Grand kids

PDA

Ditchtiger
January 26, 2013, 08:18 PM
So you may have passed on gun info to your kids, then what.
I've shown grand kids how to reload starting with loading Dillon primer tubes.
Not unsupervised, of course.
Then placing empty, fired, cases in the reloader no. 1 position.
They may get to pull the handle down some times, but I need to feel the primer getting seated.
All the kids seem to take a great joy in emptying the loaded round tray.

If you enjoyed reading about "Grand kids" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
splattergun
January 26, 2013, 08:55 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to hint to my grands that firearms exist. The wicked grandmother (from the other side of the family) will go ballistic and have the family investigated by DCFS (she's retired school shrink).
I have to go through the side door and introduce basic 4 safety principles through archery tackle ( bow and arrow is safe and sane).

I hope that in a couple years they will understand that Nana doesn't have to know everything, then I will introduce them to chemically fired projectiles.

Pray for me:evil:

gspn
January 26, 2013, 09:02 PM
My kids love it too. They'll come out when I'm reloading and sit with me for 10 or 15 minutes. They get to do some supervised work and learn a little along the way.

SleazyRider
January 26, 2013, 09:27 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to hint to my grands that firearms exist. The wicked grandmother (from the other side of the family) will go ballistic and have the family investigated by DCFS (she's retired school shrink).
I have to go through the side door and introduce basic 4 safety principles through archery tackle ( bow and arrow is safe and sane).

I hope that in a couple years they will understand that Nana doesn't have to know everything, then I will introduce them to chemically fired projectiles.

Pray for me:evil:
Ditto for me, brother. Hang in there!

BYJO4
January 26, 2013, 09:39 PM
It's great to teach kids how to safely reload as well as to shoot.

Mike 27
January 26, 2013, 11:41 PM
Mine helped for a while but now they are getting older and impatient. The game box on the TV is calling them I suppose. I still make him trim for me though (he is 15) and some other stuff. He loves shooting them so he has to help make em.

rfwobbly
January 26, 2013, 11:49 PM
Who needs a case feeder when you have grand kids !!

:D

41 Mag
January 27, 2013, 08:16 AM
I was raised up in a shooting, hunting, family. We always had guns and reloading equipment around. When you went to relatives houses, they had guns, and hunting, and shooting related things about their houses as well. It was more or less just an everyday thing. We never thought much if anything about it. I helped my pop load his ammo from as young as I can remember being able to hand him cases after lubing them on the sticky, stinky pad. By age 8 with heavy supervision, I was loading his ammo.

My only daughter, poor thing, didn't get much of a chance to be overly girlish. She was brought up planting food plots, filling feeders, shooting rifles, sorting brass and whatever else was going on at the time. She started hunting when she was 6 and got her first deer at age 9 with "MY" rifle not hers.

She just turned 30 this past week, and now has three boys of her own. The oldest, 11 now, has been with me in the woods since he was old enough to let me know he had to pottie. He got it in his thick red haired head, he wanted to shoot hm a hog right after his 3'rd birthday and simply wouldn't let it go. So I worked him up a reduced load for my .308, and two weeks before his 4th birthday he did just that, and hasn't slowed down much since. He has been helping me load ammo for a few years now and has also loaded some of his own and some for his mom as well, with my supervision of course. He has also taken several nice bucks, as well as does and a few coyotes and hogs along the way as well.

The two younger ones are now 6 and 4, and have been out with me as much as possible. We now live hours apart so we don't get to spend as much time together as the oldest and I did when he was younger. That said, they also help me out with all of the above mentioned things while we are up at the farm. It won't be long until they themselves will be in the stand with me, or their mom, shooting their first something or another.

towerdog
January 27, 2013, 01:00 PM
My 9 year old son loves to help reload and test rounds with me. He writes down the numbers 0ff of the chrony and grabs up brass I love it when he is helping.

Now the fun is beginning with my 2 year old grand daughter except she can not help yet or I would spend way to much time taking things out of her hands to do any reloading, LOL. When I clean brass in the winter I set the tumblers just outside my room so the noise is lower, I heard her voice but it sounded funny I got up and saw her laying on her belly over the tumbler with the biggerst smile on that face. :what: :) I am impressed with that Lymann tumbler it was still going, good thing I shortend the stud.

It is a good thing to pass down to our kids, grand kids and friends. This is something that my son and I really connect on. I am proud when I see him safely handle a gun and he understands how it works through reloading and cleaning. Who knows what our world is heading for, keep passing the knowledge along.

Trent
January 27, 2013, 02:01 PM
My daughter has been pulling the handle on my press since she was tall enough to stand next to it. I'd weigh out the powder charges, put the case in the shell holder, set the bullet on top, and say "Ok load that one!"

We've spent hours down there pulling the press handle together.

:)

FallAirFever
January 27, 2013, 02:18 PM
I dont have grand kids yet. But my kids sure do like helping me. My youngest daughter, 9, helps with sizing and seating sometimes.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m125/fallairfever/photo_zps9ed9d1f8.jpg

My best reloading partner is my soon to be 12 year old boy he loves to help me load and is involved in every step but priming. He does alot of shooting as well so its nice to have his help in cranking out the rounds he is firing off. The extra pair of hands can sure help speed things up. Here he is seating round for a buddies 250 Savage that we load for.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m125/fallairfever/photo-2_zpsb7729b26.jpg

cpt-t
January 27, 2013, 02:52 PM
I ownly have one. My Granddaughter probabley the only one I will ever have, and She is the light of my life. She is 5 years old now and helps me reload. It appears that she really likes to help me reload. She will ask me Poppy, lets go down to the gun room and make Bullets. I will always ask Her what kind She wants to make. And She will anwser 218 Bee`s or 22 Hornert`s or 45 Long Colts. I have to laugh each time, She helps me clean the mty brass, and hands me the brass and bullets as I work the press. She pulls the handel on the press sometimes but I have to help her with that. But when it is just the two of us setting side by side at the reloading bench some times She will just look up at me and give me a big hug and a kiss on the cheek, and say Poppy, I love you. And Guys thats about as good as it gets, for me.
ken

GP100man
January 27, 2013, 06:44 PM
I take my baby daughter(11 1/2) with me to LGSs & she sometimes gets ahead of me & will be meticulously handling a fire arm (ask before handling,bugger picker off trigger & no finger prints on steel) when I catch up ,I get praises of approval of instilling such gun ethics !!Yeah !!!!

They help when they can & when entering they reach for safety glasses automatically & wash hands immediately upon exiting.

I`ve found they do a better job priming (plinking ammo only at this point) if thpressmounted tools wether up stroke or down. I`ve instilled to never lean over the case when seating .

If you enjoyed reading about "Grand kids" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!