is .22LR in Stock Anywhere?

PDA

wcoats
January 26, 2013, 10:08 PM
Anyone know where I can find .22 LR in stock so I can go have some fun at the range?

If you enjoyed reading about "is .22LR in Stock Anywhere?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
351 WINCHESTER
January 26, 2013, 10:11 PM
I saw some shorts today at my local gs. Walmart still has some too. Only lr I have seen is rat shot.

BCCL
January 26, 2013, 10:30 PM
If you live near a Rural King store check there, I found over 1000 rounds of CCI mini-mag in one Thursday. (I didn't buy it all) :)

VAPOPO
January 26, 2013, 11:15 PM
Not untill these damn hoarders quit stockpiling for the apocolypse. Give it up already.

heeler
January 26, 2013, 11:30 PM
Shorts...Great idea.
Since my old bolt action Marlin model 25 handles all three variations of 22 I guess picking up a few boxes would be a good thing to do as I have lots of LR.

colorado_handgunner
January 26, 2013, 11:30 PM
Picked up 200 Remington Target at Walmart yesterday. First I have seen in a long time. It was all they had.

wcoats
January 27, 2013, 02:48 AM
Not untill these damn hoarders quit stockpiling for the apocolypse. Give it up already.
yeah, I hate that all the ammo is being bought up to be horded and sit around. I'm just trying to get some to go to the range and actually enjoy my fire arms

Skylerbone
January 27, 2013, 06:58 AM
That's a bit presumptuous. Shall I proffer that if you found 400 rounds in stock and only intended to shoot 50 rounds this week that you would buy it all? Would you then be a hoarder or just a guy who is planning on future range time?

There are a lot of rimfires out there and the .22 is the cheapest to shoot. As other calibers became unavailable or incurred a doubling in price, it was only natural that pressure would be put on the cheapest, most popular ammo available. So perhaps other shooters aren't hoarding but rather shooting their .22s instead of their centerfires...just like you.

For my part I haven't purchased a box of loaded ammo (with the exception of rimfire) in years. I also gave away a bulk box of .22lr to a fellow shooter who was a bit short sighted with his supply.

carbine85
January 27, 2013, 09:58 AM
I usually shoot Eley or Wolf Match so I have to order it. It might be worth the money to just pay the shipping and save gas money driving around trying to find it.

Inebriated
January 27, 2013, 10:01 AM
Local places all have it, as does Gander, Bass Pro, Dick's, Academy, and even a Wal Mart. It's not the greatest ammo... mostly Remington... but it's there.

Luckily, I don't have to buy any of it...

ole farmerbuck
January 27, 2013, 10:04 AM
I gave a 525 rnd box to a friend yesterday. I paid 15.50 for it a couple of months ago and today its bringing 60.00. (or more) I warned him of the shortage coming but he didnt believe me, he does now!

ole farmerbuck
January 27, 2013, 10:06 AM
Here ya go. Over 60.00/500

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11671302/ammo-for-sale-hunting-shooting/rifle-ammo/5000-rounds-cci-22-lr-40-gr-.22lr-free-shipping

Analogkid
January 27, 2013, 10:19 AM
I think he means $600.00

ole farmerbuck
January 27, 2013, 10:20 AM
yea I meant 60.00/500.

Fishbed77
January 27, 2013, 04:35 PM
All I can find anywhere is ratshot.

Seriously, people, why the panic hoarding of .22lR? This is crazy.

sixgunner455
January 27, 2013, 04:42 PM
None on the shelf here. Some in the stash under my kitchen table, though ...

I wouldn't call myself a hoarder, but ever since the last presidential election, I've made a habit of buying a brick or box of .22 whenever I was at the store, just whatever I could afford. A lot of it got shot up, a lot got experimented with, but a bunch more just got stuck in my shooting box 'cause I was buying it faster than I was shooting it.

Now, it's starting to get used. I like to shoot, not just own my guns. I haven't overpaid for any ammo yet, and hope I don't have to. I guess I am a hoarder, or a prepper, or whatever. What I am not, is a panic buyer.

gotigers
January 27, 2013, 04:51 PM
There is no 22LR around Memphis. I haven't seen any at a single store, either small LGS or big box store. I have missed a steel challenge and will miss the next one because of the hoarders and preppers. I can't wait until the AWB bill gets tossed. Then all of these folks that hoarded will start panic selling to pay bills.

hey_poolboy
January 27, 2013, 04:59 PM
Most places in central IL. are out of lr as well. I picked up 1500 a couple weeks back because I happened to be in the shop as they opened a new case.

Sent from my Motorola Galaxy s3 using Tapatalk 2

JVaughn
January 27, 2013, 05:01 PM
Most LGS in NE TN have it in stock, not too bad price-wise, a little inflated. Walmart gets in a few here and there, nothing regular.

Recon Ron
January 27, 2013, 05:04 PM
Find out when your LGS has their truck day and show up. Big 5 (my store in socal) gets it every Monday and by 30 minutes past opening we've sold over 10000 rounds of .22lr alone. Usually out of stock 2 hours past opening.

B!ngo
January 27, 2013, 05:43 PM
I surely hope that forum members are keeping a mental note of the retail/on-line companies that are charging unethically high prices for near-commodity products. It surely is their right to do so, but the economy tends to ebb and flow and when it comes time that there is plenty of supply out there (and it will happen; many never thought there would be a housing oversupply such as there is, on average, these days) I will happily direct my funds to those who had a long-view during this recently skewed market.
I wonder if we could 'pin' a thread where we can post sites that are charging say, 2x, 3x or more than retail on shooter-related products (e.g. ammo, guns, optics). Say the date, the product, the vendor, their current price, and the historic (or suggested retail price). It would be a pleasure to consult such a listing when times change.
B

Skylerbone
January 27, 2013, 06:07 PM
Problem is, distributors are charging more as are manufacturers. Pointing the finger at retailers may in some cases out unscrupulous sellers but in others may punish shops seeking replacement cost. For example, one LGS has USGI 30-round AR magazines available at $45 ea. and a number of ARs as well. All of those items however are consigned so the price reflects the attitude of their owners rather than his prices. He was forced to increase the price of primers from $33/1000 to $42/1000 to reflect his new cost. Retailers like Walmart are implementing ammo limits which some feel are unfair but others see them as a means of preventing hoarding by design. The number of WTS postings by individuals offering $40 or $50 PMAGS and the like indicate that any retailer offering pre-hysteria prices will simply be offering a large amount of stock to entrepreneurs looking to gouge. I would gladly support a list of retailers who withdrew firearms sales and quietly returned to market later.

ole farmerbuck
January 27, 2013, 06:59 PM
The ole boy selling this has been selling a lot of ammo! I dont know where they came up with all of it but he'll probably be retiring soon.:) Anyway, this 5000 blazer is ending in about 90 minutes. I bought some 22mag from them and it was quick shipping.
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11727941/ammo-for-sale-hunting-shooting/rifle-ammo/cci-blazer-22lr.-5000-rounds-factory-sealed-case!

shafter
January 27, 2013, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by VAPOPO

yeah, I hate that all the ammo is being bought up to be horded and sit around. I'm just trying to get some to go to the range and actually enjoy my fire arms

People who plan ahead and set aside ammo will always have something to shoot during times like this. It isn't getting any cheaper and it may not always be as available.

That being said I can usually find 22 ammo in my area. I just don't enjoy paying $30/500 for bricks. Fortunatey I found some bricks of CCI the other day for 20 bucks.

Fishbed77
January 27, 2013, 08:22 PM
I hate that all the ammo is being bought up to be horded and sit around. I'm just trying to get some to go to the range and actually enjoy my fire arms

Amen!!!

ole farmerbuck
January 27, 2013, 08:30 PM
I dont see why it will be so long before a place like Midway gets any in. Its like the factories have just shut down for a while.

Inebriated
January 27, 2013, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't call myself a hoarder, but ever since the last presidential election, I've made a habit of buying a brick or box of .22 whenever I was at the store, just whatever I could afford.

Been doing exactly this. Guess what? I, and one friend, are the only people I know who can actually go shoot right now! If people weren't so short-sighted, there likely wouldn't be a run on ANYTHING right now.

Skylerbone
January 27, 2013, 09:08 PM
Companies like MidWay will generally accept back orders for regular items. When availability becomes less predictable they will change stock to no back order while continuing to fill their backlog of back orders with any stock that ships. Who knows how much was back ordered or how close they are to fulfilling those commitments. IOW, no one can reasonably predict when it will once again become available.

Again, who's to say anyone is hoarding rather than shooting? This backstabbing of fellow buyers reminds me of anti-gun folks claiming only some people need firearms and we all need limits. I've got plenty because I prepared long ago. I passed a dozen boxes of Federal .223 sitting on the shelf more than a month ago knowing full well that it would be the last seen locally for some time. Figured someone who needed it now would be free to buy it or not. Same with the hundreds of bulk packs of .22lr that were sitting there looking lonely but perhaps all of you just recently bought .22 cal. firearms???

BSA1
January 27, 2013, 09:08 PM

Yep! They are giving Preppers a bad name.

JohnBT
January 27, 2013, 09:35 PM
Bass Pro had some small bulk boxes last Monday and there wasn't any feeding frenzy. I stood next to the display for 15 or 20 minutes talking to a guy and only saw one box purchased.

I didn't need any either.

John

CnRnut
January 27, 2013, 09:38 PM
Went to a gun show today,Rem 525 bricks 2 for $99.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

gspn
January 27, 2013, 09:53 PM
Again, who's to say anyone is hoarding rather than shooting?

Do you have any suggestions on what might have caused such an increase in .22 LR target shooting in the last month that has caused widespread shortages across the entire nation? Is there a new and popular league that we are all missing?

It's pretty obvious that it's hoarding behavior.

We had "normal" behavior prior to this episode...and in a normal market there is plenty of supply because people buy as they need it and it gets replaced on the shelves quickly.

We now have people buying years or lifetime supplies (i.e. hoarding) which is why the shelves are all empty. There is plenty of hoarding going on.

That said...people have a right to spend their money however they wish...if they want to be panicky sheep who stock up on a lifetime supply of .22 LR because politicians are talking about a ban on 30 round mags and .223 semi-auto rifles...so be it.

Skylerbone
January 27, 2013, 10:54 PM
Do you recall what happened to all the fuel efficient cars that sat on lots while the army of SUVs, Vipers and Corvettes rumbled by once gasoline hit $4.00 a gallon? Are you suggesting people were hoarding Civics? They bought what was cheap. Cars that sat unwanted months earlier became hot commodities in a market driven by price.

You want to shoot 200 rounds? Buy a less popular caliber. I've got a 12 gauge, two cannon boxes of shells for it and a sit down trap thrower for it, you think I won't be shooting? Thousands of round for my 9mms, my 40 S&W, my AR, my 30-06s and my .22s. I made it and I shoot it. Sorry you didn't do the same. Maybe take your wives to Walmart at 7AM and be the early birds that get 6 boxes...if you don't think that's hoarding...

It took more than an hour, more than a day for most shelves to be bare. Where have you been living?

Slotback
January 27, 2013, 10:56 PM
I have not seen any in my neck of the woods. Know several folks who are looking for some.

Hardtarget
January 28, 2013, 12:28 AM
Right now I'm working out of a 500 round box purchased in '09. It will take me a while to get to the box I picked up last August...as there are several to go through! :D

When I shoot through a box, I buy two to replace it. I never know when several of us will blow through a whole box just plinking and chatting. We do have fun with the .22's.

Mark

Recon Ron
January 28, 2013, 12:44 AM
Skylerbone, I work at a gun store, it literally takes hours if that for our shelves to go bare..... we get in our next truck tomorrow, if it takes pictures to prove it I can take them stocked at 6am and then at 10am when we open as well as 11am when we are sold out.....

A day? I wish. As I have said already in this thread we sell 10k+ rounds within a half hour.

Skylerbone
January 28, 2013, 01:52 AM
Understood RR but what I'm saying is that many stores had ammo a available for days or weeks after every forum on the net declared panic. That and guys who've owned rimfire firearms for years or decades ought to have taken a half hour at some point during that time to stock up a bit if they never bothered to do so sooner.

Now that guys who were shooting other calibers two months ago have switched to .22lr to save money or because other calibers are in short supply, more stress than has ever been witnessed is placed on .22lr supplies. How some decide all others buying ammo are scum of the Earth hoarders because ammo does not sit on the shelf for convenient pick up shows a contempt toward others.

What I'm saying is that you can't complain about what you didn't buy at the auction if you never bothered to bid and still garner sympathy from me. You know why batteries disappear from store shelves before a storm? Because everyone needs batteries but so few bother to prepare beforehand. If everyone bought twice as many batteries all the time, industry would increase production and retailers would increase stock and storms would come and go. If bottled water disappeared tomorrow I'd still be drinking it months from now.

pistolpositive
January 28, 2013, 04:42 PM
Heck, I had not realized there was an ammo shortage going on until this weekend. Spent a saturday working through a few hundred rounds of 9mm on my cz75b and my walther pps and thought I would pick up some of my carry ammo - the shelves on our three main stores in our burg were empty, for the most part. I have plenty of reloading supplies so the nines/45 acp/.357 I am good to go, but my .22 supply is a little lower than I would like. Should have been doing what I promised I would do - buy a brick or two a month. This time I hope to have learned my lesson, particularly if I get my 1022 this week as hoped.

shafter
January 28, 2013, 07:15 PM
Hopefully after this all dies down (if it does) the next time around we won't have many HighRoader's complaining about not having ammo to shoot. It doesn't hurt to keep a few months of ammo, especially 22 on hand so you can keep shooting when the supply chain gets clogged.

GlockFan
January 28, 2013, 09:13 PM
I knew I should've picked up more boxes of federal bulk pack in December of 2011. Gander Mountain had them for $14.99 each. I only grabbed 2.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

LubeckTech
January 28, 2013, 09:28 PM
The expected delivery dates for backordered .22LR on a site that was taking back orders was may thru July depending on brand. I saw a case of 10 Federal Bulk Packs go for $681.00 plus shipping
on GunBroker recently.

smokey262
January 28, 2013, 09:44 PM
panicky sheep who stock up on a lifetime supply of .22 LR
That sounds pretty harsh.

It took more than an hour, more than a day for most shelves to be bare. Where have you been living?
The sentence should close with "since November 2008"

How some decide all others buying ammo are scum of the Earth hoarders because ammo does not sit on the shelf for convenient pick up shows a contempt toward others.
And a lack of planning as well.

The important lesson here is don't let it happen to you again.

sixgunner455
January 29, 2013, 02:06 PM
Went to a Big 5 for their weekly ammo shipment with a friend from work to pick him up some .22, and stood in line waiting for them to unload it for 45 min. Was kind of surreal.

Especially since they got 8 50rd boxes of .22 ratshot, and 2 1k rd boxes of Winchester .22LR, and that was all the rimfire ammo on that truck. They got a bunch of other stuff, but that was it for .22.

We were 3rd in line. Guess who didn't get any .22? Everybody behind person #2.

I gave him a box of .22lr out of my stash and went back to work.

OpelBlitz
January 29, 2013, 02:13 PM
Walmart has pretty much nothing but .22, .40S&We, and 12ga. Everywhere else around here has a pretty good assortment of ammunition except .223.

Grunt
January 29, 2013, 03:22 PM
Years ago when the Klintonista regieme roamed the earth, I started stocking up on ammo to include .22LR a box or two every month. Over the years I think I at one time was up to somewhere around 20K rounds of bulk ammo. Who was the butt of many a joke about being ready for WWIII and what I was going to do with all that ammo and why I needed all that ammo and so on. Well, who's having the last laugh now?:evil: It wasn't expensive to build up those quantities over time especially when prices were much lower. Rather than paying $60 for 500 rounds, I still have bulk boxes of 550 rounds that are still sporting $9.95 price tags. As I fire off that old stock of ammo though, I still keep my eyes open for ammo that is available at normal prices. If I find it, I buy some more to replace the ammo I shot. If I don't, I won't pay through the nose for it when I can find it and still have a pretty healthy reserve to fall back on.
As for the whole "horder" accusations, who's fault is it that you were caught with your pants down? Like I pointed out, it wasn't exactly expensive to build up a good rainy day supply for times just like this! For whatever reason, you decided that times were good and lived under the assumption that things would always be easy, happy and trouble free. Want to go shooting, no problem, just stop by Wal-Mart of the local gun shop and pick up a box, right? Bottom line is that your foresight didn't extend past your nose and think that one day like today, this might be a reality. But, it's a lot easier to sit around pouting and crying and saying that anyone that did have a stockpile built up is a horder than to man up and admit that you screwed the pooch by not preparing for these days. One of these days, God only knows when, things might settle down, ammo is back in stock and not at unrealistic prices. Are you going to use today as a learning experience and actually start doing the same thing some of us have been doing for years or are you going to be the one to slip right back into your old routine until the next hard time comes around and you are screaming "horder" at those that did learn from this experience? Hey, right now you're screwed and there's no debate about that. During the good times you spent your money on other things and now you are paying the price for it. Might do you some good to check out what the ants and grasshoppers have to say about all this.

http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?sel&TheAntandtheGrasshopper&&antgrass.ram

shafter
January 29, 2013, 04:58 PM
Good post Grunt. The only ones I feel sorry for are the people who for whatever reason were never exposed to the sport of shooting and are just now looking to get started. If a newbie wants to start shooting I may let him dip into my bulk pack. To everyone else, I hope you learn from this.

heeler
January 29, 2013, 05:44 PM
Yes,good post Grunt.
I too started buying after prices receded after the 2008 diaster and since my political barometer keeps telling me to keep buying when decent deals come forth I have now a sizable inventory and vow to keep it that way.
Sorry for those caught off guard by this political blizzard we are now in.
If the results of November 2008 didn't get through to you and the same scenario that just occured after this past election then nothing is ever going to.

shafter
January 29, 2013, 07:32 PM
What is everyone paying for 22 ammo these days? (when available)

$30/brick seems to be the going rate from what I've observed today although in the past week I've seen it as low as $20 and as high as $40. I won't pay more than thirty.

sixgunner455
January 29, 2013, 07:38 PM
Nothing. I'm paying nothing for .22 as I haven't found any for sale. I ordered a brick of match .22 for its normal price (about twice what I would pay for any normal bulk .22) a few weeks ago, but I have yet to even have that charge hit my card, so I don't know when or if to expect it.

jrdolall
January 29, 2013, 07:42 PM
I bought several bricks from grafs a few weeks ago at about $18. Armscor brand but they don't show it any more. I saw an LGS with Remington Golden for $28 last week and they may have had 5 boxes. $28 for Remington Golden?

I probably have 10k rounds of .22 but we can shoot it mighty quick once the weather gets a litle nicer and hunting season ends.

I was able to procure 2k rounds of .223 this week as well from a friend that bought $75k worth from an importer at a phenomenal price and needs to recoup some of the investment.

ole farmerbuck
January 29, 2013, 08:22 PM
What is everyone paying for 22 ammo these days? (when available)

$30/brick seems to be the going rate from what I've observed today although in the past week I've seen it as low as $20 and as high as $40. I won't pay more than thirty.
I paid $15.79 delivered this summer and 20.00 + in December. The same stuff is now over 60.00 / 500!

gotigers
January 30, 2013, 08:57 AM
My walmart stocked 22lr two nights in a row. I have become a stock night vulture. I have been there first both times. They do have that 3 box limit.

B!ngo
January 30, 2013, 09:58 PM
I hear ya', but don't quite buy it. I've spoken to my FFL, a friend of mine and, although prices are rising through the channel, they rose at the retail level far before the new costs found their way to the retailer. And, the costs being incremented are far more modest than what we're seeing as buyers.
Again, retailers and all else in the food chain have the right to do whatever they choose, but we should use our electronic memory to ensure that in the future we reward those who didn't take short-term advantage of the situation.
Anyone willing to point out a retailer or an on-line seller who has seriously (2x, 3x, or more) their firearms related prices? Or is this just myth. I'm happy to keep the data organized.
B

Problem is, distributors are charging more as are manufacturers. Pointing the finger at retailers may in some cases out unscrupulous sellers but in others may punish shops seeking replacement cost. For example, one LGS has USGI 30-round AR magazines available at $45 ea. and a number of ARs as well. All of those items however are consigned so the price reflects the attitude of their owners rather than his prices. He was forced to increase the price of primers from $33/1000 to $42/1000 to reflect his new cost. Retailers like Walmart are implementing ammo limits which some feel are unfair but others see them as a means of preventing hoarding by design. The number of WTS postings by individuals offering $40 or $50 PMAGS and the like indicate that any retailer offering pre-hysteria prices will simply be offering a large amount of stock to entrepreneurs looking to gouge. I would gladly support a list of retailers who withdrew firearms sales and quietly returned to market later.

B!ngo
January 30, 2013, 10:03 PM
Separately, one mans pre-election pricing is another mans hoarding. I don't besmirch those who knew when to buy and bought enough to carry him/her through ammo droughts or times of high prices. Ultimately the system will re-stabilize and availability will improve. I do suspect that those who did not buy and store away will realize that they might want to do so in the near future and so that stabilization will take a while. Like six months to a year. And that's if there isn't a new, new normal brought on by unpredictable legislation in the near term.
I guess I can be guilty of some light hoarding over the last two years - having bought a few thousand rounds (total) of .22lr, 9x19 and .308 (not nearly enough of the latter). I just bought a bunch of new .50cal ammo cans so that I'll have more space for storage when the buying opportunity presents itself. I feel no guilt here. You know what they say..."Buy low, shoot high".
B

If you enjoyed reading about "is .22LR in Stock Anywhere?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!