along, without regard to content or storyline.
I'm a rabid/avid reader.....usually 2 to 4 books every week. Currently on book 6 of the Helmsman series (by Bill Baldwin)...after reading the 'Flight Engineer' series a couple weeks ago (by James Doohan & SM Sterling).
But everyone has different tastes. Some people like broccoli. :D

thorazine
January 28, 2013, 03:53 PM
I misread the title and confused it with Stephen Hawking aka someone that actually matters. =D

SidRon
January 28, 2013, 03:59 PM
I read the 25 page essay. I found it amusing that he mentions that he owns several guns to establish himself as a knowledgeable gun owner and then mentions that Adam Lanza was found with the dreaded Glock .10 which is used in Alaska to kill moose. I can only assume he was referring to a 10mm Glock sicne Glock doesn't actually make a .10 caliber. Pretty much shows him and his editorsk know jack **** about guns.

SSN Vet
January 28, 2013, 04:20 PM
Stephen King makes money writing his book Rage, which is known to have inspired FOUR school shootings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_(Stephen_King_novel) and defends himself with the first amendment.

Now he has a case of the guilts and is calling for the infringement of the second amendment rights of millions of Americans, who never hurt a fly, let alone profited from inspiring others to commit violence.

Please tell Merriam-Webster to revise their definition of Hypocrisy!

SSN Vet
January 28, 2013, 04:22 PM
confused it with Stephen Hawking aka someone that actually matters

gag, cough, spit....

JFrame
January 28, 2013, 07:53 PM
I read the 25 page essay. I found it amusing that he mentions that he owns several guns to establish himself as a knowledgeable gun owner and then mentions that Adam Lanza was found with the dreaded Glock .10 which is used in Alaska to kill moose. I can only assume he was referring to a 10mm Glock sicne Glock doesn't actually make a .10 caliber. Pretty much shows him and his editorsk know jack **** about guns.

http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/just_cuz/JC-hysterical.gif
http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/just_cuz/JC-LOL.gif
http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/just_cuz/JC-ROFL.gif

...Makes his references to safeties on revolvers sound like he's a gunsmith... http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/big_standart/biggrin.gif

bobmcd
January 28, 2013, 08:06 PM
Not to defend Mr. King (I, too, wish he could write an ending); but I would not be at all surprised if King wrote "10" and an overzealous, under-informed editor changed it to ".10" without it being noticed.

With Mr. King's logorrhea, I'm sure he does not have the time to proofread everything after the editors maul it.

Texan Scott
January 28, 2013, 09:13 PM
In my opinion Mr King is an astoundingly talented author. What amazes me is that for a man who obviously abhors violence and is painfully misinformed on firearms, his books involve an awful lot of gun violence, violence in general, and - oh yeah - dead children.

RoboDuck
January 28, 2013, 09:17 PM
King can fall off the earth and would never be missed by me.

slimjimriggins
January 28, 2013, 11:24 PM
I'm not sure if King does know about guns and changes details on purpose, or not. I do know he doesn't know s**t about cars. I read a short story of his called "The Road Virus Heads North"(if I recall correctly). He describes a car that is obviously a Trans Am as a Grand Am. He also describes the souped-up engine as a "442ci, with reground valves, carburetor, fuel injection" etc. If you are into cars like I am, that one sentence made the whole story ridiculous. Ruined by uninformed absurdity. I do like the Dark Tower series, but there were gun inaccuracies(like the previously stated Ruger .44 automatic, that really confused me). I also did not care for him writing himself into the books(narcissistic much?).

9MMare
January 28, 2013, 11:50 PM
Quite positive. Your assumption that mr.King's political views are a result of objective instead of subjective consideration sounded so optimistic that rather than giving him the benefit of a doubt, I'd expect far more reasoning and elaboration from his part. Especially when we're talking about a person who most likely has no difficulties in expressing himself in writing.

My educated guess is a combination of peer pressure, his personal indifference about the whole issue and a lapse of judgement regarding his perceived comprehension of legislative matters. Celebrities are no less lemmings than anyone else; neutral and indifferent individuals can easily feel compelled to 'do something' when their friends express strong political opinions and something like this may result. Earning a pat in the back from anti-gun buddies is no small incentive and there's little doubt how many people in the entertainment industry think. The people Stephen King rubs shoulders with.

Think Toyota Prius and acceptance that can (could) be bought with one among 'concerned' celebrities.

LOL

Your writing is exactly the opposite of his....his is plain and of 'the common man,' yours is completely pretentious and so difficult to decipher that I'm not spending the time to try and sort it out.

And I'm a technical writer/editor by trade so I have to sort thru such all the time...(not on my time off tho)

So I still dont know what your point is, but that's ok with me.

9MMare
January 28, 2013, 11:52 PM
Denouncing an artists fascinating work, because you don't agree with his views?

Really?

How narrow-minded an in my view un-american is that?

Is that what he was saying?

Ah ha!

PedalBiker
January 29, 2013, 12:21 AM
Funny King wants to avoid having any responsibility for the repercussions of his expression of free speech, BUT

King wants gun owners to be punished for the actions of someone else.

The first amendment means you are allowed to ability to say whatever you want - you still need to suffer the consequences of your actions.

The second amendment means you are allowed the ability to own whatever weapons you want - you still need to suffer the consequences of YOUR actions.

There is no way a free country can exist when people are punished for the actions of others. You don't see movie theaters gagging people in the theaters so that they can't yell "fire". You can't punish an action that has not yet happened.

Ms_Dragon
January 29, 2013, 12:30 AM
When I first read IT I felt that King was a greatly disturbed person.

I've had reservations about him ever since.

hq
January 29, 2013, 09:48 AM
LOL

Your writing is exactly the opposite of his....his is plain and of 'the common man,' yours is completely pretentious and so difficult to decipher that I'm not spending the time to try and sort it out.

And I'm a technical writer/editor by trade so I have to sort thru such all the time...(not on my time off tho)

So I still dont know what your point is, but that's ok with me.

:banghead:

I give up. Be well.

Correia
January 30, 2013, 03:28 PM
Here's my take. As a novelist, I'm used to having my political views dismissed because I'm a conservative, even when it is a subject that I am an actual subject matter expert on. So I find it is hilarious that when it is a left wing novelist, then their opinion is extra important because they're a novelist.

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/how-to-get-correia-nominated-for-a-hugo-part-4-ten-ways-im-different-than-stephen-king-and-thus-deserve-a-hugo-nomination/

gp911
January 30, 2013, 09:59 PM
Yeah he's used that line in a couple books describing a fast car: "carburetor, fuel injection..." He's sloppy as hell about technical details. How hard is it to get the details of a car right, or a gun for crying out loud? But his opinion of gun rights matters? Pffft...

TimboKhan
January 31, 2013, 12:09 AM
Allrighty. I have nothing against mentioning books, and I have nothing against mentioning the political leanings of authors, but 3 pages of working Stephen King over is probably enough to establish the point and to determine that this really isn't gun related. So, with that I bid this thread adieu.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stephen King on Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!