Help with powder selection

PDA

JRWhit
January 27, 2013, 04:39 PM
I just recently came into a 300 weatherby magnum. I bought 1 box of cartridges and plan to keep it the last one I buy. I will be neck sizing to keep chamber fit and loading 180gn bullets, and probably 150gn bullets for smaller game. I'm trying to pick powder based on not only reliability and ample data. I've been looking at h1000, it seems to have a wider variety of data per different bullets. What are thoughts or preferences?
This will be the first rifle I load for, to this point I've only been loading handgun cartridges.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with powder selection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JRWhit
January 28, 2013, 08:09 AM
I guess I missed a factor in selection. Availability and or a long wait may also be at play in selection. I've found Hornady's Superformance online,but have heard little to nothing about it apart from it's use in factory ammo, and I am hesitant to pay they extra hasmat fee to get any.

MEHavey
January 28, 2013, 08:35 AM
IMR/H4350 will be the quarterhorse of powder selection for these purposes.

Lloyd Smale
January 28, 2013, 08:38 AM
powder i probably use the most in the 300wby is 7828. You might get a couple more fps out of h1000 or re25 but 7828 will give them a run with heavy bullets and do a bit better with the lighter ones. You wont go wrong with h1000 though either or re22

JRWhit
January 28, 2013, 10:31 PM
Well, I found some powder. Hodgdons Retumbo.
This is the only thing I have found available at this time. All of our local retailers are currently wiped out. Hodgdon only shows data for 200 and 220 gn bullets. I've found info from forums that say hornady reloading manual shows a max load of 86 gn for 180 gn bullet. It shows some promise,but regardless this is my only option for now. I'm still open to all suggestions for future reference and appreciate the ones received.

rg1
January 28, 2013, 11:43 PM
My 1st choice would be Norma MRP which is supposed to be the factory powder. MRP is often hard to find. Next choice would be Reloder 22 which is supposed to be the twin of MRP. Next would be IMR 7828, and last would be IMR 4831. Either MRP, Re 22, 7828, or IMR 4831 will work for most all bullet weights in 300 Weatherby. Retumbo data I've seen is for heavy weight bullets only, from 180 grains up. You should be able to find Alliant Reloder 22, maybe not in your local shops but on the net. Looks like Precision Reloading has 1 lb. bottles of IMR 7828 and Alliant Reloder 22.

savanahsdad
January 29, 2013, 03:38 AM
just check loaddata.com lots of 300 weatherby mag loaddata for H1000 .

I tryed H1000 in my 7mmWSM then switch to MAGPRO higher velocity at lower PSI so I check for your 300 wth mag with MAGPRO and there are only loads for Berger and Barnes:mad: another powder I like is H-4831 and there is a full page of loads for that one, around here the long range guys like H-1000 in there 338 Lapua's so it don't stay on the shelf for long ,
well good luck and be safe

JRWhit
January 29, 2013, 07:38 AM
just check loaddata.com lots of 300 weatherby mag loaddata for H1000 .
Wow, great website. Have to bookmark that one. Thanks.

savanahsdad
January 29, 2013, 10:12 AM
Wow, great website. Have to bookmark that one. Thanks.
anytime, your welcome, and the membership is well worth it

41 Mag
January 30, 2013, 06:20 AM
While I realize they are different, but they DO have similar capacities, my bud has been running H-1000 in his 300 RUM for a while now. When he got it, like you, he looked at the powder choices and picked the top 3-5 powders. From there he narrowed it down to the 3 which gave a broader span of weights, and went to work on development.

The sad part is he actually found AA-8700 to be the overall best, but about the time he did it dried up. With Retumbo he found that he got pressure issues which weren't consistent and could have been temp related. Either way it was expanding primer pockets one time and the next time it was fine. He also tried RL-25 and like several others found it to be great for accuracy and speed. However when the temps went from mid 60's to 85 or higher he got a substantial pressure spike. I personally can attest to that as I shot one round and it locked up the bolt, on a previously mid ranged load.

The H-1000 has shown very consistent velocities no matter the temp from 20 up to the low triple digits. He is getting 1/2 MOA or usually better out to 600yds using the 185gr Berger's. If you can find some I think you would be on the right track.

rsnell
January 30, 2013, 01:36 PM
I only load 180 grain bullets and use H4831 in the 300 Weatherby. The Federal 215 primer was developed for this rifle and is what I use. I have tried CCI 250 primers (magnum) but they were very inaccurate: 3-4 inch five shot groups at 100 yds. The load for my rifle groups five shots into 1 inch or a little less.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with powder selection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!