crossbow people, need a little advice

PDA

hipoint
January 26, 2013, 10:24 PM
first off, I don't want to start a discussion about what bows are better and so forth, if you think this one is junk because of a brand name, please keep that to yourself, I've read all the internet reviews... I can afford this one and it's all I can get.

I am looking at trading an old jon boat for a barnett quad 400 tomorrow. I have a few questions.

How is the best way to tell if the limbs are cracked? I read about a cotton ball method, are there better ways?

What else should I look for on a used lower grade crossbow for signs of failure?

Judging a book by it's cover this fella doesn't strike me as "the sharpest broadhead in the quiver"... so I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow mistreated this bow, I'm looking for ADVICE on what to check for so I don't get "the shaft" as far as a bow with parts that are already failing. I am competent with bows, but this will be my first crossbow so just looking for advice on the matter. Thank you for responding in true High Road style ;)

p.s. sorry for the puns, couldn't resist!

If you enjoyed reading about "crossbow people, need a little advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mobuck
January 26, 2013, 10:44 PM
I have no ideas about your question but I question your comment about the Barnnett being a "lower grade Xbow". I bought one and recommended the brand to 2 others who bought Barnnetts. All of us are absolutely ecstatic with the product. Super accurate and perform well. I can't speak for the others, but every animal I shot at died within sight. Three shots=3 deer.

hipoint
January 26, 2013, 11:05 PM
there seem to be mixed reviews on them, i wanted to avoid people getting into arguments over which one is better and "x" brand is no good... I meant to say lower price bracket, but it came out wrong.

mjsdwash
January 26, 2013, 11:11 PM
your name hipoint tells me your used to being judged guilty of not spending enough... no help on the bow thou, sorry

hipoint
January 26, 2013, 11:41 PM
the name is intended to be funny on a weapons forum, my post being as it is was to avoid discussions such as this, I can see that this part of the forum is certainly not quality information though...

nevermind.

HighExpert
January 27, 2013, 01:21 AM
The cottonball test works pretty well for cracked limbs. The item I would look at is the string and cable. This takes the most beating on a crossbow. The Quad 400 was an adequate bow and is still being sold through several outlets. The expense of replacing a string/cable is taking it to a bow shop with a press and having them do it.

T.R.
January 31, 2013, 09:11 AM
I recommend taking this bow to a Pro Shop for inspection prior to purchase.

TR

XD 45acp
February 10, 2013, 07:29 AM
+1 on take it to a archery shop. They know exactly where the weak / stong points are. Usually, they'll take a peek and not charge ya nothing. The Barnett Q400 is a helluva crossbow. It is not what I own, but a buddy has one and it is pretty impressive. Crossbow Nation is a good place to visit for advice too.

PBR Streetgang
February 10, 2013, 08:58 AM
I'm still shooting a Barnett Commando from the 80's ,and I'm the second owner.........only have replaced the string twice....

Hammerson
February 10, 2013, 08:43 PM
The Quad 400 is a quality crossbow & I know a lot of people who shoot Barnett and could not be happier.

That being said, +2 on T.R.'s suggestion about having a pro shop give it a once-over. This is good advice with any used bow.

If you enjoyed reading about "crossbow people, need a little advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!