Carry Magazine(s)

PDA

lpsharp88
January 27, 2013, 04:09 PM
Ok, if this is a stupid question, just bear with me. The way I understand it, the repeated compression, and decompression of a spring is what weakens it, and ultimately makes it unusable. With that being said, how many rounds do you run through your carry magazines to ensure they feed reliability? Also, once reliability has been established, do you ever periodically use your carry magazine on trips to the range, just to make sure everything is still ok? I guess my question is, what is the round count that you feel is a good balance between adequate testing, and performance degradation?

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry Magazine(s)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mljdeckard
January 27, 2013, 04:22 PM
I run 200 rounds of the ammo I will carry with the magazines I will carry through the gun I will carry.

However, recently, I have been less rigid with modern polymer pistols, I don't find the testing needs to be as stringent with them.

I have never scrapped a magazine because I have felt the springs were worn out, but I have replaced some springs, particularly in older 1911 magazines.

Sauer Grapes
January 27, 2013, 04:32 PM
I have only 2 mags for one of my carry guns. I've put 1200 rounds thru the gun. I don't really designate mags for just carry or range use.

Like deckard, I have replace some springs on older 3rd gen S&W mags which were probably 20 years old. Once I know the gun and the mags function properly, I don't worry about it.

chris in va
January 27, 2013, 04:37 PM
Everything I use for carry is also used at the range and competitions.

Last thing need is a piece of equipment failing during an 'antisocial encounter'. I'd rather discover any flaws during a match.

ku4hx
January 27, 2013, 05:04 PM
I use all my magazines for all shooting and carry situations after I've confirmed in my mind they're reliable. I make no distinction between range and carry. Initially I do "function testing" of a given magazine with a minimum of five loadings and shootings each. I say initially, because every range session is, in essence, a testing session. If a magazine proves to be unreliable, I take it out of service for later disposition. I've trashed two ProMag BHP, two plastic Mini-30 mags (Eagle?) and two 1993 vintage Glock 23. I've also had magazines replaced by Glock for body cracking and chipping.

Years ago, I bought a bunch of magazines springs, followers and end caps as spares. I've actually replaced only four magazine springs for cause. Those were four of my Ruger KP90 7 round magazines that for some reason would lock open on the next to last round and leave the last round loose on top of the magazine just sitting there. Wolff +10% springs fixed that.

Since I bought my first center fire semi auto pistol in 1970, those are the only magazine springs I've ever had to replace. My experience is magazines springs are incredibly reliable and long lived. The original 1970 springs in my original OEM BHP magazines are still going strong.

JVaughn
January 27, 2013, 05:07 PM
Everything I use for carry is also used at the range and competitions.

Me too. I don't compete, but I train with my carry weapons. I have no idea what my round counts are, I just make judgement calls on the condition of my gear based on its performance.

lpsharp88
January 27, 2013, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all of the input! I guess I don't need to worry about it too awful much

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry Magazine(s)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!