Red Label Weight

PDA

Eat Beef
January 27, 2013, 05:26 PM
Story of my life, I finally get ready to buy something and they discontinue it. So I'm shopping Red Labels. I'll mostly use it for quail, which these days means a lot of walking and very little shooting.

I decided on a 20, but I'd like to know the difference in weight. If they are pretty close I'd just as soon stick with a 12.

I couldn't find any info on Rugers website, so if someone knows what the difference between a 20 and a 12 with either 26 or 28 inch bbls is, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Red Label Weight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sauer Grapes
January 27, 2013, 05:41 PM
I think Ruger stopped making them a 2 or 3 years ago. {I think} Cabelas has one for sale and lists the weight @ 7lbs 2ozs. That seems a bit heavy for a 20ga. That was also 28'' barrels.
I'm not familiar with Ruger shotguns. They may be inherently on the heavy side. If you can save a lb or so, it can make a big difference by the end of a long day.

mothernatureson
January 27, 2013, 06:34 PM
hello eat beef,

I have owned a Red Label in 20 ga since 1999. I bought new and compared to 12 gauge, the 20, seems slimmer than the 12 gauge. l also tried the 20 gauge with barrels of 28 and 26 inch. The 28 barrel I took home, has nice heft and balance . I have never shot better than with this shotgun. There are some guys who constantly downgrade Ruger red label. Never had any issues with mine. Nor have other fellas I know with rrl

mothernatureson

kudu
January 27, 2013, 07:21 PM
A Red label is a fine hunting gun, but I wore mine out as a target gun after about 70,000 rounds of targets. A good target gun should run close to a million rounds before major upkeep is needed. I still have a 28 gauge Red Label that I like to shoot birds with or an occasional round of skeet.

COK
January 27, 2013, 07:22 PM
My 03 catalogue lists the 12 at 7.50 26 inch to 7.75 28 inch, 20 at 7 lbs 26 inch to 7.25 28 inch

Eat Beef
January 27, 2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks mns. I have shot significantly better with a RL than with anything else I've tried, to include Citories, And a silver pigeon. I'm pretty set on a RL, the weight and price are the only downsides to me.

I found a 12ga with 28" bbls listed at 7 # 10 oz. If there is only a few oz difference, I'd just as soon have the 12, as I might get to travel to pheasant country again someday.

Eat Beef
January 27, 2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks COK, that's exactly what o wanted to know. I'm going for a 12.

Thanks for the help everyone. Y'all are fast, too, we even beat the Red Label haters.

oneounceload
January 27, 2013, 09:09 PM
I owned a 28 RL, it did t last 3 months without major issues. Now that they are discontinued, and parts might be an issue, you may want to consider a better gun that is still in production. At 7#, a 20 is about a pound heavier than most others

If you enjoyed reading about "Red Label Weight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!