Using Federal small pistol primers for 9mm

PDA

gacajun
January 26, 2013, 09:30 PM
I normally use CCI small pistol primers for 9mm loads but lately I've had problems locating CCI primers. I use Federal small pistol primers for .38sp cowboy loads that I shoot in competition and keep a pretty good supply of them on hand.

Federal are a little softer than CCI but I have never used them for 9mm. Have others here used Federal primers in 9mm? I just don't know if the softer primers make any difference in the safety or performance in 9mm loads.

If you enjoyed reading about "Using Federal small pistol primers for 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BYJO4
January 26, 2013, 09:37 PM
They will work fine.

hueyville
January 26, 2013, 09:42 PM
+1 on doing fine. Federal's are my favorite primer except for size of box. When loading for evil black guns that use small rifle I use CCI #41's just because they are made for the abusive nature of the beasts they are fed to. For plinking rounds, I shoot whatever U.S.A. manufactured brand I can source at the time.

ReloaderFred
January 26, 2013, 11:37 PM
There is nothing wrong with Federal primers in 9x19. After all, that's what Federal uses in their factory 9x19 ammunition...............

Hope this helps.

Fred

gacajun
January 26, 2013, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the quick replies....I give them a try next week.

rfwobbly
January 26, 2013, 11:51 PM
Federal #100 are actually a better primer for your competition needs than the CCI. Once you use Feds you won' t be buying CCI any more.

If you enjoyed reading about "Using Federal small pistol primers for 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!