SR22 Question

PDA

RTR_RTR
January 27, 2013, 03:25 PM
I'm looking to buy an SR22, but before I do, I wanted to confirm something.

I read that the earlier SR22's (marked on the slide near the muzzle "SR22 PISTOL", rather than just "SR22") had an issue with the steel slide stop gouging the aluminum slide. Does the change in marking from "SR22 PISTOL" to "SR22" coincide with the addition of the steel pin to the slide to prevent that gouging?

TYIA!

If you enjoyed reading about "SR22 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pukindog12
January 27, 2013, 04:02 PM
I also am looking for a SR22 and have been wondering the same thing. I read it within a week ago but I'll be damned I can find the post I read it. :o

meanmrmustard
January 27, 2013, 06:34 PM
No.

RTR_RTR
January 27, 2013, 07:13 PM
Expanding then - do some SR22's with the "PISTOL" marking have the steel slide pin, or do some lacking the "PISTOL" marking also lack the steel slide pin?

RTR_RTR
January 28, 2013, 04:35 PM
ttt

F-111 John
January 28, 2013, 04:48 PM
The issue was a plastic slide stop/take down lever cracking and breaking apart during use, launching the slide downrange under recoil.

Newer ones are fine, however. My wife has several hundred rounds on her slide stop with no issues, no cracking, no wear whatsoever.

But if it does bother you, there is an aftermarket slide stop: http://www.twintechtactical.com/Takedown-Lever.html

carbonyl
January 28, 2013, 05:46 PM
I have a SR22 with a test fire date of 10/16/12. I stopped counting after 3000 rounds and can see no signs of wear at all. This is a great little gun and is a pleasure to shoot.

marb4
January 28, 2013, 06:00 PM
I have over 5000 rounds through my "SR22 PISTOL" with no problems or unusual wear.

RTR_RTR
January 28, 2013, 06:28 PM
The issue was a plastic slide stop/take down lever cracking and breaking apart during use, launching the slide downrange under recoil.

Newer ones are fine, however. My wife has several hundred rounds on her slide stop with no issues, no cracking, no wear whatsoever.

But if it does bother you, there is an aftermarket slide stop: http://www.twintechtactical.com/Takedown-Lever.html

Interesting, I hadn't heard about that one!

What I was referring to was this

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/168731-ruger-sr22-slide-damage-factory-modification.html

http://www.grayhaven.net/Everquest/120331%20SR22%20Pin.jpg

Slide stop catch pin shown there.

Excuse me if any of my terminology wasn't technically correct.

Thank you both for inputting with your experiences! I suppose it's something I'll just choose not to worry about unless it becomes an issue, given Ruger's customer service reputation

Thank you all again!

danez71
January 28, 2013, 09:20 PM
I know exectly what youre talking about.

I have the early version and I havnt had any gouging issue.

It seems to me...... from my limited investigation...... that there were more problems with the 2nd gen pistols but that may be because there are a lot more of the 2nd gen pistols shipped.

Anyhow... the reports seemed to have died down so there shouldnt be an issue on anything new unless you get the odd ball that escapes Ruger.

BTW - I like mine. Zero failures of any king even using some really cheap stuff.

oncewaslost
January 29, 2013, 02:50 PM
I would love to have one of these but don't want to pay gunbroker prices. Hopefully some will start hitting the shops.

RTR_RTR
January 29, 2013, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the info danez - I'm going to change from avoiding those with the PISTOL marking (although I'm not big on the aesthetics of it regardless!)

Ditto once - I'm looking daily hoping to find one in my price range, but haven't had any luck thus far (once FFL/taxes/shipping is figured in) unfortunately!

RTR_RTR
February 1, 2013, 12:19 AM
I would love to have one of these but don't want to pay gunbroker prices. Hopefully some will start hitting the shops.

Just picked up a threaded barrel SR22 for 405 (350 before shipping and FFL fee). Was looking to keep it under 400 for a threaded barrel and around 350 for a regular version, so close enough for me!

If you enjoyed reading about "SR22 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!